or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft to bring new Remote Desktop apps to iOS, OS X

Microsoft to bring new Remote Desktop apps to iOS, OS X

post #1 of 28
Microsoft will soon make it easier for iOS and OS X device owners to interface remotely with Windows Servers and Windows machines, as the software giant has announced that a new Microsoft Remote Desktop app will see release later this month.

The announcement was understated, taking up just one sentence in the course of a larger Microsoft press release on enterprise cloud solutions. Still, Thincomputing noted that it is "a pretty big deal," as it signals Redmond's seriousness about the bring-your-own-device trend.

The release states that Microsoft Remote Desktop will see release on iOS, OS X, Android, Windows, and Windows RT. The software giant will push the app to the necessary app stores later in October.

Reportedly, the apps will be feature rich and quite advanced. The iOS Remote Desktop app will reportedly support both iOS 6 and iOS 7, and the Android version is said to support versions of Android all the way back to 2.2 Gingerbread.

The OS X version will reportedly give all of the functionality that a user would expect from a desktop app, with "seamless windows" interaction and "application portals."

The Remote Desktop app is the latest in a trend that has seen Microsoft going against tradition in adapting to the post-PC computing landscape. While its Windows platform has struggled to gain market share in the mobile segment, Android and iOS have taken that segment over, and Microsoft has been under considerable pressure to port its Office productivity suite to those platforms.

Outgoing Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer revealed on Tuesday that a touch-optimized version of Office is in the works for Apple's iPad, but such a version will not appear on Apple's platform until it has seen release on Microsoft's own mobile offerings.
post #2 of 28
So this would be just an RDP application or more of a citrix type experience?

Actually the ability to run outlook on my iPad appeals to me.
post #3 of 28

I wish Apple ends up making Mac Remote Desktop/tablet access for Windows.

post #4 of 28

I hope this includes Terminal Services Gateway Services support...

post #5 of 28
I hope they've finally figured out the basics of saving connection settings to a file in the OS X version. What they have now in 2.1.1 is a confusing mess.
post #6 of 28
Mac already supports a remote control methodology for Windows machines. Turn on screen sharing in the sharing system preference and the machine turns into a VNC server. Load up any VNC client on the windows side and point it to your mac and you're done.

I've had great success with CoRD on the Mac for rdp into Windows machines for a long while now. Haven't used MS RDC since I found it.
post #7 of 28
Yawn.
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yawn.

Good - now sleep thru the rest of the day.

This is a great thing for all of us business professionals that rely on windows everyday and would like access. It's a win win.

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphire View Post

Mac already supports a remote control methodology for Windows machines. Turn on screen sharing in the sharing system preference and the machine turns into a VNC server. Load up any VNC client on the windows side and point it to your mac and you're done.
Thanks installed Vnc for chrome on windows sh8 laptop now can see and control my mac. Works fab. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

So this would be just an RDP application or more of a citrix type experience?

RDP. Although the protocol was actually designed by Citrix, and MS bought it. Though strangely the Wikipedia page doesn't mention this but this is what I learned when taking MSCE course.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #11 of 28

I, personally, don't want any MS products on my iMac or iOS devices. Or in my house, for that matter.

post #12 of 28
There are plenty of Apps for iOS that provides this functionality including VNC App that allows you to RDP. So no new news here.
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I, personally, don't want any MS products on my iMac or iOS devices. Or in my house, for that matter.

I felt the same way, and even vowed that no "MS horse-**** would ever run in my house again". 

We've been 100% Mac since '05 or '06.  iBook G4 started it.

But one needs to log into work from home, which is super useful on school snow days etc, so RDC.  I don't know the version # off the top of my head, but it works well.  Of course there's an error-message to be ignored every single time I use it (it wouldn't be MS without those), but overall it's fine.

It actually gets out of the way and just delivers the remote screen like it should, after VPN-connection.

So when I see a "ton of new features", I just roll my eyes.

post #14 of 28

Will multiple sessions be allowed, as in CoRD?

Otherwise, sticking with CoRD.

post #15 of 28
Apple would make a lot of people very happy if ARD could accommodate iOS. This is the #1 request at each semi-anannual Education Tech Update. They keep pointing everyone towards MDM solutions and 3rd party things (Casper, etc.). The folks at JAMF are great - and the solutions are solid, but it would be nice to have it inside the tent so to speak.
post #16 of 28

MS have offered a Remote Desktop client for Mac for ages. I find it easier to use than the many open source solutions. I wonder if this is a rewrite or not?

post #17 of 28
It makes sense that Microsoft would prioritize their own competing hardware platform, but it's almost as if they forgot (or are no longer) a software company. The Microsoft of the 1990s was riding high on the success of Windows 95, and pundits were widely telling Apple that separating their OS and hardware business was the right thing to do. Even Bill Gates said Apple should do that, so it became common, self-apparent wisdom that Apple should pursue licensing Mac OS and transform itself into a "SOFTWARE COMPANY". Because Microsoft showed the way.

If Microsoft's "SOFTWARE WAY" was indeed the right way to profitability, then they would be interested in selling as many copies of Office on as many platforms as possible: Android, iOS, Windows.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #18 of 28
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
The Remote Desktop app is the latest in a trend that has seen Microsoft going against tradition in adapting to the post-PC computing landscape.

Ballmer would never have approved of this if he were still alive.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #19 of 28

I want to hear the monkey's uncle say it.

post #20 of 28
When I first started reading this story I suspected that Microsoft may not have done this voluntarily, then I read:

"While its Windows platform has struggled to gain market share in the mobile segment, Android and iOS have taken that segment over, and Microsoft has been under considerable pressure to port its Office productivity suite to those platforms."

And that confirmed it. Enterprise pushed MS to do this against their will... Microsoft is no longer dictating to enterprise, it's the other way around now...
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

When I first started reading this story I suspected that Microsoft may not have done this voluntarily, then I read:

"While its Windows platform has struggled to gain market share in the mobile segment, Android and iOS have taken that segment over, and Microsoft has been under considerable pressure to port its Office productivity suite to those platforms."

And that confirmed it. Enterprise pushed MS to do this against their will... Microsoft is no longer dictating to enterprise, it's the other way around now...

It was always the other way around. All the legacy stuff you have in Windows is because Enterprise demands it, not because MS really wants to keep it forever.

But that is why MS is Enterprise.
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

RDP. Although the protocol was actually designed by Citrix, and MS bought it. Though strangely the Wikipedia page doesn't mention this but this is what I learned when taking MSCE course.

I think you are confusing ICA and RDP
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I think you are confusing ICA and RDP

Good point, looks like it. It's been quite a while, those classes.

When looking it up, you come up stuff like this:

"RDP stems FROM Citrix and the ICA protocol. Citrix was suckered into sharing technology with Microsoft so they could get direct access to the underlying API's a few years back. Citrix was smart in that they didn't share the ICA protocol with MS. MS then developed RDP as their thin protocol."

and

"Microsoft's Remote Desktop Protocol, also known as Terminal Services, is basically a Microsoft licensed version of Citrix ICA. Microsoft basically built RDP on top of ICA. IIRC, Citrix sued Microsoft for the feature, which is why Windows XP Pro is only supposed to allow one user logged on at any time"
post #24 of 28
Haven't you heard??? Jump for iOS is fantastic.. on my iPhone, I use a nice little (but no longer updated) app called ServerControl. SC lets you browse directories, selectively turn on/off services.. and reboot/shut down a Windows box.

Jump is configured for VNC and RDP connections.. and has a great interface. MS would have to put out a really nice application to even match what Jump already offers.

Pazuzu.. iOS users have had RDP access to windows since the first week the first iPad was released...
post #25 of 28

Look, I'm running IE, Outlook, Notepad, Calculator, ohhhh... it crashed.

post #26 of 28

Hi. I have a new MacBook Air and want to get into a PC windows server but having trouble getting into the site. It gets to windows but not the site. Using  Microsoft Remote Desktop but works only for iPad, not the MacBook.

How do I get CoRDs? Is it an app or program? Is it free. Thanks for your help

HIker24

post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker24 View Post

Hi. I have a new MacBook Air and want to get into a PC windows server but having trouble getting into the site. It gets to windows but not the site. Using  Microsoft Remote Desktop but works only for iPad, not the MacBook.

How do I get CoRDs? Is it an app or program? Is it free.

CoRDs is at the download link here:

http://cord.sourceforge.net

You should just be able to put in details of your server and access it. There's a Microsoft Remote Desktop app for the Mac too:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=18140
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker24 View Post

How do I get CoRDs? Is it an app or program? Is it free. Thanks for your help

HIker24

Why don't you use the Microsoft Remote Desktop app for the Mac?

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/microsoft-remote-desktop/id715768417?mt=12
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft to bring new Remote Desktop apps to iOS, OS X