or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google's Schmidt says Android more secure than the iPhone

Google's Schmidt says Android more secure than the iPhone - Page 2

post #41 of 213
Schmidt said what?? That Android is more secure than%u2026. iPHONE?? *snork* BWAAAAA HA HA HA ha ha ha ha ha haaaa!!!

And to think that I once actually reserved a slight bit of respect for the man.

Not. Any. More.
post #42 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

That guy is full of Schmidt

You nailed it!
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #43 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

What's he been drinking and smoking?

Google-ade and Hemp maybe?

Clearly, a combination causing severe delusions of grandeur and denial.

post #44 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylorouge View Post

I actually had more problems with my iPhone than android. Maybe I'm lucky.

define "problems" (as related to SECURITY specifically)?

post #45 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Schmidt said what?? That Android is more secure than%u2026. iPHONE?? *snork* BWAAAAA HA HA HA ha ha ha ha ha haaaa!!!

And to think that I once actually reserved a slight bit of respect for the man.

Not. Any. More.

I hope that slight bit ended several years ago. The guy is a reprehensible and has been for a long time.

That's me being really polite!
post #46 of 213
Quote:

I actually had more problems with my iPhone than android. Maybe I'm lucky.

Reading your other 18 posts I suspect your comments are open to question.
post #47 of 213
Quote:

I have one and its awesome.

you're smelling a lot like a troll to me. 

one-line contrariness tends to have that odor...

SO, you have "Google TV" (whatever that is exactly) and it's "awesome" (whatever that means, you didn't say) and you had an iPhone (hardware device) but you had (undefined) problems with it, which you don't have with "android" (software!), which isn't a handset like iPhone, it's an OPERATING SYSTEM…  we all know that no two handsets which RUN android are the same, so which one you owned probably made a difference as to your overall experience.

In all your posts, you appear to be going somewhere and nowhere at the same time.

18 posts, all just like this one. Saying nothing at all really, but designed to get a response. The classic definition of trolling, really.

You are not winning many fans around here, I'm guessing.

post #48 of 213

Here you go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZztC7xwLB8&feature=c4-overview&list=UUSNX50LYGXWV_e5UWZGPGbw

Turn up the volume so you can hear the snickers in the audience...

post #49 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I hope that slight bit ended several years ago. The guy is a reprehensible and has been for a long time.

That's me being really polite!

Yes, it was a long time ago. Actually, I had a slight bit more for Brin initially, but he lost all my respect first. Then Schmidt screwed Apple WHILE sitting on its board. I knew from that moment that the "Don't Be Evil" slogan was a meaningless marketing phrase, meant to appear soft and clever at the same time.

These guys are anything but that. OK, clever, but in the worst ways possible.

No, they get NO respect from me either. Or trust. If I had to choose between them and Facebook who to "trust" with my personal information, I'd go with Facebook. And that's scary enough as a prospect!

post #50 of 213

It's hard to take anyone seriously when they're dressed like a pumpkin.

post #51 of 213

A master programmer passed a novice programmer one day. The master noted the novice's preoccupation with a hand-held computer game. "Excuse me", he said, "may I examine it?"

The novice bolted to attention and handed the device to the master. "I see that the device claims to have three levels of play: Easy, Medium and Hard", said the master. "Yet every such device has another level of play, where the device seeks not to conquer the human, nor to be conquered by the human."

"Pray, great master", implored the novice, "how does one find this mysterious settings?"

The master dropped the device to the ground and crushed it under foot. And suddenly the novice was enlightened.

- The Tao of Programming

It is useless for sheep to pass laws outlawing carnivorism when the wolf is of a different mind.
It is useless for sheep to pass laws outlawing carnivorism when the wolf is of a different mind.
post #52 of 213
Same Schmidt, different day.
post #53 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

The problem with such statements is that even though it's not true in any real sense the lack of clarification — much like Android activations — means that he doesn't have to back it up, and even if he did he could cite something that would support his flawed perspective thus allowing him to make the statement without legal penalty.

My point exactly! It's like claiming the weather is fabulous when rain is pouring down and no one can sue you for it, however a lot of people may believe you and wonder around wet and cold...

post #54 of 213
Quote:

My Nexus is very secure never had problem with it. I'm sure too that iPhone is very secure as well.

let me get this straight then: my BMW hasn't broke down ever, so it's unbreakable and I'm sure Daimler is unbreakable, too. 

post #55 of 213
I just about shot my drink through my nose reading the headline. Shame on Schmidt for essentially lying about the security of his product. I understand he has to keep a straight face and not smack Android, but he could have been honest about it, and not come across as a some arrogant ass.

The fandroid trolls infesting this forum trying to spin Android's problems are pretty easy to spot.
post #56 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby View Post

Here you go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZztC7xwLB8&feature=c4-overview&list=UUSNX50LYGXWV_e5UWZGPGbw

Those weren't snickers, it was laughter, and guffaws…

Notice how quickly he redirected the focus, turning the conversation AWAY from security, and back to HIS 'meme' which was all about the size of their market (the gross number of users and the impressive sounding "activation numbers") and "app store compatibility"...

He cleverly bypassed the reality of fragmentation too, making it a "store compatibility" issue, when in fact, it's a VERSION issue, with fragmentation across a huge number of devices, where -- appstores be damned -- if something is written for "Android Kit Kat" or "Lumpcake Supreme" it isn't going to work on 25% of the devices out there running the OLDEST versions of Android, OR the other 70% running versions in between.

Poor Schmidtty… his response that "Android is more secure than iPhone" is CLEARLY wrong, and disingenuous at best (either pure ignorance or a bald faced lie, you decide), and with the recent security flaw affecting nearly ALL android devices (yes, a complete "take over your device" HOLE in the system) NO ONE can declare Android more secure than ANYTHING else. 

I'd even go so far as to declare WINDOWS more secure than Android, and, man, that's really saying something.

post #57 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby View Post

Here you go...

Best part is the rest of his absurd statement where he just gives up on security and switches to compatibility.
post #58 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Android devices are very secure.... when they are powered off, battery dead, and lying in a drawer.

..or locked in a vault...

post #59 of 213

Schmidt is turning into the Donald Trump of Tech

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

post #60 of 213
I bet he has an iPhone5s in his pocket, and only knows the name "Android" as something he hears at board meetings.
post #61 of 213
He just had to go and single out the iPhone and not go after BlackBerry or Windows Phone. The main problem is that Wall Street will believe whatever Schmidt says and downgrade Apple as a matter of course. Wall Street always tends to believe whatever Google tells them and that's why Google stock remains higher than Apple with a far better P/E ratio. There's probably no proof at all about Android OS being more secure than iOS and maybe both of those OSes are less secure than BlackBerry. Who knows for certain. An OS is only secure until it is breached. I've heard that Samsung's Knox technology is pretty robust but both OSes would need to be tested head to head to see which holds up the longest against various types of attacks.
post #62 of 213

What a disgusting, despicable liar. I mean..what? He actually used activation #s as a proof of security? I guess Windows should a fuckton more secure than OSX then, since it has exponentially more marketshare. But every sane, knowledgeable, objective person would know for a fact that it is not. 

It's one thing to bend the truth, it's another to blatantly spit out pants-on-fire type of lies like this one. How embarrassing and deceitful, not to mention insulting to everyone in that audience. 

post #63 of 213

This article gives numbers and analysis about the Android malware problem.  The data comes from devices with Google Services, which has an app verification service for anything installed from outside Google Play.  This means that something like a Kindle doesn't contribute to this data.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/10/03/google-talks-android-malware-estimates-that-001-of-apps-evade-defenses-and-harm-users/

Note: I'm not suggesting that this proves Android to be more secure than iOS or vice versa.

post #64 of 213
Well if their was any doubt that Schmidt was an opportunistic liar, here is your proof.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #65 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

He just had to go and single out the iPhone and not go after BlackBerry or Windows Phone. The main problem is that Wall Street will believe whatever Schmidt says and downgrade Apple as a matter of course. Wall Street always tends to believe whatever Google tells them and that's why Google stock remains higher than Apple with a far better P/E ratio. 

I was looking at Apple's stock history yesterday and realized that Apple has increase over 400% in the last 4 years while Google has only increased by 200%. What is odd is that Google broke $600 in 2008 while apple was less the $200 but at the end of it all Google does not even approach Apple in total value.  As of yesterday Apple was 54% higher in total value. 

post #66 of 213

Eric Putz

post #67 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

You had problems with malware and/or your iPhone being hacked? You think this is lucky?

Much as I love how you defend Apple here, I just wanted to say - please don't feed the trolls!
post #68 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmartormenajr View Post

she opens every spam she gets in her mail, and while she could do it in my mac, iPad or iPhone without a problem, I had to explain that she just could not do the same me her phone, quite similarly to her Windows netbook!.

Why would the mac have fewer problems compared to an Android machine? The android security model is quite similar to that of OS X. Both systems let you install applications from anywhere you want, both use unix-style process isolation, and in fact Android sandboxes applications more extensively. 

post #69 of 213

Eric Schmidt simply loves making fudge - the soft melted chocolate swirled ice cream cone kind that keeps coming out of his mouth.

I was rolling on the floor, laughing out loud.   Couldn't believe the viral nature of what he just said. 

He is quite the comedienne. 

post #70 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

He just had to go and single out the iPhone and not go after BlackBerry or Windows Phone. The main problem is that Wall Street will believe whatever Schmidt says and downgrade Apple as a matter of course. Wall Street always tends to believe whatever Google tells them and that's why Google stock remains higher than Apple with a far better P/E ratio. There's probably no proof at all about Android OS being more secure than iOS and maybe both of those OSes are less secure than BlackBerry. Who knows for certain. An OS is only secure until it is breached. I've heard that Samsung's Knox technology is pretty robust but both OSes would need to be tested head to head to see which holds up the longest against various types of attacks.

I just wonder...in what way is the Blackberry more secure than iOS. Is it also unbreachable?

post #71 of 213
The latest version of Android is more secure than the last. The question I would like to know is what is the plan to allow Android users to get the latest version with the 'better than iPhone security'.
post #72 of 213

well, Congratulations Eric!

you have just succeeded the "retiring" champ, Steve Ballmer, to claim the title of Biggest Buffoon In Tech!

we knew you always had it in you ... you've been working your way up the list for years now.

post #73 of 213
Whoahahaha!!!!!!
post #74 of 213
To akqies:

If you go on that assumption you're asking for trouble. Hackers are impersonating legitimate Android Apps by changing the code without changing the original signature. So if you've downloaded any apps, your phone could already be compromised and you don't even know it. Be careful with that view because that's how computers get hacked. I know because I work in the Cyber Security space. But it's your phone your business.

Dr. Schmidt's comments are irresponsible, miss leading, and dangerous. Which is why the host and some of the audiences were chuckling. But the laymen can get in trouble very quickly listening to that non-sence. There isn't any technology platform that is immune to hackers even the iPhone. If you're targeted, you'll get hacked no matter what.
post #75 of 213
Sorry, double post...
post #76 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Why would the mac have fewer problems compared to an Android machine? The android security model is quite similar to that of OS X. Both systems let you install applications from anywhere you want, both use unix-style process isolation, and in fact Android sandboxes applications more extensively. 

I assume someone seemingly educated as you appears to be can count?????

So let's do simple enough math: how many OS X securities faults are known, and for how long Apple supports, with security patches, older versions (due to hardware limitations, I'm stuck to Lion until I get a new Mac).

Compare that to the number of security faults exposed, mostly for months now, that are still unaddressed from Google, and only will (hopefully????) in a future release that absolutely will require new hardware.

When the message gets through, please, leave this site and go to whatever hell fandroids commune.
post #77 of 213
This wasn't the only remarkable thing he said:

"Google exec Schmidt says U.S. government networks are in danger 'because no one is there' during the shutdown to stop hackers"

ORLANDO -- Eric Schmidt, Google's executive chairman, put a question to an audience Gartner's Symposium ITxpo here on Monday. "Raise [your] hand if you're sure the Chinese are not inside your corporate network."

Many of the 8,500 attendees were in the hall to hear the question, but only five hands were raised. "Congratulations," Schmidt said from the stage.

Getting more serious, Schmidt lamented the open pathways in corporate networks, letting hackers slip in via NT servers.

Schmidt suggested a better network would eliminate the corporate intranet.

"We're going to have just a network. We're going to make sure that gaining access is application to application," he said.

In an interview on stage with Gartner analysts David Willis and Drue Reeves, Schmidt was asked whether he's sure that Chinese hackers haven't penetrated Google's corporate network.

"We're quite sure they are not right now," said Schmidt of the Chinese, "although every second we check." The audience chuckled.

https://www.computerworld.com.au/article/528475/chinese_hackers_miss_google_network_checks_go/
post #78 of 213
wrong link, sorry
post #79 of 213
Eric Schmidt is a bull-fucking-shit!!! That is un-fucking-believable he said his androshit is secure than iPhone!!! God, what the fucking is wrong with his tiny rice brain?! What a fuckwit he is......

Please excuse my lame English grammar. American Sign Language is my first language and English's the second.
Tallest Skill, you can edit my English grammar for me. My English grammar sucks! lol

Please excuse my lame English grammar. American Sign Language is my first language and English's the second.
Tallest Skill, you can edit my English grammar for me. My English grammar sucks! lol

post #80 of 213
Hahahah%u2026 guy is always such a riot. Ask him about all the women he's stalking on Instagram. Or the concubines he has stashed at many places in US. What a creepy f**k.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google's Schmidt says Android more secure than the iPhone