or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Video shows purported 'iPad 5' components with room for Touch ID sensor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Video shows purported 'iPad 5' components with room for Touch ID sensor

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
A new video emerged on Wednesday showing parts that are said to be bound for the next generation iPad, and those parts appear to be perfectly suited for Apple to include its Touch ID biometric sensor.



The video, posted to YouTube by Unbox Therapy, takes the front panel said to be from a forthcoming fifth-generation iPad and compares the home button cutout against the same part for the current iPad. The so-called "iPad 5" is said to draw its design from that of the iPad mini, and the opening for the home button on the purported next-gen case is too small for the home button on the older model to fit through.



What will fit, though, is the Touch ID fingerprint scanner-enabled home button Apple built into the iPhone 5s. When removed from the handset, the Touch ID button sits flush inside the hole in the supposed iPad 5's facade.

Given Apple's typical secrecy with regard to unannounced products, it is impossible to say whether the components shown in the video are indeed from a forthcoming iPad. The components do, however, match previous leaks. Apple typically attempts to standardize technologies across its smartphone and tablet product lines, and the inclusion of a major component like Touch ID would be a logical next step.

However, Apple is also said to have encountered difficulties in producing Touch ID sensors in large numbers in the lead up to the iPhone 5s' launch. Those production woes are thought to have been behind a factor in the higher-end iPhone's lack of a preorder period. Industry observers have since speculated that Apple may have solved its production issues, but Cupertino has revealed no additional information on this front.

Current speculation holds that Apple will unveil the iPad 5 and iPad mini 2 at an October 15 event, possibly alongside a refresh of its MacBook lineup.
post #2 of 15
First commenter - take that Samesung!
post #3 of 15
Since everyone seems to throw predictions out like monkey poo tossed on a wall…… I'll give my first product release prediction:

1. Mid-october: iPad 5 + laptop refresh + AppleTV refresh

2. Mid-November: iPad mini 2 + MacPro release + Mac Mini refresh

BOOM! Am I right? who the heck knows... but man that was fun. I see why analysts get off on making random speculation. I need to do this more often. LOL
post #4 of 15

Damn! I just figured out where Samsung gets all their ideas from...Appleinsider!

post #5 of 15
I hope the next MacBook Pros come with Touch ID.
post #6 of 15

iPad > iPad 2 > The new iPad > iPad with Retina display > iPad with Touch ID

post #7 of 15
I would be surprised if they included the Touch ID in the new iPads, they seem to be getting a big enough upgrade as it is. I thought, considering Apples release history, they would try and drag the feature out, giving the iPhone 5S a unique feature, a selling point. Just like they did with Siri and the iPhone 4S, they didn't release Siri on the iPad and iPod Touches until the next year. However if they do implement Touch ID I will welcome it with open arms as I planned to get an iPad 5 anyway. Can't wait!
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoman View Post

I would be surprised if they included the Touch ID in the new iPads, they seem to be getting a big enough upgrade as it is. I thought, considering Apples release history, they would try and drag the feature out, giving the iPhone 5S a unique feature, a selling point. Just like they did with Siri and the iPhone 4S, they didn't release Siri on the iPad and iPod Touches until the next year. However if they do implement Touch ID I will welcome it with open arms as I planned to get an iPad 5 anyway. Can't wait!

Was is the next year or did the next iPad release get the Voice Dictation that interacted with the Siri backend instead of being local?

Regardless, i see your point but hope you are not correct. I see a lot of people use the iPad as their primary device and getting them to have some security would simply be a good thing.

I personally think it'll come down to how many they have. If they can't get enough Touch ID sensors for the iPhone 5S needs this year then it's pointless to put in the iPad. If they can, they should add it, but I understand that's a simplistic view that ignores your entirely valid premise.
post #9 of 15
I'd never make any assumptions about availability based on supply chain rumors.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcgersh View Post

Since everyone seems to throw predictions out like monkey poo tossed on a wall…… I'll give my first product release prediction:

1. Mid-october: iPad 5 + laptop refresh + AppleTV refresh

2. Mid-November: iPad mini 2 + MacPro release + Mac Mini refresh

BOOM! Am I right? who the heck knows... but man that was fun. I see why analysts get off on making random speculation. I need to do this more often. LOL

 

Sounds like a wet dream for you...LOL

post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoman View Post

I would be surprised if they included the Touch ID in the new iPads, they seem to be getting a big enough upgrade as it is. I thought, considering Apples release history, they would try and drag the feature out, giving the iPhone 5S a unique feature, a selling point. Just like they did with Siri and the iPhone 4S, they didn't release Siri on the iPad and iPod Touches until the next year. However if they do implement Touch ID I will welcome it with open arms as I planned to get an iPad 5 anyway. Can't wait!

 

That's one way to interpret what happened with Siri. Another way is to say that Siri was still very much in beta, and wasn't quite ready for iPad usage.

 

Touch ID, on the other hand, is a totally different kind of innovation and new feature. They spent a lot of money on this, not just for the IP, but  developing the hardware too. Furthermore, it is a "we finally got here" feature that is a whole new level of security and convenience. They will want to roll this out across all devices eventually, and sooner rather than later. I see this being deployed on the iPad 5, and possibly the mini too. With the unlikelihood of the mini gaining a Retina display, they may need to add Touch ID to prevent their being too much feature disparity between iPads. 

 

If the mini does gain a Retina display this year, Touch ID may be left off of it until next year, as the added cost of both may eat into Apple's margin more than they can accept this year.

post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoman View Post

I would be surprised if they included the Touch ID in the new iPads, they seem to be getting a big enough upgrade as it is. I thought, considering Apples release history, they would try and drag the feature out, giving the iPhone 5S a unique feature, a selling point. Just like they did with Siri and the iPhone 4S, they didn't release Siri on the iPad and iPod Touches until the next year. However if they do implement Touch ID I will welcome it with open arms as I planned to get an iPad 5 anyway. Can't wait!

 

I'm kind of with you on this.  Particularly with the iPad Mini.  If what we have been hearing ends up being true- I'll be elated, but it doesn't make much sense, margin-wise.

 

If the new form-factor iPad and updated Mini both have Retina, A7s, Touch ID, the same 8mp cameras, and 1gb-2gb ram- it's basically a scaled up iPhone 5S with bigger screen, more metal, and bigger batteries.  So a $329 price (which I think will jump up if those specs come out- maybe $399) and a $499 price would be absolute bargains and substantially less margins than their $650 iPhones- particularly with the Mini.  As a consumer, I think it would be great.  But as a shareholder, I would like the Mini to have some lesser differentiations to the iPad.

 

The iPhone used to have a better camera, or better features in some regards than the iPad.  Something to "justify" the reduced cost of the iPad or the increased cost of the iPhone- however you want to look at it.  But if everything else is equal, it's not going to make much sense.  But if no one cares- then who cares?  :p

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post
 

iPad > iPad 2 > The new iPad > iPad with Retina display > iPad with Touch ID

iLike

post #14 of 15
I expect to see Touch ID and the A7 in the high end of the iPad line. Possibly going with 5s branding, vs 5 for the other new iPad model.
post #15 of 15

"However, Apple is also said to have encountered difficulties in producing Touch ID sensors in large numbers in the lead up to the iPhone 5s' launch. Those production woes are thought to have been behind a factor in the higher-end iPhone's lack of a preorder period. Industry observers have since speculated that Apple may have solved its production issues, but Cupertino has revealed no additional information on this front."

 

Unsubstantiated garbage. You'd think AI would have wised up to this nonsense already.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Video shows purported 'iPad 5' components with room for Touch ID sensor
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Video shows purported 'iPad 5' components with room for Touch ID sensor