or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google's Schmidt says Android more secure than the iPhone

Google's Schmidt says Android more secure than the iPhone

post #1 of 213
Google chair Eric Schmidt raised eyebrows and got a few unintentional laughs on Monday when he said that Google's Android platform is more secure than Apple's iPhone.

Schmidt's remarks came in the course of a question-and-answer session at the Gartner Symposium/ITxpo, according to ZDNet. A Gartner analyst said to Schmidt that most people in the audience would not name Android as their primary platform and went on to note the operating system's notorious security problems.

"Not secure?" Schmidt countered. "It's more secure than the iPhone."

According to reports, Schmidt did not elaborate on those remarks, instead going on to cite Android's billion-strong activation numbers. That figure, he claimed, led to considerable real-world security testing. When the Gartner analyst again raised the issue toward the end of the session, Schmidt remained firm.

"Android is very secure," Schmidt said to some chuckling from both the audience and the analyst.

Google has over the years built new security features into its mobile platform, but the number of malware attacks on Google's operating system continues to grow. Comparatively, Apple's iOS platform accounts for a small percentage of attacks, due in part to Apple's strict control over the apps that are published in its App Store.

The enterprise segment in particular has noted that security gap, and Apple continues to grow in that sector, despite Android's overall market share lead in mobile. The addition of Touch ID ? the biometric scanner built into the iPhone 5s ? is seen by some as a means of expanding Apple's security lead.
post #2 of 213
Hope he has a small foot or a really good dentist.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #3 of 213
The problem with such statements is that even though it's not true in any real sense the lack of clarification — much like Android activations — means that he doesn't have to back it up, and even if he did he could cite something that would support his flawed perspective thus allowing him to make the statement without legal penalty.
post #4 of 213
Sigh. You know...Schmidt says a lot of things.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #5 of 213
What's he been drinking and smoking? The only android configuration approved for government use contains software not written by google. It just shows how unaware this guy is.
post #6 of 213
Bam! Straight from the horses mouth.
He said it, so it must be true!
/s
post #7 of 213

NOT even close.

I love FOSS as much as a similar enthusiast but in this case, no just no Google.

post #8 of 213
My Nexus is very secure never had problem with it. I'm sure too that iPhone is very secure as well.
post #9 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylorouge View Post

My Nexus is very secure never had problem with it. I'm sure too that iPhone is very secure as well.

You've never had a problem with it so it means it's secure? You need to rethink your logic.
post #10 of 213
He must have swallowed a Galaxy 2 which cut off his air long enough for BRAIN DAMAGE!!!!
post #11 of 213
Creepy Eric does it again! Hey weren't we all suppose to have Google TV by now?!
post #12 of 213
Let's be frank here...

I completely understand someone standing by their own product, it's just natural. To do otherwise would be like admitting your own children are not the greatest.

But, like everything, there are sometimes where you just roll with the punch without trying too hard to block it, unless you want to be seen as completely alienated from reality.

When you do things this way, forcing a point of view at complete odds with what is factual, you just expose your (and your product's) mediocrity!

Before some fandroid retaliates, I must say I gave it a fair chance, I myself have an iPhone 4S (bought it at launch I'm still waiting for it to fail me in the slightest) but my wife won a Galaxy S4 in a raffle. Android s*cks the big one. For a oversized and battery hungry device, it performs like a half baked netbook, it is slow and ugly in everything it does, not to mention the care I'm forced to take in security because my wife really doesn't get internet security (she opens every spam she gets in her mail, and while she could do it in my mac, iPad or iPhone without a problem, I had to explain that she just could not do the same me her phone, quite similarly to her Windows netbook!).

So, dear Mr. Schmidt, get a hold of yourself, you are embarrassing even the most die hard fandroid!
post #13 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

You've never had a problem with it so it means it's secure? You need to rethink your logic.
I actually had more problems with my iPhone than android. Maybe I'm lucky.
post #14 of 213

What kind of drugs do they take over @Google? Must be some really good shit.

Many major brand mobile apps not secure on Android, says study

http://www.csoonline.com/article/738947/many-major-brand-mobile-apps-not-secure-on-android-says-study

Corporate Android Apps Not All Secure

http://www.esecurityplanet.com/mobile-security/corporate-android-apps-not-all-secure.html

Millions of Android users vulnerable to security threats, say feds

http://www.zdnet.com/millions-of-android-users-vulnerable-to-security-threats-say-feds-7000019845/

Android OS Is Least Secure Platform for Aircraft Electronic Flight Bags

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/ainalerts/2013-09-03/android-os-least-secure-platform-aircraft-electronic-flight-bags

Android Security Vulnerability

http://bitcoin.org/en/alert/2013-08-11-android

etc., etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,

post #15 of 213

If sheer number of activations means more secure then Windows must be the most secure desktop OS.

post #16 of 213

*cough* iFruit malware on Google Play Store *cough*

post #17 of 213
This is Eric's attempt at a Reality Distortion Field.
post #18 of 213
Quote:

You had problems with malware and/or your iPhone being hacked? You think this is lucky?
post #19 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTylerDurden View Post

If it is, it's by far one of the worst attempts(if you could even call it that) I've ever seen.

This doesn't even deserve and E for effort.

post #20 of 213
I don't this this word "secure", means what you think it means smitty!
post #21 of 213
That guy is full of Schmidt

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #22 of 213
Actually, he is right, if there is no virus or malware, sure its safe.

Like Samsung, if they think they are not copying Apple, they are not copying.
post #23 of 213
Quote:

No you haven't. PS- saying you own an iPhone doesn't mean you actually have one.

post #24 of 213

He is right ...only the Android's billion-strong activation is secure

Edited by KC_150 - 10/7/13 at 8:14pm
post #25 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTylerDurden View Post

Apple to sue Google over copyright infringement of reality distortion field.

Edited by GTR - 10/8/13 at 12:22am
There's nothing your wife/girlfriend/partner wouldn't like more than a 6 Plus...
There's nothing your wife/girlfriend/partner wouldn't like more than a 6 Plus...
post #26 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Creepy Eric does it again! Hey weren't we all suppose to have Google TV by now?!
I have one and its awesome.
post #27 of 213

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #28 of 213
Quote:

If you buy only off the Google Play store, for the most part you're fine.  But that negates a lot of the supposed advantages of Android's "openness."  And I assume with "problems" you mean something other than malware, because that is essentially nonexistent on the iOS platform.  Since that is the case, discussion of your "problems" is off topic on this thread, and you should take your complaining somewhere else, perhaps www.androidcentral.com.  

Schmidt's prognostications are a joke.  Why does anyone listen to his so-called predictions about the future?  

post #29 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Yep, by the summer of 2012, as a matter of fact.

Eric Schmidt: Google TV on 'majority' of new TVs by summer 2012

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/7/2618225/eric-schmidt-le-web-paris-google-tv-majority-all-tvs

So much crap comes out of that guy's mouth, he should probably buy a diaper for his mouth.

post #30 of 213

The door is bulletproof... we just left it wide open.

post #31 of 213

Android devices are very secure.... when they are powered off, battery dead, and lying in a drawer.

post #32 of 213
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post
The door is bulletproof... we just left it wide open.

post #33 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post

Bam! Straight from the horses mouth.
He said it, so it must be true!
/s
No, if Sergey Brin said it then it'd be from the horses mouth.
post #34 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What kind of drugs do they take over @Google? Must be some really good shit.

Many major brand mobile apps not secure on Android, says study

http://www.csoonline.com/article/738947/many-major-brand-mobile-apps-not-secure-on-android-says-study

Corporate Android Apps Not All Secure

http://www.esecurityplanet.com/mobile-security/corporate-android-apps-not-all-secure.html

Millions of Android users vulnerable to security threats, say feds

http://www.zdnet.com/millions-of-android-users-vulnerable-to-security-threats-say-feds-7000019845/

Android OS Is Least Secure Platform for Aircraft Electronic Flight Bags

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/ainalerts/2013-09-03/android-os-least-secure-platform-aircraft-electronic-flight-bags

Android Security Vulnerability

http://bitcoin.org/en/alert/2013-08-11-android

etc., etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.,

Well, to be fair, most of the links are about shitty coders, not a shitty, insecure OS. It is possible to write secure apps on android. The first link has text that says so: "Just four apps, from Chase, Wells Fargo, State Farm and the IRS, had no security issues."

Don't be hacking on android, or iOS for that matter because there's a population of poor developers.

post #35 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Android devices are very secure.... when they are powered off, battery dead, and lying in a drawer.

In other words, when shipped.
post #36 of 213
Android is secure.
Evolution doesn't exist.
A 64bit CPU is a gimmick.
We live in a free country.

Thes stupids are out there. And they'll find you. If you want them to.

THEREDPILLTHEREDPILLTHEREDPILL!!!
post #37 of 213

Damn! I'm surprised it took me this long to get the joke.

Schmidt and Ballmer are having a contest to see who can say the most outlandishly stupid thing.

I should have seen this long ago...

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #38 of 213
Wrong end of the horse spoke.
post #39 of 213

The only people saying Android is very secure are Fandroids who are very insecure.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #40 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

lolololol
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google's Schmidt says Android more secure than the iPhone