or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Official Google Music app for Apple's iOS to launch this month - report

Official Google Music app for Apple's iOS to launch this month - report

post #1 of 46
On the heels of Apple's iTunes Radio release, Google plans to launch a native iOS application for its Google Play Music All Access service on the App Store, according to a new report.

Play

When Google's Spotify competitor ? which gives users access to a wide catalog of streaming music for a $9.99 per month subscription fee ??launched in May with desktop web access and an official Android application, iOS users were left only with the choice of a small mobile web app or unsupported, third-party native apps. That is set to change as Google is readying an official iOS app for the service, according to Engadget.

Previously, Google cited DRM concerns as their primary reason for delaying an iOS launch, saying that Flash support was required on the device. The search giant has reportedly jumped that technical hurdle and the iOS app is in employees' hands for testing, with a public unveiling coming later this month after the company can squash a few lingering bugs.

When the service was first announced in May, Google said its Play Music All Access would arrive on iOS in the coming weeks. Since then, the company has remained silent on when the official application may launch.

The report comes as Rdio, another competitor in the suddenly hotly contested streaming music space, on Thursday announced the launch of its own free internet radio service for iOS and Android. Apple's iTunes Radio has turned up the heat on the competition, attracting more than 11 million listeners in its first week of availability and prompting brands like Nissan and McDonald's to pay up to $10 million to advertise on the service.
post #2 of 46

Oh good, another Google app that's not coming near my devices.

post #3 of 46
Ah, an ad channel! With a bit of music in between; can't wait ¡

Do hope royalties will be paid, this time.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
post #4 of 46
.. but will probably make it onto millions of other iDevices. The members of AI are more of an outlier as Google has several apps among the most downloaded from iTunes.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #5 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

There's no ads on Google's All-Access Music. It's not an ad-supported music service like Apple's iRadio.
post #6 of 46

Maybe they are not there now, but they will come sooner or later and in huge numbers, just like every google product ever made.

post #7 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusephe View Post

Maybe they are not there now, but they will come sooner or later and in huge numbers, just like every google product ever made.

As long as it remains a subscription service I doubt it will ever deliver ads. Quite an odd turn really with Google not targeting ads but Apple does for their streaming music app.
post #8 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

There's no ads on Google's All-Access Music. It's not an ad-supported music service like Apple's iRadio.

Then what is the point of it? Google is an ad company, unless it is just to gain access to the data on your device.

post #9 of 46
Quote:

As long as it remains a subscription service I doubt it will ever deliver ads. Quite an odd turn really with Google not targeting ads but Apple does for their streaming music app.

iTunes Radio only has ads if you don't subscribe to iTunes Match which is only $24.99 per year vs Google Music being $9.99 a month.

Quote:
With iTunes Match, all your music can be stored in iCloud — even songs you’ve imported from CDs. You can access your music from all your devices and listen to your entire library wherever you are. And you'll also be able to listen to iTunes Radio without ads.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/

post #10 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

Then what is the point of it? Google is an ad company, unless it is just to gain access to the data on your device.

To make money, it is a paid service.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #11 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

iTunes Radio only has ads if you don't subscribe to iTunes Match which is only $24.99 per year vs Google Music being $9.99 a month.
Quote:

Apple on has ads if you don't subscribe to iTunes Match which is only $24.99 per year vs Google Music being $9.99 a month.

Correct, but they're two entirely different services. You can specify a particular song, artist, album etc on Google All-Access and even add any songs you like to your personal library at no additional charge. You can't do any of those with iRadio AFAIK. I particularly like having a channel available with only music I've given a thumbs up.
post #12 of 46

My son & daughter have been using (sharing one subscription) this service for about 3 months now. They both like it very much. Personally I think the station feature on Pandora picks better similar choices than play music app does. My kids don't use the radio feature much as they have specific artists they listen to. I'm more of a casual listener.

post #13 of 46
Quote:

Correct, but they're two entirely different services. You can specify a particular song, artist, album etc on Google All-Access and even add any songs you like to your personal library at no additional charge. You can't do any of those with iRadio AFAIK. I particularly like having a channel available with only music I've given a thumbs up.

My point is that iTunes Radio only has ads if you don't pay for iTunes Match. With iTunes Match you get to store your songs on iCloud to be streamed to any device and you get ad-free iTunes Radio. So they are not really "entirely different services" plus iTunes Match only costs 20% of what Google All-Access does for a year.

post #14 of 46
Quote:

iTunes radio is more akin to traditional 'radio'. You can 'tune' it but it is not a music on demand service. You can't build play-lists etc. I think it is designed more as a music discovery service which ties into the iTunes store for purchasing music you discover. It suits the casual listener better, me thinks. Streaming services like Spotify and Pandora takes more work. They may be better for many people who like more control. My kids use iTunes radio but my youngest is pissed off that she can't skip and control everything. She rarely listens to a song all the way (!) For here a 9 bucks a month service would probably be much better

post #15 of 46
Quote:

My point is that iTunes Radio only has ads if you don't pay for iTunes Match. With iTunes Match you get to store your songs on iCloud to be streamed to any device and you get ad-free iTunes Radio. So they are not really "entirely different services" plus iTunes Match only costs 20% of what Google All-Access does for a year.

If you purchase a half dozen songs a month or more via iRadio you'll probably save money with Google All-Access, and stream from the cloud to all your devices just like iTunes.
post #16 of 46
Quote:

I think that is why AI compares it to Spotify where iTunes Radio is more like Pandora. They have similar services, but branch out from there. I have Spotify now. Will likely keep it. I've, so far, kept google away from my CC number (not Amazon or apple, obviously)
post #17 of 46

Already have iTunes Match, thank you very much, works better and from a company which has proven it is trustworthy.... unlike google which violates customers rights with impunity, and doesn't respect privacy.

post #18 of 46
Quote:

If you purchase a half dozen songs a month or more via iRadio you'll probably save money with Google All-Access, and stream from the cloud to all your devices just like iTunes.

Yes, and if you buy a half dozen songs through Google Music a month you'll be paying more than someone else with iTunes Match and buying the same amount of songs. Let's compare apples to apples, not some contrived situation to make one service seem cheaper than the other. Now Google All-Access being able to allow you to create custom playlists of songs to stream that you don't own is an additional benefit that neither iTunes Match or iTunes Radio does provide, but that still does not make them "drastically different".

post #19 of 46
Ban it. Google is evil.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #20 of 46
Quote:

Yes, and if you buy a half dozen songs through Google Music a month you'll be paying more than someone else with iTunes Match and buying the same amount of songs.

You don't have to buy to have them available in your cloud library for streaming. As for how similar they are, other than both play music they sure seem pretty darn different to me.

1. One is free but ad-supported. The other is by subscription and no ads.
2. One of the services lets you specify particular songs, artists etc even tho you don't have to. The other does not.
3.One lets you add songs to your personal library for streaming to any other devices you own. The other requires that you buy them if you don't already own them.
4. One is cross-platform. The other is only available to iDevices.
5. One may cost $120 a year for "all you can consume" music. The other can be free with ads or $25 without.

I would guess that iRadio is good enough for a great number of Apple users and certainly sounds well thought out. No need to spend money for something you wouldn't use anyway. For others the added functionality and value of Google All-Access will be worthwhile. It doesn't mean one is "better" than the other. They're just different and choices are good.
Edited by Gatorguy - 10/3/13 at 11:22am
post #21 of 46
Quote:

Yes, and if you buy a half dozen songs through Google Music a month you'll be paying more than someone else with iTunes Match and buying the same amount of songs. Let's compare apples to apples, not some contrived situation to make one service seem cheaper than the other. Now Google All-Access being able to allow you to create custom playlists of songs to stream that you don't own is an additional benefit that neither iTunes Match or iTunes Radio does provide, but that still does not make them "drastically different".

It depends on how much you 'work' your music. The ability to treat your subscribed to library as your own is drastically different for some people. Or put it this way, the inability to manipulate the entire iTunes library granularly like your own iTunes library is a deal breaker to some folks. Not to me, personally, but to many. I would describe the services as fundamentally different.

- as the Gator Dude just said... ;)  - I'd just add ...'to some people', to his last sentence. (Cuz it can also be a pain in the but)

post #22 of 46
Quote:

Quote:

No ads? So Google isn't even being true to themselves? Weird. What, exactly, is it actually that Google wants? To be in every single market that uses some form of digital storage, anything IT related? Or are they trying to do another Microsoftonian, by eliminating the competition and become #1 in whatever they do?
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #23 of 46
Quote:

No ads? So Google isn't even being true to themselves? Weird. What, exactly, is it actually that Google wants? To be in every single market that uses some form of digital storage, anything IT related? Or are they trying to do another Microsoftonian, by eliminating the competition and become #1 in whatever they do?

They've been in this market for a while already, they're just going cross platform. They have a pretty impressive list of international availability.

Music

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States

Music All Access

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States

post #24 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

.... unlike google which violates customers rights with impunity, and doesn't respect privacy.

Or copyrights, like photos from Life Magazine, books, French news agency AFP et cetera
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #25 of 46
Quote:

By the same token what is Apple wanting to accomplish? For the first time (?) they've abandoned their traditional pay-for-services and embraced Google's typical ad targeting/data mining approach. Is it a harbinger of more to come, with Apple doing more to monetize their users? That's what I think will happen.
post #26 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

They've been in this market for a while already, they're just going cross platform. They have a pretty impressive list of international availability.

Wow, didn't know that. They seem very persistent. I must admit, I fail to see the reasons for all this, but whatever.
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #27 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

My kids use iTunes radio but my youngest is pissed off that she can't skip and control everything. She rarely listens to a song all the way (!) For here a 9 bucks a month service would probably be much better

Hmmm...I'm able to skip songs.  But yes, pause and skip is pretty much the only form of control with iTunes Radio

post #28 of 46
Quote:

Quote:

By the same token what is Apple wanting to accomplish? For the first time (?) they've abandoned their traditional pay-for-services and embraced Google's typical ad targeting/data mining approach. Is it a harbinger of more to come, with Apple doing more to monetize their users? That's what I think will happen.

Apple is a hardware company and they create software and services to make their products more valuable. Seems to be working out great for them, with very high satisfaction rates for their products.
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #29 of 46
Quote:

Can you expand on the data mining within iTunes radio? I'm assuming the only thing iTunes radio is tracking is my music selections so it can build better custom radio stations.
post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Can you expand on the data mining within iTunes radio? I'm assuming the only thing iTunes radio is tracking is my music selections so it can build better custom radio stations.

I would imagine that ads delivered to any user are only useful if they can be targeted (tailored to users habits/likes) which usually requires some data mining. 

Did anyone watch Person of Interest Episode 2 this week. The CEO of a data mining company gave the president of a potential investing company, a present of a baby rattle, even though the president had not announced his wife was pregnant. The CEO based it on the presidents decrease in alcohol consumption over last 2 months and increase in purchase of yoghurt/dairy products, all which was learned from data mining the guys "vons card" usage.

post #31 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

Hmmm...I'm able to skip songs.  But yes, pause and skip is pretty much the only form of control with iTunes Radio

Limited skipping. No good for an 11 yo. :/

post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

I would argue that many of The Google's services/offerings are intended to disrupt and to ensure majority control (i.e. acquire data &  mindshare) of the worlds computing/mobile experience.  Note that I said "many" not all.  The Google, thru betas and half-baked services, is truly good enough...good enough to hold your attention and compete with all other services.  It is not The Google's intention to give you the best possible experience, instead, its to perpetuate ad revenue.  It ALL comes down to ad revenue.

post #33 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

I would argue that many of The Google's services/offerings are intended to disrupt and to ensure majority control (i.e. acquire data &  mindshare) of the worlds computing/mobile experience.  Note that I said "many" not all.  The Google, thru betas and half-baked services, is truly good enough...good enough to hold your attention and compete with all other services.  It is not The Google's intention to give you the best possible experience, instead, its to perpetuate ad revenue.  It ALL comes down to ad revenue.

True. While they may not be delivering ads in its music app, the data gathered by the app could be used to feed ad recommendation engines that deliver ads via other paths, like while browsing the web.

post #34 of 46

I'm amazed no one has mentioned this, but Google Music does not have to cost money.  They give you FREE cloud space for up to ~20,000 songs that you can stream to the web, or the google music client.  I've been using google music for 6 months or so now, and absolutely love it.  I have my 1000 or CDs that I owned uploaded, and it works pretty flawlessly.  It's a far better deal to me than paying apple $29.99 or whatever for a year to hold only a few gigs of my music. 

Phil

post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by philgar View Post

I'm amazed no one has mentioned this, but Google Music does not have to cost money.  They give you FREE cloud space for up to ~20,000 songs that you can stream to the web, or the google music client.  I've been using google music for 6 months or so now, and absolutely love it.  I have my 1000 or CDs that I owned uploaded, and it works pretty flawlessly.  It's a far better deal to me than paying apple $29.99 or whatever for a year to hold only a few gigs of my music. 

Phil

For the record - iTunes Match has a 25,000 song (not including what you purchased from iTunes) limit. So not "a few gigs" - plus you get 256kbps AAC files.
post #36 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Not to mention this.

post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Not to mention this.

Which does not mean data isn't being collected by APPLE. It just means 3rd party advertisers shouldn't be allowed to use your Advertising Identifier, which would probably mean no personalized ads.
Edited by Gatorguy - 10/3/13 at 12:33pm
post #38 of 46
Personally I will stick with Spotify. I like the ability to play specific songs, which Apple doesn't allow. Google does allow this but I'm already across all my devices with Spotify.

$120 per year for all the music i could ever want, offline or on.
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Limited skipping. No good for an 11 yo. :/

I thought you could skip all you want if you subscribe to iTunes Match.  I skip on itunes radio alot and it always works---confirmed, i just switched stations multiple times and skipped half a dozen on every one-

So i think iTunes match for $25 a year is a great deal 

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

post #40 of 46
Quote:

Just like apples, yet apples is cheaper, but has a free version,

If google makes free version it will be added!

Quote:

google has a better deal on that free, yet you can always look it up again on apple I guess.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Official Google Music app for Apple's iOS to launch this month - report