or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Mac shipments continue to shrink as Apple loses ground in US PC market

Mac shipments continue to shrink as Apple loses ground in US PC market - Page 4

post #121 of 276
Don't like it? Don't buy it. Let Apple worry about sales.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #122 of 276

We live in a world where the price tag dominates everything. Except then for people to complain the quality is not good enough. What do people expect?

Free aluminum computers with retina displays and one day battery life and a glass trackpad and then also OSX?

Yep.

Critizing what you don't want to buy is getting old stuff.

Most people I know should buy a Mac and use it longer and not buy two or three cheaper PCs in the same amount of time ending with a higher cost....

Anyway. People replace computer much less often than what they used to do because the computer does the job just fine. And Apple computers tend to have a longer lifespan. Believe me. My 17" MacBook Pro with Mavericks lasts some hours more than what it did.

I am thinking about replacing it eventually, but my current setup prevents it.

So I'll wait for maybe next year.

In the hope SSD comes down in price.

post #123 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

This needs to show a relation to tablet sales. Many are replacing PC's with iPads. How does this all shape up with iPads factored in...I would be curious.

Not really relevant to the point of the article though, which is that PC sales are improving while Mac sales are declining. Regardless of what's happening with tablets, people are still buying computers but they're not buying Macs.

post #124 of 276
I suppose there will always be a need for desktops like the iMac and workhorses like the MacPro. I'll definitely replace my 2008 MacPro as soon as the new iteration is out.
post #125 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Whoop de fricking frick. Stay in the naughties, then.

Also everything from every other port available, yeah.

Are you a gorilla or a moron?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

How?

Enjoy your Schmidt.

“huge”… “27”” for “gaming”? Are you sure you know what you’re talking about?

Sure they do.

Yes, you’re part of the group of people who want to hold on to archaic technology and claim it’s the future. If we’re shortsighted, never sign me up for LASIK.

Thanks for the incorrect and terrible segue.

“Throw yourself in next time and rid us of your stupidity.”

Utter tripe and you know it.

I understand what you're saying, but I get his point, too. We gotta remember that forum readers like us are not typical computer buyers. The average schmo has no idea what a Thunderbolt is or why he'd need or want one. On the other hand, he DOES know that the shiny box at SuperStuff has a slot in the side so he can play his movies, which seems like it would be convenient (and as recently as yesterday new release movies from Apple still cost 25% more than physical discs from Amazon).

I know how you feel about touchscreen, but a lot of people are gonna be impressed by it, and even among those who understand the gorilla arm implications there are many who think it's a useful addition to -- not replacement for -- traditional input methods.

And let's face it, Apple products are freakin' expensive. I get the whole "Mercedes vs. Chevy" thing, but I can't afford a Mercedes. I sold my wife on the benefits of SSD until she found out how much it cost. Since then she's been treating me like an idiot with no grasp of value for money. Apple choosing to eschew economies of scale by using proprietary storage formats isn't helping.

Hang around a Best Buy computer department for half-an-hour and listen to the shoppers. Getting them to deviate from Windows is enough of a challenge -- telling them that they're gonna have to give up a couple of gee-whizzeries and pay twice as much is a losing battle.

I VERY much prefer OS X over any version of Windows, but I'm frankly not at all surprised that buyers are choosing other products anyway.

post #126 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

I understand what you're saying, but I get his point, too. We gotta remember that forum readers like us are not typical computer buyers. The average schmo has no idea what a Thunderbolt is or why he'd need or want one. On the other hand, he DOES know that the shiny box at SuperStuff has a slot in the side so he can play his movies, which seems like it would be convenient (and as recently as yesterday new release movies from Apple still cost 25% more than physical discs from Amazon).

I know how you feel about touchscreen, but a lot of people are gonna be impressed by it, and even among those who understand the gorilla arm implications there are many who think it's a useful addition to -- not replacement for -- traditional input methods.

And let's face it, Apple products are freakin' expensive. I get the whole "Mercedes vs. Chevy" thing, but I can't afford a Mercedes. I sold my wife on the benefits of SSD until she found out how much it cost. Since then she's been treating me like an idiot with no grasp of value for money. Apple choosing to eschew economies of scale by using proprietary storage formats isn't helping.

Hang around a Best Buy computer department for half-an-hour and listen to the shoppers. Getting them to deviate from Windows is enough of a challenge -- telling them that they're gonna have to give up a couple of gee-whizzeries and pay twice as much is a losing battle.

I VERY much prefer OS X over any version of Windows, but I'm frankly not at all surprised that buyers are choosing other products anyway.

This is where you lose your credibility.

post #127 of 276

Problems with Mac Line:

-Retina models still are expensive and have little memory (128gb? of course it is ssd but is this an iPad?), no updates in a long time are a joke. Haswell brings tremendous benefits once Apple shows how to use those CPUs. the retina 13" needs iris to be a viable option.

-cMBP are and look outdated and make the whole mac line look bad. Very expensive for what they offer.

-Air is the best laptop around, but has a shitty screen.

-a 17" retina would only do some good.

Maybe just one air model is more than enough (12")? The costs would come down, wouldn't canibalize retina 13", etc.

iMacs saw haswell too late. It's a crime to use 5400rpm drives. People see the possibility of a 4k screen around the corner.

The mini is a joke as it is. Terribly outdated and expensive despite great form factor.

Pros are waiting for the Pro.

OSX and especially iWork and iLife need more focus.

post #128 of 276
Quote:

Which was a year in the decade known as the… *gestures for you to continue* (Where’s the anticipation emoji? This’ll have to do) 😯

I read it wrong, apologies then.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #129 of 276

I'm ready to update the 21.5 inch iMac in my office - but I refuse to buy a computer that requires a trip back to the factory to update or expand the RAM.  My only choice is the 27 inch iMac - overkill for my desk.  I'll probably buy a used or refurbished "fat" iMac if mine dies.  The desire for the iMac to be thin is insane.  I'd like a 21.5" iMac with removable RAM, a pair of USB ports on the front, and a built-in CD/DVD drive.  My checkbook is ready ....

Photoshop User 2
Photoshop User 2
post #130 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Problems with Mac Line:

-Retina models still are expensive and have little memory (128gb? of course it is ssd but is this an iPad?), no updates in a long time are a joke. Haswell brings tremendous benefits once Apple shows how to use those CPUs. the retina 13" needs iris to be a viable option.
-cMBP are and look outdated and make the whole mac line look bad. Very expensive for what they offer.

Maybe just one air model is more than enough (12")? The costs would come down, wouldn't canibalize retina 13", etc.

iMacs saw haswell too late. It's a crime to use 5400rpm drives. People see the possibility of a 4k screen around the corner.
The mini is a joke as it is. Terribly outdated and expensive despite great form factor.

Then don't buy one. Problem solved. Considering that you had no intention of buying one, anyway (based on your endless anti-Apple rants), it's no loss.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #131 of 276
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post
Apple OS X device sales are dropping, but marketshare is growing against Windows.  Wow - that's fucking awesome.  Our sales aren't shit, but dammit we're doing better than Windows!  See - we got an extra 1% marketshare in 2013!  Woo-hoo! If OS X marketshare is growing against Windows, it’s because Windows sales are dropping faster than OS X sales…

And this is…  …somehow… …bad? It’s more marketshare.

Originally Posted by wierdninja View Post
Walk into any Best Buy and there are aisles and aisles of blurays. Everyone I know buys blurays and has a collection of blurays. My PS3 plays bluray beautifully. As for every other PC maker, bluray drives are a matter of fact. Bluray will be around for a long time.

Blu-ray won’t see the end of the decade. That’s not conditional, by the way; I’m including the new 200GB discs in that, as well.

I, as a fan of Apple was just thinking out loud, about how nice it would be to have an internal bluray drive that played on OSX natively.

Great. It’s not 2007 anymore. How about thinking out loud about how nice it would be to have actually modern technology in a Mac?

Get your head out of your -ss. By the way moron, I do play bluray on my iMac via external drive and an third party software. The only thing mind numbing is to have to answer a flat headed moronic Neanderthal like you because you can't say anything without insulting someone. Your words are beyond stupid. I only responded to you because I think you are the troll. You just prove your ignorance by opening your mouth. Now I'll just go any watch a Bluray and laugh about what a dope you are.
How would you know, you're dead from the neck up.
 I have said nothing derogatory to anyone in this forum.

Not one of your arguments have any facts to support anything you say.

Thanks for summing up all of your posts for when they’re deleted.

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
I read it wrong, apologies then.

I figured as much; not many people use ’naughties’. :lol: 

Edited by Tallest Skil - 10/10/13 at 5:56am

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #132 of 276

Love my MBA 11", LOVE my new iPhone 5s  !

Still love my old Quad G5....  BUT, my credit card is waiting for the new Mac Pro !   Come on Apple :-)

post #133 of 276
Quote:

Blu-ray won’t see the end of the decade. That’s not conditional, by the way; I’m including the new 200GB discs in that, as well.

Careful how you word things. VHS tapes still exist and I bet these Luddites would still agree that VHS is a dead technology. The point being, without properly wording your comment you'd easily be wrong no matter how unused Blu-ray actually is.

One thing that should tell people that Blu-ray isn't working in the modern era is that even among optical discs it's still a distant second to DVD Check out the next Red Box kiosk you see and check how many of them are Blu-ray. But Red Box is for the el cheapo crowd so Blu-ray isn't a big deal to them, right? I guess that would be a valid argument if Blockbuster didn't crumble years ago and Netflix didn't move the majority of its business to streaming.

The worst part of my comment that the dissenters won't see is that we're only talking about optical media used for studio video. Which was always much stronger than using optical media for moving around every bit of PC data. These people that claim they need to burn DVDs for PC backups are probably still having to re-input manually their contact lists after they get a new flip phone.
Edited by akqies - 10/10/13 at 6:23am
post #134 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

Posts like yours are why we can't have nice things

Wat. Apple's Monitors are among the best offered anywhere with few exceptions.

True but they are extremely overpriced,  you can purchase two monitors for the same price with the exact same LG panel found in Apples 27" with more inputs. For the same price you can have the incredible 27” NEC MultiSync PA272W-BK, which is probably one of the most incredible none 4K monitors out there.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #135 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

True but they are extremely overpriced,  you can purchase two monitors for the same price with the exact same LG panel found in Apples 27" with more inputs. For the same price you can have the incredible 27” NEC MultiSync PA272W-BK, which is probably one of the most incredible none 4K monitors out there.

No you can't.
post #136 of 276
The reason why back in 2008 I bought a mac, to leave definitively the PC world, is because I was tired of changing a PC every year and a half, because of degrading performance by the days, and the need to format at least twice a year because of OS becoming full of garbage.

I had a MBP late 2010, it works really well, I am a programmer, I customized my environment to suit my needs, and my productivity increase for about 10% once I relied all my "ecosystem" on Apple family (iphone, ipad, icloud...ecc). Plus I feel, as a consultant, that I have a machine that someone has take great care when it has being built, and I can go working to a client without any worry.

The point is that all is working fine, and this is what I expected, to not worry about the need of switching hardware and start over, and therefore to concentrate on my daily work. So, why should I buy a new MBP or iMac if the one I have is already perfect (for me) ?
post #137 of 276
Quote:

The NEC PA272W-BK, list price is about $600 more than the Apple Thunderbolt monitor, street price is around $300 higher and it's the same resolution.  I just checked with a PC reseller and the PA272W-BK, was out of stock.

The other advantage of the Apple monitor is if you buy AppleCare with the computer, the monitor is covered and Apple fixes the monitor on the premises rather than sending it back to NEC for them to fix it.  So the Apple has that advantage as well.

Edited by drblank - 10/10/13 at 6:47am
post #138 of 276
The reason why back in 2008 I bought a mac, to leave definitively the PC world, is because I was tired of changing a PC every year and a half, because of degrading performance by the days, and the need to format at least twice a year because of OS becoming full of garbage.

I had a MBP late 2010, it works really well, I am a programmer, I customized my environment to suit my needs, and my productivity increase for about 10% once I relied all my "ecosystem" on Apple family (iphone, ipad, icloud...ecc). Plus I feel, as a consultant, that I have a machine that someone has take great care when it has being built, and I can go working to a client without any worry.

The point is that all is working fine, and this is what I expected, to not worry about the need of switching hardware and start over, and therefore to concentrate on my daily work. So, why should I buy a new MBP or iMac if the one I have is already perfect (for me) ?
post #139 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo Celati View Post

So, why should I buy a new MBP or iMac if the one I have is already perfect (for me) ?

You shouldn't, if all is working perfectly for you. But you also need to consider that time is money. So the question you need to ask yourself is: Would getting a new MBP help increase my productivity for a given time frame? If the answer is yes, even after you consider the time to purchase it and migrate your account from your Time Machine backup (which I'm sure you do since it's a production machine), and the cost to buy a new machine and the negative cost you get from selling your old machine will turn into money earned over the projected life of the machine, then you should do it. No one can answer this expect you.
post #140 of 276
I bought the newest late-2012 21" iMac to the max and am a bit underwhelmed. The screen is dated and the coating picks up the slightest fingerprints and is a bitch to get clean.
I'm spoiled with my retina iPhone and iPad.
Hopefully Mavericks will bring me back to it.
post #141 of 276
When was the last time you saw an iMac ad? You have to market. Apple left iMac for dead
post #142 of 276
Quote:

Nonsense.

The best price I could find on that NEC monitor was $999 plus shipping.

For the same $999, you can get the Apple display with Thunderbolt - and free shipping.

For only $800 more, you get that screen (if you are correct about it being the same panel - which I doubt given how 99.9% of everything you post is wrong), you get a 27" 3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB (two 4GB) memory
1TB hard drive1
NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M with 1GB video memory
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #143 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

I bought the newest late-2012 21" iMac to the max and am a bit underwhelmed. The screen is dated and the coating picks up the slightest fingerprints and is a bitch to get clean.
I'm spoiled with my retina iPhone and iPad.
Hopefully Mavericks will bring me back to it.

Why are you touching your computer screen? And what's dated about the screen?
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #144 of 276
Originally Posted by akqies View Post
Careful how you word things. VHS tapes still exist

Exist, sure, but they’re not being manufactured. Nor are VCRs.

post #145 of 276
Quote:

Not really relevant to the point of the article though, which is that PC sales are improving while Mac sales are declining. Regardless of what's happening with tablets, people are still buying computers but they're not buying Macs.

Aren't these shipments?
Quote:

Problems with Mac Line:

Problems? The vast majority of Mac buyers wouldn't care about a lot of these things.
post #146 of 276
Quote:

Careful how you word things. VHS tapes still exist and I bet these Luddites would still agree that VHS is a dead technology. The point being, without properly wording your comment you'd easily be wrong no matter how unused Blu-ray actually is.

You know he means. Blockbuster video ain't coming back in 2020.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #147 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Quote:

Aren't these shipments?
Quote:

Problems with Mac Line:

Problems? The vast majority of Mac buyers wouldn't care about a lot of these things.

So they wouldn't care about shitty pathetic outdated screens and 128gb storage on a pro machine? Or iWork and iLife?

Yeh right.

post #148 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

There are a couple other reasons why Apple's Share is shrinking

1) Win8... to run win8 most people buy new PCs... it's usually the easiest and cheapest way to upgrade.
2) OSX Lion/Mavericks.... to run the latest version of Mac's OS most people... upgrade their current device to the current OS on their current machine.

3) Average useful lifespan of an Mac product is arguably 1.5-2X the length of a PC product (ARGUABLY - Mac laptops are typically more sturdy, and with a greater percentage having no spinning disk, this makes them more reliable, and with less spamware (not no, but less), they degrade over time a bit better than your XP/SP2 or Win7 system.

Well said. The only thing I'd disagree with is the multiplier on life span, I suspect the differential is even larger. Plus of course the value of an older Mac is incredibly high. PC users always forget to factor in the Mac's residual when comparing prices. It's like the difference leasing cars, you can lease Lexus for less than a Ford costing half the price. It's all about depreciation! Point being, as you say we can keep our Macs longer whereas a massive proportion of PC sales are simply because it's cheaper to buy a replacement than fix the piece of crap you already own. Ironically, in the long term they pay far more than a Mac buyer but they will never admit it. But it all keeps those PC sales churning ...
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #149 of 276
Quote:

So they wouldn't care about shitty pathetic outdated screens and 128gb storage on a pro machine? Or iWork and iLife?

Yeh right.

Ask anyone what a 4k screen is. Ask anyone if iLife and iWork works for them as it is. The vast majority wouldn't know the former and is satisfied with the latter.
post #150 of 276
Quote:

Exist, sure, but they’re not being manufactured. Nor are VCRs.

I bet optical discs in some form will still be manufactured in 2020. I see you set up you arguments with too many holes that can be exploited with your one liners. Just try to be more thorough in your responses and you'll prevent this from happening.
post #151 of 276
post #152 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Nonsense.

The best price I could find on that NEC monitor was $999 plus shipping.

For the same $999, you can get the Apple display with Thunderbolt - and free shipping.

For only $800 more, you get that screen (if you are correct about it being the same panel - which I doubt given how 99.9% of everything you post is wrong), you get a 27" 3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB (two 4GB) memory
1TB hard drive1
NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M with 1GB video memory
I din't say the NEC had the same panel.  Monospace and a few others use the same panel as Apple. The 27" monitor from Apple was released in July of 2011, why is it still 1,000 dollars? Fore the money though I rather have a pimped out Mac Mini and then buy a 27" AOC monitor, adds up to the same price with 16GB of ram (purchased from eBay, 300.00 vs 120.00), Fusion Drive, faster CPU rating of 8352 vs.7616 though the graphics are better on the iMac. Then pocket the difference for a good NAS drive.

Edited by Relic - 10/10/13 at 8:41am
post #153 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Quote:

Yeh right.

Ask anyone what a 4k screen is. Ask anyone if iLife and iWork works for them as it is. The vast majority wouldn't know the former and is satisfied with the latter.

They know the air's screen is shitty against "full hd" and similar stuff and the only reason for Apple to use such crappy panel is:

Greed. Instead of dividends they should focus on these things.

post #154 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

The NEC PA272W-BK, list price is about $600 more than the Apple Thunderbolt monitor, street price is around $300 higher and it's the same resolution.  I just checked with a PC reseller and the PA272W-BK, was out of stock.

The other advantage of the Apple monitor is if you buy AppleCare with the computer, the monitor is covered and Apple fixes the monitor on the premises rather than sending it back to NEC for them to fix it.  So the Apple has that advantage as well.

The monitor can be had for 1,000, what you said is all true I just want to know why the Apple monitor which is already two years old is still sold at 1,000 dollars. Especially when newer, better monitors can be had for less.

post #155 of 276

It's amazing how low your technical comprehension is. The same model number on a component does not mean that the components are identical. Even if they were identical in their functional capacities there are still an innumerable number of factors to consider, including the calibration of the display. Why don't you actually read a fuçking review instead of posting stupid links.
post #156 of 276
Quote:

They know the air's screen is shitty against "full hd" and similar stuff and the only reason for Apple to use such crappy panel is:

Greed. Instead of dividends they should focus on these things.
Ha. The avg consumer wouldn't know the difference between 720p and 1080p and 1080i.
post #157 of 276
Quote:

It's amazing how low your technical comprehension is. The same model number on a component does not mean that the components are identical. Even if they were identical in their functional capacities there are still an innumerable number of factors to consider, including the calibration of the display. Why don't you actually read a fuçking review instead of posting stupid links.

Why do you assume I didn't, I've read the reviews and they all said the same thing, the monitor is on par with the Apple display in terms of viewing quality because it's the same panel, color gamut as well. It amazes me how rude some of you are.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2049042/monoprice-glass-panel-pro-review-affordable-alternative-to-apple-display.html

http://www.macworld.com/product/1252517/27-ips-led-crystalpro-monitor-wqhd.html

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/mac/entry/monoprice-27-ips-led-crystalpro-monitor/

...and two more that are cheap with fantastic panel technology

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/aoc-i2757fh-viewsonic-vx2770smh-ah-ips,3385.html

Yes the Apple is prettier and includes Thunderbolt but a two year old panel that started at 1,000 dollars has no business still being a 1,000 dollars. Not when other manufactures are starting to use the same panel in their cheaper models. That's my whole point, I'm not bad mouthing Apple here so don't take it so personal.

Edited by Relic - 10/10/13 at 8:19am
post #158 of 276

Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdninja View Post
The new iMac's are nice.

I agree.

Quote:

But, no DVD drive built in or even hope of Blu-ray.

That's the same stance people tried to take on floppy drives. How's that collection of floppies working out for you? There's no optical drives on any tablet either, why is nobody complaining about that? The answer is that by and large, consumer usage habits don't require it. The optical drive is a vestigial organ that has little use for most. Even for desktops & laptops, digital distribution of consumer (including gaming) and professional software as well as A/V media is has become the norm. If you're already really invested in the optical media though - buy an external drive (you can even get a DVD+BD burner if you like). Don't want to re-buy the library of several hundred DVD's you've picked up over the years from a digital store? Rip them yourself using the aforementioned external drive (I did, it's been great having all those old DVD's available at the push of a button).

Quote:

Thunderbolt ports with nothing to plug into it other than a couple of high priced HDDs i cant even find at my local Best Buy.

Your personal ability to locate them notwithstanding, Sonnet, Belkin, LaCie, Promise, Blackmagic, ElGato and other hardware manufacturers would like to disagree. That one Thunderbolt port can also provide a point of connection (and plentiful bandwidth) for virtually every other kind of input: Fiber Channel, Gigabit Ethernet, USB, Firewire, eSATA, ExpressCard/34, analog & digital audio capture and output, analog & digital video capture. It also provides an easy way to continue using some of those legacy PCI cards you may still have via one of several manufacturers expansion chassis. Coupled with the fact that DisplayPort is piggy-backed on it, it more or less provides universal pipe for any connectivity you might need. It does all that without physically cluttering your computer with an array of ports (most of which any giver individual may never use), and without adding the overhead for the connectivity one doesn't need. And yes, there are already products on shelves to do all that.

Quote:

No touch screen like many Windows 8 PCs now enjoy. 

And until there's a paradigm shift and someone creates an operating environment that makes touchscreen input truly meaningful on a typical desktop computing configuration, that's virtually useless.

Quote:

Having to reach behind the iMac to plug in an SD card or USB memory stick is downright awkward and backwards, bordering on the impossible at times.

Some people more than others. However, this goes back to the first point regarding optical drives. Why go out of your way to accommodate something that isn't an issue for the majority of your target audience? The sneaker-net is on it's last legs. It's given way as digital devices have become increasingly wireless-networking enabled, and wireless networks have seen their performance increase so much. Apple's Bonjour and AirDrop technologies are aimed directly at addressing this issue. Coupled with 'cloud' storage, the portable storage device has a limited lifespan left. So why make significant design decisions around a 'feature' that you don't have a reason to think is valuable to most of your user base? And if it is an issue for any particular user, they can get an extra USB hub and/or SD card reader to accommodate their special needs.

Quote:

I have a 2011 iMac which I love, but may be my last iMac. Dell's latest 27 inch All in one, is pretty compelling. Hdmi in, Blu-Ray, touchscreen, are all there. Other PC makers offer you these extras too. No matter what Apple's ideals are, people still want these options in their PCs.

Ah, you've fallen prey to the marketing. "Now you too can do all those things..." (not that you actually will, or even want to, but you could. ;)) People have been convinced they want all the bells and whistles, but in fact what they want is the particular options that satisfy their needs. The difference between Apple and most (if not all) other manufacturers is that apple does considerable research on usage, and builds to the majority of the actual usage patterns - the others take the kitchen sink approach and toss a plethora of 'features' in (many of which end up unused by the majority). With an iMac, for example, you still have the option of doing all those things via the expansion options, but not at the expense of cramming more hardware into the box that many of us won't use.

Quote:

Granted a lot of Apples sales are now iPads,

Not sure how this is relevant...

Quote:

there will always be a market for people who need and want the versatility and the power of a full blown PC.

Define "power". Is that raw compute power? If so the quad-core i7 iMac is actually a pretty potent contender. If, on the other hand, you need the absolute maximum render capability, then any all-in-one solution (including the iMac) is probably not going to be viable. For anything less than that, the iMac is one of the better options out there. Is there another relevant, meaningful measure of power specific to the computer you're thinking of?

People toss around the word, but what is "versatility"? Does internal expansion or options soldered to the mainboard define 'versatile' in this context? Why? All things being equal, does placing a hard drive in an external case cause it to transfer data slower? Does a disk in an external optical drive burn slower? Does a mouse connected to an external hub not track as quickly? Cramming everything into the box doesn't make it all function any better, and can be a significant liability.

Quote:

We still watch DVDs and Blu-rays.

But less and less with every passing day. I'm curious, are you watching them on your computer, or on a big-screen? If it's the former, you can still watch them just as easily (actually, easier) if you rip them. If it's the latter, you can still watch them just as easily (again, if not even more so, via an AppleTV, for example).

Quote:

Many of us have capped internet plans, so steaming everything or downloading media is not an option.

Of course, we all work with what we have, and I refer you to my previous point.

Quote:

We still would like to use our huge 27 inch monitors for our Xbox's or PS3's(once an option on iMac's).

I know that there those that do, however I prefer my games on my 60" plasma. But if you must, then I refer you to the Kanex HD, it'll allow you to send an HDMI signal to your iMac in target display mode.

Quote:

Even on the MacPro side, expandability, has become limited to a mass of wires.

No, it really hasn't. And if extra cabling is your bane, there are already expansion chassis options available that over a thunderbolt connection will hold multiple PCI cards and a dozen hard/optical drives in one box. Problem solved with one extra connection - plus, you're not overheating those devices by locking them in the oven heated by the main processor (and GPUs). The only thing you can't realistically do with a design like the new MacPro is expand with more GPUs, and even that will only hold true for a couple more iterations of bus technology like Thunderbolt - at which point there won't be any difference.

Quote:

Apple has lost its way for me.

Or rather, Apple has a vision which you haven't had the opportunity to come to understand yet. ;)

Quote:

Apple keeps taking away options.

The floppy drive agrees ... but were the options things we actually need? The upside though, is that in return for taking away optional uselessness, we're given useful possibilities. :)

Quote:

iTunes is definitely one motivation for them. Make it dramatically easier to download something rather than just pop in a disc.

Yeah, I hate it when companies make it easier for me to do things too... :/

Quote:

I guess I'm part of the marketshare Apple is no longer interested in keeping.

Don't worry, you can change. ;)

Quote:

This is shortsighted.

You think that because you don't have the longview.

Quote:

Android tablets are getting better and better with each passing year. iOS 7 just looks horrid on an iPad. So marketshare will shrink there too in time. I love OSX. I love iOS 6.

You've skipped the tracks a bit here, but:

No Android tablets are not getting better, well not in any practical sense anyhow.

- I'd disagree on iOS 7 aesthetics, but that's subjective anyway.

- Your conclusion regarding marketshare isn't supported by your statements.

- It's great that you love OS X and iOS 6.

Quote:

The hardware is not enough to keep me buying anymore.

What hardware are you actually missing by opting for an iMac over some other all-in-one (that can't be had with an add-on)?

Quote:

Maybe Its just time to move back to Windows. SIGH....

Or you could just run Windows in a VM or with the help of BootCamp. :)

post #159 of 276

Greatrix,

Just bought a new 27" iPad. Trouble is, my old 24" iPad is getting a bit cramped. It is bristling with external paraphernalia. Am giving it to the wife. Now have the task of transferring my Adobe programs etc. to the new machine.

post #160 of 276

These don't have a TB hub, often overlooked when people compare 27" prices. Specifically ignored when 'reviewed' by 'reviewers'.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Mac shipments continue to shrink as Apple loses ground in US PC market