or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung ad gets applause for copying Apple?s iPhone spot from 2007

Samsung ad gets applause for copying Apple?s iPhone spot from 2007 - Page 2

post #41 of 101

If by "next big thing", they're referring to that giant turd that they think people will want to wear on their wrists, then yeah, it's the next big thing.

post #42 of 101
As unoriginal as it gets. But it doesn't matter because people are fooled.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #43 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by city View Post

Samsung could get mileage by reviving the "Intel Inside" ads, as in "Samsung Inside" the iPhone.

Great idea. Let Apple win another billion dollar lawsuit against Samsung.

In spite of widespread rumors, there is no official confirmation that Samsung makes the chip inside the iPhone. If Samsung were to announce that, they'd violate the NDA which is undoubtedly in place - and give Apple another victory in court.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #44 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post

Samsung copies from Apple.  Is this news anymore?

It is on AppleInsider. DED can't stop.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #45 of 101
Quote:

Samsung could get mileage by reviving the "Intel Inside" ads, as in "Samsung Inside" the iPhone.

Except Intel gets permission. Oh, we're talking about Sammy here ...
post #46 of 101
Quote:

Right. Because Apple participates in the "Intel Inside" co-branding program. Oh wait: they don't. Keep dreaming.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #47 of 101

The ad would be way cooler if the Samsung girl didn't seem like such a bore. Does it take a great ad agency to copy like this? I dunt think so.

I'm impressed they got the screws all aligned.

Samsung is doing a great job of demonstrating how they operate by copying and feeding off the inspiration and creativity of others. Buyers of the Gear will learn this all too well.

post #48 of 101

After iWatch is introduced, Samsung will be inspired by Apple to put out the right phone.

post #49 of 101
It's sad that Samsung had no real interest to release a great product but instead just wanted to release something so they can say "we did it first" in case Apple ever figures out how to do it right.
post #50 of 101

Note to Samsung: you know the Nike guy that Apple just hired? He's a shoe guy--you totally missed it with the watch.

[Next month: Samsung ad featuring Maxwell Smart talking into his shoe--the next big thing.]

post #51 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Great idea. Let Apple win another billion dollar lawsuit against Samsung.

In spite of widespread rumors, there is no official confirmation that Samsung makes the chip inside the iPhone. If Samsung were to announce that, they'd violate the NDA which is undoubtedly in place - and give Apple another victory in court.

Maybe not. Apparently Apple still needs Samsung to fabricate the chips and would not want to alienate them any further. Also, apparently the NDA is just somewhat meaningless. We know that lawsuits take years, damages are difficult to prove and get reduced. While that is going on, the public become convinced that Apple just buys components from Samsung. Samsung ultimately wins market and mind share.

Cubist
Cubist
post #52 of 101
Quote:

Or put Qualcomm Inside on their own phones.
post #53 of 101
Since when is an un-creative, derivative, deliberate concept rip-off cool? It may be legally okay for Apple competitors to do this, but it's certainly not good for the viability of advertising content makers. This ad agency will be lucky to get any future clients.

What's next Samsung?

I hear Anya Major (from the 1984 commercial) is available!
post #54 of 101
Quote:

Intel created "Intel Inside" as a way for PC makers to brand their computers as having branded components customers were looking for because Intel was advertising the brand itself. Apple never branded Macs has “Intel Inside” and never put Intel stickers on them.

Samsung could spend a lot of money advertising its components as a brand, but it doesn’t make much money on its component business. Most of its business comes from mobile, and almost all of that comes from smartphones. Advertising “Samsung Inside” would be a problem for Samsung because:

A) the most popular phone, from Apple, wouldn’t brand itself as Samsung Inside

B) Samsung Inside would effectively transfer the value of its branding to competitors using Samsung parts rather than its own phones

C) A large percentage of Samsung’s flagship phones don’t use Samsung application processors, they use a Qualcomm Snapdragon

post #55 of 101

I'm also curious if James Murphy actually licensed that LCD Soundsystem track to Samsung or if it's a special close approximation Samsung version.

post #56 of 101
Note how ObamaPacman uses Comic Sans for the Samsung Galaxy Gear!
post #57 of 101

They could hire the Green Man Group…

… and reenact the Pentium 4 commercial (except with a 5 instead of 4) for the next Galaxy phone.

post #58 of 101

Maybe Apple should 'leak' some fake products to Samsung and see what comes out the other end...

post #59 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC View Post

I see a HUGE lawsuit coming. The kind that will put Sumscum out of business ONCE and FOR ALL. They are really going down the wrong path with this one. This is infringement.

This doesn't really make sense. I suspect you're venting, but there is no way to patent a commercial. The clips you see displayed involve licensed content. Their ad agency would have secured the rights to use each clip. I am not even aware of any kind of anti-plagiarism suit that could come from just depicting a similar style and licensing similar footage. We aren't talking about the unlicensed use of any of this content or any trademark owned by Apple. Beyond that what impact does this have on either you or Apple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC View Post

I think Samsung both wants to gain a huge chunk of the smart watch marketshare as well as take away from the massive WOW factor when Apple finally releases their product, which may not come out for another year.

Not everyone really follows this stuff so closely.

post #60 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Not really. The A7 is an Apple chip, it's Apple designed, and Samsung just happens to be the bums that manufacture some stuff for Apple.

Samsung can not put an A7 chip in their Android phones, as it's not their chip, and that's why the iPhone blows away all Android phones.

As if Apple needs the A7 to do that....hehe

post #61 of 101
Samsung should reach there limits on things, to bad watches are in (ugh) and tv's arent, because we are buying a TV.
post #62 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenlbrown View Post

Maybe Apple should 'leak' some fake products to Samsung and see what comes out the other end...

Isn't market reaction bad enough when real product leaks happen?

We have no certainty of an "iWatch" or "Apple TV" release and there are analysts predicting missed product-release dates and shipment quantity shortfalls -- before we even know the reality of any primary features announced.
post #63 of 101
Quote:

Maybe not. Apparently Apple still needs Samsung to fabricate the chips and would not want to alienate them any further.

Yeah, Apple would never sue Samsung. /s
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #64 of 101

Watching the ad over the weekend, I got the impression that the actual display on the device was not being shown in the ads.  It looked like they had faked the screenshots.   It was too hard to read all the fine print in the disclaimers to see if they mentioned that.

post #65 of 101
Quote:

While that is going on, the public become convinced that Apple just buys components from Samsung. Samsung ultimately wins market and mind share.

Dream on. Samsung hasn't got half the mindshare or brand cachet that Apple does, even if they sell more handsets by unit count.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #66 of 101
Not sure why they used a wrist communicator in some Star Trek movies. The communicator you usually see is the classic pocket-device.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #67 of 101

What a joke!!!!

The best thing about the Samesung's Gear is their "Crack marketing team's"  "innovative" advert  which COPIES APPLE'S 6 year old iPhone Advert...LOL...LOL....LOL

Samesung just can't stop themselves from copying Apple...It's in their DNA....LOL

I suppose "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" 

But I just wish they would copy some the good things about Apple ....like NOT CHEATING in benchmark tests....Why don't any of their "Crack marketing Team" warn Samsung that there is no surer way to destroy what's left of their tattered Brand Image than being branded a liar and a cheat - Shame on YOU Shamesung.

post #68 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Not sure why they used a wrist communicator in some Star Trek movies. The communicator you usually see is the classic pocket-device.

I missed the "Beam me up Scotty" feature on a Shamesung Gear...LOL

post #69 of 101

I sometimes wonder if Apple's iWatch isn't necessarily a dedicated watch but rather a wearable device that happens to serve as a watch...

post #70 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communicator_(Star_Trek)

"Wrist-worn communicators were used in Star Trek: The Motion Picture and remained in use by some Starfleet installations and vessels during the time of The Wrath of Khan. However, the traditional handheld communicator returned in later films. The reason for the switch was not explained, but the non-canon source Mister Scott's Guide to the Enterprise offered the explanation that Starfleet discontinued use of the wrist-worn communicators when they were determined to be prone to repeated failures after suffering minor impacts."
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #71 of 101
Quote:

You can't seriously believe that Samsung could ever put "Samsung Inside' stickers on the iPhone.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

post #72 of 101
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post
You can't seriously believe that Samsung could ever put "Samsung Inside' stickers on the iPhone.

He’s saying they could run ads touting the fact that Samsung-made processors are in the iPhone.

Except it’s probably forbidden in their contract.

post #73 of 101

Looking at the image below, can anybody tell me if the focus is on the devices that Samsung proudly claims are so innovative, or whether it's on the little egotistical twit up on stage?

That's right.

There is only one correct answer.

If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
post #74 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Looking at the image below, can anybody tell me if the focus is on the devices that Samsung proudly claims are so innovative, or whether it's on the little egotistical twit up on stage?

That's right.

There is only one correct answer.

Excellent point. I can't recall Apple making the focus on the presenter on screen over the product.
post #75 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

Absolutely not! This is one area where Samsung can take from Apple without actually stealing any IP. Furthermore, it's the one area that Apple's competitors oddly don't take from Apple when they should. This ad isn't nearly as good as Apple's original iPhone ad but it's pretty damn good for Samsung.

PS: I thought Samsung wasn' going to push this watch. I thought it was just a shipping proof-of-concept for the few idiots that would buy it. This ad says otherwise.

Actually, in this case, the ad agency that created the original ad can sue the agency and the company that commissioned the new commercial due to copyright infringement. Happened recently when fashion photographer David LaChapelle sued Rhianna (and won) for a music video she had that was a blatant copy of concept he created in a photograph.

post #76 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

This doesn't really make sense. I suspect you're venting, but there is no way to patent a commercial. 

No, but it's copyright infringement.

post #77 of 101
Wow. Samsung's mobile division is really a sad, sad place to be. Not even enough smarts to come up with an original ad? Prior to this, being exposed by tech sites as having artificially juiced up their smart phones' performance scores? Cheats... copycats... anything for market share. Hard to believe some people still reward this company by buying their phones. Who's the lemming now?
post #78 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

Actually, in this case, the ad agency that created the original ad can sue the agency and the company that commissioned the new commercial due to copyright infringement. Happened recently when fashion photographer David LaChapelle sued Rhianna (and won) for a music video she had that was a blatant copy of concept he created in a photograph.

Sure, anyone can sue anyone, but I'm not seeing the outright copyright infringement unless you have proof of the concept of using old clips as being owned by Apple or the ad agency they used.
post #79 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

No, but it's copyright infringement.

Ever dealt with rights management? I have very little background in it. I've had  to deal with sourcing artwork and stuff in the very distant past, but that wouldn't go anywhere. Copyright laws do not exactly protect you against someone else making something similar. They protect against someone duplicating the work with certain limitations. Can I ask what led you suggest this as something feasible?

As for all the tv clips, their ad agency would deal with usage fees associated with any of them. Samsung would just write a check.

post #80 of 101

The ad needs a big disclaimer:

WARNING OPERATION REQUIRES COMPATIBLE SAMSUNG PHABLET SOLD SEPARATELY.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung ad gets applause for copying Apple?s iPhone spot from 2007