or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple has raised $65M for RED's fight against AIDS, leads all supporters
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple has raised $65M for RED's fight against AIDS, leads all supporters

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
U2 frontman Bono's Product Red charity took to Twitter to announce that Apple has raised more than $65 million to benefit The Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria.

Product Red Tweet


Product Red, a charity created by musical superstar Bono to raise money to benefit The Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria, thanked Apple on Thursday for raising more than $65 million for the cause since the iPhone maker's introduction of (Product) RED Special Edition iPods and accessories in 2006. The announcement, first spotted by The Loop, comes in the midst of the Clinton Global Initiative's 2013 annual meeting.

Bono told the assembled crowd that "Apple is certainly leading the crew" when talking about Product Red's corporate partners. Apple donates 50 percent of the profits earned from sales of (Product) RED merchandise to the organization.

Red iPods and accessories are not Apple's only contribution to the charity. Apple Senior Vice President of Design Jony Ive recently teamed up with fellow industrial designer Marc Newson to design several one-of-a-kind products for a benefit auction, including a pair of 18-karat solid rose gold Apple EarPods and a completely custom Leica Digital Rangefinder.
post #2 of 21
uh? what about herpes? Damn cold sores.
post #3 of 21

Way to go Apple. I am going to buy the Red iPhone case, when I get my gold iPhone 5S in 21 business days.

post #4 of 21

Good for Apple! :) I had a (Product) RED iPod Mini.

 

Plan to get a (Product) RED case for a new gold 5s.

 

I think a (Product) RED 5c would be cool, too. Also, a (Product) RED iPad Mini, and, dare I say a (Product) RED MBA 11'

 

 

The finish on the iPod mini was really cool.

 

Best

post #5 of 21

If Apple release a red iPhone and a red iPad, the number will go much higher ... :)

post #6 of 21
I opted for the Black & Slate iPad mini with the (Product) RED smart cover and I am very happy with the combination.
post #7 of 21
Originally Posted by mistervela View Post
uh? what about herpes? Damn cold sores.

 

SEE. NOTHING Apple does is enough. Apple’s actively working to cure AIDS and people whine they’re not curing everything else. Get over it.

 

Oh, and didn’t we just discover an anti fungal foot cream that kills HIV permanently?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #8 of 21
I have the same configuratioin with my iPad mini & smart cover as iphone_ui_guy. On a side note: I wish Apple would bring back orange colored smart covers.
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post
 

Good for Apple! :) I had a (Product) RED iPod Mini.

 

Plan to get a (Product) RED case for a new gold 5s.

 

I think a (Product) RED 5c would be cool, too. Also, a (Product) RED iPad Mini, and, dare I say a (Product) RED MBA 11'

 

 

The finish on the iPod mini was really cool.

 

Best

 

Already got one on my silver 5s:-

 

 

I buy most of the product Red products, including Shazam and a few christmas albums from iTunes.

 

It's an easy way to help out.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
 

 

Already got one on my silver 5s:-

 

 

I buy most of the product Red products, including Shazam and a few christmas albums from iTunes.

 

It's an easy way to help out.

 

Good show, Hill! Looks great! :)

post #11 of 21
Just remember.. the global fund LOST $34m a couple of years ago...
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post



I think a (Product) RED 5c would be cool, too. Also, a (Product) RED iPad Mini, and, dare I say a (Product) RED MBA 11'



 



I totally agree! I asked a sales person at the local Apple store and he said he was surprised they didn't have a product RED 5c. That was probably my biggest surprise
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post
 


 

I think a (Product) RED 5c would be cool, too. Also, a (Product) RED iPad Mini, and, dare I say a (Product) RED MBA 11'


 

 



I totally agree! I asked a sales person at the local Apple store and he said he was surprised they didn't have a product RED 5c. That was probably my biggest surprise

 

I have to believe Apple has thought of it...probably coming soon. :)

 

Best

post #14 of 21
Don't forget that Apple's charitable matching program raised $2.6M for nonprofits...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/11/10/apples_charitable_matching_program_raises_2_6m_for_nonprofits
post #15 of 21
Apple is the worlds most valuable company with annual profits measured in billions. No offense but $65M raised over 7 years since 2006, or $10M per year is somewhat pathetic. Apple efforts are token gestures at best. Why not create one of the new iPhone 5c colors as a Product Red color for example? And yes, I buy Product Red wherever possible...
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiepaul View Post

Apple is the worlds most valuable company with annual profits measured in billions. No offense but $65M raised over 7 years since 2006, or $10M per year is somewhat pathetic. Apple efforts are token gestures at best. Why not create one of the new iPhone 5c colors as a Product Red color for example? And yes, I buy Product Red wherever possible...

 



They are the worlds most valuable company who have donated $65 million from this one gesture alone. This is not the only charitable giving that Apple does I am sure. Either way, Bono seemed impressed with their "token gesture"
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrul View Post

Just remember.. the global fund LOST $34m a couple of years ago...

This is the thing with charities you need to keep a close eye on where the money goes!!!😔😔😔😔. I don't know much about the product RED initative bit even good intentioned charities attract the wrong sort of people that want to "help out".

In any event if Apple really wanted to help out, they would look into establishing a medical research division. On the other hand they have given so much to Stanford that it is practically their research center.
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiepaul View Post

Apple is the worlds most valuable company with annual profits measured in billions. No offense but $65M raised over 7 years since 2006, or $10M per year is somewhat pathetic. Apple efforts are token gestures at best. Why not create one of the new iPhone 5c colors as a Product Red color for example? And yes, I buy Product Red wherever possible...

 



They are the worlds most valuable company who have donated $65 million from this one gesture alone. This is not the only charitable giving that Apple does I am sure. Either way, Bono seemed impressed with their "token gesture"

 

Of course Bono is going to say that, he's not going to cut off the hand that feeds him now is he?

But the reality is these are token gestures.  Apple's total operating profit over that period would be in excess of $100B.  $65M over the that period is just 0.065%.  I'm sorry, but 0.065% by anyone's measure is a "token gesture", substantially less than even the interest earned on that profit.  The amount is still 5-6 times smaller than many countries foreign aid budgets paid for by taxpayers.

I get your point about not being Apple's only charitable action, but the reality is it's a very small amount when put in perspective.  And here's the killer point: It's not Apple donating the money off the bottom line for charity's sake, it's simply cash being redirected from sales to consumers who are choosing to pay a premium for Product Red products because they support the cause.  So in some ways it's not even Apple donating the money.  More could be done.  It's a token gesture.


Edited by aussiepaul - 9/26/13 at 5:20pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiepaul View Post

Apple is the worlds most valuable company with annual profits measured in billions. No offense but $65M raised over 7 years since 2006, or $10M per year is somewhat pathetic. Apple efforts are token gestures at best. Why not create one of the new iPhone 5c colors as a Product Red color for example? And yes, I buy Product Red wherever possible...

 


They seem to be the most "token" gestures of any company, as stated by Bono.
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiepaul View Post

 

Of course Bono is going to say that, he's not going to cut off the hand that feeds him now is he?

But the reality is these are token gestures.  Apple's total operating profit over that period would be in excess of $100B.  $65M over the that period is just 0.065%.  I'm sorry, but 0.065% by anyone's measure is a "token gesture", substantially less than even the interest earned on that profit.  The amount is still 5-6 times smaller than many countries foreign aid budgets paid for by taxpayers.

I get your point about not being Apple's only charitable action, but the reality is it's a very small amount when put in perspective.  And here's the killer point: It's not Apple donating the money off the bottom line for charity's sake, it's simply cash being redirected from sales to consumers who are choosing to pay a premium for Product Red products because they support the cause.  So in some ways it's not even Apple donating the money.  More could be done.  It's a token gesture.

 


and what are you doing for this charity (or any others)?
post #21 of 21

Anecdotal, I remember reading that Steve Jobs refused to put his product in brackets.... But I think it would have been a better way to show support. I know it's a minor thing, but it would have been nice.

 

(iPod Mini) RED

 

I thought that was Bono's preferred way of writing it...

 

Just  a really minor thing, I know...

 

For those who think 65M is not enough.. of course it's not. 65M doesn't even buy you a decent ueber-mega yacht (think Russian billionaires, and not only them) So think of what would be possible if Abramovic gave one of his own up...

 

Does that put in perspective what Apple is doing and other are not?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple has raised $65M for RED's fight against AIDS, leads all supporters