or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple designer Jony Ive's custom charity Leica rangefinder revealed

Apple designer Jony Ive's custom charity Leica rangefinder revealed

post #1 of 42
One of the flagship products of next month's Product (RED) charity auction, a custom Leica rangefinder camera designed by Apple's Jony Ive and fellow industrial design superstar Marc Newson, has been unveiled by the German manufacturer.

Leica

The custom shooter is derived from the Leica M digital 35 millimeter full-frame camera, featuring a full-format CMOS sensor, a high-performance processor, and Leica's APO-Summicron ?M 50-millimeter f/2 ASPH lens.

The body of the camera is created from Ive's signature anodized aluminum and features a pattern of small, laser machined holes, similar to those found on the speaker grilles of Apple's MacBook Pro line of laptop computers.

Leica

Leica says that the camera took 85 days to create, and was born after Ive and Newson went through 561 models and prototyped nearly 1,000 parts.

The camera will go up for auction at Sotheby's on Nov. 23 ??alongside other Ive and Newson collaborations like a pair of solid 18-karat rose gold Apple EarPods ??to benefit The Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria.
post #2 of 42
Maybe if he's stop designing this other nonsense we would get new Macs with more regularity.
post #3 of 42
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post
Maybe if he's stop designing this other nonsense we would get new Macs with more regularity.

Maybe, but no.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #4 of 42
Quote:

You obviously don't understand design.
post #5 of 42
Rounded edges, brushed aluminum, textured covered -- that's all Jony Ive bring to the legndary Leica M? I much prefer to regular production Leica with its sharp and masculine edges.

And thank God it's still the regular Leica's font being used for the engraving. I would puke if Jony had changed it to Helvetica Neue.
post #6 of 42

It's a gem!

Since it's charity I hope for a BIG price!

And why would designing a thing like the Leica, have anything to do with not releasing new Macs?

I believe that Jony and Marc had a hell of a time designing together.

post #7 of 42

That ain't M...  THIS is M.

post #8 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

That ain't M...  THIS is M.

I like Jony's better
post #9 of 42
Quote:

What an idiotic statement. 

post #10 of 42
Quote:

Get out of this forum, please! Never comeback!

09 - the most interesting puzzle on AppStore

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/09/id854675423?mt=8

09 - the most interesting puzzle on AppStore

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/09/id854675423?mt=8

post #11 of 42
Interesting if a bit Fisherprice/1950's portable radio looking, even though I'm sure being a Leica rangefinder, its built like a tank! The control dials on the top-plate look good too, if not very ergonomic or practical, again reminiscent of radio dials, as well as the textured material on the body which resembles a speaker grill...maybe the inspiration for this design were mid-20th century portable radios? I think I prefer the traditional styling of the standard Leica M, but this Jony and Marc version is a good effort.
Edited by 1983 - 10/8/13 at 10:15am
post #12 of 42
Quote:

dammit, where it the thumbs down!!! 

post #13 of 42

Truth is.. some rich guy will buy this at the auction for 200K, put it under glass and never take a photo with it.

post #14 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

One of the flagship products

you guys use the word flagship as though it were an effing preposition ...
post #15 of 42
Beautiful. Elegant. Gorgeous.
post #16 of 42
It's so Braun design, early 1970s, as to be spooky.
post #17 of 42
Quote:

Truth is.. some rich guy will buy this at the auction for 200K, put it under glass and never take a photo with it.

And the item will have fulfilled its intended purpose, which is to raise money for a charitable cause.

post #18 of 42
This kind of thing energizes a talented designer which is better for Apple. You, however, need serious help!
post #19 of 42

Really cool looking camera ... only problem is, Fuji now makes excellent cameras, that also look really cool at much less cost.  You can now buy a nice used Fuji X100 on eBay for less than $700 ... this is one of the best cameras on the planet.  And if you know how to use the Fuji, you can take incredible images that are at least on par with any digital camera, including all digital rangefinder Leica's.

post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnyishere View Post

eBay for less than $700 ...

There always seems to be at least ONE who doesn't get it. This Leica was designed by two world famous designers. It's not just about taking pictures, it is the WHO! Read what a few others wrote. The world doesn't always revolve around getting the BEST DEAL. Go to Wal-Mart for your cameras.
post #21 of 42
Quote:

It will be one of the music elites that will post a peace sign, duck-faced mirror portrait to show off their new camera!! 

post #22 of 42
I'm always amazed at how many people hate things. When I first saw this camera in Vanity Fair magazine I thought it really looked nice. Then I see it show up on the Verge and 90% of the comments are hideous, ugly, form over function etc. I go to Mac Rumors and see the same - boring, lame, reminds me of the cheese grater Mac Pro etc. I swear if people didn't know someone from Apple designed this they'd think it was the greatest camera ever. 1rolleyes.gif
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm always amazed at how many people hate things. When I first saw this camera in Vanity Fair magazine I thought it really looked nice. Then I see it show up on the Verge and 90% of the comments are hideous, ugly, form over function etc. I go to Mac Rumors and see the same - boring, lame, reminds me of the cheese grater Mac Pro etc. I swear if people didn't know someone from Apple designed this they'd think it was the greatest camera ever. 1rolleyes.gif

Truly truly I say unto you, it is pure jealousy that causes some to hate anything Apple. Plain old jealousy. What could be a good ad campaign to counter this type of negativity?

Oh, and of course, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomine View Post

Truly truly I say unto you, it is pure jealousy that causes some to hate anything Apple. Plain old jealousy. What could be a good ad campaign to counter this type of negativity?

Oh, and of course, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

Seriously. Plus the camera is being auctioned off for charity. I'm sure one of Ive or Bono's rich friends will pay a lot of money for it benefiting a worthy cause. Ive is helping raise lots of money for charity. What exactly are all the Internet trolls doing?
post #25 of 42
Now that Jony Ive has camera building experience - next innovative product - iCamera coming soon by Apple. Millions of units will be sold but Apple is still doomed.

/s
post #26 of 42

"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
post #27 of 42
Quote:

I beg to differ, while I normally like Jony's designs this camera looks sterile and lacks character. Would everyone claiming that it's beautiful make that very same claim had Samsung come up with this design? That's the million dollar question.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I beg to differ, while I normally like Jony's designs this camera looks sterile and lacks character. Would everyone claiming that it's beautiful make that very same claim had Samsung come up with this design? That's the million dollar question.
Samsung would never come up with a design like this so no reason to ask the question. 1biggrin.gif Anyway if this design is sterile then so was the previous Mac Pro and so are the MacBook Airs and Pros.
post #29 of 42
Quote:

Citation needed.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #30 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

dammit, where it the thumbs down!!! 

On arstechnica.com 1wink.gif

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #31 of 42

Hmmm... Can't decide.  Can't decide...

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #32 of 42
Quote:

From the standpoint of practicality, wouldn't all those micro-holes serve as oil/dirt magnets? 

Imagine that finish after a couple of year's use, with your personal holding patten permanently embedded.  (Or maybe that's the point?)

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

post #33 of 42
I think the iWatch is going to share some design elements with this Leica camera designed by Ives. But who knows how many different prototypes they are looking at at the moment.
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

From the standpoint of practicality, wouldn't all those micro-holes serve as oil/dirt magnets? 

Imagine that finish after a couple of year's use, with your personal holding patten permanently embedded.  (Or maybe that's the point?)

It was probably designed to sit on some rich persons shelf. 1wink.gif Anyway I remember when the iPhone 5 leaks came out people said the same thing about the speaker holes. Well I've had a 5 for over a year now and my speaker holes aren't filled up with dirt and dust.
post #35 of 42
My first impression is that I don't like it and prefer some of Leica's own special edition designs for the M. And yes I own an M.
post #36 of 42
Quote:

That's just ridiculous.  Could it be that perhaps many people don't equate this to be a good design for a camera.  Or just don't like the design which many people had high expectations for?  Or do you honestly think everyone is jealous about not owning a one off camera worth hundreds of thousands of dollars?

post #37 of 42
Ah the charity auction.... Its a grand excuse for folly and tax-deductable back slapping.

Can we consider the actual financial costs involved here?

1. Jonny Ive - love him and his continuation of Deiter Rams' design philosophies.
But how much is the value of his and team's time spent on 561 models?

2. Ditto Marc Newson (although a google image search for "marc newson design" doesn't bring up anything I recognised or wanted to own)

3. Leica - cheap publicity for the cost of a a bit of stock

4. Red - a charity that gives 1% of donations to good causes (rest is admin and 'lobbying')

5. The auction event - swell party for millionaires in a grand hotel, lots of free booze and people with money they can afford to lose buying things they don't really need.

If tackling AIDS in africa is so important, couldn't they just GIVE the money and go back to work?

Condoms are about 10p each when bought in bulk - and help the poverty associated with overpopulation.

I think Chris Morris says it all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3UqiBebc9s
post #38 of 42

I was looking forward to seeing what Ive would come up with and this is not what I was expecting!

My first impression is that I don't like it either.  I was expecting much more for something that's supposed to be a one off über-special edition that few people could ever afford!  He's succeeded in making it look friendly I suppose, but also cheap?  I'm not sure how well those top dials will function either.  They look to be slightly recessed.

I know Leica have made titanium special editions before and I'm not saying he should've used that material but anodised aluminium seems a bit passé, not to mention relatively soft and prone to wear from moisture and oils as anyone with a MacBook Pro can attest.  Those holes look destined to get clogged with dust and salt as well.

This doesn't compare to the brilliant M9 special edition by Hermès I'm sorry to say.  Is Jony losing his magic touch?

post #39 of 42

It terms of camera design, not sure he ever had any?  I agree with your comments.  And I also thought the M9 Titanium was absolutely stunning; scores better than this.

post #40 of 42
Great! Another trophy trinket for a ridiculously rich collector to flaunt.

A least its for a good cause.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple designer Jony Ive's custom charity Leica rangefinder revealed