or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › iPhone 5s launch expected to boost Apple's gross margins to nearly 40%

iPhone 5s launch expected to boost Apple's gross margins to nearly 40% - Page 2

post #41 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

notice they did not breakdown Samsungs mobile profits?  Profits are up because of their chip fab operations.  It will take a few quarters but Samsung mobile profits will drop.  Why would anyone pay $600 for a copycat phone when you can get a chinese copycat phone for $200?  Notice the article mentions they can't survive on the flagship phone alone?  Welcome to plunging margins Samsung as you are now competing against chinese manufacters. 

No... the article did not say anything about them not being able to survive on the flagship phone alone. This is what it said:

“Companies can’t survive with a single device for more than six months or a year, ...”

What the article said about high priced phones was this:

"Samsung sells at least 40 smartphone models, according to its U.S. website, helping it weather stalling demand for high-end devices."

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #42 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Since they are the only ones innovating and competitors price inferior products at the same price, how are they overpricing, no matter how much net profit they have?

No one else is charging $830 for a cell phone.

Most manufacturers charging >$600 delivers a far more sophisticated phone than what Apple does.

Where exactly did Apple innovate with the latest phones?

iOS 7 was mainly adding features Android has had for years. (With a really ugly and confusing UI added.)

An iPhone 5S is an iPhone 5 with an inappropriately used 64-bit processor that essentially peters away the speed it gained in wasted memory and cache. The fingerprint sensor is old technology tried on laptops several years ago, but rejected because it often gets in your way. (For example, the Moto X NFC unlocking is superior to the finger print unlocking.) Just where do you see innovation?

Take a good look at your iPhone 5S... it's the same as the last phone. It's got a tiny screen. It has an OS that has an unprecedented level of bugs. It has a UI that not even most designers love. And you paid a premium price for it!

post #43 of 99
Quote:

you said Samsung released mobile profits.  YOU ARE WRONG.  They have not and will not till the end of the month.

My proof is Galaxy S4 sales have been pathetic.  That is their cash cow.  You can figure out the rest.

I never said Samsung is struggling.  I said their mobile division will be hurting soon because of cheap chinese phones

You've said a lot of things... with absolutely nothing to back it up.

ie. - Galaxy S4 sales have been pathetic - Where is your proof for this statement?

[ps. I have edited my comment to include the words "mobile division of" in the earlier post because that was the original intent as is shown in my earlier original comment.]

Edited by island hermit - 10/8/13 at 9:07am
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #44 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

That's just not accurate. As noted by both Mike Ash and AnandTech 64-bit doesn't in itself mean more than 4GB of RAM. You can see this 64-bit systems that use much less than 4GB RAM and 32-bit systems that use much more than 4GB RAM.

It's odd that you note there is a benefit from the ARMv8 ISA but fail to see that it's only available for 64-bit operation.

Yes, of course 64 bit systems can address less than 4GB of RAM and yes, 32 bit systems can address more than 4GB of RAM.  The issue is, how efficiently? 

True, but Apple is pushing the 64 bit aspect of the A7 design aren't they?   I can't say I blame them, as it's good marketing to do so, and most people wouldn't know an ISA from a hole in the wall.

post #45 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by brians View Post

1) Computing devices are commodities, have been for a couple of years now.

2) Apple does sell "cheap crap", they just charge alot for it. 

3) Apple does not "provide excellent customer service". Service is really only through Apple Stores, which are only in larger cities. Apple Stores are terribly inefficient. I far preferred it when I got my Apple products at CompUSA.

4) Apple isn't delivering premium products. They deliver a tiny phone, poor software and enough "shiny" to keep the fan base happy. They only charge premium prices.

I just about sprayed my morning coffee out my nose laughing when I read your iHating troll post.  Guess there are trolls that drink way so much koolaid, they tend to believe all the nonsense coming out of their mouths as fact.  Bravo sir.  What next?  The moon landing was fake?

Preferring your service to come from CompUSA was the icing on the cake.  Thanks for the laugh.  Every retail store is "inefficient" as you so proudly determined.  That's why they have something called "online" purchases.  But hey, keep on drinking whatever it is you're drinking.  You certainly added a comic element to my day today.

post #46 of 99

Well, that would make sense seeing as they put the price up on that.  And therefore the 5c isn't a true 'hundred pound' less '5', is it?

Not in the UK it aint.

And Apple upped the price of the entry iMac as well by £50.

In a triple dip recession, you'd think they'd look after their 'fans' as much as they do their profit lines and share holders.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

post #47 of 99
@ AI Moderators

The posts in this thread from brians and JamesMac are obvious troll-posts.

So why in the F*** ARE THEY ALLOWED TO KEEP ON POSTING and not been banned!!!!????

Or are you AI Mods doing this yourself to pad your page/ad views?

*** People... click on that red flag in the corner and report these idiots 1oyvey.gif ... or do you secretly enjoy every thread turning into a repeat of the DaHarder Days?!
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #48 of 99
Quote:

Most manufacturers charging >$600 delivers a far more sophisticated phone than what Apple does.

iOS 7 was mainly adding features Android has had for years. (With a really ugly and confusing UI added.)
An iPhone 5S is an iPhone 5 with an inappropriately used 64-bit processor that essentially peters away the speed it gained in wasted memory and cache. The fingerprint sensor is old technology tried on laptops several years ago, but rejected because it often gets in your way. (For example, the Moto X NFC unlocking is superior to the finger print unlocking.) Just where do you see innovation?

Take a good look at your iPhone 5S... it's the same as the last phone. It's got a tiny screen. It has an OS that has an unprecedented level of bugs. It has a UI that not even most designers love. And you paid a premium price for it!

The Anandtech article on the iPhone 5S begs to differ. Troll off ( for you are a genuine troll).
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #49 of 99
Quote:

Nonsense.

The iPhone as a 64 bit processor. Motion sensor. Integral fingerprint sensor. Performance equal to or greater than anything on the market. "Most" manufacturers offer those things?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #50 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

@ AI Moderators

So why in the F*** ARE THEY ALLOWED TO KEEP ON POSTING and not been banned!!!!????

*** People... click on that red flag in the corner and report these idiots 1oyvey.gif ... or do you secretly enjoy every thread turning into a repeat of the DaHarder Days?!

As someone who has been in this industry for almost 30 years, holding senior positions within two of the largest tech companies in the world, I didn't feel my comments were what you kids call 'trolling'.  

I presume that you feel that because this is an Apple based site, I should make only positive remarks about all things Apple, rather than the truth?    

Might I suggest an alternative?  How about robust discussion about Apple and where it (and its products) stands in the market versus its competition, rather than simply fawning over everything that comes out of Cupertino?   I presume that I'm not allowed to comment that the screen on the iPad mini is inferior to its competition without incurring some wrath?  Even though this, by most metrics, would be viewed as a fact.  It's simply a truth you don't want to hear?

Many of the comments that I read here are uneducated and show a remarkable ignorance of the industry, are factually incorrect and yet these are fine as long as they have a pro-Apple spin?

One of the biggest complaints against Apple is that they are a closed environment, and I see that you wish to take this approach to the next level by now banning free speech.

I wish you well.

post #51 of 99

Brian, yes. James, why? He just seems misinformed.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #52 of 99
Quote:

1) Computing devices are commodities, have been for a couple of years now.

2) Apple does sell "cheap crap", they just charge alot for it. 

3) Apple does not "provide excellent customer service". Service is really only through Apple Stores, which are only in larger cities. Apple Stores are terribly inefficient. I far preferred it when I got my Apple products at CompUSA.

4) Apple isn't delivering premium products. They deliver a tiny phone, poor software and enough "shiny" to keep the fan base happy. They only charge premium prices.

1, Wrong.  Smartphones/tablets are computing devices.  They are not commodities.  That's exactly why people are willing to pay premiums for iPhone/iPad.

2. lol. ha ha.  Hope samsung is paying you for this

3. ha ha

4. ha ha. Go buy some reading glasses. the iPhone screen is plenty big if you have good vision.

post #53 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

As someone who has been in this industry for almost 30 years, holding senior positions within two of the largest tech companies in the world, I didn't feel my comments were what you kids call 'trolling'.  

I presume that you feel that because this is an Apple based site, I should make only positive remarks about all things Apple, rather than the truth?    

Might I suggest an alternative?  How about robust discussion about Apple and where it (and its products) stands in the market versus its competition, rather than simply fawning over everything that comes out of Cupertino?   I presume that I'm not allowed to comment that the screen on the iPad mini is inferior to its competition without incurring some wrath?  Even though this, by most metrics, would be viewed as a fact.  It's simply a truth you don't want to hear?

Many of the comments that I read here are uneducated and show a remarkable ignorance of the industry, are factually incorrect and yet these are fine as long as they have a pro-Apple spin?

One of the biggest complaints against Apple is that they are a closed environment, and I see that you wish to take this approach to the next level by now banning free speech.

I wish you well.

James,

please read up more on the A7.  Your comments are grossly ignorant.  Some may even mistake your ignorance for trolling.  Your comments about the A7 sound very similar to an Qualcomm executive who was trying to excuse the A7 chip.  Yet in the same interview he said Intel was developing an 64-bit processor also.  I don't think you are trolling but you need to get current on the A7.

Edited by sog35 - 10/8/13 at 10:20am
post #54 of 99
Originally Posted by brians

lol, Samsung.

Go shove your top hat and monocle where the sun doesn’t shine and buy one of those phones, then. Leave us alone.

Shut up and go away, you worthless idiot.

post #55 of 99
Quote:

Yes, of course 64 bit systems can address less than 4GB of RAM and yes, 32 bit systems can address more than 4GB of RAM.  The issue is, how efficiently? 

True, but Apple is pushing the 64 bit aspect of the A7 design aren't they?   I can't say I blame them, as it's good marketing to do so, and most people wouldn't know an ISA from a hole in the wall.

The performance is had from moving to 64-bit ARM as the instruction set is much more efficient and Obj-C can doubly benefit from it so your claim that it's only marketing is BS>
post #56 of 99
Quote:

James,

please read up more on the A7.  Your comments are grossly ignorant.  Some may even mistake your ignorance for trolling.  Your comments about the A7 sound very similar to an Qualcomm executive who was trying to excuse the A7 chip.  Yet in the same interview he said Intel was developing an 64-bit processor also.  I don't think you are trolling but you need to get current on the A7.

sog, unfortunately you're one of the people on this forum who understands the least, but doesn't seem to know it.  

Can you please clearly articulate why you believe a 64 bit processor is preferable to a 32 bit processor?  Also be interested to hear your views on RISC vs. CISC processors. 

post #57 of 99
Quote:

sog, unfortunately you're one of the people on this forum who understands the least, but doesn't seem to know it.  

Can you please clearly articulate why you believe a 64 bit processor is preferable to a 32 bit processor?  Also be interested to hear your views on RISC vs. CISC processors. 

So you are telling me Apple spent tens of millions of dollars to develop the A7 just to be a marketing gimmick?  Really?

I will not do the research for you.  There are tons of articles that explain why the A7 is hugely important for Apple now and in the future. Your arrogance is really getting in the way of actually learning facts.  I dont give a shet if you were an executive or whatever else you claim.  Bottom line is you have not read up on the A7 and your posts show your total ignorance on the subject. study.

post #58 of 99

[just griping so keep scrolling down] 

Why is it taking so long for Apple to fill 5s backorders? Did they stop production and go on Holiday? I would presume they never stopped manufacturing since the first one rolled off the line so why is there no inventory still? C'mon Apple, I'm needing my 5s!!!! 

[thanks for reading, I feel better now] 

post #59 of 99
Quote:

@ AI Moderators

JamesMac is a troll?  lol

C'mon. Get off it.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #60 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

[just griping so keep scrolling down] 

Why is it taking so long for Apple to fill 5s backorders? Did they stop production and go on Holiday? I would presume they never stopped manufacturing since the first one rolled off the line so why is there no inventory still? C'mon Apple, I'm needing my 5s!!!! 

[thanks for reading, I feel better now] 

Demand > Supply, or more specifically Production.
post #61 of 99
Quote:

Demand > Supply, or more specifically Production.

Hey, don't let your truth get in the way of my griping. Just be a friend and say 'I know, it's horrible' :P 

post #62 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Let's see. Apple says it will be at the high end of the 36-37% range. Some analyst who doesn't have access to Apple's financials says it will be 40%.

Hmmm... who to believe? 1smoking.gif

Just curious... isn't the 36-37% forecast from Apple for the 4th fiscal quarter to be announced on October 28th?

I think Um is talking about the holiday quarter and the 2nd fiscal quarter.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #63 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Just curious... isn't the 36-37% forecast from Apple for the 4th fiscal quarter to be announced on October 28th?

I think Um is talking about the holiday quarter and the 2nd fiscal quarter.

you are correct

post #64 of 99
Quote:

Hey, don't let your truth get in the way of my griping. Just be a friend and say 'I know, it's horrible' :P 

Very well… How can they do this to you? They just want to create artificial demand. Those assholes!

When I went to buy my iPhone 5S there was a women who had apparently come back at least a couple days in the morning trying to buy a 5S. She was livid because they still didn't have the carrier/capacity/color combination she wanted. She felt personally affronted as she felt she was promised by an Apple Store employee(s) that they would have it in stock the next time. She mentioned how she can't keep taking work off to buy an iPhone. She asked to speak to the store manager.
post #65 of 99
Quote:

Very well… How can they do this to you? They just want to create artificial demand. Those assholes!

When I went to buy my iPhone 5S there was a women who had apparently come back at least a couple days in the morning trying to buy a 5S. She was livid because they still didn't have the carrier/capacity/color combination she wanted. She felt personally affronted as she felt she was promised by an Apple Store employee(s) that they would have it in stock the next time. She mentioned how she can't keep taking work off to buy an iPhone. She asked to speak to the store manager.

No, that is not what I said I wanted nor implied. I was not suggesting Apple is creating artificial demand, but ONLY that I am still waiting. Yes, it is only been 8 days, but I'm excited. Why do you have to turn this into something horrible? 

I feel no animosity towards Apple, I'm just excited to get my 5s. Sorry you had to get involved. 

post #66 of 99
Quote:

No, that is not what I said I wanted nor implied. I was not suggesting Apple is creating artificial demand, but ONLY that I am still waiting. Yes, it is only been 8 days, but I'm excited. Why do you have to turn this into something horrible? 

I feel no animosity towards Apple, I'm just excited to get my 5s. Sorry you had to get involved. 

​Tim read your post. He has a man on it.   :smokey:
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #67 of 99
Quote:

So you are telling me Apple spent tens of millions of dollars to develop the A7 just to be a marketing gimmick?  Really?

I will not do the research for you.  There are tons of articles that explain why the A7 is hugely important for Apple now and in the future. Your arrogance is really getting in the way of actually learning facts.  I dont give a shet if you were an executive or whatever else you claim.  Bottom line is you have not read up on the A7 and your posts show your total ignorance on the subject. study.

Not asking you to do any research.  Just want your opinion on why the 64 bit ISA is beneficial.  Love to hear from someone who is clearly so knowledgeable.  Great chance to impress everyone sog35...go for it!

post #68 of 99
Quote:

I guess I should have used an emoticon to indicate I was joking around. I've read your posts; I know you're not an unreasonable person.
post #69 of 99
Quote:

Not asking you to do any research.  Just want your opinion on why the 64 bit ISA is beneficial.  Love to hear from someone who is clearly so knowledgeable.  Great chance to impress everyone sog35...go for it!

Why don't you tell us again why AArch64 is not only not better than AArch32, but worse for performance and power management?

By your own admission Apple could have used the 32-bit version of iOS 7 on this new ARMv8_64 chip to eek out better performance and power management based on your claims that AArch64 offers no benefits over AArch32 (and will incur penalties) except for marketing.
post #70 of 99
Quote:

same reasons why the PC are now 64 bit also.

Plus the added benefit of longer battery life.

read this:

http://mikeash.com/pyblog/friday-qa-2013-09-27-arm64-and-you.html

i hate doing research for other people

post #71 of 99
Quote:

I guess I should have used an emoticon to indicate I was joking around. I've read your posts; I know you're not an unreasonable person.

Sorry, I jumped too soon :( 

post #72 of 99
Quote:

Now I can sleep tonight :) 

post #73 of 99
Quote:

same reasons why the PC are now 64 bit also.
Plus the added benefit of longer battery life.

read this:
http://mikeash.com/pyblog/friday-qa-2013-09-27-arm64-and-you.html

i hate doing research for other people

Mike's (That) post is clear that there is little difference between a 32 bit and 64 bit CPU everything else being equal but there are potential gains in register and cache access balanced by increases in memory footprint by all apps. So not the slam dunk you think your link was.
post #74 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Mike's (That) post is clear that there is little difference between a 32 bit and 64 bit CPU everything else being equal but there are potential gains in register and cache access balanced by increases in memory footprint by all apps. So not the slam dunk you think your link was.

There are massive benefits to 64 bit.  I'll leave you and the Qualcomm executive who said the A7 is a gimmick alone. 

another article:

http://www.realworldtech.com/arm64/

post #75 of 99
Quote:

There are massive benefits to 64 bit.  I'll leave you and the Qualcomm executive who said the A7 is a gimmick alone. 

Mike says

If we compare otherwise-identical 32-bit and 64-bit CPUs, there isn't a whole lot of difference, which is a big part of the confusion around the significance of Apple's move to 64-bit ARM. The move is important, but largely because of specifics of the ARM processor and Apple's use of it.

This is EXACTLY WHAT I SAID.

He then does to go to document how other changes in the architecture along with the registers (which I mentioned already) which do help performance but this is way beyond the 64 is better m'kay argument.

post #76 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Mike says

If we compare otherwise-identical 32-bit and 64-bit CPUs, there isn't a whole lot of difference, which is a big part of the confusion around the significance of Apple's move to 64-bit ARM. The move is important, but largely because of specifics of the ARM processor and Apple's use of it.

This is EXACTLY WHAT I SAID.

He then does to go to document how other changes in the architecture along with the registers (which I mentioned already) which do help performance but this is way beyond the 64 is better m'kay argument.

So are you telling me Apple spent hundreds of millions of dollars on the A7 for nothing?  Is that what you are telling me?  Explain yourself.  You said 32 bit and 64 bit are the same IF ALL OTHER THINGS ARE EQUAL.  But isn't that the trick?  ALL OTHER THINGS ARE NOT EQUAL with the A7.

post #77 of 99
Quote:

Oh, boy.

Man, really, you gotta step back from the keyboard.

The guy is saying apple spend hundreds of millions of dollars on the A7 as a marketing scam (aka no benefit from 32 bit).

post #78 of 99
Quote:

The guy is saying apple spend hundreds of millions of dollars on the A7 as a marketing scam (aka no benefit from 32 bit).

No he is not.

... but I wasn't even talking about that.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #79 of 99
Quote:

No he is not.

... but I wasn't even talking about that.

i'm starting to like your style

what did he say?  I don't understand his point.  He said 64bit has little benefit if all things are equal.

post #80 of 99
Quote:

i'm starting to like your style

what did he say?  I don't understand his point.  He said 64bit has little benefit if all things are equal.

No i was quoting from the post you linked to on that. You should take your concerns up with Mike Ash.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › iPhone 5s launch expected to boost Apple's gross margins to nearly 40%