or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Netflix updated for iOS 7 with HD streaming, AirPlay support
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Netflix updated for iOS 7 with HD streaming, AirPlay support

post #1 of 53
Thread Starter 
Netflix on Thursday updated its official application for Apple's iOS, adding high-definition content and AirPlay streaming support for iOS 7 users.

Netflix


Netflix version 5.0 is now available for download on the iOS App Store. The latest version also includes playback optimizations and stability improvements.

The update represents something of a change of strategy for Netflix, as officials for the subscription service said in 2011 that they had no plans to support AirPlay. At the time, the company suggested that users simply use its dedicated application found on the Apple TV.

But now users will be able to beam content from their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to a connected Apple TV without needing to navigate the application on the set-top box.

The new "Super HD" support in Netflix 5.0 for iOS also comes just a week after the company's high-definition support landed on Apple TV. Super HD is most useful for 1080p displays that can take advantage of higher bit-rate streams.
post #2 of 53

Airplay and a QAM tuner will get you far in the US television market...
 

I have seen the future, and it's my mac mini server. I love that little guy...
Reply
I have seen the future, and it's my mac mini server. I love that little guy...
Reply
post #3 of 53
I don't get it...what is the difference? Can't I just use the built in app for netflix on the apple tv box?
post #4 of 53
It's about the navigation...much better from an iDevice as opposed to the Apple TV remote.
post #5 of 53

Nice update, too bad it still has the "Cannot play movie" error on my iPads and is utterly worthless.

post #6 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

It's about the navigation...much better from an iDevice as opposed to the Apple TV remote.

 

Alternately you could just use your iDevice as the remote. Oh well, for those that actually want air play to their Apple TV they now have it.

 

Still seems a bit of a pointless feature.

iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #7 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

...Still seems a bit of a pointless feature.

However if I'm visiting a friend's house then it's instantly easy to introduce the crowd to. "House of Cards" or "Borgia"
post #8 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

It's about the navigation...much better from an iDevice as opposed to the Apple TV remote.

 

Yeah, except that the picture/sound quality isn't as good since the Netflix stream has to go through an additional compression/decompression via AirPlay to the Apple TV. It's really a rather wasteful use of resources since the iDevice is now receiving, decoding, compressing, and transmitting the stream to Apple TV which then decodes and displays the AirPlay stream of the Netflix stream. It's better to "eliminate the middle man" and just stream directly on the Apple TV. The blind and the deaf may not notice the difference, however.

post #9 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

I don't get it...what is the difference? Can't I just use the built in app for netflix on the apple tv box?

 

Yes, but thats your apple tv with your netflix account.   I would not recommend airplay in that case if it has to go through the phone.

 

For someone with an apple tv but no netflix account guests can now stream a show or movie.  This has frustrated me over the holidays a few times and I'm glad to see it.

 

Now, why  'the CW', and all the other little 'channel' apps don't follow suit is just frustrating.

Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
Reply
Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
Reply
post #10 of 53

This will be great for traveling.  Now I won't have to pay for crappy hotel wifi just to watch Netflix movies. 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The update represents something of a change of strategy for Netflix, as officials for the subscription service said in 2011 that they had no plans to support AirPlay. At the time, the company suggested that users simply use its dedicated application found on the Apple TV.

But now users will be able to beam content from their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to a connected Apple TV without needing to navigate the application on the set-top box.

 

I think what drove Netflix to change their stance was that the Instant Video app for Amazon Prime recently got AirPlay functionality (though, in that case, the video quality is fairly suspect).

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #11 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

I don't get it...what is the difference? Can't I just use the built in app for netflix on the apple tv box?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post
 

Still seems a bit of a pointless feature.

 

Jeez, guys, is it possible that people use the ATV in more ways than to just plug into their home TV and connecting to their home wireless internet?  It's a remarkably portable device.  Just because you don't take advantage of that fact doesn't mean nobody else does.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #12 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
 

 

Yes, but thats your apple tv with your netflix account.   I would not recommend airplay in that case if it has to go through the phone.

 

For someone with an apple tv but no netflix account guests can now stream a show or movie.  This has frustrated me over the holidays a few times and I'm glad to see it.

 

Now, why  'the CW', and all the other little 'channel' apps don't follow suit is just frustrating.

 

Yea but realistically, how many people are there that posses the knowledge of what an ATV is and go buy one WITHOUT the intention of using it with Netflix??? I'm not saying there aren't some cases....but enough to update the app?

post #13 of 53

The real issue here for me is that it doesn't appear they they've added the ability for it to be able to run in the background. Since you can only use Airplay with an ATV, which already has built-in support, why would you want to tie up your mobile device streaming content to the ATV when you don't have to??? That's counterproductive....

post #14 of 53
Slightly off topic but about Netflix on Apple TV…. It puzzles me why, when watching a series, the iPad or on a Mac via the Safari interface, they will start playing the next episode automatically after a few seconds. However, the app on the Apple TV does not. The episode just ends. You have to manually navigate to the menu list of episodes and select the next one. Is this something others see or just my two Apple TVs with this weird anomaly?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #15 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Slightly off topic but about Netflix on Apple TV…. It puzzles me why, when watching a series, the iPad or on a Mac via the Safari interface, they will start playing the next episode automatically after a few seconds. However, the app on the Apple TV does not. The episode just ends. You have to manually navigate to the menu list of episodes and select the next one. Is this something others see or just my two Apple TVs with this weird anomaly?

 

This is also true when streaming Netflix with ROKU. It must be a feature of the Netflix App. The other nice thing about the app is that it has close captioning. Does the Apple TV have that feature? Because the ROKU does not, at least the first generation box that I have doesn't.
21.5" iMac i7 2012, iPod Touch 5, iPad 2, iPod nano 7, Mac Mini G4 2000
Reply
21.5" iMac i7 2012, iPod Touch 5, iPad 2, iPod nano 7, Mac Mini G4 2000
Reply
post #16 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post
 

 

Yea but realistically, how many people are there that posses the knowledge of what an ATV is and go buy one WITHOUT the intention of using it with Netflix??? I'm not saying there aren't some cases....but enough to update the app?

 

Well, my parents.  That's two.  Remember there are Hulu users and Netflix users.  Folks usually don't do both due to the overlap.  Then there are the itunes only folks.

Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
Reply
Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
Reply
post #17 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbiter8 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Slightly off topic but about Netflix on Apple TV…. It puzzles me why, when watching a series, the iPad or on a Mac via the Safari interface, they will start playing the next episode automatically after a few seconds. However, the app on the Apple TV does not. The episode just ends. You have to manually navigate to the menu list of episodes and select the next one. Is this something others see or just my two Apple TVs with this weird anomaly?

 

This is also true when streaming Netflix with ROKU. It must be a feature of the Netflix App. The other nice thing about the app is that it has close captioning. Does the Apple TV have that feature? Because the ROKU does not, at least the first generation box that I have doesn't.

There is a toggle CC on off I believe in the Apple TV for anything on it not just Netflix … damned if I remember how now. Some one will post how in minutes I'm sure. I'm not near it now but check the Settings and look in something to do with handicapped type use maybe?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #18 of 53
I must have missed something.

The Netflix app already supported Airplay.
You just had to enable AIrplay mirroring, which requires an iPhone 4S, iPad 2 or later, and is not easy to discover.
You then had a Netflix logo over a red background on the TV when navigating, and on the TV when watching a video.
And yes, widescreen videos appeared full screen on the TV.


So, there is no new feature per se, but the new way Airplay works with Netflix is just a lot easier to discover, with a big Airplay button at the bottom right of the screen !

For once, I wish AppleInsider corrects the misleading title of this article.
post #19 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromec View Post

I must have missed something.

The Netflix app already supported Airplay.
You just had to enable AIrplay mirroring, which requires an iPhone 4S, iPad 2 or later, and is not easy to discover.
You then had a Netflix logo over a red background on the TV when navigating, and on the TV when watching a video.
And yes, widescreen videos appeared full screen on the TV.


So, there is no new feature per se, but the new way Airplay works with Netflix is just a lot easier to discover, with a big Airplay button at the bottom right of the screen !

For once, I wish AppleInsider corrects the misleading title of this article.

I get your point. Mirroring isn't required now though maybe there is a slight quality difference with a dedicated airplay stream? Anyone here know if there is a technical difference between watching something using mirroring and using the airplay button within an app?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #20 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbiter8 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Slightly off topic but about Netflix on Apple TV…. It puzzles me why, when watching a series, the iPad or on a Mac via the Safari interface, they will start playing the next episode automatically after a few seconds. However, the app on the Apple TV does not. The episode just ends. You have to manually navigate to the menu list of episodes and select the next one. Is this something others see or just my two Apple TVs with this weird anomaly?

 

This is also true when streaming Netflix with ROKU. It must be a feature of the Netflix App. The other nice thing about the app is that it has close captioning. Does the Apple TV have that feature? Because the ROKU does not, at least the first generation box that I have doesn't.

Re the App being better … but … but … the Apple TV Netflix is an app! Apple TV runs iOS so why the huge difference? I would love the exact same app on the ATV as on the iPad ...
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #21 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

The real issue here for me is that it doesn't appear they they've added the ability for it to be able to run in the background. Since you can only use Airplay with an ATV, which already has built-in support, why would you want to tie up your mobile device streaming content to the ATV when you don't have to??? That's counterproductive....

I suppose nobody here is aware that the ATV isn't the only device you can AirPlay to. Yamaha A/V receivers accept Airplay as do Denon. Now there is no need to even own an ATV or turn it on if you do. 1biggrin.gif
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
 
And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
Reply
post #22 of 53

What do you mean why?

 

Maybe because when watching Netflix on your iPad, and you decide to switch to TV, its one-click, vs. turning that off, picking up AppleTV remote, navigating to Netflix, then to same content, then resuming playback...

 

Of course you're all missing the obvious solution which was just rolled out with the latest Apple TV update.

 

For iTunes Store content, if you're watching it on your iPad and choose to "AirPlay" to AppleTV, AppleTV can optionally start streaming that content from iTunes instead of actually "Airplaying"

 

Apple should have helped Netflix and Hulu get that built in as well.

post #23 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

I don't get it...what is the difference? Can't I just use the built in app for netflix on the apple tv box?

What if you want to Airplay something on Netflix to the ATV of someone that doesn't subscribe to their service? Now you can.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #24 of 53

One scenario of using Airplay is when you watch Netflix on ipad/iphone and stream the sound  to your Airplay-enabled receiver (such as Denon).

In this example, you may not have a TV in your bedroom, but you have a sound system attached to Airplay-enabled Denon receiver. So you use iPad to watch a movie in your bed, with the movie audio coming out of your bedroom speakers.

 

The downside of playing Netflix from your iDevice through Airplay (compared with playing a built-in Netflix app on ATV or newer TVs/boxes, etc)  - it doesn't support 5.1 audio, only stereo sound (I think).


Edited by itisole - 10/3/13 at 8:05am
post #25 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbiter8 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Slightly off topic but about Netflix on Apple TV…. It puzzles me why, when watching a series, the iPad or on a Mac via the Safari interface, they will start playing the next episode automatically after a few seconds. However, the app on the Apple TV does not. The episode just ends. You have to manually navigate to the menu list of episodes and select the next one. Is this something others see or just my two Apple TVs with this weird anomaly?

 

This is also true when streaming Netflix with ROKU. It must be a feature of the Netflix App. The other nice thing about the app is that it has close captioning. Does the Apple TV have that feature? Because the ROKU does not, at least the first generation box that I have doesn't.

Yes, Netflix has CC on Roku. Maybe it's time you upgraded to a new one, they just redesigned all the models.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #26 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What if you want to Airplay something on Netflix to the ATV of someone that doesn't subscribe to their service? Now you can.

Exactly, obviously this is all because Apple added the ability to use another ATV that wasn't yours and Netflix just added a quicker way to do this within their app avoiding the need to mirror. It's slicker and faster.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #27 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yes, Netflix has CC on Roku. Maybe it's time you upgraded to a new one, they just redesigned all the models.

Apple TV has CC built in, it's optional. No need to use anything else. Throw the Roku out and but an Apple TV 1smile.gif
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #28 of 53
Airplay is a brilliant answer to Google's Chromecast. Period. I'm pretty sure that is all this is about.
post #29 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Apple TV has CC built in, it's optional. No need to use anything else. Throw the Roku out and but an Apple TV 1smile.gif

Kinda late now, I found them deeply discounted and purchased several, but the Apple TV is becoming more and more attractive.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #30 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Airplay is a brilliant answer to Google's Chromecast. Period. I'm pretty sure that is all this is about.

Forgot the Airplay existed first? Now the enhanced Airplay does incorporate functionality that's Chromecast like.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #31 of 53

Chromecast pulls video directly from Netflix servers into your TV's HDMI port.

Airplay works differently. First you pull video from Netflix server to your iDevice's Netflix app, then iDevice converts it to Airplay streaming format, transmits it to your ATV, then ATV decodes AirPlay formatted stream , then outputs the signal into your TV's HDMI port.

And I'm not even sure if Netflix App's AirPlay implementation supports 5.1 audio.

post #32 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by itisole View Post

Chromecast pulls video directly from Netflix servers into your TV's HDMI port.
Airplay works differently. First you pull video from Netflix server to your iDevice's Netflix app, then iDevice converts it to Airplay streaming format, transmits it to your ATV, then ATV decodes AirPlay formatted stream , then outputs the signal into your TV's HDMI port.
And I'm not even sure if Netflix App's AirPlay implementation supports 5.1 audio.

Then I guess you didn't read this.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/159475/overhauled-apple-tv-software-with-enhanced-airplay-coming-sept-18
Quote:
media will reportedly be streamed directly from the cloud, rather than requiring a local device.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #33 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Forgot the Airplay existed first? Now the enhanced Airplay does incorporate functionality that's Chromecast like.

Missed my point. Yes Airplay existed first. My point was now you don't have to mirror.

No troll here, but nice try. Pleased with my Apple TV and buying 3 more as soon as Aereo arrives and I cut my cable.
post #34 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by itisole View Post
 

Chromecast pulls video directly from Netflix servers into your TV's HDMI port.

Airplay works differently. First you pull video from Netflix server to your iDevice's Netflix app, then iDevice converts it to Airplay streaming format, transmits it to your ATV, then ATV decodes AirPlay formatted stream , then outputs the signal into your TV's HDMI port.

And I'm not even sure if Netflix App's AirPlay implementation supports 5.1 audio.

 

 

Quote:

 

Oh, I've read that article. Carefully. It just says that the enhancement will allow AirPlay to control ATV to "stream purchased content from the iTunes Store" (such as iTunes video) directly from the iCloud. Obviously, iCloud doesn't have Netflix videos... The article doesn't say anything about third party content.


Edited by itisole - 10/3/13 at 8:41am
post #35 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by itisole View Post



Oh, I've read that article. Carefully. It just says that the enhancement will allow AirPlay to control ATV to "stream purchased content from the iTunes Store" (such as iTunes video) directly from the iCloud. Obviously, iCloud doesn't have Netflix videos... The article doesn't say anything about third party content.

It reads 'cloud' not 'iCloud', big difference.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #36 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
 

 

 

Jeez, guys, is it possible that people use the ATV in more ways than to just plug into their home TV and connecting to their home wireless internet?  It's a remarkably portable device.  Just because you don't take advantage of that fact doesn't mean nobody else does.

 

Jeez, I was just asking a question.  Not everyone is as smart as you.  

post #37 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

Jeez, I was just asking a question.  Not everyone is as smart as you.  

There were more constructive answers to your question including one I posted. You should've just ignored the OP's reply.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #38 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


It reads 'cloud' not 'iCloud', big difference.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisole View Post
 

 

 

 

Oh, I've read that article. Carefully. It just says that the enhancement will allow AirPlay to control ATV to "stream purchased content from the iTunes Store" (such as iTunes video) directly from the iCloud. Obviously, iCloud doesn't have Netflix videos... The article doesn't say anything about third party content.

 

So you noticed iCloud/cloud difference in my quoting. Okay. But why are you ignoring the direct quote "stream purchased content from the iTunes Store" ? It doesn't fit your previous statements ? The article only mentions direct streaming iTunes-puchased content, nothing about direct streaming third-party content such as Netflix.

post #39 of 53
<redundant>
post #40 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by itisole View Post

So you noticed iCloud/cloud difference in my quoting. Okay. But why are you ignoring the direct quote "stream purchased content from the iTunes Store" ? It doesn't fit your previous statements ? The article only mentions direct streaming iTunes-puchased content, nothing about direct streaming third-party content such as Netflix.

Yes I did miss that, you're correct it is iTunes only content according to the article.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Netflix updated for iOS 7 with HD streaming, AirPlay support