or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's 'iPad 5' and 'iPad mini 2' to sport iPhone-quality 8MP cameras, Sony to supply sensors

Apple's 'iPad 5' and 'iPad mini 2' to sport iPhone-quality 8MP cameras, Sony to supply sensors

post #1 of 40
According to a report from KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple's iPad and iPad mini will both sport 8 megapixel rear cameras with new lens elements from Genius and Largan, and AppleInsider has independently learned the sensor modules will be provided solely by Sony.

iPad Camera

In his note to investors, Kuo predicts Apple will launch the so-called "iPad 5" and "iPad mini 2" later in quarter four, with upgraded 8MP shooters and enhanced lens elements. Separately, an inside source tells AppleInsider that Sony nabbed all sensor orders bound for the next-generation tablets.

With the new Sony sensors, Apple will bump resolution to 8MP, up from 5MP in the fourth-generation iPad and iPad mini. The boosted specs will be a first for Apple, which traditionally fields tablets with cameras comparatively lower in resolution than the flagship iPhone.

The source did not specify what type of module will be used, but it can be speculated that Apple will employ a backside illuminated component, possibly with larger 1.5-micron pixels, as seen in the iPhone 5s.

As for Kuo's report, the analyst believes Apple will rely on camera upgrades to further differentiate the iPad from competitors in a tablet market becoming increasingly crowded with high-spec Android devices.

Apple's previous ace in the hole, the Retina display, has been effectively implemented by a number of other manufacturers. Most recently, Amazon's 7-inch and 8.9-inch Kindle Fire HDX tablets boast pixel densities of 323 ppi and 339 ppi, respectively, much higher than the 264 ppi found in Apple's fourth-generation iPad.

Along with the sensor buff, Kuo notes the iPad 5 will sport an updated five-element lens module with larger aperture manufactured by Genius Optics and Largan. The two firms are responsible for the optics used in Apple's iPhone 5s and 5c.

Finally, Kuo forecasts shipments of the iPad 5 at 1.2 million units and 10.5 million units for the third and fourth quarter, respectively. The iPad mini 2 stands at zero units in quarter three and 2.1 million units in quarter four. This last metric aligns with a report earlier today that claimed the mini would see severe supply constraints if launched this year.
post #2 of 40
CAUTION: RUMOR ONLY. Pay no mind to the wording of the headline.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #3 of 40
What almost everyone is holding out for is a Retina iPad mini.
post #4 of 40
People taking photos with an iPad should be shot...with a proper camera and put on some Hall of Shame site!
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #5 of 40
Look forward to it. Never use it- but I guess it's alright.

Selling the iPad and iPad mini this weekend in prep for the new ones.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #6 of 40
I will buy one because of the cameras. The iPad is very valuable for photography and film. There are outstanding Apps that make everything into an inspirationsl journey.
post #7 of 40
Sorry, I meant inspirational...
post #8 of 40
Hmm....if Apple is looking to improve the iPad compared to competitors is 8MP camera what consumers are really looking for? I guess if they implement some of the technology from the iPhone 5S, but iPads don't have flash so...

As I've said before I'll be bummed if Apple updates the mini but still no retina display. I think if you asked people the #1 thing they'd like to see with the 2nd gen mini it would be retina display.
post #9 of 40
Why update the camera and not add a flash? I never use mine for taking photos, but many folks do. And if you update the camera they should definitely add a flash for better photos.

Any rumors on adding the finger print sensor in the new iPads? Seems like a no brainer, but I've not seen any rumors.
post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH81 View Post

Why update the camera and not add a flash? I never use mine for taking photos, but many folks do. And if you update the camera they should definitely add a flash for better photos.

Any rumors on adding the finger print sensor in the new iPads? Seems like a no brainer, but I've not seen any rumors.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/02/new-video-explores-possibility-of-touch-id-in-fifth-generation-ipad/

post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to a report from KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple's iPad and iPad mini will both sport 8 megapixel rear cameras with new lens elements from Genius and Largan, and AppleInsider has independently learned the sensor modules will be provided solely by Sony.

iPad Camera

Finally, Kuo forecasts shipments of the iPad 5 at 1.2 million units and 10.5 million units for the third and fourth quarter, respectively. The iPad mini 2 stands at zero units in quarter three and 2.1 million units in quarter four. This last metric aligns with a report earlier today that claimed the mini would see severe supply constraints if launched this year.

Ummm didn't quarter 3 (fiscal quarter 4 for Apple) just end. How is Apple supposed to ship 1.2 million units of an unreleased product in a quarter that's already over??
post #12 of 40
Who cares about the camera in an iPad? You don't carry this thing around with you, the people taking photos with it look like complete tools
post #13 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

People taking photos with an iPad should be shot...with a proper camera and put on some Hall of Shame site!

Agree.  I'd prefer a higher res camera on the front, none on the back.  There's no way in hell I'd take a picture with an ipad.  Never have

post #14 of 40

Don't most people carrying an iPad usually have an iPhone on them? Just get rid of that iPad 2 already and give me a Retina iPad mini, Tim.

iPad mini: $299

iPad mini 2-Retina: $399

Would I like a Retina mini cheaper? Of course, but look at that iPhone 5c pricing.

For your sake, I hope you're right.
For your sake, I hope you're right.
post #15 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post

Ummm didn't quarter 3 (fiscal quarter 4 for Apple) just end. How is Apple supposed to ship 1.2 million units of an unreleased product in a quarter that's already over??

The analyst probably meant calendar quarter, rather than fiscal quarter. This confusion happens a lot and it would be helpful if articles would specify which type of quarter they are referencing.
post #16 of 40
I cannot believe this will be Apple's big upgrade for the year, especially in the mini. If it is, I'm afraid for the future. No none is waiting with baited breathe for a better camera. This will be a (relative) flop IF that's it.
post #17 of 40
Originally Posted by Captain J View Post
I cannot believe this will be Apple's big upgrade for the year, especially in the mini.

Good, because it obviously won’t be. Enough FUD.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #18 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

I cannot believe this will be Apple's big upgrade for the year, especially in the mini. If it is, I'm afraid for the future. No none is waiting with baited breathe for a better camera. This will be a (relative) flop IF that's it.

I bet baited breath stinks.

post #19 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

The best camera in the world is the one you have with you at the time...

"Hey look, a UFO !!!"

"Dang it dude, all I have with me is the new iPad 5 with slomo and 8 meg of big-assed pixels, too bad I don't have a proper camera so I could take a picture..."

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I bet baited breath stinks.

Yeah it does, but how else can you keep your worms warm??

post #21 of 40
And if they don't it is because of supply chain issues.
post #22 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

The analyst probably meant calendar quarter, rather than fiscal quarter. This confusion happens a lot and it would be helpful if articles would specify which type of quarter they are referencing.

But he said he expects them to ship 1.2 million iPad 5 units in the 3rd quarter.  Again the 3rd quarter just ended for calendar and it ended in June for Apples fiscal calendar.  So my question stands....how can Apple ship 1.2 million units of an unreleased product in a quarter that is already finished??? 

post #23 of 40
Quote:

But he said he expects them to ship 1.2 million iPad 5 units in the 3rd quarter.  Again the 3rd quarter just ended for calendar and it ended in June for Apples fiscal calendar.  So my question stands....how can Apple ship 1.2 million units of an unreleased product in a quarter that is already finished??? 

Without the actual report we're assuming AI correctly reported it. FWIW Kuo is one of the most accurate Apple analysts. So how accurate? Take a look at what he predicted from Apple back in January of this year.
http://www.iphonehacks.com/2013/01/analyst-iphone-5s-fingerprint-sensor.html
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #24 of 40
post #25 of 40

Having taken many thousands of photos on a Sony (/Minolta) alpha camera , I'm glad to hear that Sony is doing the sensors. They're still make quality stuff (compared to their Korean counterparts) and they need all the money they can get (after last year's $ 6B loss!)

post #26 of 40
Apple knows what they're doing with improving the cameras on the iPads. The screen is the world's greatest viewfinder, for one, letting you compose a shot in the camera like never before. For another, the flat rectangle pushes you to frame in three dimensions. You can watch your azimuth better, for example.

I feel sorry for those who are so concerned about how they look using the camera that they miss the benefits of the new form factor. Actually, on second thought, not so sorry. You guys just stay shut in your little mental rooms, but it would be fine with me if you stopped posting the same dumb things about iPad photography every time it comes up.

A friend just got her first iPad last week and was showing me some of her pictures. Great still lifes just of stuff she has around the house and garden. Apple + Sony make great cameras. Regular people love having this capability lying around on the couch or the table.
post #27 of 40

The better camera isn't a huge deal for me, but it tells me that Apple isn't pulling any punches with the iPad 5 & Mini 2.  It gives them something else to differentiate and brag about in their marketing, and for that small percentage of users who often use the iPad's rear camera and that much larger percentage who will on random occasion use the rear camera it will result in a very visible benefit.

And at what cost?  With iPhone and iPad orders Apple will buy something like 225 million 8mp cameras instead of 150 million 8mp's for iPhone plus another 75 million 5mp's for iPad.  At those volumes I cannot imagine their cost difference between the 8mp and 5mp to be more than a dollar or two per iPad.  In my book, that's a dollar or two well spent.

post #28 of 40
Quote:

Yeah, I didn't catch it until you pointed it out, but those numbers don't make any sense.  We just began calendar 4Q and Apple's fiscal 1Q.  A quick google search (I know) showed those numbers in an article from Sept 4th.  Guessing that AI was pulling old projections.  Perhaps all the info is a month old or perhaps they combined a new report with an old report for the article.

post #29 of 40
Nobody needs a camera on an iPad, yet all the android tablets like the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 have started having them?
post #30 of 40
I was hoping that when it was revealed some time ago that Sony was being used for the cam sensor, that Apple would be using that latest "higher" quality sensors.

Even though through NHK those sensors were shown in various programs since Jan this year.
It was to soon (close) to the Xperia Z1 release or asking price for now was to much?
http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/30/4784014/sony-xperia-z1-review

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/tv/jtech/index.html

The camera was shown even in a dark-room which was almost pitch black due to strong sunlight outside (this happens in really hot climates)
without Flash the pics were clear has day!
post #31 of 40
Guess they refer to fiscal quarters 1Q2014-2Q2014 i.e. calendar quarters 4Q2013-1Q2014...
post #32 of 40
The better the camera the better the iPad.
Having said that, unless it's Retina - Why bother?

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #33 of 40
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post
Having said that, unless it's Retina - Why bother?

The screen on my little point and shoot isn’t the same resolution as the pictures it takes. I guess it shouldn’t have such a high resolution, then, huh?

post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The screen on my little point and shoot isn’t the same resolution as the pictures it takes. I guess it shouldn’t have such a high resolution, then, huh?

His point would be that you don't edit on your point and shoot like you would an iPad.  But regardless, his point doesn't make sense- that's like saying you can edit a photo on an iPad 4 better than an iPad 2- which isn't true in the practical sense.

post #35 of 40
The 8 megapixel has been on 3 iPhone generations now (iPhone 5C=5) I think they might hit iPads by now, just when will apple upgrade the pixels now, they did for 3 years and now not for 3 years, just strange.
post #36 of 40
8MP lenses is misleading as shit, the lens has no fixed resolution, only the sensor does...
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

8MP lenses is misleading as shit, the lens has no fixed resolution, only the sensor does...

Still, even grannies know what it means...heck, even Samsung users know what is meant. And those are often the ones with a single-digit IQ.
post #38 of 40
Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

Who said anything about lenses having resolution? :???: 

post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

The 8 megapixel has been on 3 iPhone generations now (iPhone 5C=5) I think they might hit iPads by now, just when will apple upgrade the pixels now, they did for 3 years and now not for 3 years, just strange.

Bollocks to that! it's not strange at all. The limiting parameter in phone cameras picture quality is sensor noise, and increasing the pixel density can make that worse. Simple experiment: take an indoor picture of a dark-coloured object with daytime ambient lighting on an SLR set to 3 MP; take the same picture with a phone (yes, even an iP 5S) set to 8 MP. The phone picture will look like brown muddy shit compared to the "low resolution" SLR pic. Apple is doing exactly the right thing by keeping the lens a prime and increasing its aperture, and by improving the size and sensitivity of the sensor, as well as by software optimization. 

post #40 of 40
Remember Kids, never mind the man behind the curtain this is the all powerful and wise Oz, not some idiot analyst. Apple's financials have shown the traditionally strong december Quarter as the 1st Q of the financial year. 3rd Q just ended 4 days ago and 4th Q just started. I would guess that the writer is quoting an old version of this guy from KGI with some speculation that the iPad and mini iPad would be released in September. He is already wrong and you are still using his ideas. Maybe find someone else to quote?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's 'iPad 5' and 'iPad mini 2' to sport iPhone-quality 8MP cameras, Sony to supply sensors
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's 'iPad 5' and 'iPad mini 2' to sport iPhone-quality 8MP cameras, Sony to supply sensors