or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung issues second, unsubstantiated denial of Galaxy S4, Note 3 benchmark cheating
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung issues second, unsubstantiated denial of Galaxy S4, Note 3 benchmark cheating - Page 2

post #41 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

Did Enron stop you from believing in American products?

Or Bear Sterns?

Or Goldman Sacs?

None of those made products that I consume (i.e. phoney financial instruments.)

At least intentionally.

 

But yes, those companies did cast a shadow on American 'Capitalism'. Particularly the act of shuffling money from one pile to another, taking a cut, and calling it 'investment'.

post #42 of 59

Let's start calling this benchmark-gate.

post #43 of 59
Take benchmarks with a grain of salt. Go to a telco store and try the phones yourself. The last time I did this I crash the Galaxy Tab an S3 and a BB10. My son and I did this while they pull a 4S from inventory. He already knew he only wanted an iPhone but this further confirmed what he already knew - that in everyday use other devices don't compare to an iOS device. Hopefully, I have done my job as a parent and he will only buy Apple products.
post #44 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post

Let's start calling this benchmark-gate.

That's only if Apple was doing it. Since they aren't it's "not a big deal."
post #45 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


That would work - if you could get any of the reviewers to do it. Unfortunately, most of the reviewers are so deeply in Samsung's camp that they'd never go along.

 

What you need first is an option in benchmarks like Geekbench along the lines of...

 

"Perform Test x Number of Times", "Perform Test for xx Time" or "Perform Test Until Battery Reaches xx%"

 

I believe GLBench had a battery test thought I never actually ran it.

post #46 of 59
Just another indication of their (Samsung's) ingrained culture of deceit. If they could ever get over their feelings of inferiority perhaps they could someday design and produce a truly original and innovative product on their own, rather than standing on the shoulders of others. Genetics?
post #47 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

How could the wiring of anyone's brain be so completely haywire as to make them capable of writing something like this?

they forgot the /sarcasm tag... but really the "hope" comment is really moronic trolling...

for expert and sophisticated (dare i say genius) trolling look at the "Gatorguy" posts on Appleinsider. /facetious
so expert that i am left wondering if it is trolling or just a source of information...
post #48 of 59

Slightly off topic but it should be noted that Kevin Packingham, the chief product officer for the mobile division of Samsung Electronics, has left the building.

 

http://www.businessinsider.com/kevin-packingham-leaves-samsung-2013-10

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #49 of 59
This type of behaviour by Samsung puts consumers in a tough spot. We may strongly disapprove of the company and want to hit them where it hurts (their financial statements), but sometimes the best product in a given price range is made by Samsung.

Earlier this year I was in the market for a personal laser printer. Not only did Samsung have the lowest cost printers, their better equipped models (Ethernet, wi-fi, duplexing, etc.) were priced the same as entry level ones from other manufacturers. To get the feature set of the $79 Samsung I would have had to pay over $100 and settle for a machine with poorer customer reviews, lower resolution printing and smaller, more expensive replacement toner cartridges. So despite going into the marketplace determined not to give Samsung any more of my money I purchased one of their printers.

I can, however, guarantee that I will never own a Samsung phone. I don't like their designs, the feel of their products, TouchWiz or their use of pentile OLED displays, and I will never knowingly own and operate a product running Android. If Google (and every app developer out there) wants my personal data they're going to have to work for it; I'm not going to simply hand it to them on a silver platter.
post #50 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

The popular press had best be careful in reporting on this subject or they risk losing hundreds of millions in $camscum advertising dollors.

$12 billion spent on marketing indeed gets you a lot of free passes in the tech media.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #51 of 59
Quote:
 
Another, represented by an Android avatar with the caption "hope," wrote, "I agree. I will believe anything from Google/DROID/Samsung. They are honest. I will never listen to or believe anything from or about Apple."
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post
 

 

And they say Apple fans live in a reality distortion field and worship Steve Jobs like an idol. These Fandroids are insane!!

 

+1


Edited by Mechanic - 10/3/13 at 7:11pm
post #52 of 59
Quote:
 
Another, represented by an Android avatar with the caption "hope," wrote, "I agree. I will believe anything from Google/DROID/Samsung. They are honest. I will never listen to or believe anything from or about Apple."

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post


How could the wiring of anyone's brain be so completely haywire as to make them capable of writing something like this?

Because they are dead from the neck both ways.

post #53 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

This type of behaviour by Samsung puts consumers in a tough spot. We may strongly disapprove of the company and want to hit them where it hurts (their financial statements), but sometimes the best product in a given price range is made by Samsung.



Earlier this year I was in the market for a personal laser printer. Not only did Samsung have the lowest cost printers, their better equipped models (Ethernet, wi-fi, duplexing, etc.) were priced the same as entry level ones from other manufacturers. To get the feature set of the $79 Samsung I would have had to pay over $100 and settle for a machine with poorer customer reviews, lower resolution printing and smaller, more expensive replacement toner cartridges. So despite going into the marketplace determined not to give Samsung any more of my money I purchased one of their printers.



I can, however, guarantee that I will never own a Samsung phone. I don't like their designs, the feel of their products, TouchWiz or their use of pentile OLED displays, and I will never knowingly own and operate a product running Android. If Google (and every app developer out there) wants my personal data they're going to have to work for it; I'm not going to simply hand it to them on a silver platter.

 



I do not condone Samsung's behaviour in this particular area, but I do believe it is important to remain grounded and not make sweeping generalisations about a whole company based on bad behaviour from a particular division. I am sure some will say that it speaks to the general tone of the company as a whole, but based on my experience of working in large companies I can say that very often the divisions within a company have different sub cultures.

I am a hardcore Apple fan. I have a MacBook Pro Retina, 3 Mac Minis (2 at home and 1 colocated), an Apple LED Cinema Display, a ATV, a AirPort Time Capsule, an iPad 1, an iPad Mini and an iPhone 4S; my daughters have a MacBook and an iPhone 5 each. BUT, I have a 63" Plasma TV, a Fridge/Freezer, a Washing Machine and a EZON Digital Lock all from Samsung; and I am very happy with them.

The reason I have a MacBook over a VAIO laptop or an iPhone over a Galaxy 4 or iOS over Android or Mac OS X over Windows is not because I am a blindly obsessed with Apple and hate anything else, but because I simply prefer the whole Apple experience: their products are well crafted and gorgeously designed, their ecosystem provides great connectivity between devices, their OSs are rock solid, easy to use and secure and IMHO they provide great value for money. But this is simply my view 1smile.gif
post #54 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post


It is a sad fact..... And last thing i want to do is discriminate and stereotype!
But having seen Samsungs lying, cheating, bribing , copying , misleading behavior over and over has made me not only not want to touch a samsung product... But i am even turned off by the Kia sportage i have. ....... And often feel /question... Is this how koreans are?

If you own a Kia Sportage, you may be entitled to a refund for overinflated mileage numbers that Kia was using for that model, as outlined in the post just above yours:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
 

Apropos of that.... here's an interesting news item on Korean car manufacturers: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2012/11/02/epa-slams-hyundai-and-kia-for-overestimating-mpg/

 

 

post #55 of 59
Samsung is proving to the world that it will cheat, steal, lie, fake, take, copy and remake it theres to make a buck. They will lie straight to your face without any reserves about everything Samsung. There commercials are a joke and now the whole world knows what a big ass lie they are and I wouldn't buy or receive a Samsung product ever!
post #56 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

Lol.. Did u even read what my response was? Lol... U seem to want to argue with yourself !

As for my xenophobia.. Lol..lets see.. I am . Part British , part Armenian, born in Iran. .. Lived in France and Usa. ..........

Looks like you've been many places other than Asia. I've been to Asia and work with Asian associates regularly. They're nice people. However, the culture is waaaaaaaay different than Europe or U.S. And yes, cheating in business is much more acceptable in Asia. In China it's often expected. To avoid getting screwed, you need a personal relationship.
Samsung's recent altercation of obtaining evidence under a protective order would be unthinkable to a large US company. Despite the criticism of our legal system, disrespecting the Court and it's orders is not tolerated. Judges are not bribed and even unethical lawyers would draw a line in the sand that Samsung even in retrospect doesn't seem to have a problem with. It's obviously cultural and no that doesn't make me a xenophobe.
post #57 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLGUY View Post

Take benchmarks with a grain of salt. Go to a telco store and try the phones yourself. The last time I did this I crash the Galaxy Tab an S3 and a BB10. My son and I did this while they pull a 4S from inventory. He already knew he only wanted an iPhone but this further confirmed what he already knew - that in everyday use other devices don't compare to an iOS device. Hopefully, I have done my job as a parent and he will only buy Apple products.

 

While I personally don't care about benchmarks (heck, I don't even understand the charts Anandtech puts out), I find there is a limit to how much you can test a phone meaningfully in a telco shop.

 

For one, they don't really have that many apps preloaded, and fiddling with the phone for just 5 minutes may not give you an accurate indicator of how well it will perform on a daily basis. For instance, hand-waving to scroll between photos seemed fun at the start, but my friend quickly discovered how slow and cumbersome it is when you have to do it repeatedly to scroll amongst 20+ photos, and it is actually more tiring to hover your hand slightly above the screen (with no support) than to rest it on the screen. 

 

I would personally like to see benchmarks start to mirror real-world results more closely. I don't expect them to be 100% accurate (different people will have different use cases ultimately), but any change would be an improvement from the current situation where phones are working faster only for benchmarks. 

post #58 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I suspect that's true of most of Samsung's customers, too. Samsung, like so many other tech companies, does not really understand its customers. I suspect that's one reason Samsung (and Dell et al) throw so many products up on the wall to see what sticks -- they just have no idea what real people want or need. They design for and market to the tech nerd press. 

That's what I concluded when Samsung started running those commercials mocking Apple fans who wait in line for iPhones as uncool dorks who are easily impressed by two dudes bumping their Samsung phones together. (Yeah right, in their wildest marketing fantasies)

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #59 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by binex View Post

I do not condone Samsung's behaviour in this particular area, but I do believe it is important to remain grounded and not make sweeping generalisations about a whole company based on bad behaviour from a particular division. I am sure some will say that it speaks to the general tone of the company as a whole, but based on my experience of working in large companies I can say that very often the divisions within a company have different sub cultures.

I am a hardcore Apple fan. I have a MacBook Pro Retina, 3 Mac Minis (2 at home and 1 colocated), an Apple LED Cinema Display, a ATV, a AirPort Time Capsule, an iPad 1, an iPad Mini and an iPhone 4S; my daughters have a MacBook and an iPhone 5 each. BUT, I have a 63" Plasma TV, a Fridge/Freezer, a Washing Machine and a EZON Digital Lock all from Samsung; and I am very happy with them.

The reason I have a MacBook over a VAIO laptop or an iPhone over a Galaxy 4 or iOS over Android or Mac OS X over Windows is not because I am a blindly obsessed with Apple and hate anything else, but because I simply prefer the whole Apple experience: their products are well crafted and gorgeously designed, their ecosystem provides great connectivity between devices, their OSs are rock solid, easy to use and secure and IMHO they provide great value for money. But this is simply my view 1smile.gif

 

I'm right there with you.  I have a Late-2012 iMac 27", an old MacBook, an ATV, an iPhone5S, an iPad3, and my dad has my old iPhone3GS that he uses to listen to podcasts pretty much.  I've owned an iPhone of one sort or another since the first one came out.  Oh, and somewhere in a drawer (I honestly have no idea) are a couple of iPods collecting dust.

 

I've got around 50GB of purchased music from iTunes, and a number of films and TV shows.

 

So, it's safe to say that I dig Apple and their ecosystem.  Everything works great for me.  I'm also a shareholder.

 

But both my HDTV and my Blu-Ray player are Samsung.  For some reason, Amazon had a ridiculous deal on my HDTV at the time, and there was no way I was going to pass that up.  And when I got the BRP, I figured why not match it up with the HDTV?  That was the entirety of my decision-making in those cases.

 

Apple I'm dedicated to, if for no other reason than I already have a vast investment in the ecosystem.  And as you say, it works great so why would I change anyways?  When I replace my HDTV (soon hopefully) I have no such dedication to Samsung.  If I see an LG I like, that's what I'll get.  If Apple comes out with their own "TV" that's what I'll probably get.  Etc.

 

Oh, also, the couple of times I have had to take something into the Apple Store to be looked at I received awesome service, even though both times the item was out of warranty.  That's another Apple advantage: The Apple Store.  There are three within reasonable distance from me.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Samsung issues second, unsubstantiated denial of Galaxy S4, Note 3 benchmark cheating
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung issues second, unsubstantiated denial of Galaxy S4, Note 3 benchmark cheating