or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › In last company meeting, Ballmer calls Apple 'fashionable,' says Microsoft about 'doing more'

In last company meeting, Ballmer calls Apple 'fashionable,' says Microsoft about 'doing more' - Page 2

post #41 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

This is why you are no longer CEO, Mr Balmer.  You still refuse to admit that other companies are doing things better than Microsoft.  If you can't admit when someone else gets something right then you're never going to be able to come up with something better.

Out with the more and in with the better!

But two apps at once! Microsoft Office on your tablet! Being able to zoom in on the home screen!!! Clickety-clacking your keyboard to your tablet while you dance like a buffoon! Come on man, these are killer features!!!

/s

post #42 of 140
Steve Ballmer: "I've got four words for you. I. Love. This. Company! - YEAH!"

Heh, too bad the company "He's Just Not That Into You" - 2009 New Line Cinema movie

and

"We are never ever ever getting back together" - Taylor Swift

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #43 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Look past the condescending, misguided metaphor of "fashionable" and there is some truth to what he is saying. But you have to have the intellectual curiosity and wherewithal to look past your own biased filter, too.

How is "fashionable" a metaphor? It is just the usual misunderstanding of Apple's products being given a slightly different wrong adjective due to that misunderstanding.

What "truth" is there "to what he is saying"?

What are you saying here? It isn't clear.
post #44 of 140
Quote:

How has it worked for out for him? Let's think about that ... Tell me you wouldn't trade places with him.

OK, I will:

I wouldn't trade places with him.

Do I envy him his money a bit?  Sure, a little bit.  But I wouldn't trade places with him, because my life is fulfilling enough, and I wouldn't want to go through it as clueless as he is just to have his money. 

Thompson

post #45 of 140
they have an unachievable destiny, not unbelievable destiny
post #46 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

they have an unachievable destiny, not unbelievable destiny

No, they can definitely achieve their destiny. It's not hard to achieve total irrelevance. RIM/BlackBerry, Nokia, Palm, etc. proved that it's not really that hard.

post #47 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft, Ballmer said, is about "doing more."

And by "doing more" he must have meant doing more rebooting, more troubleshooting, more virus scanning, more calling tech support, more cursing at the computer screen, you know, "doing more"

post #48 of 140
It's too bad that Balmer is stepping down. Otherwise he might finally have realized his dream of incendiary lemons. Seriously. Steve Ballmer is a living Cave Johnson.

People say that Apple fans "drink the Kool-Aid", but you have to be outright blind to view Ballmer as passionate when he's really just insane.
post #49 of 140
And this is why Microsoft is where it is today
post #50 of 140
Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you
post #51 of 140
I don't like being a hater, but God he is a mutant. I must have an Anti-Reality Distortion Field device (probably running on Windows RT). He's like a walking double oxymoron. He really needs to be committed.
post #52 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

In other words, Microsoft employees are frantically searching used car lots around the world looking for a suitable replacement.

Done:
http://scoopertino.com/that-was-fast-microsoft-announces-ceo-short-list/

You'd think that someone at Microsoft would have learned to gag Ballmer by now. Oh, well, only another year.

The good news is that I don't think they really have the culture to change, so I don't expect the next CEO to be much better. It would take someone like Jobs who has the ability to drag the entire organization kicking and screaming into the future and I don't think their board is desperate enough to accept that.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #53 of 140
Ballmer never got it before, isn't getting it now and still won't be getting it when the swinging door hits his backside on his way out. There's a reason why every new mobile technology product that MS has launched under his watch has failed miserably.

He. Just. Doesn't. Get. It.
post #54 of 140
Steve who?
post #55 of 140

Doing less, knowing less, being expensive and being highly unfashionable sums up Microsoft pretty well. 

post #56 of 140
It's certainly fashionable these days to be kicking Microsoft's ass.
post #57 of 140
Quote:

Look past the condescending, misguided metaphor of "fashionable" and there is some truth to what he is saying. But you have to have the intellectual curiosity and wherewithal to look past your own biased filter, too.

I'll bite... How exactly is Microsoft about "doing more"? What more are they doing than Apple?
post #58 of 140
"...We have unbelievable potential in front of us..."

A lot of things/people/companies have POTENTIAL. What a lot of those same things don't have is KINETIC energy.

Talk talk talk...
post #59 of 140

Ballmer is so juvenile - he always been.  It's like he's in high school at a pep rally for the big game with the cross town rival.  Or even better, he's a lame rapper who can't put two words together, yet he constantly boasts how his rhymes are better than all the other MCs.

Dear Steve B:  The rest of us out here are adults.  Why can't you be one too?

post #60 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

How has that worked out for him? In the context of my comment and in the context of the story. Not that well.

Well, we can always define just the right context so that we are never wrong, can't we? That's ok.

Edited by StruckPaper - 9/27/13 at 8:57am
post #61 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

I'll bite... How exactly is Microsoft about "doing more"? What more are they doing than Apple?

Thanks for asking.

Assuming the *quote* is correct, he didn't say Microsoft was doing more. He said Microsoft was "about doing more". Likewise, he didn't say Google knew more (do you really think he would concede that?); he said they were "about knowing more".

Think about his metaphors:

Apple = fashionable

Amazon = cheap

Google = about knowing more

Microsoft = about doing more

A different way of wording it:

Apple = design-driven 

Amazon = price-driven 

Google = aggregating information (search, book-scanning, ...)

Microsoft = providing productivity (Office, CRM, SQL Server, ...)

Is that really a wrong way of differentiating the business models of the Four Horsemen? Of course people here are incapable and in fact unwilling to see it that way. They prefer to mock his appearance instead. After the guffaws, how intelligent and insightful does one really feel?

post #62 of 140
MS has done a great job on the backend products (server etc) as well as Office. The problem is in their pricing structure. It's really heavy on connection licenses (CALS) and maintenance (SA) agreements. Smart phones and tablets are attacking the front end and Linux is gaining in the server space. They have become IBM, entrenched, trying to hold on to business.

Balmer has missed on seemingly every prediction he's made. Which, in the end, makes Steve the guy, with the luckiest dorm assignment, in the history of Harvard.
post #63 of 140

Forget Ballmer and his irrelevant comments.  He's toast and history and not the future of Microsoft.

But also recognize that Microsoft has enormous resources, a still-domomnant position in the computer world, and many, many very talented but leaderless people.  

Scenario 1 - Steve Jobs is magically resurrected to come back and lead Microsoft.  Where do you think they would be five years from now?  Terrifying thought.  Okay, no chance.

Scenario 2 - The find somebody who is maybe 1/2 x SJ to be CEO.  Somebody with vision, leadership, energy, etc.  And there are some of those kind of people around.  So put that bloke in charge and where do you think Microsoft will be five years from now?  This could happen.

As a long time Apple man (still have a running Apple 2+) I'm sincerely sorry to see Mr. B. go.  He was very good for Apple.  And I hope the MS board continues to perform incompetently and fail to find that SJ/2.

But, it could happen...

post #64 of 140
Quote:

Well, we can always define just the right context so that we are never wrong, can't we? That's ok.

Yes, I noticed you did that. How clever of you.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #65 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by aderutter View Post

MS has a big role to play in the future of computing? That's what is unbelievable.

Their big role in the future of computing is as an industry case study of how to have the world and then lose it because management is complacent, arrogant and stupid.

post #66 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

They are writing down more losses than Apple for one.

post #67 of 140
Quote:

So, why don't you look past, with your terrific intellectual curiosity and your unbiased filter, and tell us what you see?

post #68 of 140
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post
Or even better, he's a lame rapper who can't put two words together, yet he constantly boasts how his rhymes are better than all the other MCs.

Imagine them beat-boxing in these shots.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #69 of 140
Quote:

Thanks for asking.

Assuming the *quote* is correct, he didn't say Microsoft was doing more. He said Microsoft was "about doing more". Likewise, he didn't say Google knew more (do you really think he would concede that?); he said they were "about knowing more".

Think about it his metaphors:

Apple = fashionable
Amazon = cheap

Apple = design-driven 
Amazon = price-driven 

Is that really a wrong way of differentiating the business models of the Four Horsemen? Of course people here are incapable and in fact unwilling to see it that way. They prefer to mock his appearance instead. After the guffaws, how intelligent and insightful does one really feel?

I doubt that he meant that. Ballmer has a history of knocking down the competition (see idevice funerals).
post #70 of 140
Quote:

Apple = design-driven 

Amazon = price-driven 

Your rewording is just as equally wrong since for Apple it ignores iWork and iLife of which both exist on iOS and OS X. There are also all the professional multimedia applications they provide as well.

post #71 of 140
Quote:

Thanks for asking.

Think about his metaphors:

Apple = fashionable

Amazon = cheap

Apple = design-driven 

Amazon = price-driven 

Just possibly, you might want to consider climbing down off of your own high horse and lose the condescension. You're liable to get an intellectual nose bleed from the altitude, otherwise.

By striking the tone you have so far with your comments, whatever message you may be attempting to convey is getting lost in the background noise of your own arrogance. You could be exactly right, the smartest person since Stephen Hawking came along, but you're never, ever going to prove it by sneering at faceless message board postings.

I have the feeling that you'll just content yourself with hugging your superiority to yourself like a snug little blanket and coast on, having "done your part" in trying to illuminate the unwashed heathen inhabiting this region. It's obviously not your fault if no one here is intelligent enough to step back from their petty little viewpoints long enough to grasp your brilliant insights.

post #72 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I doubt that he meant that. Ballmer has a history of knocking down the competition (see idevice funerals).

You don't know that. Your doubt just means you use filters to fit your narrative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

Your rewording is just as equally wrong since for Apple it ignores iWork and iLife of which both exist on iOS and OS X. There are also all the professional multimedia applications they provide as well.

Design-driven ≠ not producing any productivity apps

But you want to pigeon-hole someone else's words to a low enough level that you can criticize. That's ok. It simply shows intellectual laziness that is common. 

post #73 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave MacLachlan View Post

Just possibly, you might want to consider climbing down off of your own high horse and lose the condescension. You're liable to get an intellectual nose bleed from the altitude, otherwise.

By striking the tone you have so far with your comments, whatever message you may be attempting to convey is getting lost in the background noise of your own arrogance. You could be exactly right, the smartest person since Stephen Hawking came along, but you're never, ever going to prove it by sneering at faceless message board postings.

I have the feeling that you'll just content yourself with hugging your superiority to yourself like a snug little blanket and coast on, having "done your part" in trying to illuminate the unwashed heathen inhabiting this region. It's obviously not your fault if no one here is intelligent enough to step back from their petty little viewpoints long enough to grasp your brilliant insights.

I am condescending because I think it is juvenile to mock someone's appearance? Hmmm .... I really need to better myself. You're of course justified to side with those who use invectives like "monkey face". We are defined by the sides of the fence we choose.

Edited by StruckPaper - 9/27/13 at 9:19am
post #74 of 140
Quote:

Design-driven ≠ not producing any productivity apps

But you want to pigeon-hole someone else's words to a low enough level that you can criticize. That's ok. It simply shows intellectual laziness that is common. 

Of course it's wrong. So then why did you specifically reword it that way? You're own post said:

Quote:

Apple = design-driven

Your post clearly implied that Apple is not providing productivity because you specifically used that point as a differentiation for Microsoft:

Quote:
Is that really a wrong way of differentiating the business models of the Four Horsemen?

Lame backpedaling is lame. I didn't pigeonhole anything since those were your own words.

Edited by MikeJones - 9/27/13 at 9:23am
post #75 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

So, why don't you look past, with your terrific intellectual curiosity and your unbiased filter, and tell us what you see?

I did. Key word: "about".

Unlike others, you do not need another clue.

post #76 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

Of course it's wrong. So then why did you specifically reword it that way? You're own post said:

Your post clearly implied that Apple is not providing productivity because you specifically used that point as a differentiation for Microsoft:

Lame backpedaling is lame. I didn't pidgeonhole anything. I used your own words exactly as you posted.

Differentiation = not doing anything in common at all?

Yeah, no pigeonholing at all.

Enough. I am wrong. You're right. Ok? 

post #77 of 140
With a hideous OS, pointless tablets, and worst suite of software ever (office suite), how can they possibly proclaim they have a bright future. The only thing they have is deep pockets, but that won't last forever. The desktop will not die but with windows 8, they are trying to murder it. They need to reinvest in the desktop OS and bring out a modern suite of software, they still have a stronghold in the non consumer market for which they need to focus and blossom otherwise they are doomed. They will never break the mobile market, too little too late.
post #78 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Differentiation = not doing anything in common at all?

You specifically said after you made your "reworded" version that those attributes were how each business differentiated themselves. So, no, if two companies do the same thing that can not be a differentiating business model between the two of them. But keep backpedaling and claiming that you meant something other than what you explicitly said. It's quite amusing.

post #79 of 140
Quote:

I am condescending because I think it is juvenile to mock someone's appearance? Hmmm .... I really need to better myself. You're of course justified to side with those who call use invectives like "monkey face".

You might want to re-read the post I actually wrote. I don't care what your point was, I was responding to your approach... and that was the point. You're losing people by being a smug, smarter-than-thou, "Papa Knows Best," stereotype. You've successfully placed yourself squarely at one end of the message board character type extremes.

This is rapidly devolving to one of those classic "XKCD" comics, where the protagonist can't step away from the computer, because "someone is WRONG on the Internet!"

post #80 of 140
Too bad he is leaving; with the new CEO, Apple may face real competition.
He played a big role in decelerating MS allowing Apple to make an spectacular come back.
Besides, he was one of a kind cheerleader, we'll miss you Steve.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › In last company meeting, Ballmer calls Apple 'fashionable,' says Microsoft about 'doing more'