or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Latest over-the-air update adds Major League Soccer to Apple TV

Latest over-the-air update adds Major League Soccer to Apple TV

post #1 of 40
An Apple TV content update supplied on Thursday has added video from Major League Soccer, as well as the Disney Junior channel.

MLS

MLS for Apple TV includes free on-demand video highlights, analysis, fantasy soccer advice, and player profiles. Viewers can also watch full episodes of the series "MLS 36" and "MLS Insider."

The new application available on the Apple TV home screen also offers the latest league standings, and access to videos created by individual clubs.

Users who have an MLS Live subscription for $14.99 per month also have access to live streaming and archived versions of regular season matches, though local and national blackout rules apply.

MLS joins the National Basketball Association, Major League Baseball, and the National Hockey League in offering live streaming of games to subscribers on the Apple TV.

Also added on Thursday is Disney Junior, making it the latest channel from Disney to arrive on the Apple TV. Last month, the company also added Disney Channel and Disney XD to the Apple TV lineup.

Apple has been steadily adding channels to the Apple TV through new dedicated apps throughout 2013. That August update also added Vevo, Weather Channel and Smithsonian Channel, while a separate June update added HBO Go, WatchESPN, Sky News, CrunchyRolle and Qello.

Apple's set-top box was also updated with software version 6.0 last week, adding support for iTunes Radio and AirPlay content from iCloud, such as iTunes Movies or music from iTunes Match, to another person's Apple TV.
post #2 of 40
Does it brick ¿
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #3 of 40

Perhaps they can pry into the NFL one of these years. Be nice to watch the games (even if delayed) without cable or antenna.

post #4 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Does it brick ¿

I doubt it. Apple has made the 6.0 update available again after it was pulled. I had no issues after the update. 

post #5 of 40
This crap means nothing to me. Living in Southwest U.S., all we get stuck with are a bunch of channels on the AppleTV menu that just take up space and serve us no use. Let us delete this stuff already.
post #6 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Does it brick ¿

someone doesn't understand 'content update,' vs OS update.

post #7 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkikrome View Post

This crap means nothing to me. Living in Southwest U.S., all we get stuck with are a bunch of channels on the AppleTV menu that just take up space and serve us no use. Let us delete this stuff already.

after the last update, I just moved all the stuff I don't care about  'below the fold.'  Out of sight, out of mind.  Is that so hard?

post #8 of 40
I hope this trend grows. Personally I'd like F1 and UK and European Football on demand.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Long on AAPL so biased
post #9 of 40

I'm excited for an Apple TV App Store

post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

someone doesn't understand 'content update,' vs OS update.

Someone else doesn't understand PhilBoogie, our resident master of sarcasm¡

post #11 of 40
Major league soccer?

Apple should buy all sports. All.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Perhaps they can pry into the NFL one of these years. Be nice to watch the games (even if delayed) without cable or antenna.

Direct TV has the contract for that now (NFL Sunday Ticket) and it would be the one that Apple would need to pry into…

the 2015 contract is under negotiation now…. but the NFL thinks it's worth more than the market currently bears (DirectTV lost money on it over the last 3 years, paying a BILLION dollars a year for the privilege).  So, the question is who is willing to loss lead with the NFL.   Given terrestrial Internet in the US, I doubt that AppleTV will do better than DirectTV in gaining meaningful viewership (hard to get 20Mbps out on the farm, but Direct TV works great off the dish on the Silo).

The NFL loves it's broadcast partners (CBS, NBC, Fox, Disney/ABC/ESPN), and it's cable partners (NFL Network),  and since Nielsen (who's numbers set the advertising rates for national and local markets) doesn't monitor anything but Cable and OTA access [e.g. the nielsen 'box' doesn't look at Internet access], that it's going to be tough for Apple to get any sort of access without severely paying for the other networks loss.

Hence, I doubt that AppleTV (the internet version) will solve this beyond the 'cable TV' solution you see now for cable networks.(you need a cable contract to gain access only to your local market's offering). 

post #13 of 40

Let's see now. This channel is $15/mo. for live streaming, Netflix is $8/mo. , MLB is $, Hulu is $, etc. It adds up quickly doesn't it. Before long you're getting close to a cable/satellite subscription. I'm no longer so sure about this a la carte business model.

post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I hope this trend grows. Personally I'd like F1 and UK and European Football on demand.

Same here. Hopefully NBCsports will be added in the future to have Premier League games on demand. 

post #15 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Or, someone expects an elevated game of techno sarcasm and was woefully disappointed;-)

post #16 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Major league soccer?

Apple should buy all sports. All.

That would be cool, I suspect they could afford to outbid a few of the stations that currently win the contracts too. That would be anther nail in the coffin of traditional TV. I'd specially like it, as a share holder, if the deals were explosive [darned auto spelling] exclusive … to Apple. 1biggrin.gif

I like the direct purchase via Apple TV model, i.e. not having to have a fracking Cable contract (as I don't). The US Open did a phenomenal job of covering the event via their iPad App, I just used Airplay to throw it on the big screen, but that would have been nice as an Apple TV app too.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #17 of 40
Quote:

You can!

Settings > General > Restrictions allows you to turn icons on or off for these services.

The ATV interface, somewhat like Windows 8, is not intuitive.

post #18 of 40
Quote:

Direct TV has the contract for that now (NFL Sunday Ticket) and it would be the one that Apple would need to pry into…

the 2015 contract is under negotiation now…. but the NFL thinks it's worth more than the market currently bears (DirectTV lost money on it over the last 3 years, paying a BILLION dollars a year for the privilege).  So, the question is who is willing to loss lead with the NFL.   Given terrestrial Internet in the US, I doubt that AppleTV will do better than DirectTV in gaining meaningful viewership (hard to get 20Mbps out on the farm, but Direct TV works great off the dish on the Silo).

The NFL loves it's broadcast partners (CBS, NBC, Fox, Disney/ABC/ESPN), and it's cable partners (NFL Network),  and since Nielsen (who's numbers set the advertising rates for national and local markets) doesn't monitor anything but Cable and OTA access [e.g. the nielsen 'box' doesn't look at Internet access], that it's going to be tough for Apple to get any sort of access without severely paying for the other networks loss.

Hence, I doubt that AppleTV (the internet version) will solve this beyond the 'cable TV' solution you see now for cable networks.(you need a cable contract to gain access only to your local market's offering). 

Directv can license out their Sunday Ticket app to Apple for Sunday Ticket like they did with the Playstation 3. 

post #19 of 40

I am assuming they are using your CC Zip Code to apply this rule to content. 

Quote:
local and national blackout rules apply.

Personally I think sports are biggest rip off, Not only do they charge a fortune to go to a game, the hit you with huge cost on food and stuff (yes sport teams get a cut of this) and if you want to buy a team shirt that will break the bank. Then they want you to pay to watch them on TV and if the game is not sold out they blackout the game in your local area.

post #20 of 40
Quote:

after the last update, I just moved all the stuff I don't care about  'below the fold.'  Out of sight, out of mind.  Is that so hard?

You know if you go into Settings/Restrictions you can choose which apps to show and which to hide. I've hidden the vast majority of what's there. Not sure why it's in that section of settings but there u go...no need to look at all those icons anymore.
post #21 of 40
Quote:

I blame these upside down tiny characters 1biggrin.gif … I think /s stands out far better.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #22 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerTenor View Post

You know if you go into Settings/Restrictions you can choose which apps to show and which to hide. I've hidden the vast majority of what's there. Not sure why it's in that section of settings but there u go...no need to look at all those icons anymore.

Lots of people don't realize you can move your favorites to the top too.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #23 of 40
It would be funny after all the Apple copy cats rushed out to try to beat Apple to a 'smart TV', if by 'smart TV ' Steve simply meant own all the content people watch most … like sport etc. and have it exclusively on Apple TV … that would be 'smart' 1smile.gif
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #24 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Directv can license out their Sunday Ticket app to Apple for Sunday Ticket like they did with the Playstation 3. 

Would that still require you have DirectTV or is it completely separate?

post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Would that still require you have DirectTV or is it completely separate?

It would still require DirecTV.  Although you could always bum it off a buddy's account. ;)

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #26 of 40
Quote:

Use Parental Controls as a workaround to delete icons you don't want.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #27 of 40
If you want to hide any channels, you can do this under the Parental Controls section of the ATV.
www.GeekFitClub.com - A healthier lifestyle one byte at a time
www.GeekFitClub.com - A healthier lifestyle one byte at a time
post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I am assuming they are using your CC Zip Code to apply this rule to content. 

Probably not as you can take the Apple TV anywhere you travel to. They probably use Geo IP.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #29 of 40

I'm just ready to ditch cable, and pay for the channels I want.

post #30 of 40
Quote:

Let's see now. This channel is $15/mo. for live streaming, Netflix is $8/mo. , MLB is $, Hulu is $, etc. It adds up quickly doesn't it. Before long you're getting close to a cable/satellite subscription. I'm no longer so sure about this a la carte business model.

because none of the content owners want to piss off their current major cash cows network and cable partners.    

Using the NFL as an example… it ain't gonna piss off it's network partners…   It's getting a billion a year from Direct TV and a billion each from Fox, CBS and NBC… and 2 Billion from ESPN.  And a ton of money for the NFL network.   So to replace DirectTV you'll need to 'prevent' people from not watching your feed when they could be watching one of the others (local blackouts so local stations can watch).

And you got local broadcast franchises and cable networks 

6+ Billion a year.   and you think you're gonna get access to  any random  game or games on your Apple TV for less than $15 a month?

If anything, it will be the NFL network, who will start this. and my guess is they will be in the $20/month range… likely NFL Red Zone, and one streaming game per multi game time slot (2on Sunday).  And they will do this to leverage more from the networks… In the end you'll end up paying more…. not less.

The ala carte model will only work when someone makes a clean break with a hit show that 'starts' on the Internet.  House of Cards is likely that model, but it will be several years in the making.  Youtube (Google) paying for original content is a likely push as well.

And some new sport that is 'Internet only' would have to drive the model into live content.  

But Time Critical Live TV… it won't budge the model, because of the pricing of the content owners, and the fiefdoms of broadcast and cable monopolies.

post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerTenor View Post

I 'want' them… because I occasionally have guests that do have license to watch them… I just don't want them in my top 8.   And I'm assuming there will be folders pretty soon;-)

post #32 of 40
Interface for ATV needs a serious overhaul. Adding more channels is a great thing, but it's getting more cluttered on the home screen.
post #33 of 40
Quote:

Exactly, it will cost more than cable imo. You need cable subscription to use Disney and HBO right?

post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Apple TV is a bit more of a competitor (movie rentals) to DirectTV than PS3.

I agree they can.   Still need to pay DirectTV rates.   

The gold standard will be when the NFL allows you to spend $5 a single game to watch whatever team you want to watch on Apple TV.   I'm hoping that when the NFL sunday ticket is rewritten, the NFL network builds an App for that, puts it on AppleTV and the iPad.   To suck up the revenue it can get for the 'single ticket' customer, plus develop a direct relationship with them.

As it stands, the NFL is pushing the 'watch every game' market (gamblers and FF players).  What about the classic fan… I want to watch the Bears, and I'm in the  New Orleans Market.  That means 10+ or so weeks, I'm finding a bar to watch the game.    at $4.99, and let's say there are 1 million of us (across 32 teams, less than 33,000 per team… likely pretty close] , that's $50Million a week[800M a year] in revenue (less 30%;-), plus in app ads, plus direct marketing.   Couple that with dvr access($2.99) and other stuff, you could easily have a Billion dollar revenue app, and Sunday Ticket would be only slightly worse for wear;-).

post #35 of 40

This is the future of Apple TV.

Apple will leverage iCloud to stream content to Apple TV, iOS devices, and Mac computers, using the iRadio model; and users will be able to subscribe to individual or bundled "Channel Apps" through iTunes.

post #36 of 40
Quote:

I live in the Southwest US (Arizona, to be specific) and I don't understand your comment at all.  Is the Southwest US handled any differently than elsewhere?  FWIW, I like a lot of the new stuff.

Thompson

Edited by thompr - 9/26/13 at 10:23am
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It would be funny after all the Apple copy cats rushed out to try to beat Apple to a 'smart TV', if by 'smart TV ' Steve simply meant own all the content people watch most … like sport etc. and have it exclusively on Apple TV … that would be 'smart' 1smile.gif

That might happy in an alternate reality with sports, but never with all content.

But I'd say what Steve meant is probably pretty ambiguous at this point.
post #38 of 40
Quote:
"Originally Posted by djkikrome View Post

This crap means nothing to me. Living in Southwest U.S., all we get stuck with are a bunch of channels on the AppleTV menu that just take up space and serve us no use. Let us delete this stuff already."

In settings you can hide an channel you want.

post #39 of 40
Quote:

Why don't you hide the ones you don't use then? It's in Settings, under Restrictions.

Often times when there is a problem there is a solution if you look for it.

post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by InteliusQ View Post

This is the future of Apple TV.

Apple will leverage iCloud to stream content to Apple TV, iOS devices, and Mac computers, using the iRadio model; and users will be able to subscribe to individual or bundled "Channel Apps" through iTunes.

yes, but….

the future means that Apple has to license the content from the exclusive distribution rights owner, and create an app for each.

That's the hard part, because unlike music or movies where there are no regional or local monopolies (yes, there are national),  TV content is monopolized into regions and localities, made worse by the embedded advertising model the existing delivery system has.

By the time

- local ad revenue  (local Cable/broadcast franchise)

- network ad revenue  (national network or cable network ads)

- cross-marketing rights (Snapple paying for product placement in American Idol, a Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor in a Police show)

- Cable franchise payments (that $29.99 a month for extended basic.  $2 of that is going to ESPN even if you don't watch any content)

- Premium content payments (You buy a $20/month for HBO… $10 of that is going to HBO, and 5 of that is going to the content provider behind it).

is added up, the 'value' of content via the current model is Millions of dollars per episode (at least for what we care to watch).   So, when Apple TV comes in and says, "You want to distribute via ITMS… here is a way you can increase revenue…." The content owner is effectively looking at all those other revenue sources and dependencies on the current model, and trying to figure out how to avoid alienating these cash cows, yet trying to get MORE money per pair of eyeballs out of the Apple TV stream,  I don't see how AppleTV will be 'cheaper' for an individual who watch 20 hours of content a week.  (my guess, it's going to about $1-3/hour for boring stuff, and $2-5/hour for live sports stuff… oh, and if you watch 30 minutes of the Notre Dame Navy game, that's $5, and 1 hour of Alabama-Auburn… $5, etc etc.

And to stream 1080i… that's gonna cost you a huge amount of CDN and InterPipe costs.   I don't see where Apple can make any money in that model… 

The only way is when the Aggregators (cable companies, networks) force you into their model, via an App.   And that sucks.

I do think the 'happy medium' will be

- a powerful Apple TV hardware box with a cable connector

- a 'Cable/Network App frame work' that any cable/Network company can install

- with an SDK that exposes the current content (for searching)

- can talk to their cable signal (their security within their sandbox)

- the Apple TV 'Spotlight' app being able to search all underlying content

- cloud smarts to map all content by it's metadata

- and determine the 'most effective' way to hand DVR[time shifting] requests

- and a magical interface that Apple provides via an iOS device that allows you to navigate all this rich content

It's the only way the cable companies will play nice, and allow Apple to give the experience they want to give.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Latest over-the-air update adds Major League Soccer to Apple TV