or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › In last company meeting, Ballmer calls Apple 'fashionable,' says Microsoft about 'doing more'

In last company meeting, Ballmer calls Apple 'fashionable,' says Microsoft about 'doing more' - Page 3

post #81 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeSun View Post

Too bad he is leaving; with the new CEO, Apple may face real competition.
He played a big role in decelerating MS allowing Apple to make an spectacular come back.
Besides, he was one of a kind cheerleader, we'll miss you Steve.

Who knows? If Elsop becomes the new CEO, they might be in for more of the same... Unless he truly was some kind of Trojan-Horse all along :)

post #82 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

"Apple, Ballmer said, is about being "fashionable," while Amazon is about being "cheap," and Google is about "knowing more." Microsoft, Ballmer said, is about "doing more." "

So he's saying Microsoft stands for "being unfashionable, expensive* and knowing less"

Good heavens, I never thought I'd agree with Monkey Boy!

*The 'expensive' isn't about the cheap crappy PCs but the enormous waste of time and money keeping the crap running.

to add to this MS is about working harder not smarter too, ie doing more

post #83 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Thanks for asking.

Assuming the *quote* is correct, he didn't say Microsoft was doing more. He said Microsoft was "about doing more". Likewise, he didn't say Google knew more (do you really think he would concede that?); he said they were "about knowing more".

Think about his metaphors:

Apple = fashionable
Amazon = cheap
Google = about knowing more
Microsoft = about doing more

A different way of wording it:

Apple = design-driven 
Amazon = price-driven 
Google = aggregating information (search, book-scanning, ...)
Microsoft = providing productivity (Office, CRM, SQL Server, ...)

Is that really a wrong way of differentiating the business models of the Four Horsemen? Of course people here are incapable and in fact unwilling to see it that way. They prefer to mock his appearance instead. After the guffaws, how intelligent and insightful does one really feel?

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #84 of 140
Microsoft is about doing more...
more maintenance...
more troubleshooting...
more rebooting...
more pulling your hair out...
more throwing chairs...
post #85 of 140
Quote:

Too bad he is leaving; with the new CEO, Apple may face real competition..

Maybe, but unlikely to be serious enough to have a large impact.

The entire company culture is wrong. It takes an enormous shock or a very strong leader to make the level of cultural change that is needed. I just don't see the board as being open to that much change.

I would expect that the new CEO will appear to be different on the surface, but I don't think there will be fundamental changes. It seems that the Board's perception is that the problem is with implementation, not with the fundamental strategy. Until they understand the difference, they'll continue to flounder.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #86 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Focus on Microsoft, their strengths, and what they can do. No need to call out the 2-3 companies kicking your ass. It (1) proves that they are beating you, otherwise you wouldn't call them out, and (2) shows you fear them and have no other defensive move, such as --> stating what makes you different and the best choice.

Same thing for the most recent Windows Phone commercial. The LONE couple, all the way in the back, in folding chairs, while dozens of iOS and Android users duke it out, standing in front of you. You barely show your product, but do show a ton of iPhone 5s and Galaxy phones.

Their Windows Phone commercial was very funny and very well made. Of course, MS didn't make the commercial -- they hired out an ad company to design, shoot and write the commercial -- a company with talented and creative people who had a good sense of humor -- in contrast to MS. 

post #87 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Ballmer is so juvenile - he always been.  It's like he's in high school at a pep rally for the big game with the cross town rival.  Or even better, he's a lame rapper who can't put two words together, yet he constantly boasts how his rhymes are better than all the other MCs.

Dear Steve B:  The rest of us out here are adults.  Why can't you be one too?

Ballmer is the Kanye West of the computer industry.

post #88 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

What is MS doing, exactly?

whistling past the graveyard
post #89 of 140

Nothing says 'doing more' like kickstand.

post #90 of 140

Ballmer is an ass hat. nothing he has ever said has been based in any form of reality.

post #91 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

It's still his job. What else should he say?

He should've said "**** you all and have a nice day!" Then after that put on a cowboy hat and gallop off the stage with a stick horse. THAT would've still been smarter than everything he just said.

post #92 of 140
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

That future will be as a devices and services company, a path solidified recently by Microsoft's $7.2 billion acquisition of Nokia's cell phone business, as well as the revelation of new Surface tablet units this week.

What a joke.  Ballmer would never have followed that path if he were still alive.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #93 of 140
Unbelievable, all right.
post #94 of 140
SMDH! This just goes to show you how shallow this a** clown is.
MS investors are perplexed. Why? Ballmer calls Apple fashionable while the new crop of iPhones just sold 9 million in 3 days.
That ain't fashion. That's kicking yo a**!
post #95 of 140
Man, if you think Apple products are popular because they are fashionable, you shouldn't be in charge of a big business.
post #96 of 140

doing more... how about "quality over quantity?" If you look at the amount spent on R&D between Apple and MSFT, somebody may honor us with the number but I believe apple was about 2billion/year and msft much much more... now looking at the major results, MSFT beyond managing to copy Mac OS and the original Word Express and whatever spreadsheet software was ruling in the 80's (maybe Lotus) to build it into their Windoze  + Office empire, not much innovative ground-breaking rev-generating things came out of "doing more"..

and although Ballmer may belittle Apple's fashionableness, he shouldn't forget that Windows was , too , fashionable in the 90s and early 2000, and in 95' ppl actually lined up to buy windows 95!! how tides have turned.

post #97 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In what will likely be his final appearance at Microsoft's companywide meeting as chief executive, Ballmer took the stage with his typical bombast

lol.gif Why wasn't this expanded on:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/27/ballmer_leaving_party/

"The CEO who gave us the Monkey Boy dance is reported to have jumped about the stage to Michael Jackson’s Wanna be startin’ somethin’ – the song he played at that fateful 1983 meeting – while screaming “the sound of Microsoft!”

Reports talk of tears streaming down Steve's face as he gave his final speech.

Ballmer closed on (I’ve had) the time of my life from Dirty Dancing, continuing to dance and run around the stage. Employees were shaking hands with Ballmer and screaming “we love you” through the routine, we're so reliably informed."

Someone get the video!
post #98 of 140

"Doing more," is for sure!

Virus scans, disk defrags, annual clean re-installs, high upgrade fees, weird products (hello, RT), axed products, endless configuration.

What more could customers want?

post #99 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The byline is my favorite: "Nobody puts Ballmer in a corner."

OK, they actually said "outgoing Steve", but still.  Gold.

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

post #100 of 140
Steve Jobs got it right. Microsoft does not have to fail in order for Apple to succeed. Ballmer should realize that the same is true about how to make Microsoft succeed. Bashing competitors is not going to make you succeed on any significant level. Microsoft's problem is Microsoft, it not about doing more. It's about doing something completely different and new.
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #101 of 140
Hmmm, how can we do more?

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #102 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

"The CEO who gave us the Monkey Boy dance is reported to have jumped about the stage to Michael Jackson’s Wanna be startin’ somethin’ – the song he played at that fateful 1983 meeting – while screaming “the sound of Microsoft!”

Reports talk of tears streaming down Steve's face as he gave his final speech.

Ballmer closed on (I’ve had) the time of my life from Dirty Dancing, continuing to dance and run around the stage. Employees were shaking hands with Ballmer and screaming “we love you” through the routine, we're so reliably informed."

Someone get the video!

I'd never watched the MonkeyBoy Dance until now.

That. Is. A. Really. Embarrassing. Performance.1oyvey.gif
Microsoft should issue a takedown notice.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #103 of 140

Perhaps he's suggesting that with him leaving, Microsoft will now have unlimited potential.

post #104 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave MacLachlan View Post

This is rapidly devolving to one of those classic "XKCD" comics, where the protagonist can't step away from the computer, because "someone is WRONG on the Internet!"

You got that much right. 

post #105 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

Steve Jobs got it right. Microsoft does not have to fail in order for Apple to succeed. 

Corollary - We don't have to bash other companies just because we like Apple.

post #106 of 140
Isn't he buying iPads and iPhones in an exchange program? So sad!
post #107 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

"Doing more," is for sure!
Virus scans, disk defrags, annual clean re-installs, high upgrade fees, weird products (hello, RT), axed products, endless configuration.
What more could customers want?
More updates!
More critical updates!!!
post #108 of 140
What stood out to me is that he didn't bother mentioning Samsung, which to me indicates his agreement that they're just copying Apple. I haven't used Windows 8 but at least MS is doing something different. Ballmer is an idiot but MS has done some good work lately (Xbox, Bing, and even W8 looks interesting) and I wish them well in the future. I certainly like their approach better than Google, Amazon, Samsung, or BlackBerry.
post #109 of 140
I guess Ballmer figures he can't embarrass himself anymore than he already has....
post #110 of 140

Breaking: Steve Ballmer to team up with Scott Forstall and create third computer company to take on Apple. The Ball-Stall Conglomerate plans to have its first machine out when it feels like it.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #111 of 140
Ballmer is an idiot, that's a given—but seriously, what can they do?

Apple is in a unique position. They're supreme in the mobile space (unless you use the dishonest ploy of the Fandroids of lumping all "Android" phones together as if all these companies shared profits), and they also have the most profitable line of desktops and laptops. That market ("Post-PC era" or not) is not going to go away, but it's going to shrink considerably. Apple can manage that transition smoothly (yes, I said "smooth"1wink.gif) since they control both sides. Who else can do that?

Unless Microsoft starts making "real" computers—which would spell the end for HP et. al., already near death in a race to the bottom—or they remain dependent on the fortunes of the PC makers, who are, again, cutting each other's throats for the cheapest price. If they want to maintain Window's market share, they may be forced to start making their own boxes.

Instead they have two completely disjoint divisions, one committed to Windows, one committed to making Nokia phones saleable—and now some mutants trying to create a laptop-tablet hybrid that nobody wants. As the PC market declines, so does 2/3 of their business. They're going to coast on momentum for a while, maybe decades, but creativity is just not in their genes. They stole Windows, they wrote MS Word, but if they hadn't been creating it for the Mac they never would have—Hell, they just bought DOS, which was just an unauthorized port of CP/M to begin with. I don't see any radical new ideas coming from them—but meanwhile, it's Apple that "can't innovate", and "didn't invent" any of the things they did innovate. People's misperceptions will keep Microsoft in business for a while, but their dominance is not long for this world.
post #112 of 140
Neon pink keyboard covers and breakdancing = doing work?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #113 of 140

PLEASE DON'T GO! Ballmer can lead MS down a slow death spiral. He's the John Sculley of MS. 

post #114 of 140

Thats what you get from a piss poor looser.  He has basically singlehandedly made microsoft irrelevant.  And hes walking away with millions for doing it.

post #115 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Look past the condescending, misguided metaphor of "fashionable" and there is some truth to what he is saying. But you have to have the intellectual curiosity and wherewithal to look past your own biased filter, too.

Jony Ive says something like, "when something is simple and well designed, it becomes beautiful by default" (heavily paraphrased, sorry).

If that kind of beautiful is what Ballmer means by "fashionable", then I'm a permanent customer of fashion.

MS should be striving to be ALL the things their competitors are, and more. They should be trying to create "fashionable" products (aka design so excellent that is naturally beautiful AND desirable as a result), high-quality products that are ALSO affordable and a good value, truly smart products that extend and enhance knowledge (making knowledge accessible at the flick of a finger)… 

In fact, the products that accomplish those things ARE the most enabling, letting us just get things done. "Doing things"… yes, Stevie, except, you need the first three to accomplish the last in today's market.

Him not seeing that, it's easy to see why his time is up.

Bye bye Ballmer. 

post #116 of 140

Even Valve is making their own OS these days, OS software is becoming commoditized. MS should go back to their roots as an app company. 

They have missed such an opportunity to dominate with Office on the iPad. And games are hugely popular on these new devices, they should make more games, they've done some great games in the past.

Clearly the strategy of make your own hardware is not working out for them, it's just not in their corporate DNA, but software writing is!

post #117 of 140
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

They have missed such an opportunity to dominate with Office on the iPad. 

And Apple is squandering their chance to make iWork the Office of the next decade or more… :grumble:

post #118 of 140
post #119 of 140
post #120 of 140
Quote:

Too bad he is leaving; with the new CEO, Apple may face real competition.
He played a big role in decelerating MS allowing Apple to make an spectacular come back.
Besides, he was one of a kind cheerleader, we'll miss you Steve.

Its likely too late for the successor to do much of a dent in the smartphone and tablet markets, how many times will they revamp Windows? And when they are done, where will the competition be?

Steve Jobs turned Apple around, with iMacs, with iPod, Apple stores, virtual online stores, with great strategy, with great people. MS wasn't decelerating when Apple introduced the iPhone in 2007, and then iPad a year later, in fact MS was a top player in the smartphone OS market back then.

edit:grammer

Edited by murman - 9/27/13 at 7:14pm
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › In last company meeting, Ballmer calls Apple 'fashionable,' says Microsoft about 'doing more'