or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone demand in China, Japan projected to push Sept. quarter sales to 34.5M

iPhone demand in China, Japan projected to push Sept. quarter sales to 34.5M - Page 2

post #41 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Still doomed.

Haha doomed is Samsung with the classy PLASTIC GOLD phone! PLASTIC!!!

Should we being up the fugly gigantic watch?
post #42 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

She is clearly paid by Apple to say this. Everyone knows that the iPhone is too expensive for China and will be a major flop.

/s

Yes the flop already sold more in one week then the Samsung s4 in 6 months?
post #43 of 58
How many Samsung s4 estimated to sell in the quarter compared to 34million iPhone?

Anyone want to guess?

7 million.

Yes 24 million to 7
post #44 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by castcore View Post

How many Samsung s4 estimated to sell in the quarter compared to 34million iPhone?

Anyone want to guess?

7 million.

Yes 24 million to 7

That was the estimate before Apple shit all over their parade. Wasn't the S3 declared "SmartPhone of the Year" and had the analysts practically orgasming at their typewriters? Only for it to be a dud?
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #45 of 58

oh boy, here we go again… "analysts" fluffing up the expectations, inflating the "anticipated sales results", which will be repeated until it's treated like as a given, and then when those numbers exceed all reason, and Apple doesn't "meet the expectations of the Street", the stock will come hurtling downward again...

And the Hedge funds will be there waiting to snap up shares by the truckload… just in time for the next quarterly report (covering the holidays), where Apple will no doubt have yet another record smashing sales and profits result, and the stock will soar. That's when they'll sell, and start issuing a new round of negative or impossibly high estimates to put downward pressure on the stock again.

This pattern is becoming so common, you'd think some regulatory body might take notice *cough* SEC *cough*...

Edited by tribalogical - 9/26/13 at 10:43pm
post #46 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambira View Post

I agree.  Selling more is really bad and will kill Apple in the long run just like all the other companies that sell more and go under.

Ohh, I see. Angling for Gene Munster's job now, are we?

post #47 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by castcore View Post

Haha doomed is Samsung with the classy PLASTIC GOLD phone! PLASTIC!!!

Should we being up the fugly gigantic watch?

Just to be clear, it was a joke.
post #48 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

oh boy, here we go again… "analysts" fluffing up the expectations, inflating the "anticipated sales results", which will be repeated until it's treated like as a given, and then when those numbers exceed all reason, and Apple doesn't "meet the expectations of the Street", the stock will come hurtling downward again...

And the Hedge funds will be there waiting to snap up shares by the truckload… just in time for the next quarterly report (covering the holidays), where Apple will no doubt have yet another record smashing sales and profits result, and the stock will soar. That's when they'll sell, and start issuing a new round of negative or impossibly high estimates to put downward pressure on the stock again.

This pattern is becoming so common, you'd think some regulatory body might take notice *cough* SEC *cough*...

It's been happening for years. I think that's the reason that Cook made his reason announcement on guidance saying that they'd be within the previous guidance range (although near the higher end). He was trying to forestall some of the more ridiculous expectations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

That was the estimate before Apple shit all over their parade. Wasn't the S3 declared "SmartPhone of the Year" and had the analysts practically orgasming at their typewriters? Only for it to be a dud?

That's pretty much the way it works. Apple's products have led the industry for so long that it's no longer news when Apple excels so the press is looking for underdogs. If they praise a phone and it does well, they're heroes. If they praise a phone and it flops, no one cares.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #49 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

I would have thought the SEC would have made a move by now, but since it has not I am doubting it ever will. When ordinary citizens recognize the pattern of stock manipulation AND celebrity citizens get on television and ANNOUNCE how the Apple's stock is manipulated AND the SEC still does nothing, well folks all that is left is what we have today.

If I eventually proven wrong, I will express my surprise here. So, SEC prove me wrong. Oh, if you go after Piper Jaffray again, please do not allow the company to get away with destroying email this time.
post #50 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's been happening for years. I think that's the reason that Cook made his reason announcement on guidance saying that they'd be within the previous guidance range (although near the higher end). He was trying to forestall some of the more ridiculous expectations.
That's pretty much the way it works. Apple's products have led the industry for so long that it's no longer news when Apple excels so the press is looking for underdogs. If they praise a phone and it does well, they're heroes. If they praise a phone and it flops, no one cares.

What I am finding interesting over on Patently Apple is the Korean press is currently not giving Samsung a free ride as the US press is. The K press wants better from Samsung since the company has promoted itself as better while showing it is not.

The US press is just accepting everything "good" Samsung says. With the S4 failing, the Gear not having a wow factor, the upcoming Note 3 being another yawn, an upcoming 64-bit smartphone announced very soon after Apple revealed the iPhone 5s, Samsung interviewing the Apple fans it unabashedly disparaged all this year, seeing Samsung copy Apple at every possible turn, having a huge market share of phones with customers not spending much if any money, splintering Android for its own (I really am not unhappy about that), promoting flimsy plastic as having the same quality as metal then promoting it will make metal phones.....

Wow, talk about 9 months of fail from Apple's strongest, most innovative competitor. If this was Apple... Wait, the US press TRIED to make this Apple!!

Jeez, how the heck does any analyst who has promoted Samsung still get any press?
post #51 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

It was a statement, pal. That's all. Just a statement. Why does everything have to be an issue.

No issue with you, just with the oft repeated statement — the implication of said statement being that China Mobile won't really provide *that* much of a boost.

It was untrue with T-Mobile, and will likely be untrue with CM as well.

My "so what" response wasn't directed to you, but rather a response to the statement. 

post #52 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

No issue with you, just with the oft repeated statement — the implication of said statement being that China Mobile won't really provide *that* much of a boost.

It was untrue with T-Mobile, and will likely be untrue with CM as well.

My "so what" response wasn't directed to you, but rather a response to the statement. 

Oh... okay.

I'm curious... does anyone know if China Mobile's bottom line has been affected by not having the iPhone?

If CM's bottom line has stayed flat or actually increased, I'm thinking that CM would use that and their large subscriber base to try and persuade Apple to give them a break on the cost of each iPhone, maybe with the added incentive of agreeing to a certain number of phones.

A deal like that could really shake up the phone industry in China.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #53 of 58
Quote:

Oh... okay.

I'm curious... does anyone know if China Mobile's bottom line has been affected by not having the iPhone?

If CM's bottom line has stayed flat or actually increased, I'm thinking that CM would use that and their large subscriber base to try and persuade Apple to give them a break on the cost of each iPhone, maybe with the added incentive of agreeing to a certain number of phones.

A deal like that could really shake up the phone industry in China.

Interesting. Good thing Apple didn't price the 5C at $450 then I suppose.
post #54 of 58
Quote:

Interesting. Good thing Apple didn't price the 5C at $450 then I suppose.

Well, I'm thinking...

Why would China Mobile even bother with the 5c if the reports are true that other vendors are discounting it 17.5% to move the stock they have on hand.

If they could get it from Apple for even 7-10% cheaper they would be doing better than their competitors. Possibly allowing them to sell it even lower.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #55 of 58
Quote:

Well, I'm thinking...

Why would China Mobile even bother with the 5c if the reports are true that other vendors are discounting it 17.5% to move the stock they have on hand.

If they could get it from Apple for even 7-10% cheaper they would be doing better than their competitors. Possibly allowing them to sell it even lower.

I think the 5C was priced specifically to allow Apple to be more flexible and aggressive with pricing and carrier agreements.
post #56 of 58
Quote:

I think the 5C was priced specifically to allow Apple to be more flexible and aggressive with pricing and carrier agreements.

There are some members who would argue that Apple doesn't negotiate. China Mobile might change that stance.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #57 of 58
I love how Apple takes all this criticism and must comply to extra standards, but integrates it all and moves up another step. I'm waiting with baited breath for Google and Samsung to be subjected to the same, detailed attacks.

'Android has NO security! Gov't panel investigates lack of accountability.'
'Samsung bankrupt after DOJ order to refund Apple for losses.'
post #58 of 58

Fully agree! However, I love Apple's response: We are still here doing better every year, and ignoring stupids.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • iPhone demand in China, Japan projected to push Sept. quarter sales to 34.5M
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone demand in China, Japan projected to push Sept. quarter sales to 34.5M