or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple confirms iOS 7 causing iMessage issues, says fix is in the works

Apple confirms iOS 7 causing iMessage issues, says fix is in the works

post #1 of 51
Apple on Tuesday said it was aware of an issue a number of iPhone users have been experiencing with iMessage since upgrading to iOS 7, noting that a fix is coming soon to patch the problem.

iMessage

The company told The Wall Street Journal in a statement that it is aware of an apparent iMessage glitch in which some users' messages go unsent, unreceived or sent as a text. The problem appears to affect a variety of iPhone models running iOS 7.

Apple's statement:

We are aware of an issue that affects a fraction of a percent of our iMessage users, and we will have a fix available in an upcoming software update. In the meantime, we encourage any users having problems to reference our troubleshooting documents or contact AppleCare to help resolve their issue. We apologize for any inconvenience this causes impacted users.

Since Apple released iOS 7 on Sept. 18, a number of threads pertaining to the issue have been created on Apple's Support Communities webpage, the earliest of which dates back to launch day. The frequency of posts has increased, however, especially since the last iOS 7.0.2 update went live last week.

AppleInsider reported on Monday that a simple procedure has successfully eliminated the bug for many users:
  • Disable iMessage in Settings -> Messages,
  • Reset the iPhone's Network Settings under Settings -> General -> Reset
  • Reenable iMessage.

While the method worked, and continues to work, for most iPhone owners afflicted with the iMessage bug, some have reported that the message failures reappeared after a few hours, forcing them to repeat the steps above.

Apple did not make clear when it plans to roll out the patch, though reports on Tuesday claimed a third iOS 7 update, dubbed iOS 7.0.3, has been distributed to employees and select partners.
post #2 of 51

7.0.3?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #3 of 51
How about the WIFI & Bluetooth issues?? After 10s of times entering the router password I finally connect. Turn the phone off and on again....start the 15 minute process alllll over again.

This update "just doesn't work" for me......and still doesn't.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #4 of 51
This is more than a fraction of a percent of users. Every single ios7 user I know is experiencing this issue.
post #5 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

This is more than a fraction of a percent of users. Every single ios7 user I know is experiencing this issue.

Really?  Every iOS7 user I know is not having these issues.  Could be a fraction of users, could be more.  Can't determine based on just your test pool.

post #6 of 51
I've surveyed the 25 friends of mine all using iOS 7. We all have the issue at hand. Resetting the network settings seems to have resolved it for some, and for others it comes back a few hours later. I would agree that it's probably more than a fraction of a percent. But. Who knows.
post #7 of 51
My iMessage is down now though worked fine last night. Several friends experienced same. This is WIDE spread.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #8 of 51

My friends with iPhone 5 are experiencing the issue. I am still on a 4 and haven't experienced it - definitely not everyone is affected

post #9 of 51
My iPhone 5s is not having the problem, but my iPad 4 is. Rebooting resolves it for a while.
Edited by seqiro - 10/1/13 at 11:26pm
post #10 of 51
iPhone 4S uk no problem except making calls issues and dropped calls. It seems like the most important aspect of the phone is now poor. I expect Apple will have this fixed by 7.1. Hate it though that we are faced with bugs when the preview releases to developers have been plentiful, perhaps they should have a group of testers that are not developers as obviously the developers are asleep at the wheel probably more concerned with testing their apps than bug tracking.
post #11 of 51
We have several models of iPhone in our family running ios7; my iPhone 4, my wife's iPhone 4, daughters iPhone 4S and youngest daughters iPhone 5. Most if our extended family have iPhones too and no one has had any problems with messages or wifi.
post #12 of 51
I've found that completely shutting off an iPhone (by holding down the power button and sliding your finger when prompted) and then turning it back on fixes iMessage issues for some users.

I strongly recommend turning off the phone before resorting to more extreme measures. "Reset Network Settings" is a huge hassle because it causes your phone to lose settings and passwords for all previously connected Wi-Fi networks.

I haven't tried disabling and reenabling iMessage along with shutting it off, but I suppose you could try combining the two (if simply powering off and back on doesn't fix it):

1) Disable iMessage in Settings -> Messages,
2) Hold down the power button and slide to turn off the iPhone
3) Reenable iMessage.
post #13 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by theJoshMeister View Post

I've found that completely shutting off an iPhone (by holding down the power button and sliding your finger when prompted) and then turning it back on fixes iMessage issues for some users.

I strongly recommend turning off the phone before resorting to more extreme measures. "Reset Network Settings" is a huge hassle because it causes your phone to lose settings and passwords for all previously connected Wi-Fi networks.

I haven't tried disabling and reenabling iMessage along with shutting it off, but I suppose you could try combining the two (if simply powering off and back on doesn't fix it):

1) Disable iMessage in Settings -> Messages,
2) Hold down the power button and slide to turn off the iPhone
3) Reenable iMessage.

Wish I'd tried this first.  Resetting the network settings worked successfully for me (iMessages worked when using my email address, but not my phone number), but I'm not looking forward to asking everyone for their wifi passwords again...

post #14 of 51
Using iOS 7 on 3 iPads and 3 iPhones in our home...none of us have had these issues.
post #15 of 51

iOS7 problem?

Rubbish.

iMessages on the Mac OS Mountain Lion and Mavericks is experiencing the same issue.

I've also noticed both my iOS7 iPad 4 and iPhone 5 experiencing issues syncing reminders, notes, email, etc...

This appears to be yet another Apple iCloud issue.

post #16 of 51
Quote:

I don't have this issue with iOS 7 but did yesterday on my iPad which is still running iOS 6.
post #17 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

iOS7 problem?

Rubbish.

iMessages on the Mac OS Mountain Lion and Mavericks is experiencing the same issue.

I've also noticed both my iOS7 iPad 4 and iPhone 5 experiencing issues syncing reminders, notes, email, etc...

This appears to be yet another Apple iCloud issue.
Yep. Why does Apple suck so much when it comes to the cloud? When I upgraded to iOS 7 I finally turned on iTunes Match so I would lose the commercials in iTunes radio. But I've had issues with not all my music being available. I go searching for a song and its not available to stream. And this is is music I purchased from iTunes. So annoying.
post #18 of 51
My 5S and my wife's 5S have no problems whatsoever with texting, but our old 4Ss did (with iOS7). I could sometimes send a text, usually with an attached picture, and it would send fine. But the next day I would see a warning beside that message telling me it didn't go through. That's the extent of the problems I've seen with texting on iOS7.
post #19 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yep. Why does Apple suck so much when it comes to the cloud? 

Although I'll admit that Apple does appear to be experiencing a bit of a learning curve when it comes to their online services I'll also admit that they appear to be learning at an exponential rate and have improved dramatically in the last twelve months or so.

Give them time.

They'll get it right eventually.

Edited by GTR - 10/2/13 at 4:35am
post #20 of 51
iMessage is having issues ever since it launched. Just open it simultaneously on a Mac and on your iPhone: the same message often arrives minutes later on the Mac. Okay, that could be a network problem, though it's strange I only have that with iMessage. As a result the timeline gets a terrible mess and isn't corrected. You end up with very confusing conversations.
post #21 of 51
Quote:

We do not know each other, but I am not experiencing the issue. I doubt Apple has a reason to lie. It could have just as easily left out the fraction of one percent comment, and just said it was working on the matter. 

post #22 of 51
Quote:

That's the problem with anecdotal evidence. No iOS 7 user I know is having a problem. Now what?

post #23 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmrtzzz View Post

iMessage is having issues ever since it launched. Just open it simultaneously on a Mac and on your iPhone: the same message often arrives minutes later on the Mac. Okay, that could be a network problem, though it's strange I only have that with iMessage. As a result the timeline gets a terrible mess and isn't corrected. You end up with very confusing conversations.

I agree with that. My girlfriend and I have gotten in huge fights because we would receive each other's messages out of order. Apple seemed to correct the issue for a while, and now I still have the problem.

post #24 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmrtzzz View Post

I agree. Also annoying is that my ipad and mac trends to forget the phone number associated with iMessage which makes for a very jumbled conversation

post #25 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yep. Why does Apple suck so much when it comes to the cloud? 

Although I'll admit that Apple does appear to be experiencing a bit of a learning curve when it comes to their online services I'll also admit that they appear to be learning at an exponential rate and have improved dramatically in the last twelve months or so.

Give them time.

They'll get it right eventually.

I agree with that. It has gotten better. Some of the issues I think have to do with whether iMessage sends a message via wifi, cellular data,  or as a text. When send via wifi or cellular data everything seems to be fine. When it gets sent as a text, that seems to mess things up sometimes. 

post #26 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Emperor View Post

That's the problem with anecdotal evidence. No iOS 7 user I know is having a problem. Now what?

Not that there aren't +-.01% users experiencing problems, but I can say the same thing - no issues with any of my iDevices, nor has anyone i communicate with (that have iDevices) said they have any problems. in fact we all love the new iOS looks and functionality.

Way to go Apple!!

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

post #27 of 51
Getting messages out of order isn't the issue at hand, is it?
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #28 of 51
My friend and I both had this problem using our ip5. I'm not sure about his ipad, but I know my ipad4 had the problem as well. I reset the network setting and seems to have fixed it.
post #29 of 51
Not having the iMessage problem with my iPhone 5.

Re the WiFi problem reported by "dickprinter" above (now there's a visual I wish I could get rid of...), try deleting the saved iOS WiFi profile for this network and setting it up again. This has worked with previous WiFi issues. Disclaimer: I'm not having that problem with iOS7 either.
post #30 of 51
It's worth noting that the "simple procedure" that can be used to resolve this (I have used it, and it worked for me) also results in the loss of all stored WiFi passwords which isn't ideal.
post #31 of 51

I'm not seeing iMessage issues on Mavericks or any iOS 7 device in my scope.

I do see plenty of other issues with the movement of the UI, hangs and freezes, Wifi and bluetooth odd behavior, and more.

Hopefully iMessage is not the only thing patched with 7.0.3.

post #32 of 51

Well, just from my end I can report that I've experienced this issue, but only occasionally. And it happened on my Mac as well. 

All in all, though, Ive' been able to carry on extended iMessage convos on the regular as of late with nothing to really complain about. 

post #33 of 51

I dislike a lot the delayed scrolling and bouncing in iMessage in iOS 7.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #34 of 51
It's more than a fraction, some people just deal with it until there's a fix.
post #35 of 51
Quote:

Unless you know more than 2 million IOS users, your comment is anecdotal and worthless.
post #36 of 51

Weird. It's not happening to my wife and I at all.

iMessage is working better than it did under iOS 6.

post #37 of 51

I sent a couple of iMessages to my wife yesterday on my iPhone 5 and I noticed the progress bar still hadn't gone all the way across 30 minutes later.  Subsequent attempts failed too.  I ended up just tapping and holding on the message and then selecting Send As Text.  That's an OK workaround for phone-to-phone messaging, but it doesn't help iPads or Macs.

post #38 of 51
my iphone 4 having no problem with ios 7
its an amazing but a little bit slow while making comment i,e keypad problem i have 7.0.2
post #39 of 51

There's an episode of the Simpsons where Lisa's class visits a newspaper factory.  The students are told each newspaper contains a certain percentage or recycled material.  Lisa astutely asks what percent.  The tour guide replies, "Zero is a percent."  It's been a running gag between me and my wife for some time now.  It's important to remember that the opposite is true - 100 is also a percent, as is everything in between.

When I first read this statement, I took a fraction of a percent to mean a fraction of 1%.  However, the wording is unclear.  A fraction of a percent could be 1/4 of 1%, or it could be 9/10 of 100%.  Obviously, I'm not implying 90% of users are having this issue, and I don't think the point of this statement was to mislead the public.  It's just a reminder that word choice is important.

p.s. - My wife is having this issues, but I don't know of anyone else (myself included).

post #40 of 51

So far this fix has worked for me.  Fingers crossed until the next update.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple confirms iOS 7 causing iMessage issues, says fix is in the works