or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple alone now holds 10% of all US corporate cash
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple alone now holds 10% of all US corporate cash - Page 2

post #41 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don108 View Post
 

Does that $147 billion include just the money Apple has in the U.S., or does it also include money held overseas in order to dodge paying its fair share of taxes?

 

About two-thirds of the money is outside the US. And rightly so.

 

It is all after-tax cash. Apple 'dodges' no taxes. Not a cent. They have paid their 'fair share' of taxes where and when they are required to, including in the US. They are the single largest tax-paying corporation in the US.

post #42 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

About two-thirds of the money is outside the US. And rightly so.

It is all after-tax cash. Apple 'dodges' no taxes. Not a cent. They have paid their 'fair share' of taxes where and when they are required to, including in the US. They are the single largest tax-paying corporation in the US.

I think they're way behind Exxon in taxes paid. There's probably some subtle disclaimer there somewhere in Apple's statement.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2013/03/17/companies-paying-highest-income-taxes/1991313/
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #43 of 67

And yet, apple employees still live paycheck to paycheck with only a 3% "Cost of living" increase. 

 

Since when did inflation only grow 3% year?

post #44 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

About two-thirds of the money is outside the US. And rightly so.

It is all after-tax cash. Apple 'dodges' no taxes. Not a cent. They have paid their 'fair share' of taxes where and when they are required to, including in the US. They are the single largest tax-paying corporation in the US.

I think they're way behind Exxon in taxes paid. There's probably some subtle disclaimer there somewhere in Apple's statement.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2013/03/17/companies-paying-highest-income-taxes/1991313/

 

Are you implying that Tim Cook must have lied to a Senate panel: 

TESTIMONY OF APPLE INC. BEFORE THE PERMANENT ...

post #45 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Are you implying that Tim Cook must have lied to a Senate panel: 
TESTIMONY OF APPLE INC. BEFORE THE PERMANENT ...

Not at all. There's gotta be a qualifier or disclaimer in there somewhere unless Apple paid more than $31Billion in income taxes last year.

EDIT: ...and there is. The actual statement from your link was:
"Apple is likely the largest corporate income tax payer in the US, having paid nearly $6 billion in taxes to the US Treasury in FY2012."
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #46 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawporta View Post
 

And yet, apple employees still live paycheck to paycheck with only a 3% "Cost of living" increase. 

 

Since when did inflation only grow 3% year?

 

Only during the past 133 years? In fact, less than 3% (Mean = 2.27%; Median = 2.33%):

http://www.multpl.com/inflation/

post #47 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Not at all. There's gotta be a qualifier or disclaimer in there somewhere unless Apple paid more than $31Billion in income taxes last year.

EDIT: ...and there is. The actual statement from your link was:
Apple is likely the largest corporate income tax payer in the US, having paid nearly $6 billion in taxes to the US Treasury in FY2012.

 

Apple did. In the US, as I said in my original post. Move along. 

post #48 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple did. In the US, as I said in my original post. Move along. 

Cook never once said they were the largest US corporate taxpayer. Geesh, it's not my quote it's Cooks, so ignore "likely" if it makes you happier.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #49 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple did. In the US, as I said in my original post. Move along. 

Cook never once said they were the largest US corporate taxpayer. Geesh, it's not my quote it's Cooks, so ignore "likely" if it makes you happier.

 

I couldn't be happier.

 

Likewise, you're free to believe/quote/ignore whatever you want, if that makes you happier. It's a free country.

post #50 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I couldn't be happier.

Likewise, you're free to believe/quote/ignore whatever you want, if that makes you happier. It's a free country.

Thanks, I'm pretty happy myself. Been a good business day so far. Actually a much better than average couple of weeks for that matter.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #51 of 67
Apple will spend the money - I believe that some time in the near future, they will purchase a few satellites to deliver internet or they will purchase a few cable companies in order to deliver internet to homes.
It seems to me that Apple is going to change TV and Radio as we know it as they steadily add Channels to iTV - but all this requires internet and the cable companies at some point will lose money as people will no longer need tv content from cable companies thanks to apple streaming for free and paid for by advertisers - just like the old days when Antenna's used to be on our homes - content was free.
post #52 of 67
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

It's nothing more than idea backed by confidence.

 

Sounds like Apple to me: making the best products in the world is the idea, and they’re confident they can do it. ;)

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #53 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post


Tim Cook has said repeatedly that Apple is a products company, plain and simple. If they became a financial institution all of a sudden that would be diametrically opposed to being a products company. Doesn't make any sense at all

 

But some hardware companies do find themselves backing into finance: GE is a huge "bank", IIRC.

post #54 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mecca View Post

Apple will spend the money - I believe that some time in the near future, they will purchase a few satellites to deliver internet or they will purchase a few cable companies in order to deliver internet to homes.
It seems to me that Apple is going to change TV and Radio as we know it as they steadily add Channels to iTV - but all this requires internet and the cable companies at some point will lose money as people will no longer need tv content from cable companies thanks to apple streaming for free and paid for by advertisers - just like the old days when Antenna's used to be on our homes - content was free.

 

Satellites could make sense, especially powering a faster version of the internet: they do keep expanding their server farm footprint...

 

But entire space programs (the Mars Rover missions come to mind) cost a fraction of their holdings...

post #55 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post


Tim Cook has said repeatedly that Apple is a products company, plain and simple. If they became a financial institution all of a sudden that would be diametrically opposed to being a products company. Doesn't make any sense at all

 

If 'icloud' is a product, then 'iBank' can be one too;-)

 

Apple provides services, and even does financing.

Look at Passbook as  something you can 'put cash in' and all of a sudden Apple's providing pre-paid e-spending cards.

 

It doesn't have to be 'apple' it could be a wholly owned subsidiary, paid for by cash, of course... and can be in several different [safe banking] countries.

My first choice wouldn't be a bank, but a payment card processor (reduce the fees on CC transactions as your own PCP). 

Then as an 'ecard' issuer (cut more fees... turn your fingerprint&phone into a credit card for all in-app purchases)

Then as a bank (primarily to support ACH xfers directly from other banks, and cutting out credit cards altogether.).

 

Basically, your AppleID can have a checking account, or even a loan attached.

And an ATM in every Apple Store;-)

post #56 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

And yet Icahn is telling Apple to get rid of all of its money.

 

Why would you want Apple to hold on to its vast cash positions that's generating very little returns? Do you want Apple to start a prop trading side business?

post #57 of 67
Be careful Apple. Obama might demand you be "fair" and distribute your cash to other businesses so all corporations are equal.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #58 of 67
Originally Posted by mrnohnaimers View Post
Why would you want Apple to hold on to its vast cash positions that's generating very little returns?

 

Why would I want Apple to run its business responsibly? Can’t imagine.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #59 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Why would I want Apple to run its business responsibly? Can’t imagine.

Since when did holding large cash positions = practicing responsible business and when did not holding large cash positions = irresponsible business practice?

post #60 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, that was a budget surplus, not a financial one. We haven’t been out of debt for decades.

Everyone runs on debt. Everyone has debt. And no one is every not in debt. If you have money in the bank, that money is an asset to you, but a liability (debt) on the bank's accounts. Almost every one uses credit cards. That's a debt. Home loans, debt. You work an hour. You have hours worth of assets, and your employer or client has an equivalent amount of debt.

No one is ever out of debt.
post #61 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

If 'icloud' is a product, then 'iBank' can be one too;-)

Apple provides services, and even does financing.
Look at Passbook as  something you can 'put cash in' and all of a sudden Apple's providing pre-paid e-spending cards.

It doesn't have to be 'apple' it could be a wholly owned subsidiary, paid for by cash, of course... and can be in several different [safe banking] countries.
My first choice wouldn't be a bank, but a payment card processor (reduce the fees on CC transactions as your own PCP). 
Then as an 'ecard' issuer (cut more fees... turn your fingerprint&phone into a credit card for all in-app purchases)
Then as a bank (primarily to support ACH xfers directly from other banks, and cutting out credit cards altogether.).

Basically, your AppleID can have a checking account, or even a loan attached.
And an ATM in every Apple Store;-)

That would be dangerous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnohnaimers View Post

Why would you want Apple to hold on to its vast cash positions that's generating very little returns? Do you want Apple to start a prop trading side business?

It's always good to have a reserve. Why spend it just to spend it?
post #62 of 67
Originally Posted by mrnohnaimers View Post
Since when did holding large cash positions = practicing responsible business and when did not holding large cash positions = irresponsible business practice?

 

When those without them are too incompetent to generate them and when those without them tend to overspend into oblivion.

 

Simple.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #63 of 67
OMG only 147 billion! and there products are not selling well... domed stick should be at $100 bucks... CNBC
post #64 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

When posting or when editing posts? That used to happen on the latter for me (they seem to have fixed it now), but Mavericks and Safari 7.

Now I think about it I think it is editing ... I run Mavericks and 7 too but was in 10.8.5 at the time. Good to know it isn't happening in 10.9.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #65 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Bailey View Post

Lend money to the US Govt. is that safe?

 

It is actually quite safe except when Congress refuses to lift the debt limit.

post #66 of 67
If Apple has so much cash, it's probably because of its lake of innovation.
Buying systematically the best enterprise of any new technology to see what can be done with it to create new products later, it's what this cash is made for. Moreover, it would preserve the secret on Apple's new products, as it's impossible to know what one could do with its library.
I think Woz would be happy to play with new technologies and ask to customers' needs.
I would be so happy to have the holographic keyboard !
post #67 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy girl View Post

If Apple has so much cash, it's probably because of its lake of innovation.
Buying systematically the best enterprise of any new technology to see what can be done with it to create new products later, it's what this cash is made for. Moreover, it would preserve the secret on Apple's new products, as it's impossible to know what one could do with its library.
I think Woz would be happy to play with new technologies and ask to customers' needs.
I would be so happy to have the holographic keyboard !

Spending money just to spend is pointless. You can't just throw money at innovation. You can't innovate on a schedule. Even with its cash horde, Apple still out-innovates its competition.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple alone now holds 10% of all US corporate cash