or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Agawi TouchMark contrasts iPad's fast screen response to laggy Android tablets

Agawi TouchMark contrasts iPad's fast screen response to laggy Android tablets - Page 2

post #41 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

My iPhone 5, 5s and retina iPad absolutely thrash my Galaxy S4 in performance.

It's a laggy piece of junk in comparison, I guess that's why there are no music creation Apps made for Android, the lag is perceptible between the pseudo java virtual machine sitting atop a Linux core.

It occurs to me kids could hook up an Android to a guitar amp to use as a reverb or echo device ... 1biggrin.gif

(That is a 'latency' joke just to explain to non musical folks)
Edited by digitalclips - 10/9/13 at 11:12am
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #42 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasakka View Post

The article doesn't really say what is an acceptable range here. Just that Android tablets have slower response, whether that is due to subpar hardware or software issues.

Acceptable means 'doesn't have a lag that's noticeable to the user'. By that standard, virtually every Android device out there is unacceptable. Just read some reviews. They almost always mention the Android lag - or say that it's not as smooth as iDevices or something similar.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #43 of 51

I tend to believe on hardware aspect they all (iPhone, Android or WP8) have more or less the same touch screen controller specs.  I think softwares is what separated devices in this benchmark, even on desktop computer Java apps has always got sluggish UI response.  Why it should be any different on a much slower device like a phone?

post #44 of 51
Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post
I tend to believe on hardware aspect they all (iPhone, Android or WP8) have more or less the same touch screen controller specs.  I think softwares is what separated devices in this benchmark, even on desktop computer Java apps has always got sluggish UI response.  Why it should be any different on a much slower device like a phone?

Truly, a lot of the problem with response comes, not from the hardware, but from Android itself.

I installed Android 1.6 on my iPhone a few years back. And on Apple’s hardware–on the best hardware on the market at the time–it was horrible. Lag out the wazoo. It was horrible. And accuracy? Ha! Couldn’t even hit P and Q on the keyboard.

These phones with 2GB RAM? Quad core processors? Dedicated graphics chips? Those are needed to even get the software up to performing as well as it does, and even then it’s worse than the iPhone.

Not to mention they’ve tested the touchscreen hardware on Android devices and found it to be lacking over Apple’s.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #45 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Fandroids have long disputed this and they often lie through their teeth claiming stuff like "Android is no longer laggy, it's been fixed in the last update, blah blah blah!". They've been saying that for years now. Don't these pathetic people and lowlifes get tired of lying all of the time?

My Nexus 7 has the latest Android update, and it's still lags quite often when scrolling the screen up and down.  Once the new iPad's are out, I'll give the Nexus 7 to the cat to play cat games on.  He won't mind the lag as much as it bothers me.

post #46 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

1) Of course it doesn't cost $100 for Apple to go from 16GB to 32GB. 

A price breakdown of the iPhone 5S revealed that there's a cost difference to Apple of $8 between the 16 and 64GB models.  Yes, the 64GB is far more profitable for Apple as it only costs them $214 to manufacturer it.

post #47 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

It doesn't mean anything because the perceptible difference is negligible to most users. They all run apps, surf the net, play movies.
Androids do all this for half the price of an iPad in many cases, and that's a lot of money.

Since you brought it up, you know what apathy boggles my mind? Why doesn't anyone care that apple charges a hundred dollars more for 15 bucks worth of additional memory? The difference between 16 and 32GB is NOT a hundred dollars. Hell, the difference between 16 and 64 isn't a hundred dollars. Talk about a racket.

You need to use your brain.  The people who are buying the 32G and 64G models are subsidizing the 16G models.

If Apple was to sell the additional memory at the same margins as other parts of the phone the pricing would look like this:

16GB $775

32GB $800

64GB $850

Apple bases its pricing not only on single model margins but based on product mix.  They are also willing to sell the 16G model at lower margins because of the additional iTunes revenue and also because of competitors pricing.  Its not that the 64GB model is a ripoff.  Its the 16GB is an absolute steal.

post #48 of 51
But the 20 something rep in my local Fry's store in Fremont, CA assured me that the Samsung Galaxy tablet is the best on the market, I don't get it. He said it was "open" I asked him what "open" meant but he couldn't answer me.
post #49 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

But the 20 something rep in my local Fry's store in Fremont, CA assured me that the Samsung Galaxy tablet is the best on the market, I don't get it. He said it was "open" I asked him what "open" meant but he couldn't answer me.

It means you can have Comic Sans Serif as your system wide font.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #50 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post

My Nexus 7 has the latest Android update, and it's still lags quite often when scrolling the screen up and down.  Once the new iPad's are out, I'll give the Nexus 7 to the cat to play cat games on.  He won't mind the lag as much as it bothers me.

wait a minute! my kitty has Paws of Lightning! he's gotta be 10x more sensitive to latency than us ... that would be cruel!

post #51 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Depending on the application, humans can definitely notice a 100 ms latency, as demonstrated in this rather informative microsoft research video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOvQCPLkPt4.

thanks much. after watching, i tried the only such app i have - PDF Pen - on my trusty iPad 2 and could see the line propagating about 1/2" behind my finger as i drew at a normal quick pace. so yes, it does matter. i plan on getting a new iPad next month, so i'll check that out then and see if there is a noticeable improvement. my wife has our 5s right now, but i'll check that out next. 

i can see now that a difference of 50 ms really does make a difference in user experience.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Agawi TouchMark contrasts iPad's fast screen response to laggy Android tablets
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Agawi TouchMark contrasts iPad's fast screen response to laggy Android tablets