or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Best Buy slashes iPhone 5c pricing to $50 with in-store gift cards

Best Buy slashes iPhone 5c pricing to $50 with in-store gift cards - Page 2

post #41 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevt View Post

Yes, that's the point. It's the identical price to what "last year's" flagship has always been. Except ... it's a cheaper plastic version brought to you at no saving whatsoever.

I'm not having a go the phone itself (I really liked my plastic 3GS). Just the price.

Then don't buy one. Problem solved.

The fact is that Apple followed the same practice as earlier phones. Good, Better, Best. Each year, there's a new Best and the previous Best drops to Better. The only difference this year is that the new Better is not exactly the same as the previous Best - it has a new case, and somewhat improved internals. Unless you're working in Apple's finance department, you have no idea what the cost difference is. In the end, they decided that the added features (better camera, color, and other improvements) justified keeping the price the same.

Not to mention, of course, that price is not determined by manufacturing cost, but rather by what the market will pay for an item. Even the most pessimistic reports are that Apple sold 2 M of the 5C model on opening weekend - which is probably the best launch ever for a phone using year old technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

Mike,  promotions like this happen to get rid of stock.  You may not like it, but this is another sign that the 5C is overstocked.  

Nonsense. People offer promotions for all sorts of reasons. One of the big ones is simply to get people into the story.

Think about Black Friday. It's quite common for companies to offer products at huge discounts in very limited quantities - simply to drive store traffic. Heck, there were companies offering discounts on the Wii back when they were in incredibly short supply everywhere. And, as someone pointed out above, Walmart announced discounts on the 5C before it even launched, so your premise is flawed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

The 5C is selling like hotcakes compared to every other smartphone in the market except one, the 5S.

Look at web traffic and activations.

Sorry to those who are rooting for Apple to fail.

So very very sorry.

We don't know that for sure since there are no actual figures. However, when even the most pessimistic estimates put 5C sales at 2 M in its first weekend, it's likely to be selling well.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #42 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I LOVE iOS 7 honestly.

I find new conveniences and features everyday, and it is so much more beautiful and functional than previous iOS'.

The 5C is simply overpriced for what's offered, but at this point it is too late for Apple to backtrack on the price. The one benefit I see is that the 5C is driving 5S sales. People no longer have the option to settle for last years "good enough" iPhone. Now there is a clear distinction and people are deciding to pay up the extra $100 to get the higher end iPhone.

Upsale is good, and the 5C seems to appeal to some customers as well. It's not the break out success it could have been, but it seems to be serving a purpose.

How is it too late to backtrack on the price? They could silently drop the 4s and put the base 5c in the "free"/$450 slot if they want to. They probably won't do this so quickly after launch, but they might in January or March. Apple's done this before. Heck, they dropped the price of the original iPhone by 1/3 just 74 days after release. Most recently, they dropped the prices of the rMBP line in January 2013, just 4 months after releasing the 13" model.

Oddly, if the analyst data on activations is remotely correct, the 5c is doing better in the US and UK than in emerging markets. My guess is what's happening is that the 5c is selling in similar numbers to what the 4s did last year, or what the 5 would have if Apple had stayed true to form and just made it the "mid-range" phone. Apple probably hoped repackaging it and introducing it as a "new" model might spur some growth, but that doesn't seem to be happening. $100 probably isn't a big enough price different. But maybe $150 would be.

post #43 of 84
Well, I'm not interested in the 5c whatsoever, nor anyone I know. For only 100euros more (since Apple's dollar is worth one euro, for some reason), I can get a 5s. Why would I get the lower end?

I do feel Apple should have not done the 5s in the two lower prices. It should only be the most expensive one, for lower prices get the 5c. Then again, Apple's in charge and they should know better than I, right.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #44 of 84
I also think the 4S may be discontinued early next year - not end of year. With an 8G entry model which will sell like hot cakes at that price. Maybe the other model ranges will drop by $50. In any case there is probably no need now - cheap 5C would meet as much supply constraint as the 5S which would generate its own bad publicity.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #45 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I also think the 4S may be discontinued early next year - not end of year. With an 8G entry model which will sell like hot cakes at that price. Maybe the other model ranges will drop by $50. In any case there is probably no need now - cheap 5C would meet as much supply constraint as the 5S which would generate its own bad publicity.

I don't see people wanting an 8GB entry model... As I said, I don't think the price of the 5C is wrong, I think the 5S should not have the 16GB version at all, or even the 32.

post #46 of 84
Quote:

I LOVE iOS 7 honestly.

(...) it is so much more beautiful and functional than previous iOS'.

I am agnostic, but about 4 people out of 5 around me hate the looks.

Functional is one thing, but looks is essential to some people who buy Apple (many girls and artists around me). "Playskool", "kid", "it looked more pro before", "why does it look like crap", "my beautiful icons have changed and now I have those ugly ones, can you fix it please?" (last one is I expect the worst, the user in question having no clue what happened and that she's asking for the impossible here... I upgraded her phone for her by the way, makes for a complicated explanation that despite the looks, her iPhone 5 is much better now)

post #47 of 84
Quote:

Yes, that's the point. It's the identical price to what "last year's" flagship has always been. Except ... it's a cheaper plastic version brought to you at no saving whatsoever.

I'm not having a go the phone itself (I really liked my plastic 3GS). Just the price.

To be fair, it does have a slightly better camera and better LTE support. It's probably selling about as well as "last year's flagship" did, but Apple and resellers hoped it would do a bit better. It could be the same scenario that played out with the rMBP. Apple lowered the price of that device back in January. They can easily do that with the 5c.

My guess is that it isn't so much the similarity to the 5 as it is the contrast to the 5s. It really makes it that much clearer how much more you get for $100 more (Touch ID, A7, better camera, fancier design). Since the 5 "looks like" the 5s, the contrast might not have been as clear.

post #48 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

I don't see people wanting an 8GB entry model... As I said, I don't think the price of the 5C is wrong, I think the 5S should not have the 16GB version at all, or even the 32.

The 16GB version is fine for a lot of people. The 32GB version is plenty for me. 

Quote:

Functional is one thing, but looks is essential to some people who buy Apple (many girls and artists around me). "Playskool", "kid", "it looked more pro before", "why does it look like crap", "my beautiful icons have changed and now I have those ugly ones, can you fix it please?" (last one is I expect the worst, the user in question having no clue what happened and that she's asking for the impossible here... I upgraded her phone for her by the way, makes for a complicated explanation that despite the looks, her iPhone 5 is much better now)

I think it's a function of being "different" after 6 years of largely the same look. After 2 weeks of using iOS 7 it looks perfectly normal to me. Plus the UI updates were long overdue (the control center, updates to notifications, etc) as Android and even Windows Phone have had similar functionality for a while now.

post #49 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

The 16GB version is fine for a lot of people. The 32GB version is plenty for me. 

I think it's a function of being "different" after 6 years of largely the same look. After 2 weeks of using iOS 7 it looks perfectly normal to me. Plus the UI updates were long overdue (the control center, updates to notifications, etc) as Android and even Windows Phone have had similar functionality for a while now.

I agree that it is fine for a lot of people, I'm talking marketing here. If you sell a good phone at its price at 600 and a better phone at only 700, people will get the better phone. 

If you sell a good phone at 600 and a much better phone at 800, people will think twice. Do they need more features and more space? Should they go for the 5C?

For the looks/features: as I said, people complain about the looks, the features are pretty welcome... but the looks aren't. Might be as you say "getting used to it".

post #50 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I can't find those stats. Could you provide a link, please.

9 million phones in 3 days.  Happy now?  I don't care what the split is between C and S.  Bottom line is the combined effort blew away the 5 sales by 80%.

If the C is causing people to buy the S then mission accomplished.

post #51 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScartArt View Post

I find it interesting that Apple continues to heavily push the 5c on their web site. For the last three weeks when you visit their home page you get the 5c in your face. If you pause you will see the 5s but I would have thought they would want to promote their top of the range phone first. 

This is why the 5c is so different than the 4s when the 4s was in the mid-tier spot last year... the marketing. This is also the reason I believe that Apple had the 5c positioned as a volume seller. It was never meant to sell like previous phones in this position. It was built as a phone to increase volume.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #52 of 84
Quote:

I agree that it is fine for a lot of people, I'm talking marketing here. If you sell a good phone at its price at 600 and a better phone at only 700, people will get the better phone. 

That's true in much of the world. In the U.S. with a major carrier, it's $100 vs $200 - which is enough to make the cheaper one relatively more attractive than if you had to pay the full price.

I understand all about subsidies, but that's a red herring. If you're like most Americans, you pay the same amount per month whether you get a new phone every 2 years or not, so you might as well do it - so the effective cost is $100 or $200 (or nothing if you get a 4S).
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #53 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

9 million phones in 3 days.  Happy now?  I don't care what the split is between C and S.  Bottom line is the combined effort blew away the 5 sales by 80%.

If the C is causing people to buy the S then mission accomplished.

So, as usual, you got nothing.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #54 of 84
Quote:

So, as usual, you got nothing.

tell me whats wrong with selling 9 million phones in 3 days.

so now you know better than Apple.  Get off your island and start your own smartphone company if you think you are so smart.  I don't know why you are so bitter about the 5C.  It was Wall Street alone that feed you the dream that a $400 iPhone was coming. 

With Apple you either get it or you don't.  PERIOD.  Hundreds of millions of people get it and are willing to pay a premium price for a premium product.  People like you will NEVER get it.  Stop being a cheapskate and pay the $550 or just get a $99 Android for crying out loud. 

post #55 of 84
Quote:

so now you know better than Apple.  Get off your island and start your own smartphone company if you think you are so smart.  I don't know why you are so bitter about the 5C.  It was Wall Street alone that feed you the dream that a $400 iPhone was coming. 

With Apple you either get it or you don't.  PERIOD.  Hundreds of millions of people get it and are willing to pay a premium price for a premium product.  People like you will NEVER get it.  Stop being a cheapskate and pay the $550 or just get a $99 Android for crying out loud. 

... and, as usual, you are changing the subject. I guess I have to remind you what the original poster said:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

The 5C is selling like hotcakes compared to every other smartphone in the market except one, the 5S.

So very very sorry.

Show me the stats. I'm not here to prove or disprove  the 5c selling better or worse than anything else. I'm actually interested to see the stats if they are available. I'd like to know how the competition stacks up against the 5c.

Edited by island hermit - 10/4/13 at 6:52am
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #56 of 84
Quote:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with selling 9 million phones in 3 days.  I believe they did, and that of course includes all sales to channels.  However, it DOES NOT mean that all of those 9 million phones were sold to consumers.  But, why do you think Apple's stock hasn't soared since the launch with those fabulous numbers?

There's a lot of doubt in the investment community about how many of the 9 million were 5C models and how many didn't actually sell during that weekend.  The 5S seems to be doing very well, but there's a lingering doubt (and and increasing amount of evidence) that the 5C is not doing well.   Specifically there have been reports out of Australia and China that the 5C isn't selling well and the ONLINE STATS that you referred to earlier (but could not produce) indicate that the 5C is being activated at about a 1 to 3 ratio versus the 5S.  

Best Buy offering a discount a mere two weeks after launching is another indicator.  

If you're so sure of yourself, go buy some Apple shares, because there's a discount being built into the price because of this doubt.  If on the other hand you're wrong, and the 5C is selling poorly and the 5S sales are not making up for it, be prepared to take a hair cut!

post #57 of 84
Quote:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with selling 9 million phones in 3 days.  I believe they did, and that of course includes all sales to channels.  However, it DOES NOT mean that all of those 9 million phones were sold to consumers.  But, why do you think Apple's stock hasn't soared since the launch with those fabulous numbers?

There's a lot of doubt in the investment community about how many of the 9 million were 5C models and how many didn't actually sell during that weekend.  The 5S seems to be doing very well, but there's a lingering doubt (and and increasing amount of evidence) that the 5C is not doing well.   Specifically there have been reports out of Australia and China that the 5C isn't selling well and the ONLINE STATS that you referred to earlier (but could not produce) indicate that the 5C is being activated at about a 1 to 3 ratio versus the 5S.  

Best Buy offering a discount a mere two weeks after launching is another indicator.  

If you're so sure of yourself, go buy some Apple shares, because there's a discount being built into the price because of this doubt.  If on the other hand you're wrong, and the 5C is selling poorly and the 5S sales are not making up for it, be prepared to take a hair cut!

So now you are believing the same Wall Street clowns that said the 5C would be $400?  Now you believe the same clowns who said 2.5 million phones were in stores unsold?  Same clowns that said there was a shortage of TouchID scanners and sales would only be 4-5 million?  Sorry I don't believe those clowns.  And yes I did buy shares this week and last week.

HAVING A SALE IS NOT AN INDICATOR OF WEAK SALES.  FOR THE LAST FRIKEN TIME! 

The 5C was $25 off at Walmart before it was released.

The 5S is $100 off Virgin Mobile right now. 

SHUT THE HELL UP ABOUT THIS INDICATOR CRAP.

post #58 of 84
So Matt Drudge decides to put the Best Buy 5C promotion on the front page of the drudge report under the misleading headline 'iPhone 5C price cut in half' - no reference to Best Buy. Anything for clicks I guess. 1rolleyes.gif

OT: the Leica camera that Jony Ive and Marc Newson designed for the Product(RED) auction has been leaked. Now if only I was wealthy and could bid on it. Sigh.

TNC-100113auction007-mv.jpg
post #59 of 84
Does anybody know ... Is there a 5c you can buy off contract from any carrier that does NOT require a data plan?

I want to buy a 5c for my mother but only to use as a phone and camera, with Siri (for making calls), and to sync with her Mac. I know AT&T requires a data plan, but that is an unnecessary expense.
post #60 of 84
I agree that iPhone 5C is overstocked. In France, it is sold on ... Groupon, Lol !!!!!
post #61 of 84
Quote:

How is it too late to backtrack on the price? They could silently drop the 4s and put the base 5c in the "free"/$450 slot if they want to. They probably won't do this so quickly after launch, but they might in January or March. Apple's done this before. Heck, they dropped the price of the original iPhone by 1/3 just 74 days after release. Most recently, they dropped the prices of the rMBP line in January 2013, just 4 months after releasing the 13" model.

Oddly, if the analyst data on activations is remotely correct, the 5c is doing better in the US and UK than in emerging markets. My guess is what's happening is that the 5c is selling in similar numbers to what the 4s did last year, or what the 5 would have if Apple had stayed true to form and just made it the "mid-range" phone. Apple probably hoped repackaging it and introducing it as a "new" model might spur some growth, but that doesn't seem to be happening. $100 probably isn't a big enough price different. But maybe $150 would be.

If Apple dropped the price before September 2014, they would be admitting they made a mistake. That's something Apple never does.

The most I expect is an entry level 8GB model released for $450 some time after the holidays. The 16GB and 32GB will remain the same price until the next iPhone is released.

post #62 of 84
Quote:

That's subject.

4 people out of 5 around me love it.

post #63 of 84
Quote:

That's subject.

4 people out of 5 around me love it.

Someone else said that and then basically went on to say they were going to buy the 5s. Loving it doesn't necessarily mean buying it.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #64 of 84
Quote:

... and, as usual, you are changing the subject. I guess I have to remind you what the original poster said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

So very very sorry.

Show me the stats. I'm not here to prove or disprove  the 5c selling better or worse than anything else. I'm actually interested to see the stats if they are available. I'd like to know how the competition stacks up against the 5c.

So your saying all 9 MM sold on the first weekend were 5S's? If not, what percentage were 5C's? 20%, 30%? So that's still 2-3 MM in one weekend. Compare to most Androids, that's fantastic.
Quote:

Really? How much do you think Apple shipped to its partners on opening weekend and how much did it keep for its own sales? If Apple kept a simple majority of iPhones, it wouldn't count as sales until it was shipped/sold to the end user.

WS was disappointed with 9 MM sales over the weekend. Eff WS.
post #65 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

So your saying all 9 MM sold on the first weekend were 5S's? If not, what percentage were 5C's? 20%, 30%? So that's still 2-3 MM in one weekend. Compare to most Androids, that's fantastic.

Either you are really really stupid or you know damn well that is not what I am saying.

I just want to see the  stats that the poster mentioned.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #66 of 84
Quote:

Someone else said that and then basically went on to say they were going to buy the 5s. Loving it doesn't necessarily mean buying it.
There is a thread on MacRumors with 5C owners and everyone there loves it. In fact a few people who were fed up waiting for a 5S got a 5C instead and love it. I still contend Apple's marketing around the 5C is flawed. Since thy kept 5 in the nomenclature and made a point of referencing the 5 in the keynote and video the media was able to spin it as last years phone in colored plastic. And then spin it as a downgrade suggesting that Apple replaced the "premium" aluminum and glass with cheap plastic. What's frustrating about it is most, if not all of the 5C reviews have been very positive. Most of the posts I see on message boards from owners are very positive. In fact some have said they think this is the best iPhone in terms of build quality and how it feels in the hand that Apple has ever produced. But yet it has this negative connotation as last years phone.

I think Apple's strategy of having two iPhone lines is a good one. But I think they need to change the naming and marketing. If they're going to keep the colored theme on the cheaper iPhone maybe call them iPhone and iPhone color. Anything to get away from referencing the prior years phone. I'm guessing cheaper Android and Nokia devices aren't using the latest and greatest technology yet they don't get knocked for selling last years phone as something new. And from the AnandTech review the 5C is very competitive with flagship Android and Windows devices. I think the 5C could better stand on its own as a really great phone it Apple didn't tie it so closely to the 5.
post #67 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

There is a thread on MacRumors with 5C owners and everyone there loves it. In fact a few people who were fed up waiting for a 5S got a 5C instead and love it. I still contend Apple's marketing around the 5C is flawed. Since thy kept 5 in the nomenclature and made a point of referencing the 5 in the keynote and video the media was able to spin it as last years phone in colored plastic. And then spin it as a downgrade suggesting that Apple replaced the "premium" aluminum and glass with cheap plastic. What's frustrating about it is most, if not all of the 5C reviews have been very positive. Most of the posts I see on message boards from owners are very positive. In fact some have said they think this is the best iPhone in terms of build quality and how it feels in the hand that Apple has ever produced. But yet it has this negative connotation as last years phone.

I think Apple's strategy of having two iPhone lines is a good one. But I think they need to change the naming and marketing. If they're going to keep the colored theme on the cheaper iPhone maybe call them iPhone and iPhone color. Anything to get away from referencing the prior years phone. I'm guessing cheaper Android and Nokia devices aren't using the latest and greatest technology yet they don't get knocked for selling last years phone as something new. And from the AnandTech review the 5C is very competitive with flagship Android and Windows devices. I think the 5C could better stand on its own as a really great phone it Apple didn't tie it so closely to the 5.

I didn't say I hated the 5c or anyone else hates the 5c. Just to make that clear.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #68 of 84
Quote:

Either you are really really stupid or you know damn well that is not what I am saying.

I just want to see the  stats that the poster mentioned.

You will never see it.  PERIOD.  Apple never releases phone sales by tier in their quarterly earnings.

post #69 of 84
Quote:

You will never see it.  PERIOD.  Apple never releases phone sales by tier.

In other words, the poster was bullshitting us. Thank you.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #70 of 84
Quote:

In other words, the poster was bullshitting us. Thank you.

i think he was referring to the usage data that showed the 5S sold at a 3 to 1 ratio with the 5C.  That would give the 5C opening weekend over 2 million units sold.  Do you know how many phones sold 2 million units+ in one weekend this year?

5S

5C

S4

post #71 of 84
Quote:

i think he was referring to the usage data that showed the 5S sold at a 3 to 1 ratio with the 5C.  That would give the 5C opening weekend over 2 million units sold.  Do you know how many phones sold 2 million units+ in one weekend this year?

5S

5C

S4

No, that is not what the poster said. The poster seemed to be referring to stats that showed a direct comparison to other manufacturers.

Oh, forget it. The rest of us know that the stats aren't available. You can believe whatever you wish.

[the funniest part about all of this is the fact that when I used the Localytics data to show that the 5c wasn't selling well in China (1:9 against the 5s) and Japan (1:8 against the 5s), this same poster, and a few others, were all over me saying that the Localytics data wasn't a reliable indicator of anything]

Edited by island hermit - 10/4/13 at 8:49am
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #72 of 84
Quote:

That's subject.

4 people out of 5 around me love it {iOS 7}.

It's also time dependent. When I first saw it, I didn't like it. After using it for a couple of days, I was completely neutral - not caring one way or the other. Now, I like it moderately well (I don't think I'll ever say it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I never get that excited about appearance, anyway).

Quote:

5S
5C
S4

Compound that with the fact that there are multiple analyses from multiple different sources. EVERY ONE has the 5C being a decent seller. The estimates range from 2 M to about 3.5 M. The carrier results listed (new AI thread) confirm that the 5C is selling well.

Now, it's possible that the inventory levels are a bit higher than they would ordinarily be right after launch, but if so, that's because the carriers over-ordered. Even if the low end of the range is correct (2 M), that's an incredible result for what's essentially last year's phone. If the carriers and retailers ordered more than that with the expectation that sales would be even better, then it's their fault. I can't imagine any rational process of thinking that it would be much better than that. Even at 2 M, it's in the top 10 phones of all time - and probably #1 of phones released using year old technology.

Anyone else in the world would kill to have a phone flop with 2 M sales in a weekend.

Oh, and btw, the argument that it's too close to the 5S price and so people are choosing the 5S instead is silly. Don't you think Apple would RATHER have people buying the high end phone? That's even better for Apple than if they bought the 5C.

Finally, the story on the 5C is still out. The 5S is one that's going to sell incredibly well at launch because it breaks new ground. The 5S is a style change of an existing phone, so I would expect its sales to be steadier with less of a peak. Whatever the 5S/5C demand was over the launch weekend, I would expect it to drop over time.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #73 of 84
Quote:

This is why the 5c is so different than the 4s when the 4s was in the mid-tier spot last year... the marketing. This is also the reason I believe that Apple had the 5c positioned as a volume seller. It was never meant to sell like previous phones in this position. It was built as a phone to increase volume.

I believe you're correct. What could be happening is Apple is experimenting with the price. If this promo works, we might see a price adjustment. They did this with the rMBP ($200 Best Buy gift cards) about a month before dropping the price of the entire product line.

I wasn't surprised the 5c wasn't a $350 phone. I was a bit surprised it was a $550 phone in its base form. I thought they'd use it as an opportunity to drop the 4s and sell a base version for $450 (perhaps with only 8GB), going to a two-device, rather than three-device strategy. They might yet do that. It seems clear that the 5c isn't cannibalizing the 5s. They have some room on pricing.

post #74 of 84
Quote:

I believe you're correct. What could be happening is Apple is experimenting with the price. If this promo works, we might see a price adjustment. They did this with the rMBP ($200 Best Buy gift cards) about a month before dropping the price of the entire product line.

I wasn't surprised the 5c wasn't a $350 phone. I was a bit surprised it was a $550 phone in its base form. I thought they'd use it as an opportunity to drop the 4s and sell a base version for $450 (perhaps with only 8GB), going to a two-device, rather than three-device strategy. They might yet do that. It seems clear that the 5c isn't cannibalizing the 5s. They have some room on pricing.

$450 would seem to be the price to get the 5c to really move. Some Chinese vendors have dropped their price to that equivalent and Virgin also started at that price.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #75 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Compound that with the fact that there are multiple analyses from multiple different sources. EVERY ONE has the 5C being a decent seller. The estimates range from 2 M to about 3.5 M. The carrier results listed (new AI thread) confirm that the 5C is selling well.

Now, it's possible that the inventory levels are a bit higher than they would ordinarily be right after launch, but if so, that's because the carriers over-ordered. Even if the low end of the range is correct (2 M), that's an incredible result for what's essentially last year's phone. If the carriers and retailers ordered more than that with the expectation that sales would be even better, then it's their fault.

Anyone else in the world would kill to have a phone flop with 2 M sales in a weekend.

Finally, the story on the 5C is still out. The 5S is one that's going to sell incredibly well at launch because it breaks new ground. The 5S is a style change of an existing phone, so I would expect its sales to be steadier with less of a peak. Whatever the 5S/5C demand was over the launch weekend, I would expect it to drop over time.

It depends on what Apple's goal is with the 5c. If it's just a way to sell "last year's phone" in an easier to manufacture, and cheaper way, then it succeeded. However, they did add the new Qualcomm chip expanding global LTE capabilities, and they are pushing it heavily through marketing, and so it's also entirely possible that they were looking to expand the market in and outside the US. If so, then it remains to be seen whether that will happen.

As for the carriers over-ordering, there are multiple possibilities. One is that they expected people to buy it in bigger numbers than the 4s last year because it was "new" (even though it's pretty obvious to even the average customer that it's essentially last year's iPhone). Another is that they knew they wouldn't have enough of the 5s and were hoping that they could "down-sell" the 5c to people who came in looking for the 5s (remember, the carriers couldn't care less which model you buy since they just want to get you to sign/extend a contract). If so, that doesn't appear to be happening.

post #76 of 84
Quote:

If Apple dropped the price before September 2014, they would be admitting they made a mistake. That's something Apple never does.

The most I expect is an entry level 8GB model released for $450 some time after the holidays. The 16GB and 32GB will remain the same price until the next iPhone is released.

They dropped the price of the original iPhone after 74 days. They also dropped the price of the 13" rMBP after 4 months. While I'm sure they will adjust their production numbers if the 5s is outselling the 5c (or outperforming its budget while the 5c underperforms), there's probably a limit to the number of 5s they can make. They'll want to sell the 5cs that they have. If it means the 5c is now "$49" instead of "$99" that may be a trade-off Apple is willing to make.

post #77 of 84

It looks more and more like Apple just overestimated demand at the $99 price point.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/04/walmart-drops-iphone-5c-pricing-to-45-on-contract-through-the-holidays/

post #78 of 84
Except ... it's a cheaper plastic version brought to you at no saving whatsoever.

I really, REALLY don’t think you comprehend what it is. It’s $100 less than the 5S. That’s the savings. It was never going to be anything other than what it is. It was never going to cost less than the 5 would have during the same timeframe. It is the mid-range phone from Apple. Just like every other phone before.

It looks more and more like Apple just overestimated demand at the $99 price point.

Looks more and more like you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #79 of 84
Quote:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/04/walmart-drops-iphone-5c-pricing-to-45-on-contract-through-the-holidays/

This is why the October stats will be important.

If the 5c drops to #3 or #4 in the 4 top carriers then we'll know a little more.

If the 5c stays in the #2 spot at AT&T and Sprint, and especially if it moves to #2 at Verizon and t-Mobile, then we'll know it's a solid seller.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #80 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Looks more and more like you don’t know what you’re talking about.

We'll find out in a month as Island Hermit points out, when we see where the 5c ranks at each of the carriers. It seems very unusual that this new, heavily marketed device is already being discounted while lots of people who ordered the iPhone 5s haven't even received it yet. I'm an AAPL shareholder. I want them to sell lots of the 5c. It just doesn't seem that it is selling as well as the 5s right now. Launch day is one thing (of course the 5c wouldn't be the phone that people waited in line for). But it's been all of 2 weeks now and the 5c is already on "sale." The logical explanation is that it isn't selling as well as Apple and the retailers would like.

They don't need a "promotion" to bring people into the store. The 5s is already doing that. Not even Wal-Mart will sell a phone as a loss leader.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Best Buy slashes iPhone 5c pricing to $50 with in-store gift cards