or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Where Are the Codenames?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where Are the Codenames?

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
Normally you hear some codenames for upcomg products being tossed around. whether right or wrong you always here them and more often then not they are usually right or close to be right. for MWSF we have heard none.

think that is good or bad?
post #2 of 33
Yes we did, "GoldFish" was a rumored codename for the G5 I believe.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
post #3 of 33
Maybe they havent been released.
And thats the bottom line.
Reply
And thats the bottom line.
Reply
post #4 of 33
There have also been reports of the next-gen iMac being referred to as Revolution 2...
post #5 of 33
Damn, applenut, I thought briefly about that, but it never really made it into consciousness........I don't know. I have heard the Revolution thing and GoldFish as well.....

Your right though, take Pismo. It was all over the place months before release.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #6 of 33
Or we hear the codenames after the product is released. Like Quicksilver.
*Registered March 1, 1999*
Member #14
Reply
*Registered March 1, 1999*
Member #14
Reply
post #7 of 33
[quote]Originally posted by MacAddict:
<strong>Or we hear the codenames after the product is released. Like Quicksilver.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Besides with Quicksilver when has Apple done that?
post #8 of 33
[quote]Originally posted by EmAn:
<strong>

Besides with Quicksilver when has Apple done that?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Apple is very tightlipped about their secret new projects. Normally, you shouldn/t hear about the new product until Apple officially announces it.
post #9 of 33
&gt;&gt; <a href="http://www.appleinsider.com/codenames.shtml" target="_blank">http://www.appleinsider.com/codenames.shtml</a>

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: Mando Gomez ]</p>
post #10 of 33
yeah.. apple isn't going to say, "Hey guys, we have a new iMac coming out and it's codenamed Revolution 2. Its not that big a deal, though, so just buy lots of iMacs now."
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
Reply
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
Reply
post #11 of 33
Goldfish is the only codename I have heard, and that codename has been around for a while.
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
Reply
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
Reply
post #12 of 33
tadpole has been batted about as g5 mobility
post #13 of 33
Thread Starter 
[quote]Originally posted by discstickers:
<strong>yeah.. apple isn't going to say, "Hey guys, we have a new iMac coming out and it's codenamed Revolution 2. Its not that big a deal, though, so just buy lots of iMacs now."</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not saying they would but traditional codenames have been pretty easy to discover. ie: mercury, midway, sawtooth, yikes, gossamer, pismo, el captain, kihei, lifesavers, mystic, etc.

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>
post #14 of 33
[quote]Originally posted by applenut:
<strong>

I'm not saying they would but traditional codenames have been pretty easy to discover. ie: mercury, midway, sawtooth, yikes, gossamer, pismo, el captain, kihei, lifesavers, mystic, etc.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Few of those products had the secrecy of what's going on now. Take the TiBook. We knew its code name. AI got its internals correct. There were also reports of the widescreen, but AI didn't believe 'em.
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
Reply
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
Reply
post #15 of 33
Thread Starter 
[quote]Originally posted by discstickers:
<strong>

Few of those products had the secrecy of what's going on now. Take the TiBook. We knew its code name. AI got its internals correct. There were also reports of the widescreen, but AI didn't believe 'em.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

well, that's what I'm saying. I think this is a good thing. because current rumors are saying 15 inch LCD iMac with g3 and a powerMac g4 7460. basic stuff. but no codenames are said. if this were close to reliable a codename would be known. obviously the real info is still secret.
post #16 of 33
I agree with applenut.
post #17 of 33
I also agree with applenut.
post #18 of 33
[quote]Originally posted by applenut:
<strong>

if this were close to reliable a codename would be known. obviously the real info is still secret.</strong><hr></blockquote>

So you think that something very big is coming?
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
Reply
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
Reply
post #19 of 33
I definately agree with discstickers. Or with applenut which discstickers is questioning and I did not mention before, but that's fine.
post #20 of 33
Thread Starter 
[quote]Originally posted by discstickers:
<strong>

So you think that something very big is coming?</strong><hr></blockquote>

something like a G4 LCD iMac and a PowerMac G5?
post #21 of 33
[quote]Originally posted by applenut:
<strong>

something like a G4 LCD iMac and a PowerMac G5? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey, anything is possible. <img src="graemlins/bugeye.gif" border="0" alt="[Skeptical]" />
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
Reply
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
Reply
post #22 of 33
Last time I heard (and this was before the old AI boards went into retirement) the code name for the next generation iMacs is KIVA. Not sure if it's still going under the same code name since it's been so long coming...
post #23 of 33
Thread Starter 
[quote]Originally posted by Mr. Satellite:
<strong>Last time I heard (and this was before the old AI boards went into retirement) the code name for the next generation iMacs is KIVA. Not sure if it's still going under the same code name since it's been so long coming...</strong><hr></blockquote>

the guy who said that said they would be released at MWNY so who knows if it is true
post #24 of 33
wasn't the new iMac codenamed "KIVA" at some point??
post #25 of 33
Kiva could have just been the codename for the updated iMacs at MWNY. Who knows.
"We're not gonna stop."
- Steve Jobs
Reply
"We're not gonna stop."
- Steve Jobs
Reply
post #26 of 33
[quote]Originally posted by KidRed:
<strong>Yes we did, "GoldFish" was a rumored codename for the G5 I believe.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And everybody knows what makes Goldfish special. They grow to fill whatever size tank they're placed into. Could this be a scalability reference?
--
-- Tom Mornini
Reply
--
-- Tom Mornini
Reply
post #27 of 33
[quote]Originally posted by sobelizzard:
<strong>wasn't the new iMac codenamed "KIVA" at some point??</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe you were thinking about Khehi? Or however it's spelled
post #28 of 33
[quote]Originally posted by Tom Mornini:
<strong>

And everybody knows what makes Goldfish special. They grow to fill whatever size tank they're placed into. Could this be a scalability reference?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think you are on to something. :eek: :eek:
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
Reply
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
Reply
post #29 of 33
[quote]Originally posted by Mando Gomez:
<strong>&gt;&gt; <a href="http://www.appleinsider.com/codenames.shtml" target="_blank">http://www.appleinsider.com/codenames.shtml</a>
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Jonathan: This compilation of codenames is something that the new AI Staff should defnitely update.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
Reply
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
Reply
post #30 of 33
[quote]Originally posted by Tom Mornini:
<strong>

And everybody knows what makes Goldfish special. They grow to fill whatever size tank they're placed into. Could this be a scalability reference?</strong><hr></blockquote>
This is not specific of goldfish, every big race of fish need a big tank in order to develop his maximum size, it's in relation with the wawe reflexion on the wall of the tank wich allow or not the fish to growth.
post #31 of 33
[quote]Originally posted by applenut:
<strong>if this were close to reliable a codename would be known. obviously the real info is still secret.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, we haven't heard about a codename for Apple's new PM G6! So obviously Apple skipped the whole G5 thing an we will see the new G6 machines in january!

You don't believe this? It's as reliable as everything else what I've read so far
post #32 of 33
Maybe Mark Antony?
post #33 of 33
PS: My favorite codename of all time was Escher for the PowerBook Duo 270c, as seen in <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/escher/PhotoAlbum5.html" target="_blank">this picture</a>.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
Reply
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Where Are the Codenames?