or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Schools report Apple's iOS 7 breaks iPad supervision profiles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schools report Apple's iOS 7 breaks iPad supervision profiles

post #1 of 84
Thread Starter 
It was reported on Thursday that schools around the U.S. are finding the supervision profiles installed on deployed iPads wiped clean after upgrading to iOS 7, leaving students unsupervised and unprotected from unsavory Web content.

iPad Education


As reported by AllThingsD, a number of schools that have incorporated Apple's iPad into their curriculum are reporting the latest iOS 7 upgrade strips the tablets of installed supervision profiles and filters, which are in place to monitor and protect students who use the device while off campus.

The publication cites a memo sent to parents in the Manitou Springs School District 14 in Colorado:

Apple did not realize that installing iOS 7 would remove our (and thousands of organizations across the country) safety protection measure, which now makes the iPad devices unfiltered when accessing the Internet away from school. In the short term, the district will be collecting iPad devices at the end of each day until the safety protection measure is reinstalled.


All told, Manitou's District 14 had to collect "hundreds" of iPads, wipe and restore them, and reinstall a fresh version of iOS 7 along with any apps and content saved by the student. To avoid the hassle, other schools have resorted to blocking over-the-air iOS 7 downloads altogether by adjusting campus Wi-Fi settings.

One of the issues appears to lie with Apple's Configurator tool, which was updated to version 1.4 alongside the launch of iOS 7 in September. Threads on Apple's Support Communities webpage point to multiple failures and bugs like the disappearance of volume app codes when the tool is used with iPads running iOS 7.

"IT staff can't lockout iOS updates, but can lockout App updates," writes forum member schoolofluck. "This renders Configurator 1.3 and 1.21 dead. Configurator v1.21 and 1.3 do not support iOS7, and most schools have had iOS7 installed because it arrives at the whim of any one student or ipad [sic] user."

Apple is aware of the issue and is working to remedy the situation, though it is unclear exactly how long that will take.

?Some business and education users have reported that their supervised devices have reverted to un-supervised when they upgrade to iOS 7,? Apple spokesperson Trudy Muller told AllThingsD. ?We are aware of this issue and will have a fix this month.?

Thursday's news comes on the heels of a separate issue reported by the Los Angeles Unified School District, which began deploying iPads this fall after signing a $30 million contract to purchase the devices from Apple. Last week, students discovered a workaround to school-imposed security restrictions, allowing them to browse restricted websites like Facebook and YouTube. The "hack" prompted LAUSD officials to repossess iPads from students in at least two schools.

The trouble with iOS 7 comes at a bad time for Apple, which is pushing hard for schools to get behind its iPad in Education initiative. Earlier this year, for example, the company revised its iTunes Store terms and conditions to allow children under the age of 13 to manage their own accounts as long as the Apple ID was requested by an "approved educational institution."
post #2 of 84
So much for anyone who bashed IT teams right?

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #3 of 84
One would expect from Apple they would thoroughly test these kind of setups and configs. I understand the magnitude of such an upgrade, but still...
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #4 of 84
Another day , another major IOS 7 snafu

For me there were issues with FIND FRIENDS, then iMessage
Now schools are affected by this?

Did no one on the IOS7 QA team check it wouldn't break high profile apps/services?
post #5 of 84

Apple now understands [Microsoft] that maintaining and making an enterprise software is not easy task and maintainability is really tough.  :\ ;)

But, Apple should do it better way. 

 

Tim Cook : Write an apology letter Craig, for this.  I dont want kids watching junk on my iPad.

Craig Fred: Nope. Scott Forstall did not write any.

 

Tim Cook: I fired him. So, you are also fired. Craig, you are fired.

Craig: Say what?

 

Tim Cook: Haaa!  Just joking! We are friends.  Scott is not.

Craig: I know. I know. Dont scare me again. 

 

Tim Cook: Chill! Call Jony. Lets have drink.

 

Jony: [under the table] I have been listening to you guyzzzzz! :) 

 

 

:err: 


Edited by Chandra69 - 10/3/13 at 6:42am
post #6 of 84
Agreed. This was a major slip up on Apple's part. I'm an admitted fan, but between this and the last few security issues, I'm thinking Apole needs to take a good hard look at their QC procedures. Too much, too fast = preventable errors.
post #7 of 84
It was dumb of them to upgrade their devices before they knew whether or not it would mess anything up. When you're dealing with something this important and this widespread, you look before you leap. You can do all the testing in the world, but no one releases major new software like this without having problems.
post #8 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

It was dumb of them to upgrade their devices before they knew whether or not it would mess anything up. When you're dealing with something this important and this widespread, you look before you leap. You can do all the testing in the world, but no one releases major new software like this without having problems.

Exactly.

Apple is at fault here, but so are the school districts. You NEVER implement a major upgrade without testing it in your own system and with your own particular setup.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #9 of 84
Good, maybe this'll be the wake up call to Cook to getting back to QCing their products. Maybe I'm just disgruntled that my hoard of Apple products continually fail me on a weekly basis in one way or another, or I'm just overestimating technology. Still better than Android or Windows, but it's been a while since Apple's "it just works" mentality.
post #10 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

So much for anyone who bashed IT teams right?

You mean the IT teams that rolled out an upgrade without testing it?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #11 of 84
I love Apple and what they are all about. This is one example of where they have lost their way of excellence. There are a number of things both in iOS7 and also in the desktop OS that make you question who is watching some of the details.

The bar is set high by them and they need to step up to stay there.
post #12 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


You mean the IT teams that rolled out an upgrade without testing it?

 

On that, I can only agree ^^'

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #13 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

I love Apple and what they are all about. This is one example of where they have lost their way of excellence. There are a number of things both in iOS7 and also in the desktop OS that make you question who is watching some of the details.

The bar is set high by them and they need to step up to stay there.

 

Nonsense. Only someone who doesn't write software would think that way.  It is mathematically impossible not to have bugs. And as a system gets more capability, it will get more bugs. That's the nature of the beast. All you can hope for minimizing them.

 

There isn't any "lost their way of excellence." The fact that there are so FEW bugs shows that they have a high degree of QA.  No offense, but you're no tech prodigy.

post #14 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You mean the IT teams that rolled out an upgrade without testing it?

It was more the students that updated to iOS7 when it was offered. Apple automatically downloaded the update to those students' iPads. It wasn't that the schools actively chose to update the devices from what I'm reading. I think you've misunderstood exactly what's happened and how it got there as it doesn't appear the schools have much fault in this. Even some long-time users here were surprised by the automatic download to their iDevices claiming it can't happen. FWIW support comments indicate those auto downloads are generally to iPads.

At least one and probably several of the districts caught wind of the problem, reconfiguring their DNS settings to block Apple from auto downloading any further updates to student-issued iPads.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5379636?tstart=0
Edited by Gatorguy - 10/3/13 at 5:53am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #15 of 84
Learn how to deploy upgrades via wifi. Or use a vendor like Airwatch to build your supervisory profiles.

After seeing this article I asked an IT director at my local bank if they experienced the same problem with their iPads - and the answer was a simple "No". They use Airwatch.
post #16 of 84
IT teams can easily block iOS updates even if devices are used off-campus. I'm very surprised they didn't think this was a good idea and a priority prior to launch?

Surely they're providing iPads for a specific function to work with specific apps etc. How did they know that an iOS update wouldn't prevent the required apps working? They didn't, so they should have prevented iOS updates. Do they allow students to upgrade the versions of windows on the school PCs?

They should just use the Global HTTP Proxy option to pass all HTTP requests through an external proxy and therein limit any addresses.

To be honest I'd expect all schools to do something like this anyway to filter out undesirable web destinations?
post #17 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by aderutter View Post

IT teams can easily block iOS updates even if devices are used off-campus. I'm very surprised they didn't think this was a good idea and a priority prior to launch?

Surely they're providing iPads for a specific function to work with specific apps etc. How did they know that an iOS update wouldn't prevent the required apps working? They didn't, so they should have prevented iOS updates. Do they allow students to upgrade the versions of windows on the school PCs?

They should just use the Global HTTP Proxy option to pass all HTTP requests through an external proxy and therein limit any addresses.

To be honest I'd expect all schools to do something like this anyway to filter out undesirable web destinations?

I imagine they will now. Honest question, has Apple always automatically downloaded iOS updates without user intervention? I realize it's up to the user to approve the install but I thought there was mention of a setting to disable over-the-air updates in previous versions? According to the linked Apple support thread there is not now if there ever was one.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #18 of 84
It does seem no one at Apple tested how an upgrade would effect security profiles. Unless the school districts profiles were unique in some strange way, Apple should have caught it.

Then we have the beta testers. What were they doing?

Then, the school districts. Certainly, it would have been an easy task, and in fact should be standard practice, to install upgrades on test devices before upgrading all devices. I even do that for the handful of devices I own. It's routine, and no competent IT person would do otherwise. Says a lot about the quality of school district personnel.
post #19 of 84
This makes for good click bait (and thanks AI now it for sure will be all over the net) but I think we need more information before declaring Apple f'd up. One would assume any companies or schools using iPads for business/educational use would have an IT department testing new software. I know where I work I can't just go download Windows 8 on my machine. It just seems these days everyone is quick to blame Apple and assume Apple screwed up.
post #20 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

This makes for good click bait (and thanks AI now it for sure will be all over the net) but I think we need more information before declaring Apple f'd up. One would assume any companies or schools using iPads for business/educational use would have an IT department testing new software. I know where I work I can't just go download Windows 8 on my machine. It just seems these days everyone is quick to blame Apple and assume Apple screwed up.

If you read the support thread you'll find the schools involved in the discussion didn't choose to update to iOS7 nor download it in the first place. With that said they didn't actively block Apple from sending the update to student-issued iPads either.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5379636?tstart=0
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #21 of 84
Apple's one massive flaw, they are consumer driven in their mentality so they don't thoroughly vet the corporate features. Hey Apple, it's about time you created a true business division like all other tech companies have!
post #22 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If you read the support thread you'll find the schools involved in the discussion didn't choose to update to iOS7 nor download it in the first place. With that said they didn't actively block Apple from sending the update to student-issued iPads either.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5379636?tstart=0

Exactly. The schools gave students a system that had not been properly configured for security and then complained when there was a security problem.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #23 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Emperor View Post
 

 

Nonsense. Only someone who doesn't write software would think that way.  It is mathematically impossible not to have bugs. And as a system gets more capability, it will get more bugs. That's the nature of the beast. All you can hope for minimizing them.

 

There isn't any "lost their way of excellence." The fact that there are so FEW bugs shows that they have a high degree of QA.  No offense, but you're no tech prodigy.

 

Spoken like a true coder that has no clue of reality.  Some of us know both side of the equation.  I never once stated that there should never be bugs.  You created that delusion all on your own.  Fact is there are some fundamental user interface flaws that exist that are in no way like the Apple I have come to know and love.

 

But thanks for responding and including an insult non the less.

post #24 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Exactly.

Apple is at fault here, but so are the school districts. You NEVER implement a major upgrade without testing it in your own system and with your own particular setup.

 

ABSOLUTELY! Putting the blame to Apple (which is deserverd) aside, what IT department just implements a major update like that without testing? Crazy and irresponsible. Someone should lose their job for that.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply
post #25 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If you read the support thread you'll find the schools involved in the discussion didn't choose to update to iOS7 nor download it in the first place. With that said they didn't actively block Apple from sending the update to student-issued iPads either.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5379636?tstart=0
So iOS 7 just magically appeared on these devices? I know my mom just updated to iOS 7 on her iPad but she got a specific message saying an updated was available for install. It didn't install on her device without her knowing. I still haven't updated my 3rd gen iPad and have no plans to do so.

There were rumors of a point release coming out next week. Hopefully that will include a fix for this issue. Last thing Apple needs is an issue that Microsoft can easily exploit.
post #26 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

Spoken like a true coder that has no clue of reality.  Some of us know both side of the equation.  I never once stated that there should never be bugs.  You created that delusion all on your own.  Fact is there are some fundamental user interface flaws that exist that are in no way like the Apple I have come to know and love.

But thanks for responding and including an insult non the less.

Are "user interface flaws" really bugs? I think there are some design aspects of iOS 7 that feel unfinished but I don't know that I'd call them bugs. I have installed on my phone and haven't had one issue yet.
post #27 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post

ABSOLUTELY! Putting the blame to Apple (which is deserverd) aside, what IT department just implements a major update like that without testing? Crazy and irresponsible. Someone should lose their job for that.

1rolleyes.gif They didn't implement it without testing. They didn't choose to implement it at all according to support threads. I think some are misunderstanding how the update got there.

According to posts the OS push-update bypassed all the other controls that school IT departments put in place to keep students from modifying their devices, something that at least some of those schools didn't anticipate tho perhaps they should have. Dunno. Even the well-regarded Kilted Tim on Apple support forums said "There is no more possibility that the download happened by itself than there is that the Earth is flat and only 6000 years old." . He changed his mind rather than re-mapping the Earth of course when he found his own company's iPads downloading iOS all on their own.

@ Rogifan: Students saw and approved the update on their school-issued iPads. It wasn't the IT departments that approved it and rolled it out.
Edited by Gatorguy - 10/3/13 at 6:17am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #28 of 84

This appears to be a known issue because out IT team that handles iPhones security sent an email about the need to update the security profiles prior to iOS7 installation.  I am not aware of everything that went on or why but they knew it would need to be done.

post #29 of 84

Oh my god the children we must protect the children from evil web content. Yeah if you want someone attention on something calling in the children.

 

Really did apple screw up here or did the company who provide the nanny product that schools are obviously loading on ipad is at fault, Apple does not verify if 3rd party apps continue to work, thus the reason they allow you to beta test the product before it is release. Someone else already said it the schools screwed up why would they whole sale update to the new iOS until you know it does not cause a problem. Especially if you are worried about protecting the children.

 

Hell I told my family not to update yet and we have not since I know enough that these updates always break stuff and Apple said that not all the apps have been update to support ios. I beginning to see app I use being listed as fix for iOS so it broke things why deal with the hassle. Not like in the past where you can downgrade if the problems are too unmanageable.

post #30 of 84

Just an observation: 4 of the people in this thread posting that the sky is falling because Apple QC has really dropped off each have a couple dozen posts.  One almost think there is a coordinated effort to spread FUD about Apple for popular forums.  Then media outlets can say that there is widespread dissatisfaction and cause for alarm.  I wonder who would have an incentive to do something like that.

post #31 of 84
1. You set a rule that the students not upgrade until the school says it's okay because it might break apps they need for class and if they break this rule they can't use it as an excuse and will fail every days works until the issue is fixed even if it means they fail the term. No appeals on this

2. You spot check devices at least once a week to insure compliance with this, with not deleting profiles (ie LAUSD) etc

3. If the schools told the students to do the upgrade it's on them

4. This issue might also happen if they were using outside MDM that hadn't tested yet. And doesn't block OTA updates. Or at least require a password the kids don't have.

5 how do we know the kids weren't restoring on a computer to try to remove the profiles on purpose if they do block Internet etc. This could be another LAUSD trick. They try to remove the profiles only to discover theirs ARE passworded so they DFU etc. Might have little to do with iOS 7 at least at some schools

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #32 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

Still better than Android or Windows, but it's been a while since Apple's "it just works" mentality.

Total misquote. Apple has never said that their stuff is without issue, particularly for all users or use cases

"It just works" was a statement made in response to the complicated install etc process of windows computers at the time of the comment. Unlike Apple where you turn it in and it's ready to go -- it just works

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #33 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

I love Apple and what they are all about. This is one example of where they have lost their way of excellence. There are a number of things both in iOS7 and also in the desktop OS that make you question who is watching some of the details.

The bar is set high by them and they need to step up to stay there.

I might agree with your example if Apple was an education tech or business tech company. As their primary focus.

But they are not. They aren't even a creative pro focused company anymore. They are a general use company with a couple of small side products. Education and MDM are infants in their world, particularly in terms of hard core restrictions, etc. There are other companies that have been doing this kind of thing longer even in iOS that have also screwed up (it is an outside company that LAUSD is using! which doesn't passcode their profiles so the kiddies can remove them in under five seconds)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #34 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It was more the students that updated to iOS7 when it was offered. Apple automatically downloaded the update to those students' iPads.

Or it didn't. More often than not a finger hits a button rather than an auto download

And a smart IT would have thought of iOS updates causing an issue with needed apps if nothing else and asked apple for the server address to bar it the same as Facebook etc. Sure that won't stop some kid from doing a DFU on his home computer so he can update to the new version of minecraft etc. But it would slow things down

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #35 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

Just an observation: 4 of the people in this thread posting that the sky is falling because Apple QC has really dropped off each have a couple dozen posts.  One almost think there is a coordinated effort to spread FUD about Apple for popular forums.  Then media outlets can say that there is widespread dissatisfaction and cause for alarm.  I wonder who would have an incentive to do something like that.

That's fairly standard in forums like this. There is a lot of Apple bashing that appears to be orchestrated by their competition. There's even more that's orchestrated by media that benefits from putting Apple down.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #36 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eideard View Post

Learn how to deploy upgrades via wifi. Or use a vendor like Airwatch to build your supervisory profiles.

After seeing this article I asked an IT director at my local bank if they experienced the same problem with their iPads - and the answer was a simple "No". They use Airwatch.

That's the company LAUSD allegedly uses. With the easy to remove profiles.

Guess the folks at your bank are either dumber and never thought it could be that simple, or more mature

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #37 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post

ABSOLUTELY! Putting the blame to Apple (which is deserverd) aside, what IT department just implements a major update like that without testing? Crazy and irresponsible. Someone should lose their job for that.

The fact that iOS 7 was in preview all summer (when the kiddies likely didn't have the iPads) doesn't help.

$99 a year for access to those previews is a small price to pay for early testing. Or doing things like asking for that server address etc

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #38 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Exactly.

Apple is at fault here, but so are the school districts. You NEVER implement a major upgrade without testing it in your own system and with your own particular setup.

 

Best post! 

post #39 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Or it didn't. More often than not a finger hits a button rather than an auto download

Users have no control over the auto download. It seems some number of iOS users didn't realize that, catching them by surprise.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5403258
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5387196
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #40 of 84
I've yet to find a compelling reason to upgrade iOS 7, especially as the bug reports keep rolling out. The software is two weeks old and we're already up to three bug fix updates?

I'm curious why software updates weren't disabled in the iPads. Any updates to such devices should be controlled, I would think. Arrange to do them over the Summer, when presumably the kids don't get to keep them. Why do kids in school need the latest cutting edge updates? My textbooks in the 80s were published in the 50s. I think kids can do with last years software.

I mean what happens when the iPads no longer support the current updates or apps in three years? Is LAUSD really going to buy brand new iPads for the entire district to get the latest software? Doubtful.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Schools report Apple's iOS 7 breaks iPad supervision profiles