or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung ad gets applause for copying Apple?s iPhone spot from 2007

Samsung ad gets applause for copying Apple?s iPhone spot from 2007

post #1 of 101
Critics have broadly panned Samsung?s initial efforts to deliver a Galaxy Gear "smart watch,? but there's accolades for the product's commercial, which is closely patterned after an ad Apple commissioned at the introduction of the original iPhone in 2007.

Galaxy Gear on parade

In one example, Brad Reed of BGR wrote today that "Samsung?s Galaxy Gear ad is cooler than the actual watch," noting that "critics may have savaged Samsung?s first Galaxy Gear smartwatch but that hasn?t stopped the company?s crack marketing team from churning out a terrific ad that?s much cleverer than the device itself."

Yesterday, Devindra Hardawar of Venture Beat similarly observed "Galaxy Gear commercials are brilliant ads for a terrible product," while Steve Kovach mused in his Business Insider blog that "the Galaxy Gear, may be getting poor reviews, but the commercials for the gadget are pretty sweet."

Samsung's Gear isn't really a futuristic wrist-phone like the images from TV shows and movies depicted in its ad. Instead, it is essentially a $300 Bluetooth headset strapped to the wrist and outfitted with a camera and display. The device requires a user to also carry a Note 3 phablet for it to work at all.

Further, Samsung's "terrific ad" is actually a copy of the "Hello" spot Apple debuted at the 2007 Oscars (below) introducing the first iPhone, as noted by Obama Pacman.

Obama Pacman ad comparison
Source: Obama Pacman

This year, Apple's "Greetings" ad (below) for the iPhone 5c presents a similar montage of global characters answering the phone, but the people in it are not depicted as cartoons or celebrities.

Obama Pacman also presented previous examples of Samsung looking to Apple for marketing "inspiration," such as in creating virtually identical ads for its own versions of the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 in 2011.
post #2 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Critics have broadly panned Samsung
5 Word Article. WTF!
post #3 of 101

I see a HUGE lawsuit coming. The kind that will put Sumscum out of business ONCE and FOR ALL. They are really going down the wrong path with this one. This is infringement.

post #4 of 101

Great article.  A must read!

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #5 of 101
Five words, but they are at least true.
post #6 of 101
So that's why I enjoyed the ad. It reminded me of something great. Unfortunately the product reveal ruined it. Can Sammy not copy Apple in anything? Fix your screw heads!
post #7 of 101
I was never a good English student but I did not think "cleverer" was a word as used by Brad Reed.
post #8 of 101
5 words, yet not one bit of punctuation.
post #9 of 101

Samsung copies <insert words here> from Apple.  Is this news anymore?

post #10 of 101
Nice of Samsung to package up all the prior art for this. Hope they don't try and patent anything.
post #11 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC View Post

I see a HUGE lawsuit coming. The kind that will put Sumscum out of business ONCE and FOR ALL. They are really going down the wrong path with this one. This is infringement.

Absolutely not! This is one area where Samsung can take from Apple without actually stealing any IP. Furthermore, it's the one area that Apple's competitors oddly don't take from Apple when they should. This ad isn't nearly as good as Apple's original iPhone ad but it's pretty damn good for Samsung.

PS: I thought Samsung wasn' going to push this watch. I thought it was just a shipping proof-of-concept for the few idiots that would buy it. This ad says otherwise.
Edited by akqies - 10/7/13 at 10:18am
post #12 of 101
It is becoming all too apparent that on an evolutionary scale, Samsung is nothing but a leech.

What does this say about it's followers, I am not certain.
post #13 of 101
"I'm on my way... to the gym to bulk up so I can lift that watch."

post #14 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post

Samsung copies <insert words here> from Apple.  Is this news anymore?

i know.  the real news would be if Samesung did not copy Apple.  I will _never_ buy a product with a Samesung logo on it and i will continue to encourage everyone i know to do the same. Friends don't let friends Samesung!

post #15 of 101

I give points to Samsung for coming up with both a watch and an ad.

Would I buy it?  No.  Do I know anyone who says they want to buy it?  No.

"Hello" was about connecting with other people but in a new way.

I'm not sure what the Sammy watch is about.  It feels like the watch exists to tell my Sammy phone what to do.

What new thing can I do with the watch?  What does it let me do?

Does it look cool?  If so, show me.

That's what the commercial should have demonstrated.  Lol why didn't Samsung contact me for ideas!?  Yeah yeah, because I don't know what I'm talking about.  *Agree*

post #16 of 101

I think Samsung both wants to gain a huge chunk of the smart watch marketshare as well as take away from the massive WOW factor when Apple finally releases their product, which may not come out for another year.

post #17 of 101
Apple's original iPhone commercial was very clear, it's a phone. Samsung's is confusing, I still don't understand what the device does, apart from time and weather, the clips they showed could never be performed by the device they sell.

That's what you get from a completely uninspired company, it's just not the same as the original. Besides, I still can't see watches being anything more than fashion statements, Rolex, Swatch, etc. I don't see myself buying a Samsung or an Apple watch, unless one makes a large enough variety like Swatch. But then again, not everyone like Swatch, business people may prefer something more traditional or conservative.
Edited by bloggerblog - 10/7/13 at 10:44am
bb
bb
post #18 of 101
Samsung: An electronics company with neither morals, humility or a sense of fair play. They built their company on the endeavours of others and to the detriment of all, basically a parasite.
post #19 of 101
I think Samesung wants to pretend apple is following them more so than actually selling watches with this commercial.

Although, I don't think apple would ever tie one of their products to power rangers, David hassellhoff, or even Star Trek. Also, when apple releases their version, it will look much better than this and do more things, and they'll have to copy much of that. Making changes to a highly marketed item will essentially broadcast their change of direction. I don't see samsung escaping their current trajectory at this point.
post #20 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brayden View Post

It is becoming all too apparent that on an evolutionary scale, Samsung is nothing but a leech.

What does this say about it's followers, I am not certain.

Whenever news like this comes out, I always wander over to cnet or theverge and read fandroid comments there for sheer fun -- it never disappoints!

There is no cognitive dissonance in their world.

post #21 of 101
Apart from the timing in Samsung's ad being completely off comparatively, the ad also differe in one substantial way: whilst the iPhone ad showed something fresh and new and better in many ways than the old thing everyone has used before, the Samsung ad shows something that is an old idea, executed less well (than it is depicted fictionally) that noone has ever used before.

Without any evidence that anyone will ever want to talk to their wrist other than to give the impression they are a somewhat-aged spy type, this is clearly a flop. The device is too.
post #22 of 101

Sue ‘em. Don’t care why.

post #23 of 101

Speaking of copying, or rather copyright, I wonder how much time it took to obtain the rights to reuse all of those clips.

post #24 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC View Post

I think Samsung both wants to gain a huge chunk of the smart watch marketshare as well as take away from the massive WOW factor when Apple finally releases their product, which may not come out for another year.

Yeah, except it won't do that. In fact the gear is so crappy it will make any watch Apple releases (if they do) look far better by comparison. Like the MS Slate nonsense, they tried to enter the market before Apple defined it for them.
post #25 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Speaking of copying, or rather copyright, I wonder how much time it took to obtain the rights to reuse all of those clips.

We first have to assume Samsung took the time to obtain rights for all those clips. That's a pretty hard to accept without question* considering Samsung's history.

* What's the appropriate Latn? Sine dubitatione or irrefragabiliter?
post #26 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

PS: I thought Samsung wasn' going to push this watch. I thought it was just a shipping proof-of-concept for the few idiots that would buy it. This ad says otherwise.

The one thing the ad does not make very clear is that their watch only works with the Note 3 at this time. Sure, there's the tiny print at the end of the ad but I can see people buying this thing only to find out they can't use it with their S3s or S4s.

post #27 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

The one thing the ad does not make very clear is that their watch only works with the Note 3 at this time. Sure, there's the tiny print at the end of the ad but I can see people buying this thing only to find out they can't use it with their S3s or S4s.

Word is that Android 4.3x will roll out to S3's and S4's sometime in the next week or two, enabling those devices with Sammy's watch too. We'll see if it happens.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #28 of 101

What's an Obama PacMan? :err:

Anyway, this Samsung ad is truly pathetic, and I would expect no less from a bunch of talentless hacks, serial copycats and criminals. Fandroids absolutely disgust me and I equate Android as being worse than garbage. 

And that watch of theirs is a big joke, it's butt ugly, it's getting slammed in all reviews, and it's not going to sell well.

post #29 of 101
Quote:

1) Did they obtain the rights?

2) And why is there a camera on the phone when carrying a Note 3 is mandatory?

Don't answer those; time will tell.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #30 of 101

The woman modeling the Galaxy Gear on the ad is actually a basketball player.  She is 6'4" and makes the watch look smaller than it should. 

Also the watches in the movie clips you much cooler than the Gear. LOL.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
post #31 of 101
What do u expect from a company run by a crook!

Steal , copy, bribe, mislead
post #32 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

1) Did they obtain the rights?

2) And why is there a camera on the phone when carrying a Note 3 is mandatory?

Don't answer those; time will tell.

Number 2 I can answer. Samsung, like other myopic vendors, think adding features is more important than adding usability.
post #33 of 101
They can't even make a commercial on their own without copying it.
post #34 of 101

I wonder how things go during Samsung meetings.. "Hey, let's copy that Apple <insert Apple product>".

post #35 of 101
Quote:

Who said Sammy even obtained the rights?
post #36 of 101
Shameless. That's all I can say. Just Shameless. A company with absolutely no ethics or pride.
post #37 of 101
Apple does all the work, Samesung reaps reward by copying everything Apple. I strongly believe Samsung assumes Apple would use this type of Ad for the new iWatch and decided to take it for themselves. Typical Samesung...heh.
post #38 of 101

Samsung could get mileage by reviving the "Intel Inside" ads, as in "Samsung Inside" the iPhone.

Cubist
Cubist
post #39 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Yeah, except it won't do that. In fact the gear is so crappy it will make any watch Apple releases (if they do) look far better by comparison. Like the MS Slate nonsense, they tried to enter the market before Apple defined it for them.

TheVerge, a site that is basically sponsored by Samsung (MASSIVE Samsung paged sized ads all the time) gave the Galaxy gear a 4/10. So yeah, the product is complete shit, a under-developed product that was rushed to market so secure the FIRST! label, a cynical move by a company that doesnt take pride in their products, doesnt respect their consumers, and doesnt give a shit about producing something of quality. 

post #40 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by city View Post

Samsung could get mileage by reviving the "Intel Inside" ads, as in "Samsung Inside" the iPhone.

Not really. The A7 is an Apple chip, it's Apple designed, and Samsung just happens to be the bums that manufacture some stuff for Apple.

Samsung can not put an A7 chip in their Android phones, as it's not their chip, and that's why the iPhone blows away all Android phones.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung ad gets applause for copying Apple?s iPhone spot from 2007