or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Obama, Sebelius compare Apple's iOS 7 launch to Healthcare.gov rollout issues

Obama, Sebelius compare Apple's iOS 7 launch to Healthcare.gov rollout issues - Page 5

post #161 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguinisto View Post

To top it off, no one is forced to purchase an iPad or iPhone... not so much the case with the ACA.

To be accurate, no one is forced to buy insurance under the ACA, either.

Essentially, the government says "we want you to buy insurance. If you don't, you pay a penalty to cover the societal costs that you're not picking up". Think of it as a new tax if you wish, with a 100% tax credit if you have insurance.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #162 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So? What's your point? I don't recall being able to use an iPhone as being one of the Constitutional requirements for holding that office. He was elected by the US populace via the Constitutional rules.
Of course people care about it. They care enough that the issue was already taken to the Supreme Court which decided that it's Constitutional.

You keep forgetting - there is a system for creating laws. The US Congress passed ACA in 2010. It was signed into law. The Supreme Court says it's Constitutional. Congress has the right to repeal it at any time they wish. So what's the problem?

And I love the meme going around that Obama is at fault for the shut down. Under the Constitution, The House has to create spending bills and the budget. They have not done that.
So we have a magazine with an enormous right wing bias making up numbers that look bad for ACA. Big deal.

The only actual number I have is my own case. My insurance premium is dropping 30% under ACA - and I have much better coverage (60% reduction in deductible, elimination of lifetime cap, and a lot of preventative services will be paid at 100% under ACA). So I'm somewhat skeptical of the numbers that someone pulls out of thin air.

Let's see some actual data.

Not sure about you, but I don't claim to know what you think, just as you shouldn't about me.

I was against he structure of this bill/law, but it passed. In the 2012 election cycle, I said to folks it should be a non issue. It is the law and if if sucks? There is always a process to change it. Fact is, no one knows exactly what it is going to look like for them yet. We are starting to get a better idea (though I remain unable to even create an account, so I have no clearer picture than I did on Monday, but I know that will change). In all reality, I won't have that much of a clearer picture until the end of the month when I have all the facts on what my current coverage will be like, what ACA will do for me, and time to compare.

I disagreed with the law as it was written. I disagreed with the "we have to pass it to know what's in it" approach (and do in every law that Congress plays around with). I still disagree with the law, but it is the law if the land, so I will get over it. They beauty if being American is I don't have to agree with every law. I just have to obey them.

A little more about me, since you (and others strongly in support of ACA) seem compelled to paint me into the "right-wing, Faux-news (not clever in any way, just as the MSNBC and Samsung nicknames aren't, by the way) watcher" corner.

I am not left and I am not right. I am in the middle. I agree with both sides at times, depending on the issue. I do not now, ever have, nor ever will, vote for someone because of the (R) or (D) after their name. I educate myself from a multitude of sources and form my own opinions.

Spending - Our politicians have a spending problem. We need to go through and cut programs. No one wants to, so we end up with the battle to raise the debt limit. Enough. When will we actually start cutting? It is always campaign season, so the answer is never. I am fine with the general idea of the entitlement programs. I think they all need a massive overhaul that will be painful. We have allowed too many people to become dependent on these programs that should be, in most instances, not need them long term. We correct these programs, it will help our spending problem. Then, once we have what is already in place under control, we can begin to discuss new opportunities. (This is another of my issues with ACA).

So that is me. Opposition is not always as clear as "you don't like A so you must be for B"
post #163 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Death Panels: Yes, there will be people making medical decisions for you outside of you and your doctor that may deny you care. Sure, your options is to pay for it yourself, and I recommend that, however, that does not remove the fact. 

Pulling the plug on GranMa: Yes, there will be those that will make decisions based on quality of life that you may not agree with, thus pulling the plug. Sure, your options is to pay for it yourself, and I recommend that, however, that does not remove the fact. 

Death squads: same as above

Socialized Medicine: socialized medicine |ˈsoʊʃəˌlaɪzd ˈmɛdəsən|

noun

the provision of medical and hospital care for all by means of public funds.

Yep, that is what the ACA is. And I'm sure you read every page of the what, 3' stack of law and regulations? 

The actual law specifically bans that (interference in medical decisions between a doctor and their patient ) so hanging those spins off the PPACA is rather misleading.. The "End of life" counseling reimbursement was a REPUBLICAN amendment, and one that didn't survive the cut. But hey don't let reality get in the way of a good bumpersticker repeat. The exchanges list PRIVATE insurance with some subsidy available for certain means tested otherwise eligible applicants. NO "medical care" is provided (as it is in the socialized medicine nations of Great Britain, Canada and others or the Veteran's Administration health system), simply aid in accessing medical insurance for approximately 15% of the American population, perhaps 7% of which might be eligible for some level of subsidy.  Hardly "All" by any stretch. Though the United States HAS done "public health" since 1798, one would expect The Founders to know what they were doing eh?

"3" stack"?  How quaint, it's two PDF files online and with wide margins at that. Easily searchable for keywords of interest.

post #164 of 173
Oh, and one more thing jragosta. Just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean it is made up. Do yourself a favor. Challenge yourself. Question everything. Dive in head first to the views of those you disagree with. You might be surprised what you learn
post #165 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Except that no one forces you to buy and iPad or iPhone or Mac.  You have no choice with obamacare you will own it or be insured or be fined on your income taxes.

Mitt Romney and The Heritage Foundation refer to that as "personal responsibility".

post #166 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Mitt Romney and The Heritage Foundation refer to that as "personal responsibility".

There is one simple reason for the requirement. If people wait until they are sick, and the pre-existing condition wait time is eliminated (which the ACA does), then everyone will have much higher premiums. You need low risk participants in order to offset the cost for those high risk folks. That is how insurance, all insurance, works. So if we have the ACA? Then the requirement is needed. Can't have one without the other.

post #167 of 173

@jrogosta - honest question for you. How have you been able to get your ACA information? Each time I try, once I get in, I get as far as the 3 security questions. They are always (save exactly one time) blank. That one time they weren't? It told me I couldn't duplicate questions, which I didn't. So 2 full business days later, and I still can't register. 

post #168 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

@jrogosta - honest question for you. How have you been able to get your ACA information? Each time I try, once I get in, I get as far as the 3 security questions. They are always (save exactly one time) blank. That one time they weren't? It told me I couldn't duplicate questions, which I didn't. So 2 full business days later, and I still can't register. 

I got it on a third party site:
https://www.ehealthinsurance.com
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #169 of 173
Quote:

To be accurate, no one is forced to buy insurance under the ACA, either.

Essentially, the government says "we want you to buy insurance. If you don't, you pay a penalty to cover the societal costs that you're not picking up". Think of it as a new tax if you wish, with a 100% tax credit if you have insurance.

Only a liberal could see it that way lol 

post #170 of 173
Imagine if Apple never vetted a project idea, they just built a first draft device & put it out there to see if it worked.
post #171 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

There is one simple reason for the requirement. If people wait until they are sick, and the pre-existing condition wait time is eliminated (which the ACA does), then everyone will have much higher premiums. You need low risk participants in order to offset the cost for those high risk folks. That is how insurance, all insurance, works. So if we have the ACA? Then the requirement is needed. Can't have one without the other.
Yes, I expect that's why the president shifted from opposing a mandate during the primaries that Clinton was proposing. The money just works better with that component.
post #172 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Yes, I expect that's why the president shifted from opposing a mandate during the primaries that Clinton was proposing. The money just works better with that component.

Agreed. Clinton's plan, which seemed too far reaching at the time, would likely have been be better in the long run. Still think she was the better choice in 2008
post #173 of 173
Quote:

I got it on a third party site:
https://www.ehealthinsurance.com

Thanks. Sadly, 0 plans found for me...

:)

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Obama, Sebelius compare Apple's iOS 7 launch to Healthcare.gov rollout issues
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Obama, Sebelius compare Apple's iOS 7 launch to Healthcare.gov rollout issues