or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Best Buy slashes iPhone 5c pricing to $50 with in-store gift cards
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Buy slashes iPhone 5c pricing to $50 with in-store gift cards

post #1 of 84
Thread Starter 
After being on sale for only two weeks, Apple's iPhone 5c is getting a promotional price cut from Best Buy, with the big box electronics retailer handing out $50 store gift cards to put toward the handset's $99 retail cost.



According to ABC News, Best Buy will be offering the plastic-shelled iPhone with a $50 gift card applicable to the handset's retail price of $99, effectively bringing the out-the-door cost down to $50.

The deal is not limited to the iPhone, however, as Best Buy is extending the $50 gift card to the Samsung Galaxy S4, which normally sells for $199. When asked why the discounts were being instituted, a company spokesman said the move is meant to drive traffic to those specific devices.

Apple launched the iPhone 5c on Sept. 20 alongside the new flagship iPhone 5s, which is not part of Best Buy's promotion. Over their launch weekend, the two new iPhones racked up a record 9 million unit sales, though Apple declined to give a model by model breakdown of that figure.

At least one analyst believes sales may have been split 50-50, as supply of the iPhone 5c reportedly outstripped that of the higher-priced iPhone 5s.

Those looking to take advantage of Best Buy's offer will have to visit one of the chain's brick-and-mortar stores, as the sale pricing is not available online. The deal runs today through Sunday.
post #2 of 84
And of course this is not available for the 5S!

I think the channels are still pretty loaded with 5C and that's why we're seeing deals like this.

Retailers want these phones off the shelves, and not surprisingly the S4 is in the same predicament.
post #3 of 84
$50 off a phone that has a 2 year contract? Slashes?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #4 of 84
I may just tale them up on that offer. I think this will get people to the stores.
post #5 of 84

Does this mean my GF can take her (POS) Sprint feature phone (her contract is up) and get a 5c for $50? And still be on Sprint?

 

Thx

post #6 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post
 

Does this mean my GF can take her (POS) Sprint feature phone (her contract is up) and get a 5c for $50? And still be on Sprint?

 

Thx

 

Yah... as long as you use bb gift card

post #7 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I think the channels are still pretty loaded with 5C and that's why we're seeing deals like this.

 

You do? Based on what information exactly? It couldn't possibly be a promotion to drive more people to come into Best Buys, right? No, it has to be because the 5c is not selling. Riiiiiight.

post #8 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
 

 

Yah... as long as you use bb gift card

 

Oh right...thanks. We never go to BB. They sell to much plasticky crap products! :)

post #9 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post
 

 

Oh right...thanks. We never go to BB. They sell to much plasticky crap products! :)

 

Uh, I've bought every single Apple product I own from BB aside from my iPhones, and have never had a problem. They have a better return policy than Apple, plus they have this crazy thing called a "Rewards Program" that actually rewards you for shopping there.

post #10 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post
 

 

You do? Based on what information exactly? It couldn't possibly be a promotion to drive more people to come into Best Buys, right? No, it has to be because the 5c is not selling. Riiiiiight.

 

Mike,  promotions like this happen to get rid of stock.  You may not like it, but this is another sign that the 5C is overstocked.  Carriers in China are also offering discounts; the following is a quote from Caijing:  

 

"IPhone5c, Apple's newly-launched lower-end phone, is selling at discounts as sales remain stagnant overshadowed by the intensively popular iPhone 5s."

post #11 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post
 

 

You do? Based on what information exactly? It couldn't possibly be a promotion to drive more people to come into Best Buys, right? No, it has to be because the 5c is not selling. Riiiiiight.

 

From the article:

 

"When asked why the discounts were being instituted, a company spokesman said the move is meant to drive traffic to those specific devices."

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #12 of 84

Please excuse my ignorance, but can the iPhone 5c be used in iPod-like fashion before being activated by a carrier?

 

As in, I will buy my daughter a kick-ass $50 iPod until/unless I choose to activate it as a phone?

 

Thanks for any response.

post #13 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotScott View Post
 

Please excuse my ignorance, but can the iPhone 5c be used in iPod-like fashion before being activated by a carrier?

 

As in, I will buy my daughter a kick-ass $50 iPod until/unless I choose to activate it as a phone?

 

Thanks for any response.

 

In order to get it for that price you have to sign up for a carrier contract and have it activated with that carrier.

post #14 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotScott View Post
 

Please excuse my ignorance, but can the iPhone 5c be used in iPod-like fashion before being activated by a carrier?

 

As in, I will buy my daughter a kick-ass $50 iPod until/unless I choose to activate it as a phone?

 

Thanks for any response.

 

I could be wrong, but I doubt that such an obvious arbitrage opportunity exists. I don't think you can get past the 'emergency call' screen unless you activate. That, in turn, automatically enrolls you in a two-year plan.

post #15 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillio View Post

I would not be surprised if demand for IPhone 5C will drop. I know there are the initial lines, etc. but when the dust settles, I don't think the 5C will do well. And yes, I do think that Apple after such a great streak of success can make mistakes. I know the general sentiment on this forum, but as a longtime Apple fan, I'm disappointed in their decision with the 5C and with IOS7. I don't like where they went with them. You and Tim C. can say all you want that they don't care about market share. They do, and it's important to keep the ecosystem in place, users locked in, and developers coding for it. You can't do that if you don't have a certain critical mass of market share. And this is something forward-looking. You can't wait until it actually starts happening and developers code for Android first and iOS second. That will be too late. Hope Apple doesn't make the same mistake as Ballmer did. Oh, iPhone is a rounding error, oh we don't care about market share, we care about usage share...

 

I LOVE iOS 7 honestly.

 

I find new conveniences and features everyday, and it is so much more beautiful and functional than previous iOS'.

 

The 5C is simply overpriced for what's offered, but at this point it is too late for Apple to backtrack on the price. The one benefit I see is that the 5C is driving 5S sales. People no longer have the option to settle for last years "good enough" iPhone. Now there is a clear distinction and people are deciding to pay up the extra $100 to get the higher end iPhone.

 

Upsale is good, and the 5C seems to appeal to some customers as well. It's not the break out success it could have been, but it seems to be serving a purpose.

post #16 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotScott View Post
 

Please excuse my ignorance, but can the iPhone 5c be used in iPod-like fashion before being activated by a carrier?

 

As in, I will buy my daughter a kick-ass $50 iPod until/unless I choose to activate it as a phone?

 

Thanks for any response.

 

No, the $50 iPhone price mandates that you commit to a 2 year contract up front.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #17 of 84
I think the information is a little but off. From what I've read on other sites the $50 gift card can not be used towards the purchase of the 5C, it can be used for future transactions at Best Buy.
post #18 of 84
Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

Mike, promotions like this happen to get rid of stock.

 

 

Not this one, though.

post #19 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillio View Post

I would not be surprised if demand for IPhone 5C will drop. I know there are the initial lines, etc. but when the dust settles, I don't think the 5C will do well. And yes, I do think that Apple after such a great streak of success can make mistakes. I know the general sentiment on this forum, but as a longtime Apple fan, I'm disappointed in their decision with the 5C and with IOS7. I don't like where they went with them. You and Tim C. can say all you want that they don't care about market share. They do, and it's important to keep the ecosystem in place, users locked in, and developers coding for it. You can't do that if you don't have a certain critical mass of market share. And this is something forward-looking. You can't wait until it actually starts happening and developers code for Android first and iOS second. That will be too late. Hope Apple doesn't make the same mistake as Ballmer did. Oh, iPhone is a rounding error, oh we don't care about market share, we care about usage share...
Nothing wrong with the phone - it's last years 5 in a cost effective case. The pastel colors aren't to my personal taste but ... tastes differ, and I can believe others will like it.

What's wrong is it's overpriced. Not massively so. But it's just too near the 5S, I'm not surprised we're already seeing discounts.
post #20 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Oh right...thanks. We never go to BB. They sell to much plasticky crap products! 1smile.gif

We don't have Best Buy in the UK so I wouldn't know what they are like. But it seems kind of weird for you to use the word 'plasticky' in such a derogatory fashion on a thread about an unashamedly plastic phone.
post #21 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevt View Post

Nothing wrong with the phone - it's last years 5 in a cost effective case. The pastel colors aren't to my personal taste but ... tastes differ, and I can believe others will like it.

What's wrong is it's overpriced. Not massively so. But it's just too near the 5S, I'm not surprised we're already seeing discounts.

That's the price the iPhone 5 would have been had they not removed it and that model has worked out amazing well for Apple. Sure, the case is a little cheaper but it also adds some new HW and features the previous stepping didn't have. Considering that most of the "high-end" Android phones also have plastic cases and cost more than the 5C I'm not that's going to be hurt Apple's sales if selling the previous two years of iPhone as-is didn't hurt sales.
post #22 of 84
Originally Posted by kevt View Post
What's wrong is it's overpriced.

 

Patently false. Its price is identical to what the iPhone 5 would have been, and that wouldn’t have received complaints.

 

Originally Posted by kevt View Post
But it seems kind of weird for you to use the word 'plasticky' in such a derogatory fashion on a thread about an unashamedly plastic phone.

 

There’s plastic and there’s plastic.

post #23 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post
 

 

Mike,  promotions like this happen to get rid of stock.  You may not like it, but this is another sign that the 5C is overstocked.  Carriers in China are also offering discounts; the following is a quote from Caijing:  

 

"IPhone5c, Apple's newly-launched lower-end phone, is selling at discounts as sales remain stagnant overshadowed by the intensively popular iPhone 5s."

 

Thats stupid reasoning.  Walmart discounted the 5C at $79 BEFORE LAUNCH.  How can Walmart be overstocked BEFORE the phone was released?  Its just a promotion. 

 

The price is fine.  The 5C was never meant to be the volume seller.  Its an addition phone for those who just want a basic iPhone without the high tech stuff and a $100 cheaper price tag (or $150 since you don't need a case).  Kids absolutely love these phones. 

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #24 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillio View Post

I would not be surprised if demand for IPhone 5C will drop. I know there are the initial lines, etc. but when the dust settles, I don't think the 5C will do well. And yes, I do think that Apple after such a great streak of success can make mistakes. I know the general sentiment on this forum, but as a longtime Apple fan, I'm disappointed in their decision with the 5C and with IOS7. I don't like where they went with them. You and Tim C. can say all you want that they don't care about market share. They do, and it's important to keep the ecosystem in place, users locked in, and developers coding for it. You can't do that if you don't have a certain critical mass of market share. And this is something forward-looking. You can't wait until it actually starts happening and developers code for Android first and iOS second. That will be too late. Hope Apple doesn't make the same mistake as Ballmer did. Oh, iPhone is a rounding error, oh we don't care about market share, we care about usage share...

Considering iOS has never had a majority market share with smart phones, it hasn't hurt them too much.

You just compared Cook to Ballmer? Apple has the #1 phone and is always moving fwd.
post #25 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post

Yah... as long as you use bb gift card

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Oh right...thanks. We never go to BB. They sell to much plasticky crap products! :)

The $50 can be used to buy your next iPhone5s;-)

post #26 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

Thats stupid reasoning.  Walmart discounted the 5C at $79 BEFORE LAUNCH.  How can Walmart be overstocked BEFORE the phone was released?  Its just a promotion. 

 

The price is fine.  The 5C was never meant to be the volume seller.  Its an addition phone for those who just want a basic iPhone without the high tech stuff and a $100 cheaper price tag (or $150 since you don't need a case).  Kids absolutely love these phones. 

 

also, the pricing on the 5c allows for more discounting... it's more profitable for the big box stores (and in china and japan).   As long as they only run it as promotions, I don't think Apple has an issue with it (they get the same amount in the end).

post #27 of 84
OK I'm confused. When the 5C was announced for pre-order Walmart (and I think) Target offered it at a discount. But now we're supposed to believe Best Buy is doing so because sales are soft? In the United States where the subsidized market is still quite popular?
post #28 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Thats stupid reasoning.  Walmart discounted the 5C at $79 BEFORE LAUNCH.  How can Walmart be overstocked BEFORE the phone was released?  Its just a promotion. 

The price is fine.  The 5C was never meant to be the volume seller.  Its an addition phone for those who just want a basic iPhone without the high tech stuff and a $100 cheaper price tag (or $150 since you don't need a case).  Kids absolutely love these phones. 

I don't think we can say for sure if the price is fine or not. But like you mention Walmart discounted the phone before launch and some carriers have discounted it as well. My guess is its to drive business more than anything.
post #29 of 84

The iPhone 5S is $100 off at Virgin Mobile.

 

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/iphone5s-gray-phone/features/?intid=AB:HERO:131001:iPhone5s:Launch:LM

 

So I guess with the conclusion of this article and a few trolls on this forum is that the 5S sales are slow also?  Really?  So any time there is a sale on an item it means sales are slow?  The stupidity is AMAZING.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #30 of 84
Quote:
According to ABC News, Best Buy will be offering the plastic-shelled iPhone with a $50 gift card applicable to the handset's retail price of $99, effectively bringing the out-the-door cost down to $50.

 

Excuse me, ABC, I presume you did not graduate 5th grade. 

Because a 5th grader knows that $99 - $50 = $49.  Effectively.  Not $50.

Except in California, where it takes an 8th grader to know.

http://articles.latimes.com/1997-02-28/news/mn-33443_1_math-skills

post #31 of 84
The 5C is selling like hotcakes compared to every other smartphone in the market except one, the 5S.

Look at web traffic and activations.

Sorry to those who are rooting for Apple to fail.

So very very sorry.
post #32 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Patently false. Its price is identical to what the iPhone 5 would have been, and that wouldn’t have received complaints.


There’s plastic and there’s plastic.
Fact is plastic is cheaper, so people think iPhone 5C should stand for iPhone 5Crappy case, but it in the end is probably only $10 difference making the 2, I think if apple made the 5 and 5S come in all the colors and never made the 5C, it would have been less work (correct me if I'm wrong), less complaints, similar liked opinion.

If only the retailers would be willing $0, American cellular providers obviously would not change there 93% profit to 91% so that won't work.
post #33 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post


Fact is plastic is cheaper, so people think iPhone 5C should stand for iPhone 5Crappy case, but it in the end is probably only $10 difference making the 2, I think if apple made the 5 and 5S come in all the colors and never made the 5C, it would have been less work (correct me if I'm wrong), less complaints, similar liked opinion.

If only the retailers would be willing $0, American cellular providers obviously would not change there 93% profit to 91% so that won't work.

You can't be serious!

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #34 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

The 5C is selling like hotcakes compared to every other smartphone in the market except one, the 5S.

Look at web traffic and activations.

Sorry to those who are rooting for Apple to fail.

So very very sorry.

 

I can't find those stats. Could you provide a link, please.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #35 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

The 5C was never meant to be the volume seller.

 

I didn't see anything from Apple execs that said this. Link please.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #36 of 84
The iPhone 5C was never meant to be a cheap, low cost phone. That was a rumor the internet made up and everyone went with it. The one thing I would have changed though is not gone with plastic and use aluminum, but keep the design so it would actually look a lot like their iPods. It would be more expensive that plastic, but I think it would make the 5C more popular.
post #37 of 84
Interesting to see if Apple will sell the 5C at a lower price pre Christmas. No huge shame in getting pricing wrong as the original iPhone was overpriced.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #38 of 84

I find it interesting that Apple continues to heavily push the 5c on their web site. For the last three weeks when you visit their home page you get the 5c in your face. If you pause you will see the 5s but I would have thought they would want to promote their top of the range phone first. 

post #39 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by promise7 View Post

The iPhone 5C was never meant to be a cheap, low cost phone. That was a rumor the internet made up and everyone went with it. The one thing I would have changed though is not gone with plastic and use aluminum, but keep the design so it would actually look a lot like their iPods. It would be more expensive that plastic, but I think it would make the 5C more popular.

 

You don't know if that is true, or if they decided that they couldn't get the margins and abandoned the cheapest model 5C for now, using the 4S instead. It seems odd to have developed a new model in plastic, and then to keep the 4S. Nobody was expecting that because it didn't make sense - it turned a new strategy based on selling a this year's cheaper model rather than last years model, into the same thing as before except last years model is now plastic. And the 32 bit connector continues in one model only.

 

I doubt if that was the original strategy. However in Summer when they looked at the figures for production, they probably thought that they would get lots of orders for the 5C anyway from Japan and China, and other new markets and there was no need or available capacity, at least in the run up to Christmas/Chinese New Year to sell the 5C at the lower price - which would mean the price of the 4S.  Or they have a newer product to come early next year. Or both.

 

However they now have a pricing model where you pay $100 for more storage in the 5C, or $100 for a faster chip, 64 bit arch, M7, touch screen, faster GPU etc in the 5S. I bet sales of the 5C higher end model are low.

 

( the very existence of that higher end model indicate, that - unlike what TS thinks - this is not the same strategy as before with added plastic). 

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #40 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Patently false. Its price is identical to what the iPhone 5 would have been, and that wouldn’t have

Yes, that's the point. It's the identical price to what "last year's" flagship has always been. Except ... it's a cheaper plastic version brought to you at no saving whatsoever.

I'm not having a go the phone itself (I really liked my plastic 3GS). Just the price.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Best Buy slashes iPhone 5c pricing to $50 with in-store gift cards