or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google takes its wearable Glass on the road with new 'Experience Tour'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google takes its wearable Glass on the road with new 'Experience Tour'

post #1 of 78
Thread Starter 
Google is taking Glass on the road, going across the U.S. to let people get their hands on its wearable device, and AppleInsider was on location at the first stop of the "Experience Tour," where enthusiasts got their first chance to see the world through Glass.

Glass


Google recently named Durham, N.C. as one of the technology hubs around North America that they're supporting. Soon after that announcement, Google brought Glass on tour to give larger numbers of people direct experience with the device.

For the event held last Friday, Google had employees called Google Guides on hand to put Glass on the heads of attendees and give people outside of the Google Glass Explorer program a chance to wear the headmounted computer. People attending were unsurprisingly curious and receptive to the idea of wearing Glass.

Glass


All attendees signed a waiver permitting them to be photographed before being admitted to the event. Glass is a headmounted photo and video camera, and privacy is still one of the concerns present ? it's hard for observers to discern quickly from a few feet whether they're being photographed.

Google conducted two events in Durham: An invitation-only event on Friday, and a second event on Saturday for the general public. Attendance was high for the public event, with the Bay 7 room full and lines out the door at times.

Glass


People who showed up were local entrepreneurs, local tech people. At the private event, U.S. Sen. Richard Burr and North Carolina State Sen. Dan Blue were present as well.

The Google Glass guides did a good job of explaining the device as people swiped at their temples or looked up to prompt Glass to wake up its display and view items. Guides taught people how to wake glass with a look up or saying "OK, Glass", how to perform a web search, or get turn by turn directions. There was also a photo booth so that attendees could take a picture of themselves wearing Glass.

Glass


Google really believes that Glass is for everyone. In one pitch, it was said Glass would work well for wearers with conductive hearing loss, as bone conduction speaker can be heard by people with this need. Google's Guides also mentioned there would possibly be an option for prescription lenses at some point.

Glass


Google provided displays showing all 5 glass colors, but Guides were carefully monitoring Glass displayers and making sure that none of the units were removed from the display, and only one person at a time had Glass on their heads.

Glass


None of this changes the fact that Glass requires you to say "OK, Glass" or tilt your head up 30 degrees to activate it, or that staring slightly up instead of at the people in front of you can be disconcerting.

In the past, I've only had Glass for myself, and frankly I didn't come away impressed. But thanks to Google's "Experience Tour," it was possible to see a future where people stare through each other, focusing on a display floating just above their eyes.
post #2 of 78

DOA.

 

Google will be last to see it.

post #3 of 78

AppleInsider got itself queued up there for Glass as if they were Apple products. Nice job AI. 

post #4 of 78
You guys should start a google insider site. You sure seem to post a lot about Google.
post #5 of 78
Oh great, more Glassholes. Do you have to make the public sign a waiver when this thing is release?
post #6 of 78
Quote... "All attendees signed a waiver permitting them to be photographed before being admitted to the event."

I'm guessing that was because a TV company is making a compilation of puzzled people slapping their foreheads, looking up at the ceiling and generally looking like idiots!
post #7 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

DOA.

Google will be last to see it.

It may be only a niche product at first but there's more than a few professionals that are excited about it. Once they're on board the general public will be more accepting of it too IMO.
http://mhadegree.org/will-google-glass-revolutionize-the-medical-industry/
http://readwrite.com/2013/06/07/google-glass-5-industries-it-will-change-forever#awesm=~ojBJsQq94CCBko
http://jalopnik.com/five-reasons-why-google-glass-could-be-great-for-gearhe-476333253
Edited by Gatorguy - 10/7/13 at 10:17am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #8 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Oh great, more Glassholes. Do you have to make the public sign a waiver when this thing is release?

 

I was thinking the same thing. It'll be called the "Google Glass World Waiver".

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #9 of 78

what a horrible looking device.  Even nerds are ashamed of wearing this in the wild.  I see limited use in business situations.  Best birth control device ever.

post #10 of 78

You too can experience looking like a douchbag with shit stuck to the side of your face.  I can't believe people think this is going to make them look cool, lol.

 

Wearable computing has a way to go yet before it won't make the wearer look like a complete dork.

post #11 of 78

Looking forward to a whole new genre of accident videos

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #12 of 78
Google Glass is amazing. The future. So many applications. As a composer I conducted a recording session with Glass I could see the score in front of me plus I could record video and show to people afterwards from a conductor's point of view how it looks. Also I paint and I put a portrait in front of me and painted. Also GPS function and Google translate helps when I am in a foreign country. A totally amazing product.
post #13 of 78
I saw someone wearing one the other day...they looked absolutely ridiculous. Google likes beating a dead horse don't they. If people don't like it, shove it down their throats and then they'll like it!

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #14 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylorouge View Post

Google Glass is amazing. The future. So many applications. As a composer I conducted a recording session with Glass I could see the score in front of me plus I could record video and show to people afterwards from a conductor's point of view how it looks. Also I paint and I put a portrait in front of me and painted. Also GPS function and Google translate helps when I am in a foreign country. A totally amazing product.

Didn't know Eric Schmidt posted on AI. 1biggrin.gif
post #15 of 78

I was there in Durham NC on Saturday.  The article is wrong in at least one point
They had up to 80 visitors wearing Glass at the same time in the room, not just one.  They never demoed the tilt-the-head trick to me.  Afterwards I was told you could turn your head to see menus but I didn't see that either,

 

There were several things that bugged me about the demo.
1. The bandwidth from the Glass to the Internet was so pathetic (and mismanaged) that most things didn't work.  Why didn't they have several WiFi channels with Ethernet support?  They seemed to be doing it via bluetooth to cellphones to LTE and since there were nearly 1000 cellphones in the immediate area being used by technophiles things didn't go well.  This was really bad because Google sales should have known this and now they will probably have this problem at every demo-site.  
2. They never demoed receiving text messages, or email or notifications of any kind which would seem to be the killer feature for me.  
3. They didn't show off how to view photos you'd already taken.  

 

There were several things that bugged me about the product.
1. From what I saw, you have to either talk to it or touch it for any manipulations.  There was no notion of controlling it from another device.
2. You either need local WIFI or a compatible app running on a bluetooth device in order to reach the internet.  
3. The audio is terrible compared to ear-buds on a smart-phone.  I couldn't hear it at all without cupping my hand over my ear. 

 

I learned a things I didn't know.
1. the display is very nice.
2. the device itself is much larger than it looks in the photos you get from google images.  There is a largish item hanging behind the ear which includes the speaker/bone thing and the USB connector. 
3. There are many images on the internet that are not of the current device
4. I was told that the device that will eventually be sold retail is the same one that we was demonstrated on Saturday
5. It charges through a micro USB connector.  I don't know what else it does with that connector (synching?)  

 

Things I'd like before I'd buy one.
1. Need to be able to see what is on my phone's screen from the Glass, i.e. stream like airplay to the glass.
2. Needs to work with iPhone or as stand-alone, i.e. I'm not going to get an Android phone.
3. Needs to be able to take input from other device like cellphone or watch.  How about a tiny band with accelerometer on my wrist or ring-finger?

 

The article didn't mention the excellent food available after the demo.  Great meatballs, cake, cookies, fancy alcohol-free drinks.  

 

Other notes:

It would be nice if I could add glass-specific web pages to my server, much like we have Mobile-specific web pages now.  


Edited by tadd - 10/7/13 at 8:58am
post #16 of 78
They look autistic to me. Could also be Durham residents.

On a more serious note, I don't think this will be for the general public, as much as Google would like it to become. At $1400 it's not for everyone. Maybe they should pop in a SIM card, and sell it through a telco on subscription basis.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #17 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

what a horrible looking device....Best birth control device ever.

Yep, right up there with the Toyota Corolla! :)

post #18 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadd View Post


Things I'd like before I'd buy one.
2. Needs to work with iPhone or as stand-alone, i.e. I'm not going to get an Android phone.

Google Glass already works with iPhones. I've never seen Google Glass so not sure about the other two.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #19 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

DOA.

Google will be last to see it.

It may be only a niche product at first but there's more than a few professionals that are excited about it. Once they're on board the general public will be more accepting of it too IMO.
http://mhadegree.org/will-google-glass-revolutionize-the-medical-industry/
http://jalopnik.com/five-reasons-why-google-glass-could-be-great-for-gearhe-476333253
http://jalopnik.com/five-reasons-why-google-glass-could-be-great-for-gearhe-476333253

I have no doubt that it will find some niche uses.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylorouge View Post

Google Glass is amazing. The future. So many applications. As a composer I conducted a recording session with Glass I could see the score in front of me plus I could record video and show to people afterwards from a conductor's point of view how it looks. Also I paint and I put a portrait in front of me and painted. Also GPS function and Google translate helps when I am in a foreign country. A totally amazing product.

You forgot the '/s' tag.

post #20 of 78
Why diss in everything google does? I don't get it. This is not a bad product for a first iteration. Other companies can make good products too IMHO.
post #21 of 78
I can't really see it ever taking off...does anyone actually want to wear one of these things? Kudos to Google for trying something new but if this ever becomes mass market, I'll eat my hat...
post #22 of 78
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #23 of 78
Originally Posted by stylorouge View Post
Google Glass is amazing. The future. So many applications.

 

“Such amaze, so future”, huh? :no:

 
As a composer I conducted a recording session with Glass I could see the score in front of me…

 

It’s called a stand. Been around for centuries.

 
…plus I could record video and show to people afterwards from a conductor’s point of view how it looks.

 

And vomit from the motion of your head.

 
Also I paint and I put a portrait in front of me and painted.

 

Google Glass: We cheated, now you can do it, too.

 
Also GPS function and Google translate helps when I am in a foreign country.

 

So does a GPS or any smartphone.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #24 of 78
Wow, lots of hate up in here... These people look no more dumb than anyone staring down at their smartphone.
post #25 of 78
Now Google just needs to invent a waiver form that pops up out of thin air in every public space %u2013 privacy issue solved!
Better yet, instead of saying "cheeeese" for a photo, people could say "Gooooogle" and Glass could apply the auto-blur technology that Maps uses, to any face in a video/photo that didn't say "Google"
post #26 of 78

Hi Tadd, 

 

At the Friday event one visitor per Guide was allowed to wear glass at a time. The Saturday event had higher attendance and more attendees were wearing it at a given point in time.

 

Reviewing photos involves swiping on the temple trackpad. Deleting them is a tap and swipe down.

 

Glass originally only worked with iPhone as a Bluetooth headset and email device (provided you enabled Personal Hotspot on the phone.) Since they've changed it to have greater independence over Wi-Fi, it's supposed to be possible to Navigate without having it paired to an Android device with the Glass app installed. 

 

Emails and Text notifications arrive on it and a tap lets you read them more fully. What I found is that dictating a reply invisibly attaches a signature "sent from Google Glass" which some recipients found pretentious. 

 

I also found that plugging my ears with my fingers worked better than cupping my ears to hear what Glass was trying to tell me.

 

You're correct, you have to talk to it or tap it to interact with it. Controlling it from an app is not possible.

 

It will get internet from Wi-Fi or Bluetooth on an Android device and works with an iPhone using personal hotspot. The iPhone doesn't have a Glass app, so it's possible to use Glass for internet with iPhone.

 

The largish thing behind the ear is the battery.

 

The MicroUSB connector is normally power-only, or for flashing the device if you wanted to load a modified firmware. Sync takes place over wi-fi, and it requires photographing a QR code to associate with a google account in order to sync personal information over wi-fi.

 

I'm not sure what images you see on the internet that aren't of the current device - the device hasn't changed since they shipped it to Explorers in May or June.

 

Commenting on the food didn't seem important, although I would like to point out that the Friday event had beer, wine and cocktails service. Apparently, Saturday attendees got stiffed on those beverages?

post #27 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Wow, lots of hate up in here... These people look no more dumb than anyone staring down at their smartphone.

People can put their phones away. With Glass, you wouldn't know if the Glasshole is paying attention to you or not. Like those peeps with bluetooths always in their ears.
post #28 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Wow, lots of hate up in here... These people look no more dumb than anyone staring down at their smartphone.

Yup.   Remember how all the Apple loyalists though that having a 4" phone made you look like you were carrying around a giant brick?  Those same people are now saying that Apple invented the 4" phone.  Now they say that anything over 4" is too big.   Guess what tune they will be singing when Apple releases a 4"+ phone?   It's the same thing when the rumours were abound that Apple was going to release a cheaper plastic iPhone.  "NO WAY THEY WOULD EVER DO THIS", "Apple has standards" and "Nope. Wrong." were the comments.  Those same people are now saying that Apple invented polycarbonate for phones and that the 5c is now one of the natural wonders of the world.  You'll know who the posters are as they tend to say the same thing over and over.

 

So the best thing to do is just ignore the hate comments where people get very angry at Google for any reason and instead focus on the news and talk about the actual articles.  

 

Frankly, I think the product is pretty neat and it is a definite first step towards the next thing.  I don't think the watch is the market to be.  Don't like the Pebble or any of the other smart watch innovators and I doubt the iWatch is going to sway me to replace my watch.   Glass though has definite promise and as other have mentioned, I can definitely see wearing it certain situations.  All the time?  I'll have to wait and see how it performs.

post #29 of 78
Originally Posted by alienzed View Post
These people look no more dumb than anyone staring down at their smartphone.

 

Talk about stupidity.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #30 of 78

A.k.a. "How To Look Like A Ridiculous Nerd" Tour - what a train wreck.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
post #31 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoformat View Post

Quote... "All attendees signed a waiver permitting them to be photographed before being admitted to the event."

I'm guessing that was because a TV company is making a compilation of puzzled people slapping their foreheads, looking up at the ceiling and generally looking like idiots!

 Actually the waiver is because they plan to violate your personal privacy and since you might not be a gmail or other google product user where you signed away any right to privacy you might think you had they had to make sure their bases were covered.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


It may be only a niche product at first but there's more than a few professionals that are excited about it. Once they're on board the general public will be more accepting of it too IMO.
http://mhadegree.org/will-google-glass-revolutionize-the-medical-industry/
http://readwrite.com/2013/06/07/google-glass-5-industries-it-will-change-forever#awesm=~ojBJsQq94CCBko
http://jalopnik.com/five-reasons-why-google-glass-could-be-great-for-gearhe-476333253

 Of course there are people out there who think it a good product or idea. There were lots of people in the 1950's who thought using an x-ray machine to view your feet while trying on new shoes was a great idea as well, but we found out it was bad for your health.

post #32 of 78

This picture says it all. Every person I have seen so far using these looks like this women her eye are off in different direction and she is struggling to use it, it not something natural to do. She just looks in pain.

 


Edited by Maestro64 - 10/7/13 at 1:44pm
post #33 of 78

I can practically smell the fear on these forums.  A company has made a unique and innovative product, albeit a first generation model with kinks to be smoothed out over time, and Apple has no competing product on the radar that we are aware of.  Glass is definitely opening the door to a new category of computers that will be commonplace in the next 10 years as the technology evolves and becomes more consumer-friendly.

 

Let your fear melt away!  Apple will have their own glasses for you to wear.  In the meantime, enjoy the debut of a Google product that is futuristic, does not infringe on the design of any Apple product, and defines a new category of devices.  Or is that what you're all so scared of?  That now Apple will clearly have to "copy" from Google to enter this market?  That Google is the first without question?  That there weren't even any attempts to make a product like this until Google made it and now Google has wide public recognition of its status as the first mover?  Eh, that's not too scary.  They probably won't sue Apple when it makes its own iGlasses.

post #34 of 78
I swear to GOD, I will smack in the face anyone trying to talk to me with one of those stupid things on.

Be warned.
post #35 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Of course there are people out there who think it a good product or idea. There were lots of people in the 1950's who thought using an x-ray machine to view your feet while trying on new shoes was a great idea as well, but we found out it was bad for your health.

There were lots of people who dissed the iPad and the iPhone. They're dissing an iWatch and iTV while still vaporware. Perhaps you even remember claims that the iPhone might cause brain tumors.

So yeah perhaps you do have a point. A new technology/product can be successful in spite of naysayers, the unimaginative, or those afraid of doing things in a new way.
Edited by Gatorguy - 10/7/13 at 11:19am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #36 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy2shoes View Post

Remember how all the Apple loyalists though that having a 4" phone made you look like you were carrying around a giant brick?
Remember how people said that about the original iphone? Apple made the phone smaller when they made the screen bigger for a reason. What do you think that could be?

Quote:
Those same people are now saying that Apple invented the 4" phone.  Now they say that anything over 4" is too big.   Guess what tune they will be singing when Apple releases a 4"+ phone?
Apple did manage to make the best 4" screen phone out there, judging by demand. If some people want to guess apple will not release a phone with a comparable form factor to current 5"/6" phones, they might be right. You seem to saying they definitely will, which seems equally naive.

Quote:
It's the same thing when the rumours were abound that Apple was going to release a cheaper plastic iPhone.  "NO WAY THEY WOULD EVER DO THIS", "Apple has standards" and "Nope. Wrong." were the comments.  Those same people are now saying that Apple invented polycarbonate for phones and that the 5c is now one of the natural wonders of the world.
Are those actual quotes!?! I haven't seen anyone's correct prediction of the 5C, other than that it would come in the leaked plastic back. The analysts and commenters that claimed Apple needed to release it to replace the 4S price-point to compete with Android were completely wrong.

Quote:
...the best thing to do is just ignore the hate comments where people get very angry
Maybe I should have...

Quote:
...at Google for any reason...
So there is no valid reason to be angry at Google? Ok.

Quote:
...and instead focus on the news and talk about the actual articles.

Frankly, I think the product is pretty neat and it is a definite first step towards the next thing.
Ok so you like something about it. What?

Quote:
I don't think the watch is the market to be.  Don't like the Pebble or any of the other smart watch innovators and I doubt the iWatch is going to sway me to replace my watch.
Nothing to do with the article, but it's interesting that you wear a watch and wouldn't replace it with something more functional if the opportunity arose, but would wear this on your face...

Quote:
Glass though has definite promise and as other have mentioned, I can definitely see wearing it certain situations.  All the time?  I'll have to wait and see how it performs.
... but even then not really.

So this was just trolling then.
post #37 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

I can practically smell the fear on these forums...

...Apple will have their own glasses for you to wear.  In the meantime, enjoy the debut of a Google product that is futuristic, does not infringe on the design of any Apple product, and defines a new category of devices.  Or is that what you're all so scared of?  That now Apple will clearly have to "copy" from Google to enter this market?  That Google is the first without question?  That there weren't even any attempts to make a product like this until Google made it and now Google has wide public recognition of its status as the first mover?  Eh, that's not too scary.  They probably won't sue Apple when it makes its own iGlasses.

Um, no.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/159442/apple-worked-on-google-glass-like-device-decided-it-wasnt-worth-it

Why would anyone be afraid? Seems like an odd thing to say. It doesn't compete with anything from Apple in any way. People think these things are weird and have no current practical application for them. How is that hard to comprehend?
post #38 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

I can practically smell the fear on these forums.  A company has made a unique and innovative product, albeit a first generation model with kinks to be smoothed out over time, and Apple has no competing product on the radar that we are aware of.  Glass is definitely opening the door to a new category of computers that will be commonplace in the next 10 years as the technology evolves and becomes more consumer-friendly.

Let your fear melt away!  Apple will have their own glasses for you to wear.  In the meantime, enjoy the debut of a Google product that is futuristic, does not infringe on the design of any Apple product, and defines a new category of devices.  Or is that what you're all so scared of?  That now Apple will clearly have to "copy" from Google to enter this market?  That Google is the first without question?  That there weren't even any attempts to make a product like this until Google made it and now Google has wide public recognition of its status as the first mover?  Eh, that's not too scary.  They probably won't sue Apple when it makes its own iGlasses.

The only thing we fear is Losing our privacy with Google.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

There were lots of people who dissed the iPad and the iPhone. They're dissing an iWatch and iTV while still vaporware. Perhaps you even remember claims that the iPhone might cause brain tumors.

So yeah perhaps you do have a point. A new technology/product can be successful in spite of naysayers, the unimaginative, or those afraid of doing things in a new way.

Hardly vaporware as nothing was announced.
post #39 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by focuspuller View Post

I swear to GOD, I will smack in the face anyone trying to talk to me with one of those stupid things on.



Be warned.

 



Lol okay, but if you slap me I will press charges.

I hope Google ends up getting this right. I can see some cool uses for Glass, especially if it can interface seamlessly with my iPhone. It would be really nice to be able to read and respond to texts, for example. Like others, my main concern would be folks taking photos of you that you're unaware of. Would be too easy to do.
post #40 of 78
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... or that staring slightly up instead of at the people in front of you can be disconcerting.

 

Not to mention creepy.  Zombie-like.

 

I wonder when the first #Glasshole will sue Google for causing them to step into an open manhole.

Or for causing them to get hit by a bus.  It's bound to happen.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google takes its wearable Glass on the road with new 'Experience Tour'