or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › MacBook Pro 15" Back-up

MacBook Pro 15" Back-up

post #1 of 4

I am running VMWare Fusion on my MacBook Pro on which I am running virtual Windows 7.

Can I back up Windows at the same time as backing up the MacBook, or do I need separate external hard drives?

post #2 of 4
Backup software will backup Windows if it's on a virtual drive as it's another file on the Mac, it just wouldn't backup Bootcamp as that's a separate partition. Be aware though that every time you make a change to the virtual machine (which happens when you use it), it will try to backup the whole thing every time so try not to make the virtual machine file too large. Backups that keep revisions are worse as they can fill up an external quite quickly.
post #3 of 4

Thanks Marvin.

Should I set up a separate back-up within the Windows environment to another external drive?

post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Whopper View Post

Thanks Marvin.
Should I set up a separate back-up within
 the Windows environment to another external drive?

That's an option, you can even backup essential files from the virtual machine to a shared folder on the Mac, which would be included in the Mac's backup routine and just exclude the main large virtual machine file from backup.

So say that you have a 24GB VMWare image and you only have a documents folder in it that's 1GB, it's slower versioning the 24GB file to a backup every time so you can copy the 1GB to a shared drive and that puts it in the Mac filesystem, which gets backed up.

If the virtual drive isn't all that big and you don't access the virtual machine often then it wold be ok to keep it in the normal backup routine.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › MacBook Pro 15" Back-up