or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Piper: More than half of teens own an iPhone, iPad immensely popular
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Piper: More than half of teens own an iPhone, iPad immensely popular

post #1 of 46
Thread Starter 
Apple's iPhone and iPad remain popular among young people, according to a new study that shows the iPhone in the hands of more than half of American teens.



The new figures come from Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster, who found that the iPhone represented nearly 55 percent of all phones used by teens in the United States. That figure is up seven percentage points from the last Piper study conducted in April of this year. Also, 65 percent of teens said they planned for their next phone to be an iPhone, up from 62 percent in April. 65 percent of teens said they planned for their next phone to be an iPhone, up from 62 percent in April.

The iPad also enjoys considerable popularity among American teens, with 68 percent of tablet-holding teens reporting that they own an iPad. Among tablet-owning teens, 60 percent reported they owned a full-size iPad, while eight percent reported owning an iPad mini. Those teens saying that they plan to buy a tablet in the next six months are overwhelmingly future Apple buyers, with the iPad holding a 64 percent share.

The results, while already positive for Apple, indicate that the iPad maker may still have room to grow. Nearly half of teens do not yet own a tablet, though that number shrank five percentage points over the past six months. Should those teens hold to their survey responses, Apple's market share among young people is likely only to increase.

Piper Jaffray's survey is built on interviews with thousands of teens from high-income families (household income above $104,000) and similar visits with more teens from average-income families ($54,000). The study had a total participant pool of 8,643.
post #2 of 46
Oh but wait, I thought all the Samsung ads says Apple iPhone was only popular with "old" people? Samsung wrong again? Say it ain't so.
post #3 of 46
OH MY GOD, PETER MISEK WAS RIGHT!!

Wall Street sentiment has changed towards Apple. There are numerous analysts changing their tone towards Apple.

Why? What has changed so dramatically in their collective view about Apple since Apple stuffed the channels with 9 million collecting dust iPhones?

Could it be the 5s 64-bit processor is not a gimmick? Could it be that customers are actually using the fingerprint scanner to make purchases on iTunes, the App Store and the iBook Store? Could it be that iBeacons is actually being accepted and deployed faster and more widely than NFC for indoor mapping AND digital payments? Could it be that Apple actually has been innovative even though so many analysts wanted to completely dismantle the company while promoting... (I cannot bring myself to type that name)

Okay, I have too much ranting coming out of me. 😊
post #4 of 46

If you want to make a 15 year old girl cry this Xmas, give her a phone that is something other than an iPhone!

 

And while your at it, give her a tablet that is something other than an iPad.

post #5 of 46
tomorrow he will say that apple is domed!!
post #6 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

OH MY GOD, PETER MISEK WAS RIGHT!!

Wall Street sentiment has changed towards Apple. There are numerous analysts changing their tone towards Apple.

Why? What has changed so dramatically in their collective view about Apple since Apple stuffed the channels with 9 million collecting dust iPhones?

Could it be the 5s 64-bit processor is not a gimmick? Could it be that customers are actually using the fingerprint scanner to make purchases on iTunes, the App Store and the iBook Store? Could it be that iBeacons is actually being accepted and deployed faster and more widely than NFC for indoor mapping AND digital payments? Could it be that Apple actually has been innovative even though so many analysts wanted to completely dismantle the company while promoting... (I cannot bring myself to type that name)

Okay, I have too much ranting coming out of me. 😊

 

I encourage you to let it out before it consumes your soul :)

post #7 of 46

Billions of activations though........billions and billions and billions of activations......millions per second.......essentially every person in the entire world activates an Android phone every day............Android is more secure than iPhone..........iPhone is only for old people............trust me

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

Reply

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

Reply
post #8 of 46
US ≠ World

Please say more than half of US teens.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #9 of 46

No young person I know is content with their non-iPhone.  Apple products are the [edit] apex.

 

My niece, a freshman high schooler, absolutely lusts for a 5s, wants nothing to do with even a 5c.  She currently owns a current-gen iPod Touch, a iPad, a Mac Mini.... and an Android phone that can't seem to hold a charge worth a flip.

 

Another niece, college-graduated, and in her first "real" day job, bemoans her Android phone as unreliable, and has put her name on the waiting list for a silver 5s, and is paying extra to get out of her current contract, to boot.

 

My daughter keeps pestering for an iPhone... at her college, it's a status symbol (she already owns a MBP).  Her frustration will likely go through the roof when her brother receives one as his college graduation gift later this fall.  (Which is ironic, because it's not as important to him.)


Edited by PScooter63 - 10/8/13 at 9:43pm
post #10 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

US ≠ World

Please say more than half of US teens.

 

China = 1/2 the world. iPhone 5S Gold is the most wanted item in that country.

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

Reply

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

Reply
post #11 of 46
Not an accurate statement. Sample did not include all teens since lower SES did not seem included. Not enough money does put kids at a disadvantage (if one assumes there is an advantage to having these devices). In any case, the feeling of being disadvantaged is certainly real and damaging.
post #12 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Billions of activations though........billions and billions and billions of activations......millions per second.......essentially every person in the entire world activates an Android phone every day............Android is more secure than iPhone..........iPhone is only for old people............trust me

Hey quite down, Eric Schmuck er I mean Schmidt said so. 1wink.gif
post #13 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

OH MY GOD, PETER MISEK WAS RIGHT!!

Wall Street sentiment has changed towards Apple. There are numerous analysts changing their tone towards Apple.

Why? What has changed so dramatically in their collective view about Apple since Apple stuffed the channels with 9 million collecting dust iPhones?

Could it be the 5s 64-bit processor is not a gimmick? Could it be that customers are actually using the fingerprint scanner to make purchases on iTunes, the App Store and the iBook Store? Could it be that iBeacons is actually being accepted and deployed faster and more widely than NFC for indoor mapping AND digital payments? Could it be that Apple actually has been innovative even though so many analysts wanted to completely dismantle the company while promoting... (I cannot bring myself to type that name)

Okay, I have too much ranting coming out of me. 😊

Good rant!

I just got my 5S today (stayed up late with mon ami Francois, Jaques Daniels -- and missed the order opening by 1 hour)... It is amazing (even though I haven't had much time to play) -- I am writing this as I restore the 5S from my 5 backup.

I am writing an indoor mapping/navigation app using iBeacons -- works pretty well except nobody is shipping any beacons yet... That means you have to use a iPhone 4S, iPad 3 or better to act as beacons. You need at least 3 beacons plus the target to determine location (trilateration)... So, I am tying up several thousands of $ of iDevices (plugged in and running) instead of $120 worth of beacons.

Anyway, I suspect the iPad announcement will have A7X APUs and some unexpected other stuff -- that will blow us all away!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #14 of 46

....according to a new study that shows the iPhone in the hands of more than half of American teens from high and and middle income families.  Piper Piper Jaffray didn't survey low income families because they couldn't care less about what they buy.

 

 

post #15 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post
 

 Piper Piper Jaffray didn't survey low income families because they couldn't care less about what they buy.

 

That's exactly what I've always been saying. Far too much emphasis is placed on people with no money. Who cares about them? They have no purchasing power and they are pretty much irrelevant. Apple is far too busy selling devices to people who have money, than to bother with those who do not. What kind of a business strategy is that? To target customers who have no money? That's not exactly a lucrative market. Android and friends already has that no profit market covered. 

post #16 of 46

<Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post
 

 .... Apple products are the nadir. ...>

 

 

Given the context, I think you mean zenith?

post #17 of 46

The Apple haters and bashers are standing on a big iceberg that is getting smallller and smmaaallleer as it melts.

 

They're losing the young demographic part of the ice, as Apple is tops with teens not just in the USA.

 

They're losing the marketshare part of the ice, as Apple is surging especially in China EVEN BEFORE THE BIG CHINA MOBILE ANNOUCEMENT.

 

They're losing the speedy hardware part of the ice, as Apple has the fastest phones AND Sammy has been caught doping its gear to get better numbers.

 

They don't even compete on the OS, battery life, number of high quality apps, top games, heck the total number of apps....

 

All they got left is one tiny little piece of ice called, MY SCREEN IS BIGGER THAN YOURS.

post #18 of 46
As for me, a teen myself, I see about a 60-90% iPhone to other ratio, but the tablet I notice most just don't have, There are the apple and the Mac lovers(and rare windows), all I know is when I'm told "iPhone is inferior to android because you can't run windows on it".
post #19 of 46
I admit my sample space is not very large, however when I look at all of my friends, family and coworkers I know of several that had Android phones and Blackberry phones. All of those that switched went to the iPhone and say they will never go back. Also of those with iPhones none have every switched to android or any other non-iOS phone. They all plan that their next phone to be another iPhone.

Of those who have switched to the iPhone, some were on Verizon and some on T-Mobile so they waited until the iPhone was available and switched as soon as their contract was up. A couple however paid to break their contract in order to get the iPhone. I have never known anyone who paid to break their contract in order to get a Samsung or other android.
post #20 of 46
A significant number of teens who own an Android tablet probably also own an iPad. Most Android tablets are nothing more than cheap, plastic toys for kids/accident prone people, or price sensitive consumers to watch TV/Movies on.
Edited by masterkona - 10/8/13 at 6:04pm
post #21 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post
 

<Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post
 

 .... Apple products are the nadir. ...>

 

 

Given the context, I think you mean zenith?

Zenith - the quality goes in before the name goes on. :)

post #22 of 46
I hate to be the one saying it (Gatorguy, where are you when we need you?), but those charts don't look all that great for Apple. It's one thing if you just look at the last date, but the trends don't look good. iPad use is going down rapidly. iPhone use not as much.
post #23 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That's exactly what I've always been saying. Far too much emphasis is placed on people with no money. Who cares about them? They have no purchasing power and they are pretty much irrelevant. Apple is far too busy selling devices to people who have money, than to bother with those who do not. What kind of a business strategy is that? To target customers who have no money? That's not exactly a lucrative market. Android and friends already has that no profit market covered. 
Harsh words, but absolutely true. Anyone can sell a phone with a BOGO sales pitch.
post #24 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I hate to be the one saying it (Gatorguy, where are you when we need you?), but those charts don't look all that great for Apple. It's one thing if you just look at the last date, but the trends don't look good. iPad use is going down rapidly. iPhone use not as much.

 

I think that the charts look pretty great for Apple. The majority of teens desire Apple products. iPad Mini ownership is obviously on the way up, since the Mini did not exist before. Combined, iPad + iPad Mini is at 68%, while Android is stuck at the same 23% as the last quarter and the Kindle is down also.

 

The tablet market hasn't gotten any smaller, it's just that more cheap players are entering the market. They pose zero threat to Apple, as Apple is going to keep on selling a ton of iPads, especially with the new ones coming soon. Apple was the first with the iPad, and began the whole current tablet mania. You can only go one way when you begin with an almost 100% marketshare.

post #25 of 46

It's pretty simple, really. Talk down a successful company. Make the stock price drop down. Buy stock. Talk up the company. Make money.

post #26 of 46
I'd imagine these figures scale pretty well for college aged kids too. At the campus near me I'd say a little over half have iPhones. iPhones and Beats by Dre over-the-ear headphones is a very common pairing on campus.
Edited by DroidFTW - 10/8/13 at 7:57pm
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
post #27 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

 

That's exactly what I've always been saying. Far too much emphasis is placed on people with no money. Who cares about them? They have no purchasing power and they are pretty much irrelevant. Apple is far too busy selling devices to people who have money, than to bother with those who do not. What kind of a business strategy is that? To target customers who have no money? That's not exactly a lucrative market. Android and friends already has that no profit market covered. 

 

Whether one emphasizes people with no money, they exist, and stating that 50% of all teens is simply a lie. Even without including low SES, the PJ survey is frankly BS. There is no way in hell this number makes any sense. Over 50% of 13-19 years olds have iDevices -- you've got to blowing smoke up your arss to buy this stat. 

post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

US ≠ World

Please say more than half of US teens.

US = 25% of world economy. US probably equals double that percentage of the smartphone-relevant world economy.

God bless Ireland, but it's possibly a bit of a rounding error, global economy-wise.
post #29 of 46
What about Windows Phone?
What about Steve Ballmer's kids? Did no one survey them?
post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

No young person I know is content with their non-iPhone.  Apple products are the nadir.

Nadir!? Or Zenith?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nadir

PS: I see that a couple of others beat me to it.
Edited by anantksundaram - 10/8/13 at 7:10pm
post #31 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Whether one emphasizes people with no money, they exist, and stating that 50% of all teens is simply a lie. Even without including low SES, the PJ survey is frankly BS. There is no way in hell this number makes any sense. Over 50% of 13-19 years olds have iDevices -- you've got to blowing smoke up your arss to buy this stat. 

If you apply common sense... It's X% OF THOSE SURVEYED and REPRESENTATIVE OF THOSE WHO MATCH THE SURVEY CRITERIA. If you read statistical analyses and don't think in those terms, you are misleading yourself.
post #32 of 46

...and that piece of ice will soon be gone.

post #33 of 46

Not surprised, at all.

Many people want iPads.

I have 2, my brother has one, my mum has one, my dad has one, my step mum has one, my little sister has one, so does my step brother.
If shocked my cat doesn't have one, bet he thinks he's getting one for christmas :P 

post #34 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I hate to be the one saying it (Gatorguy, where are you when we need you?), but those charts don't look all that great for Apple. It's one thing if you just look at the last date, but the trends don't look good. iPad use is going down rapidly. iPhone use not as much.

Make sure you include the iPad mini in there. It is broken out separately.
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Whether one emphasizes people with no money, they exist, and stating that 50% of all teens is simply a lie. Even without including low SES, the PJ survey is frankly BS. There is no way in hell this number makes any sense. Over 50% of 13-19 years olds have iDevices -- you've got to blowing smoke up your arss to buy this stat. 

Why doesn't it? Apple has approaching 50% market share in smart devices in the U.S.

I imagine the "Own an iPhone" is qualified as a percentage of (middle class and up) teens who own a smart phone.
post #36 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Billions of activations though........billions and billions and billions of activations......millions per second.......essentially every person in the entire world activates an Android phone every day............Android is more secure than iPhone..........iPhone is only for old people............trust me

The only true explanation of the billions of Android activations every minute of the day is Google have discovered life on several other planets and Scamsung are sending them there. This also explains the shipment numbers. 1biggrin.gif
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

Not surprised, at all.
Many people want iPads.
I have 2, my brother has one, my mum has one, my dad has one, my step mum has one, my little sister has one, so does my step brother.

If shocked my cat doesn't have one, bet he thinks he's getting one for christmas :P 

Now there is a great idea, an iPad app for a cat, 'catch the mouse' ... plus bringing a mouse to the iPad would make headline news too! 1wink.gif
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #38 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


Now there is a great idea, an iPad app for a cat, 'catch the mouse' ... plus bringing a mouse to the iPad would make headline news too! 1wink.gif

 

http://bit.ly/16wVNbq ;)

post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

If you want to make a 15 year old girl cry this Xmas, give her a phone that is something other than an iPhone!

And while your at it, give her a tablet that is something other than an iPad.

One can just imagine some really (politically incorrect) cruel TV ads. Sad, teenager sitting in corner trying to hide the fact she only has an Android phone .... "What are you doing BettyMay?" "Nothing just looking for my makeup" ... hides Android in handbag while calling ... "Pa, please, I have to have an iPhone I can't go on like this ... "
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by basjhj View Post

http://bit.ly/16wVNbq 1wink.gif

OMG LOL. I was kidding. I have to get that.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Piper: More than half of teens own an iPhone, iPad immensely popular