or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Delta Airlines to distribute Surface 2 to pilots after iPad trial
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Delta Airlines to distribute Surface 2 to pilots after iPad trial - Page 3

post #81 of 163
How could it possibly take two more years to implement this program, and how could Dell-ta be reasonably sure the Surface will still be around in 2015? It's like buying a Zune in 2009.

Or Dell announcing in 2010 that it would deploy 24,000 of its own Windows Phone 7 devices internally. How'd that work out?
post #82 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

I think you need to pony up some facts. As far as I know there any no shipping ivi systems running Android. Try again? Plenty of aftermarket systems however, especially for the China market where it is the driving part that is the driver distraction and not the ivi system.
They're all integrating Google Maps and search services.

 

first you say.. they are running Android, but can't back it up. Now you are saying they are running Google Maps.. but I again I say.. "pony up the facts fella".  keep trying.. as far as I know.. everyone is using onboard maps and not going over cell to get Maps.  data please.  else please quit with the propaganda.    Keep in mind cell is not available everywhere.  that is why Nav IVI systems needs on board maps. 


Edited by snova - 9/27/13 at 2:22pm
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #83 of 163

Did you seriously just lump Tesla into the same crapagory as Ford? SERIOUSLY?!

post #84 of 163
Thinking that good, actual reporting might include some sort of reason for why.
post #85 of 163
Its very simple guys... the IT compartment can get into the Surface and load their corporate spyware etc and lock it down... and hook into corporate Exchange, secure sign-in etc.

With iPad and iOS... not so straight forward. The IT control freeks hate Apple because Apple is control freeks about not letting them be control freeks! Errrr..ya.

And yes, Microsoft probably gave these to them for free. Same old story.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #86 of 163
It's a nice corporate bribe. And when it fails stockholders will be left pissed off.
post #87 of 163

If/when they factor in the eventual cost of maintaining antivirus software for all those Surface 2's, they'll realize they made a bad investment.

post #88 of 163

BYOD = Bring Your Own Device

BSOD = ???

post #89 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybfmiami View Post
 

BYOD = Bring Your Own Device

BSOD = ???

 

BSOD = Ballmer S***s On Delta

post #90 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillio View Post

My only  guess is they saw how horrible iOS7. 

My only guess is they haven't seen how horrible Windows 8 RT is.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #91 of 163

Delta slogans

 

1929     Speed, Comfort and Safety

1930s   Speed, Comfort and Convenience

1935     The Trans-Southern Route

1940     The Airline of the South

1948     None Faster. None Finer. To and Through the South.

1950s   Hospitality and Service from the Heart

1950s   One of America’s Pioneer-Scheduled Airlines

1959     The Airline with the Big Jets

1966     The Best Thing That Ever Happened to Air Travel

1968     Delta Is Ready When You Are

1970     That’s the Delta Spirit

1970     The Airline Run by Professionals

1974     Delta Is My Airline

1980     Airlines Are the Same. Only People Make the Difference.

1984     Delta Is Ready When You Are

1984     Delta Gets You There

1987     We Love to Fly and It Shows

1992     Ready When You Are

1994     You’ll Love the Way We Fly

1997     On Top of the World

2005     Good Goes Around

Current  Keep Climbing

 

2015      Control-Alt-Delete

post #92 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post
 

[...] I'm guessing Microsoft either gave them away or gave Delta a HUGE discount just for the sake of media exposure.

 

Thanks...  saved me from typing it.

post #93 of 163
My gut feeling is that MS is giving Delta the Surface laptops for free, on condition that the gratis nature of the deal is never revealed.

The news would play well for them on a web site like AppleInsider.com and other tech enthusiast web sites.
post #94 of 163
End of year should show payout to Delta by MS and another 9Million write off for Surface 2 products unsold.

This is nuts. MS throwing cash I'm sure to influence Delta. Just like they did with Rockstar to get Grand Theft Auto onto Xbox. Same with Final Fantasy. The question now is%u2026
Can MS afford to buy ALL the airline companies?
post #95 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsd View Post
 

Delta slogans

 

1929     Speed, Comfort and Safety

1930s   Speed, Comfort and Convenience

1935     The Trans-Southern Route

1940     The Airline of the South

1948     None Faster. None Finer. To and Through the South.

1950s   Hospitality and Service from the Heart

1950s   One of America’s Pioneer-Scheduled Airlines

1959     The Airline with the Big Jets

1966     The Best Thing That Ever Happened to Air Travel

1968     Delta Is Ready When You Are

1970     That’s the Delta Spirit

1970     The Airline Run by Professionals

1974     Delta Is My Airline

1980     Airlines Are the Same. Only People Make the Difference.

1984     Delta Is Ready When You Are

1984     Delta Gets You There

1987     We Love to Fly and It Shows

1992     Ready When You Are

1994     You’ll Love the Way We Fly

1997     On Top of the World

2005     Good Goes Around

Current  Keep Climbing

 

2015      Control-Alt-Delete

 

Like how they dropped "safety" between 1929 and 1930's :-)

 

1929     Speed, Comfort and Safety

1930s   Speed, Comfort and Convenience

post #96 of 163
The new iPads will be equipped with the fingerprint sensor that every body wants for convenience. I wonder if Delta pilots will complain to the IT department when the new iPads debutted next week.
post #97 of 163
Yes, they will give IT the finger..print, that is. Feel sorry already for those pilots.
post #98 of 163
Lets hope their is no real BSOD..
Dr
Pepper
Crew
Reply
Dr
Pepper
Crew
Reply
post #99 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Its very simple guys... the IT compartment can get into the Surface and load their corporate spyware etc and lock it down... and hook into corporate Exchange, secure sign-in etc.

With iPad and iOS... not so straight forward. The IT control freeks hate Apple because Apple is control freeks about not letting them be control freeks! Errrr..ya.

 

 

Um, that same control IS available to IT departments with iPads.

Our corporate-issued iPads are extremely limited ... cannot use App-Store or add any apps to it, has proprietary apps loaded... corporate can access the iPad and wipe it anytime it is connected to the internet... among other things.  Not because there's anything different about the hardware or OS, but because corporate IT CAN configure them with these restrictions.

(Sure, I could restore it and regain a consumer iPad, but would have no way of loading the corporate apps to it and various other corporate requirements.)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #100 of 163
davidc, you are SO right about this statement. Many years ago, I used to see people 'sneaking' their Macs into work because they where a LOT better than working on Windows... I even recall at one stage quoting on some Mac computers to a media outlet -they needed to run DOS, so I showed them DOS running on a Mac, blew them away. The quote got rejected because the organisation that received my quote got brought out by Microsoft. The result was they purchased PC's with windows and was was even more frustrating is that these PC's for some reason COULD NOT RUN DOS at all!

WTF!!
post #101 of 163
I believe they are making a huge mistake because I know of hardware using windows always have problems. It is not that I am bias so good luck flying Delta.
post #102 of 163
Figured into the financial calculation is the fact that theft of device can be set at zero. Know anyone who would steal one?
post #103 of 163
It's understandable why Delta Airlines aren't doing the BYOD with the Surface RTs. IF they did only five people would show up for work with their private Surfaces.
post #104 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut View Post
 

2) There's hardly any relevant software for pilots to use on the Surface 2.  iPads pretty much have it all.  It's not just a question of having a few apps versus bazillions, it's a question of not having any of the apps you need in a cockpit available for the platform.

 

My guess is that Delta plans to use its own custom software, so the overall app ecosystem probably isn't relevant for this use case. 

post #105 of 163
I guess I won't be using delta anymore...
post #106 of 163
Windows in the cockpit? No flying Delta "the blue screen of death" Airlines for me!

(Full disclosure: I've already 'enjoyed' the "Delta experience" and pledged never to fly that airline again, ever. This only seals the deal for me.)

Surface RT in the cockpit? Your life depending on it? Seriously. Not. Ever.
post #107 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post
 

GadgetCanadaV2, what can you make out of this?

 

This? Why, I can make a hat or a brooch or a pterodactyl

 

The bigger question of all of this is do any of you like movies about gladiators

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply
post #108 of 163
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

The bigger question of all of this is do any of you like movies about gladiators

 

Gadget… have you ever seen a grown baby naked?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #109 of 163
Well they just lost a client.. i don't feel safe with pilots using surface tablet or any microsoft product!
post #110 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmia View Post

Well they just lost a client.. i don't feel safe with pilots using surface tablet or any microsoft product!

 

I could be wrong but most hospital computers run Microsoft.

post #111 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post
 

 

1> ... MS based tablets have also been through that process.. not the Surface2, but there are several windows-based products that were never really available at the consumer level that were used in Airlines.

 

That's nice, but totally not relevant.  Microsoft could've had 100 billion different products with FAA certification on every aircraft ever built.  At issue is the Surface 2 not having the required certification for each aircraft Delta planes on using for this program, and the process is very long.

 

Quote:
2> ... Related to #1... EVERY bit of software they need is ALREADY available for Windows OS.  They've been around for years.  That is a non-issue.

 

Again, that's nice that all the software is available on Windows (although many applications still specifically require Windows XP), however what's relevant is whether it runs on the Surface 2, and pretty much none of it does.  You might have had a point if you were talking about Windows XP laptops in the cockpit, or even the Surface Pro 2, but this is the ARM version of Surface as in the Surface RT, only the stink of "RT" is so bad that Microsoft removed it from the name adding further confusion to the market.

 

Quote:
3> ... In the heavily regulated industries , like airlines, a single-vendor solution is actually much easier to manage than BYOD.

 

Yet again, that's nice, but how many examples can you give of a company going from a well-used BYOD to single-vendor where the single vendor has less than 1% market share?  That asked, of course the Surface 2 will be easy to manage... "Here, here's your Surface 2, it comes with MS Office which should come in handy when you've got a problem in the cockpit.  Don't worry about putting unauthorized software on it, because you won't find any."

 

Seriously, there are too many questions left unanswered in the article, but worse, left unasked, as in these things never occurred to Paul Thurrott when he was trying to get confirmation on the story.

post #112 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmia View Post

Well they just lost a client.. i don't feel safe with pilots using surface tablet or any microsoft product!

 

I could be wrong but most hospital computers run Microsoft.

 

There would be no more risk using Surface tablets in the cockpit than iPads because they won't be using either of them to fly the planes. They are just for static reference material backed up by at least one hard copy printout. I was on a flight last January and the pilots were using an Android tablet. How do I know? It was a Leer jet and the pilots were right in view of passengers. I could clearly see the screen, it was Android. These guys were all ex-military and I trusted them completely. I'd be more worried about pilots being over worked and lacking sufficient sleep than I would be about their issued tablet.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #113 of 163
I hope the device doesn't BSOD when the pilots need some sort of critical data.
post #114 of 163
What morons! Putting failed devices with a failed OS into the hands of pilots responsible for hundreds of lives. How stupid can you possibly be? I will definitely not be flying Delta! Ever!
post #115 of 163

Delta does like to higher the jet jocks from the military and those guys fly on the edge... Guess Delta wants to make them feel at home!

 

Gives a whole new meaning to "my computer crashed!"

/

/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #116 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

first you say.. they are running Android, but can't back it up. Now you are saying they are running Google Maps.. but I again I say.. "pony up the facts fella".  keep trying.. as far as I know.. everyone is using onboard maps and not going over cell to get Maps.  data please.  else please quit with the propaganda.    Keep in mind cell is not available everywhere.  that is why Nav IVI systems needs on board maps. 

Um, no I never said any of them were using Android (note my kinda hate on Tesla comment after you pointed out they weren't using Android but instead Linux).

And yes they're all integrating Google Maps and/or search services
http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/models/infotainment_and_communication/audi_connect_services/destination_input_via_myaudi_or_google_maps.html
http://blogs.automotive.com/photo-of-the-day-audis-google-maps-141227.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-10863_7-10016878.html
http://www.gizmag.com/hyundai-google-maps/25611/
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9235178/Kia_integrates_Google_Maps_voice_search_into_2014_Sorento
http://reviews.cnet.com/sedan/2012-tesla-model-s/4505-10865_7-35338245-2.html
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #117 of 163
I wonder if Microsoft had offered them free (or below that at this rate)?
post #118 of 163

I guess Delta doesn't mind having pilots fly with an electronic paper weight. 

post #119 of 163
At least they won't be distracted by doing anything fun.
post #120 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Gadget… have you ever seen a grown baby naked?

 

Gaaaaahhhh!!!! Can't unsee that!!! Thanks a lot TS!! I picked the wrong day to quit drinking

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Delta Airlines to distribute Surface 2 to pilots after iPad trial
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Delta Airlines to distribute Surface 2 to pilots after iPad trial