or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung scrambled to finish Galaxy Gear smart watch & beat Apple's rumored 'iWatch' to market

Samsung scrambled to finish Galaxy Gear smart watch & beat Apple's rumored 'iWatch' to market - Page 2

post #41 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLGUY View Post

Who the fsck did they survey that said they want a camera on their wrist?

Mass debaters?
post #42 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Btw, that CNet article absolutely reads like a paid advertorial. It probably isn't as obvious as that, but I bet it's something like "Hey CNet, we will give you exclusive interviews with all our top guys if you write a positive article about the Gear's development". And while even CNet isn't going to stoop as low as to call the turd that is this "smart"watch a decent product, they made it about Samsung, and how impressive they were in quickly delivering this (crap) product.

Actually, it's known as "Paid PR" and is more commonplace than you may realize.

In some industry magazines, better than half the "articles" are in fact paid promotion pieces.

post #43 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLGUY View Post

Who the fsck did they survey that said they want a camera on their wrist?

Pretty sure it was some guy named Dick Tracy….

post #44 of 61
So, from reading the comments above, Samsung's ongoing strategy is based on the philosophy of a 12 year old YouTube commenter. ("FIRST!")

The thing that continues to amaze me is that, since the iPhone release, Apple has had total control of the IT market without having to even release a device.

Basically, when there were rumours of the iPhone, everyone said "Yeah, sure, we've been doing phones for years. Apple will fail." and were then caught off balance by the actual announcement. It was a phone, but it wasn't what they expected.

Since then. everyone's been determined not to let that happen again, so when a rumour comes out that Apple is working on a tablet, without even announcing anything, everyone rushes to get theirs out first, and they are still caught wrong footed by the iPad.

So a rumour starts that Apple is working on a television...nothing announced, but already other manufacturers are producing "Smart" TVs to compete. And the TV still isn't here, but it's all about beating Apple's non-existant product.

So now we see exactly the same thing with the "SmartWatch". Apple may be working on one. There's a lot of information coming out that suggests they are, but as yet nothing. But Samsung are running scared already, and rushed theirs to market before Apple can get theirs out.

So we see that Samsung, and other manufacturers, have basically ceded any control they might have had over the market to Apple. This is not going to go well for them.
post #45 of 61
If you're changing the UI 1 week before launch, you have a problem.
post #46 of 61
Let's start a rumor that is Apple is making an iStool. Sammy will then develop...oh wait they already make crap.
post #47 of 61
People at apple must really find it funny, they will probably come up with something that blows Samsung smart watch 1,2 generation back into the hole they came out of. If apple introduces 1 it could run on a more powerful M type proccesor and have weeks of battery life, being thinner than Sam-snug and of course have flash, FaceTime camera, and other unknown goodies, obviously way less powerful than iPhones and better than any other watches so in the middle with a $100-200 price tag.
post #48 of 61

Samsung products suck. This is not news.

Although I hear their refrigerators aren't bad...until they break.

post #49 of 61

I suspected as much.  Getting a half-baked item to beat Apple to the punch.  It's not even a jab, though - it just lowered the respectability of Samsung if it's even possible, for me.

A big FAIL on Samsung's part.

post #50 of 61
Just read the quote above. "We put all things together and said let's just go for it". Samsung is the very antithesis of Apple's ethos that places the customer experience over everything else, which is why a lot of people find the former's actions repugnant.
post #51 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

There's a brave Scamsung. Way to go, take a guess at Apple's next move and try to beat it. But I bet you are a little worried about being way off target though eh? 1wink.gif

Def not a guess but it is obvious Samsung wanted to beat Apple to a smart watch purely based on rumors or inside knowledge if Apple is using Samsung manufactured parts for test/beta units. Of course smart watches are not new and I can respect a company trying to compete but its different with Samsung. Its almost personal and Samsung is doing all it can to take ideas from Apple and use it against Apple.

post #52 of 61
iWatch = vaporware at this point. I'll believe it when I see it.
post #53 of 61
Originally Posted by GoonerYoda View Post
iWatch = vaporware at this point.

Not since Apple had nothing to do with it.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #54 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

Beside the technical failings, it still incumbent upon aesthetics, and that's the hard part. People care even if they only wear jeans and a t-shirt, about what they wear. Especially if it costs 300 bucks. Gear is neither causal, nor elegant, I don't know what demographic it is aimed at, or who would feel comfortable wearing that contraption, much less use it.

It's aimed at samsung nerds.
post #55 of 61

Great.  Must get me one of these.

MacBook Pro 17" early-2011 with 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 64GB white

MacBook Pro 17" early-2011 with 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 64GB white

post #56 of 61

I think that it would be funny if apple launched a new product that is not a watch and called it iWatch, like maybe a new apple tv heavily upgraded. Leave samesong hanging on to that wrist brick they call a smart watch. Im sure that samesong will come out with a new iteration of there wrist brick just to beat the as of yet unannounced iWatch.

post #57 of 61
"The device's failings may stem from a rushed development process, according to a new report from Cnet. That report paints a picture of a tech conglomerate able to take a device from concept to product in a matter of months, "

Wasn't a lot of AI users deny this when Samsung announced it? That Samsung won't be able to do it in mere months? If anyone is curious you can check these people at the Samsung smart watch thread.
post #58 of 61
Samsung will wait until Apple releases "iWatch" then they will go back to the drawing board to make it look exactly like that of Apple.
post #59 of 61

I don't believe now or ever that Apple intends to come out with a "smart" watch. I think they patented the name to protect it from somebody else using it, and to "F" with companies like Samsung. A simple inexpensive way to force the competition to go bonkers and try and beat Apple to the punch, when in reality they had no intention of ever doing it. Think about it, it makes sense.

post #60 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

"The device's failings may stem from a rushed development process, according to a new report from Cnet. That report paints a picture of a tech conglomerate able to take a device from concept to product in a matter of months, "

Wasn't a lot of AI users deny this when Samsung announced it? That Samsung won't be able to do it in mere months? If anyone is curious you can check these people at the Samsung smart watch thread.

I think we said Sammy couldn't make a useful smart watch in mere months. And from the reviews, they haven't.
post #61 of 61
Our culture privileges superficial innovation over truly being able to deliver. Time and again Apple have exploited this superficiality in culture by biding their time until they can really deliver a product. It takes a lot of strength and a big cash pile to be able to do this. One reason why I don't want Apple to exhaust its cash pile in a thermonuclear buyback, I want it to keep enough back to run for several years in the bad times so that it doesn't become a slave to the market but can continue to build the right thing that delights people.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung scrambled to finish Galaxy Gear smart watch & beat Apple's rumored 'iWatch' to market