or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › In last company meeting, Ballmer calls Apple 'fashionable,' says Microsoft about 'doing more'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

In last company meeting, Ballmer calls Apple 'fashionable,' says Microsoft about 'doing more' - Page 4

post #121 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

And Apple is squandering their chance to make iWork the Office of the next decade or more… :grumble:

 

Yes, they really need to put more effort in to that product. Regular updates would be a nice start.

post #122 of 140
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Yes, they really need to put more effort in to that product. Regular updates would be a nice start.


Hopefully the update this fall (84.54 days to go, Apple) will not only be across the entire ecosystem (OS X, iOS, and web), but also bring fresh tools to the suite and, dare I say it, 1:1 COMPATIBILITY.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #123 of 140
Msft employees are watching Silicon Valley and all the start ups and saying man I gotta get out a here..
post #124 of 140

I truly wonder sometimes how much damage Apple would do to Microsoft if they released OS X for regular PC's during the change of the guard (when Balmer leaves).

post #125 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Now THAT is funny.

post #126 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post

I truly wonder sometimes how much damage Apple would do to Microsoft if they released OS X for regular PC's during the change of the guard (when Balmer leaves).

Apple will do more damage to itself than to MS.
post #127 of 140
Here we go, some of the video:



I didn't know Nokia made shirts too. I want to see the Michael Jackson dance though.

Ballmer: you work for the greatest company in the world, soak it in

Don't lie to them on the way out Ballmer. I take it they're supposed to be soaking in the sweat from the sweaty bald man as he jumps around.

Audience: we love you!
Ballmer: this isn't about any one person. It's about a company that's important, that's forward-thinking, that's innovative, that's ethical, that hires great people and lets them lead great lives, that helps people around the world realise their full potential.

Ok enough about Apple, what about Microsoft?

Ballmer: Microsoft's like a 4th child to me

That's the one that gets all the leftover genes and is put up for adoption.

Ugh, that video is so cringeworthy, here's one to help you forget:



The reaction of the girl on the left is hilarious.
post #128 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
 

Thats what you get from a piss poor looser.  He has basically singlehandedly made microsoft irrelevant.  And hes walking away with millions for doing it.

 

Billions

post #129 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Here we go, some of the video:



Ugh, that video is so cringeworthy . . .

Ouch. Even the person holding the camera couldn't stand to put the camera on him.

"Soak it in," he says. Like wallow in it.
post #130 of 140
Usually you can do more with a simpler tool than a more complex one. Especially if you understand how to use it. I vividly remember in the early '80s my uncle taking me to task with a slide rule while I was still trying to clear out the memory registers on my HP calculator to even start solving the problem.

The big problem MS his it that it wants people to do more work. People don't want to do more work on a tablet. They want to entertain themselves. Relax. Read. Play Games. Surf the web. The work they do and things they create with iOS or Android are things they enjoy doing not things they have to do. I think most people are very happy to keep the company CIO out of the decision on what tablet they read their children's bedtime stories from. I think MS is heading down the same road as BlackBerry... all work and no play... makes Jack a 'poor' boy...
post #131 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swinson View Post

Usually you can do more with a simpler tool than a more complex one. Especially if you understand how to use it. I vividly remember in the early '80s my uncle taking me to task with a slide rule while I was still trying to clear out the memory registers on my HP calculator to even start solving the problem.

The big problem MS his it that it wants people to do more work. People don't want to do more work on a tablet. They want to entertain themselves. Relax. Read. Play Games. Surf the web. The work they do and things they create with iOS or Android are things they enjoy doing not things they have to do. I think most people are very happy to keep the company CIO out of the decision on what tablet they read their children's bedtime stories from. I think MS is heading down the same road as BlackBerry... all work and no play... makes Jack a 'poor' boy...

This is an excellent point, the way it is framed. We might be looking at the difference that being in Seattle makes on the company's mindset. Combined with what Jobs said about Bill's lack of experience with his, Jobs's, favorite shamanic conjuring substance. Just imagine Steve Ballmer on acid . . .

Not designed or even conceived in California!
post #132 of 140

Failed leaders always blame someone else for their lack of success. 

post #133 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Ballmer: this isn't about any one person. It's about a company that's important, that's forward-thinking, that's innovative, that's ethical, that hires great people and lets them lead great lives, that helps people around the world realise their full potential.

Ok enough about Apple, what about Microsoft?

LOL. Exactly what I was thinking.

I believe those tears are real. They come from an executive who is being shown the door, under the face-saving fiction of "retirement."

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #134 of 140

I think the subtext of this is: "I am not just stupid, I am unrepentantly stupid."

AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
post #135 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post
 

 

Thanks for asking.

 

Assuming the *quote* is correct, he didn't say Microsoft was doing more. He said Microsoft was "about doing more". Likewise, he didn't say Google knew more (do you really think he would concede that?); he said they were "about knowing more".

 

Think about his metaphors:

 

Apple = fashionable

Amazon = cheap

Google = about knowing more

Microsoft = about doing more

 

A different way of wording it:

 

Apple = design-driven 

Amazon = price-driven 

Google = aggregating information (search, book-scanning, ...)

Microsoft = providing productivity (Office, CRM, SQL Server, ...)

 

Is that really a wrong way of differentiating the business models of the Four Horsemen? Of course people here are incapable and in fact unwilling to see it that way. They prefer to mock his appearance instead. After the guffaws, how intelligent and insightful does one really feel?

 

You are clearly cast from the same mould as Ballmer. "Fashionable" is not a metaphor — it is an inaccurate way to describe your competition.

 

And since you seem to take pride in these dripping with condescension posts, I'll point out that if people were incapable of seeing things as you'd like them to see things, then describing them as also unwilling would be redundant and/or incoherent. 

 

Go back to school.

AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
post #136 of 140

Not the modern GUI, surely? Created?

PS. Not saying Microsoft has, either. These are both

2 thieving companies. The one +ve thing I see about

Microsoft is that they have brought computers and

computing to many unfashionable parts of the world

where the name Apple stands for a 3rd choice fruit

after bananas and mangoes.

post #137 of 140
Quote:
 "We have unbelievable potential in front of us, we have an unbelievable destiny,"

 

 

Why don't I believe that?

post #138 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post


Why don't I believe that?

That could be bad just as easily as good.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #139 of 140
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Why don't I believe that?

 

I believe that Microsoft’s destiny is unbelievable.

 

Like thus:

“It’s unbelievable that a company which once commanded 95% of the world’s computer marketshare is now destined to file for bankruptcy.”

“Guess that goes to show what happens when you steal ideas from those who create them, huh?”

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #140 of 140
Quote: "Only our company and a handful of others [Apple, Google and Amazon] are poised to write the future," he continued. "We're going to think big, we're going to bet big."

Not stating the obvious makes it nothing but spin, but in his position, most of us would probably have said it the same way. It's long been Microsoft's tactic to de-reference the competition out of their perceived reality, out of existence if possible; "Pay them no mind!"

Now that MS has Skype, I notice we've graduated from minor bugs to complete non-functionality before the next update. Great. Maybe they won't slit its throat like they did Connectix' Virtual-PC.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › In last company meeting, Ballmer calls Apple 'fashionable,' says Microsoft about 'doing more'