or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Mac shipments continue to shrink as Apple loses ground in US PC market
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mac shipments continue to shrink as Apple loses ground in US PC market - Page 5

post #161 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by argonaut View Post

Love my MBA 11", LOVE my new iPhone 5s  !

Still love my old Quad G5....  BUT, my credit card is waiting for the new Mac Pro !   Come on Apple :-)

Talk about old school. Skip that, talk about SM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigod View Post

When was the last time you saw an iMac ad? You have to market. Apple left iMac for dead

By constantly innovating it further?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Why are you touching your computer screen? And what's dated about the screen?

Maybe he wants to feel her skin.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #162 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatrix View Post

Greatrix,
Just bought a new 27" iPad. Trouble is, my old 24" iPad is getting a bit cramped. It is bristling with external paraphernalia. Am giving it to the wife. Now have the task of transferring my Adobe programs etc. to the new machine.

I want the 24" iPad! 1smile.gif
post #163 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdninja View Post

I think my IQ dropped about 20 points reading your response.

I don't think that's possible when one only has a single digit to work with ¡
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #164 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


I want the 24" iPad! 1smile.gif

Yea, me too, if not just for Angry Birds Star Wars.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #165 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Maybe he wants to feel her skin.

post #166 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdninja View Post

Dell's latest 27 inch All in one, is pretty compelling. Hdmi in, Blu-Ray, touchscreen, are all there. Other PC makers offer you these extras too. No matter what Apple's ideals are, people still want these options in their PCs. .

I suppose if you don't mind paying too much for crapware, that makes sense.

Let's see. Apple's 27" iMac starts at $1799 with 3.2 GHz i5 quad core and 1 GB of video RAM, discrete video, and 8 GB of RAM (expandable to 32 GB)

For $1599, Dell gives you:
400 MHz slower CPU
shared video RAM
Intel graphics
8 GB of RAM (with maximum also at 8 GB)
HDMI and eSATA - both of which are vastly inferior to Apple's Thunderbolt
A history of inferior quality and customer service.
Oh, but you do get a slot loaded DVD drive (for $99, you can get an external DVD drive for your iMac that you can move to different systems).
http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-27-2720-aio/pd?oc=dxcwls394&model_id=xps-27-2720-aio&&ref=2578xc

Sorry, but I fail to see how the Dell is a better deal.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #167 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

One thing that should tell people that Blu-ray isn't working in the modern era is that even among optical discs it's still a distant second to DVD Check out the next Red Box kiosk you see and check how many of them are Blu-ray. But Red Box is for the el cheapo crowd so Blu-ray isn't a big deal to them, right? I guess that would be a valid argument if Blockbuster didn't crumble years ago and Netflix didn't move the majority of its business to streaming.

True.  Streaming is the future- no doubt.  But Blu-Ray's still increase market share quarter after quarter.  It's now 30% vs DVD's 70% of share.  And the first 6 months of 2013- Blu-Ray discs were up 15% in sales.  Internet streaming grew a whopping 32.13%, VOD 6.9% (who uses VOD- weird).  To go more on your point of Blockbuster crumbling and Netflix changing focus: 12.55% decrease in rental brick and mortar, and 20.9% online outlet (netflix).  Redbox showed a 3.59% decrease.

 

But at the end of the day- of the $8.6 Billion in spending- only $1.5 Billion was streaming.  So physical media is still in the lead by a large margin.  And once streaming surpasses it, it will still be a niche.  No way it dies completely before 2020.  My hope is that our ISPs and Digital Media can surpass Blu-Ray's audio (drastically superior) and video quality prior to them becoming extinct.  Until then, I'll be enjoying my Blu-Rays AND streaming Netflix.  :)

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #168 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

True.  Streaming is the future- no doubt.  But Blu-Ray's still increase market share quarter after quarter.  It's now 30% vs DVD's 70% of share.  And the first 6 months of 2013- Blu-Ray discs were up 15% in sales.  Internet streaming grew a whopping 32.13%, VOD 6.9% (who uses VOD- weird).  To go more on your point of Blockbuster crumbling and Netflix changing focus: 12.55% decrease in rental brick and mortar, and 20.9% online outlet (netflix).  Redbox showed a 3.59% decrease.

But at the end of the day- of the $8.6 Billion in spending- only $1.5 Billion was streaming.  So physical media is still in the lead by a large margin.  And once streaming surpasses it, it will still be a niche.  No way it dies completely before 2020.  My hope is that our ISPs and Digital Media can surpass Blu-Ray's audio (drastically superior) and video quality prior to them becoming extinct.  Until then, I'll be enjoying my Blu-Rays AND streaming Netflix.  1smile.gif


You've missed a huge portion of streaming video because you didn't count as supported streaming. If you consider the amount of time per average eyeball streaming kills all optical media. YouTube alone probably kills it.
post #169 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

True.  Streaming is the future- no doubt.  But Blu-Ray's still increase market share quarter after quarter.  It's now 30% vs DVD's 70% of share.  And the first 6 months of 2013- Blu-Ray discs were up 15% in sales.  Internet streaming grew a whopping 32.13%, VOD 6.9% (who uses VOD- weird).  To go more on your point of Blockbuster crumbling and Netflix changing focus: 12.55% decrease in rental brick and mortar, and 20.9% online outlet (netflix).  Redbox showed a 3.59% decrease.

But at the end of the day- of the $8.6 Billion in spending- only $1.5 Billion was streaming.  So physical media is still in the lead by a large margin.  And once streaming surpasses it, it will still be a niche.  No way it dies completely before 2020.  My hope is that our ISPs and Digital Media can surpass Blu-Ray's audio (drastically superior) and video quality prior to them becoming extinct.  Until then, I'll be enjoying my Blu-Rays AND streaming Netflix.  1smile.gif

If it's such a big deal, get one of these:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2402405,00.asp

Having an external box on my Mac isn't a big enough problem to make me want to switch to Windows.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #170 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Why do you assume I didn't, I've read the reviews and they all said the same thing, the monitor is on par with the Apple display in terms of viewing quality because it's the same panel, color gamut as well. It amazes me how rude some of you are.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2049042/monoprice-glass-panel-pro-review-affordable-alternative-to-apple-display.html
http://www.macworld.com/product/1252517/27-ips-led-crystalpro-monitor-wqhd.html
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/mac/entry/monoprice-27-ips-led-crystalpro-monitor/
...and two more that are cheap with fantastic panel technology
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/aoc-i2757fh-viewsonic-vx2770smh-ah-ips,3385.html

Yes the Apple is prettier and includes Thunderbolt but a two year old panel that started at 1,000 dollars has no business still being a 1,000 dollars. Not when other manufactures are starting to use the same panel in their cheaper models. That's my whole point, I'm not bad mouthing Apple here so don't take it so personal.

So besides a low comprehension of technical info you also have a low comprehension of business where you outright claim the most successful PC OEM has "no business" sense.
post #171 of 275
This really seems to have a relationship to product refresh. MacBook Pros have been held hostage for nearly 6 months now. I know I am waiting and have been ever since PCIe storage and Haswells were announced, because it is a major performance update. It would be quite unwise to buy (or have bought) a MBP in the last 6 months, and I highly doubt I'm alone. What the hell is Apple holding out on? They are taking their sweet time pushing the update to the highest selling product, seems fishy. Like there is a plan, but no one (in the outside world) knows what it is.
post #172 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


If it's such a big deal, get one of these:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2402405,00.asp

Having an external box on my Mac isn't a big enough problem to make me want to switch to Windows.

A Samsung product?  Come on now jrag.... :err:

 

I don't think the Mac needs an optical drive, nor do I wish it was still on the iMac- I love the new design.  And I actually use the optical drive- when my wife burns a disc of pictures for her clients, or when I install a digital copy to iTunes from a blu-ray combo pack I've bought (although most studios are moving to downloads w/ no discs- finally!)   I was just talking about optical media.

 

And I agree about Windows.  If I had to pick between using OSX and Android or having to use Windows and iOS- I'd pick no windows and learn to tolerate Android.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #173 of 275
Originally Posted by vitruvius View Post
What the hell is Apple holding out on?


Thunderbolt 2. Pretty simple.

 
…seems fishy.

 

Seems Thunderbolt 2.

 
 Like there is a plan, but no one (in the outside world) knows what it is.  

 

Good! What business is it of yours?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #174 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post


So besides a low comprehension of technical info you also have a low comprehension of business where you outright claim the most successful PC OEM has "no business" sense.

Where are you coming up with this stuff, I never said such things. Just that the current 27" Apple Display (in my opinion) is a very expensive product when compared to the competitions offerings. If you think it's worth it, fine, great, but personally attacking me isn't going to change my mind, chase me off, nor will you gain any support from other members in this thread. As a new member I would recommend you getting to know people a little better before calling them idiots. Why not share as to why you think it's worth the price tag instead of trying to belittle me when you have zero information as to my background or technical knowledge. Philboogie mentioned that the inclusion of a TB hub might be the killer feature people are looking for and as TB hubs aren't cheap might explain the inflated price. I didn't think about it because it's something I personally don't need because I like to hide my external drives but it makes sense. That's how your supposed to discuss a topic, not jump down someones throat because you do not share their opinions.


Edited by Relic - 10/10/13 at 12:49pm
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #175 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 


Thunderbolt 2. Pretty simple.

 

 

Yep, I think that is the case. That is going to be so great for a external RAID setup, one of the top features I can't wait for.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #176 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Where are you coming up with this stuff, I never said such things. Just that the current 27" Apple Display (in my opinion) is a very expensive product when compared to the competitions offerings. If you think it's worth it, fine, great, but personally attacking me isn't going to change my mind, chase me off, nor will you gain any support from other members in this thread. As a new member I would recommend you getting to know people a little better before calling them idiots. Why not share as to why you think it's worth the price tag instead of trying to belittle me when you have zero information as to my background or technical knowledge. Philboogie mentioned that the inclusion of a TB hub might be the killer feature people are looking for and as TB hubs aren't cheap might explain the inflated price. I didn't think about it because it's something I personally don't need because I like to hide my external drives but it makes sense. That's how your supposed to discuss a topic, not jump down someones throat because you do not share their opinions.

You attack people constantly with your passive-agressive comments and complaining. All you do is troll this forum.

I don't think I called you an idiot but now that you mention it you have deduced that I'm not familiar with the people that post here only because I only started posting here recently. Your logic is that my ability to read and my ability to write on this forum are somehow tied together. Are you really not aware that you can read this site without first being an active member?

Again, it's more than just the TB hub. It's more than just the video passthrough. It's more than just the GigE, USB hub, and other ports that are offered via TB. It's more than just the quality casing and components. It's more than just the good factory calibration. It's more than the quality panel.

You've also still failed to see how the same panel right down to the model number and date it was manufactured can be different, and therefore not be good enough for Apple or other vendors wanting a professional panel but be fine for vendors that don't mine selling components to a less quality conscious crowd.
post #177 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
 

Where are you coming up with this stuff, I never said such things. Just that the current 27" Apple Display (in my opinion) is a very expensive product when compared to the competitions offerings. If you think it's worth it, fine, great, but personally attacking me isn't going to change my mind, chase me off, nor will you gain any support from other members in this thread. As a new member I would recommend you getting to know people a little better before calling them idiots. Why not share as to why you think it's worth the price tag instead of trying to belittle me when you have zero information as to my background or technical knowledge. Philboogie mentioned that the inclusion of a TB hub might be the killer feature people are looking for and as TB hubs aren't cheap might explain the inflated price. I didn't think about it because it's something I personally don't need because I like to hide my external drives but it makes sense. That's how your supposed to discuss a topic, not jump down someones throat because you do not share their opinions.

Relic, you brought up a specific NEC monitor that SUGGESTED US LIST PRICE IS $1299 or the $1549 version with a calibration unit, the Thunderbolt Monitor, which is near it's end of life is $999. Obviously, Apple sells monitors because they sell computers and they have customers that buy their products and want the same mfg for the monitor as the computer, and they cover the monitor with AppleCare when you buy it with your computer system.  When you buy 3rd party products, it's one more company you might have to deal with when it comes to servicing, etc. I'm sure the NEC monitor is nice.  But the NEC is more expensive, in terms of SUGGESTED RETAIL LIST PRICE.   It isn't less expensive, it's MORE expensive, especially when you factor in tax on top of the more expensive price tag.

 

Apple does make a darn nice monitor, they do have nice power supplies inside, they do spend time calibrating in the mfg of them

 

I have nothing against Apple monitors.  If you are just looking for a cheaper, same resolution monitor, then you might be getting a product that might have a cheaper power supply. Something I've learned over time as to a major difference when it comes to TVs and monitors.

 

Either way, there is nothing wrong with the Apple monitor and they do use nice electronics inside.  Have you ever cracked open a Thunderbolt monitor?  It's VERY clean, well designed product.

 

Some people have a peace of mind when they buy an Apple product than they do with a 3rd party product that's cheaper.  Sometimes you luck out and sometimes you don't.  Apple has for a long time had decent monitors.  NEC, Viewsonic and other monitor mfg have decent products (I've sold their products back in the 80's and 90's to the corporate/gov sector), but they have products to fit a variety of budgets.  Some of their products are very nice, but they are usually the more expensive models is what I remember.  Their lower priced monitors are consistent with the lower priced monitors.  THere are only so many panel/CRT mfg, and the differences come down to which panels they are using, what the level of adhering to the specs and then it comes down to quality of the power supply and then if it's made out of plastic or metal (in Apple's case, Aluminum).  Some people get turned off by plastic case monitors. It may not affect picture quality, but it's a sign of what you are paying for.  In terms of power supply, I would be more concerned about that since that's typically what goes bad in a monitor.  Power supplies can fail quite easily, especially if you have a brown out or a black out and a surge is sent up and destroys the power supply or other electronics.  That's happened to me before.  But Apple does make decent power supplies.  The cheaper monitors?  I'm not so convinced of that.  I've seen some monitors/TVs with crappy power supplies and have heard of things like capacitors blowing, etc.  In all of my travels, Apple power supplies are VERY reliable.  Only once in a while, there might be a problem, but it's rare.

post #178 of 275

Interesting - when the numbers favor Apple, it's evidence of their superiority. When not, the source is unreliable or the stats are insignificant. Objectivity be damned.

post #179 of 275
Interesting - when the numbers favor Apple, it's evidence of their marketing and iSheep will buy anything shiny. When not, it's evidence they are overpriced and doomed. Objectivity be damned.
Edited by akqies - 10/10/13 at 2:29pm
post #180 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

Relic, you brought up a specific NEC monitor that SUGGESTED US LIST PRICE IS $1299 or the $1549 version with a calibration unit, the Thunderbolt Monitor, which is near it's end of life is $999. Obviously, Apple sells monitors because they sell computers and they have customers that buy their products and want the same mfg for the monitor as the computer, and they cover the monitor with AppleCare when you buy it with your computer system.  When you buy 3rd party products, it's one more company you might have to deal with when it comes to servicing, etc. I'm sure the NEC monitor is nice.  But the NEC is more expensive, in terms of SUGGESTED RETAIL LIST PRICE.   It isn't less expensive, it's MORE expensive, especially when you factor in tax on top of the more expensive price tag.

 

Apple does make a darn nice monitor, they do have nice power supplies inside, they do spend time calibrating in the mfg of them

 

I have nothing against Apple monitors.  If you are just looking for a cheaper, same resolution monitor, then you might be getting a product that might have a cheaper power supply. Something I've learned over time as to a major difference when it comes to TVs and monitors.

 

Either way, there is nothing wrong with the Apple monitor and they do use nice electronics inside.  Have you ever cracked open a Thunderbolt monitor?  It's VERY clean, well designed product.

 

Some people have a peace of mind when they buy an Apple product than they do with a 3rd party product that's cheaper.  Sometimes you luck out and sometimes you don't.  Apple has for a long time had decent monitors.  NEC, Viewsonic and other monitor mfg have decent products (I've sold their products back in the 80's and 90's to the corporate/gov sector), but they have products to fit a variety of budgets.  Some of their products are very nice, but they are usually the more expensive models is what I remember.  Their lower priced monitors are consistent with the lower priced monitors.  THere are only so many panel/CRT mfg, and the differences come down to which panels they are using, what the level of adhering to the specs and then it comes down to quality of the power supply and then if it's made out of plastic or metal (in Apple's case, Aluminum).  Some people get turned off by plastic case monitors. It may not affect picture quality, but it's a sign of what you are paying for.  In terms of power supply, I would be more concerned about that since that's typically what goes bad in a monitor.  Power supplies can fail quite easily, especially if you have a brown out or a black out and a surge is sent up and destroys the power supply or other electronics.  That's happened to me before.  But Apple does make decent power supplies.  The cheaper monitors?  I'm not so convinced of that.  I've seen some monitors/TVs with crappy power supplies and have heard of things like capacitors blowing, etc.  In all of my travels, Apple power supplies are VERY reliable.  Only once in a while, there might be a problem, but it's rare.

 

Great post, everything you pointed out is well thought out and very true. However, after doing a lot of research and reading what I would say to be hundreds of monitor reviews there are just so many great ones available now that surpass the Apples Displays in terms of value and even performance. The NEC model I mentioned has the Color Correction feature which tacks on a heft premium of about 300 dollars. Without it though you can get the NEC with the same exact panel for 750 dollars. It's an incredible monitor, colors are just amazing on it. I think once Apple releases their 4K monitor series though we will start to see the value come back into their monitor lines, I have a sneaking feeling they will be amongst the lowest in terms if price. Their current models though, just don't do it for me, in January 2012, absolutely, October 2013, no. Especially with the likes of NEC, Eizo and iiyama producing better, newer panels for their monitors. I mean even Dell, yes I know, with their 29" Ultrawide U2913WM just amazes me at a price of 600.00.

 

 

...and if I was to spend 1,000 on a monitor I would up the anti by 200 and just get me the Samsung MD230X3, Samsung is selling them now for 1200 refurbished.

 

 

 

Anyway, thank you for spending time with your awesome post.


Edited by Relic - 10/10/13 at 3:40pm
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #181 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post


You attack people constantly with your passive-agressive comments and complaining. All you do is troll this forum.

I don't think I called you an idiot but now that you mention it you have deduced that I'm not familiar with the people that post here only because I only started posting here recently. Your logic is that my ability to read and my ability to write on this forum are somehow tied together. Are you really not aware that you can read this site without first being an active member?

Again, it's more than just the TB hub. It's more than just the video passthrough. It's more than just the GigE, USB hub, and other ports that are offered via TB. It's more than just the quality casing and components. It's more than just the good factory calibration. It's more than the quality panel.

You've also still failed to see how the same panel right down to the model number and date it was manufactured can be different, and therefore not be good enough for Apple or other vendors wanting a professional panel but be fine for vendors that don't mine selling components to a less quality conscious crowd.

 

Don't you notice that most of my complaining as you put it happen mostly in the threads about none Apple products. I happened to really like some of the new Windows 8 tablets, I like a lot of Android phones and tablets, I've enjoyed using pretty much every OS I have ever used except maybe for a few exceptions like Windows ME and a few obscure ones like Jolly Cloud. My so called passive aggressive behavior might come off like that because I'm always tip towing around the fact that I like these other products. A lot of people here don't want to hear anyones opinion unless it's absolute, all in for Apple. Confession time, I like OSX, no I really like OSX because I'm a die hard Unix girl. Which means I have a Macbook Air, Mini and a iMac. Now here comes the part that you will hate about me, I'm not so into iOS or Apples peripherals (way to expensive for what you get). I do however have an iPad 3 which I use for music recording and other music related apps and it works great for that one purpose but that's really it. Well that's not entirely true right now, in the last few months I have been using the iPad more because of Siri, I'm currently suffering from breast cancer and it's really difficult for me to concentrate sometimes after chemotherapy and all the drugs I am on, typing isn't really pleasant and frankly makes me ill to stare at something very long. So I have come to appreciate my iPad more.

 

Coming back to iOS, it's just to restrictive for me, I need, want, a file manager, full multitasking on every program, USB, SD Card slot (I like them) and I personally think the interface though pleasant enough is getting a little long in the tooth and very boring. iPhone, never had one, don't ever want one. That's just me though and who cares what I think. Apple computers and laptops though, love them, until that dread day that they merge OSX and iOS into one.

 

If you think I am attacking someone call me on it. I however will never, ever come right out and call someone a fool like you have been doing to me though. A while back DrBlank and I got into it because he thought the same way you did about me, I think that is what you are referring to when you said I did the same thing you did a while back. Now though we get along just fine, not sure if he still dislikes me and just tolerates me but I defiantly count him among my cyber acquaintances here and I really appreciate his feed back. Tallest, couldn't stand that guy at first, now I think he's great and I love his humor. What I'm saying is if you interact with me in a friendly way, get to know me and ask me questions that don't end in with your incompetent I think we can get along just fine. Plus I am a huge resource when it comes to programming, SQL, Unix and hardware problems.

 

So I apologize sincerely if I made you upset. My english also isn't really the best and sometimes my point doesn't come over so clearly. You know what, I am truly different person then what I was a few months ago. My time on this planet might be limited and I really don't want to come here and dread seeing your name in a thread. So let's call it quits.

 

Sincerely,

Relic

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #182 of 275

This cannot be true.  Unless Apple wanted this way by holding back refreshes.

post #183 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post
 

This is where you lose your credibility.

 

Sorry, was just trying to illustrate a point. You and I know that an EQUIVALENT computer of another brand will cost almost as much as a Mac (less ~15-20% for difference in profit margin). That's not what a "typical" user will look at though. They see a shelf full of HP and Toshiba laptops for $500 while Macs start at a grand. The Mac might be a better computer, just a like a Mercedes might be better than a Toyota, but the "typical" crowd don't care. To them the Toyota is "good enough."

post #184 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Sorry, was just trying to illustrate a point. You and I know that an EQUIVALENT computer of another brand will cost almost as much as a Mac (less ~15-20% for difference in profit margin). That's not what a "typical" user will look at though. They see a shelf full of HP and Toshiba laptops for $500 while Macs start at a grand. The Mac might be a better computer, just a like a Mercedes might be better than a Toyota, but the "typical" crowd don't care. To them the Toyota is "good enough."

Profit margin isn't even a factor with an equivalent comparison. Since Apple is comparatively efficient as a company, sells a great deal of their "expensive" machines compared to the very few sold by other vendors, and because Apple doesn't have to use $1000 PCs to offset the lack of profit on the $500 PCs they can get a healthy profit at a highly competitive price.
post #185 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post
 

 

Sorry, was just trying to illustrate a point. You and I know that an EQUIVALENT computer of another brand will cost almost as much as a Mac (less ~15-20% for difference in profit margin). That's not what a "typical" user will look at though. They see a shelf full of HP and Toshiba laptops for $500 while Macs start at a grand. The Mac might be a better computer, just a like a Mercedes might be better than a Toyota, but the "typical" crowd don't care. To them the Toyota is "good enough."

Yea but some Toyotas look like this;

 

 

Ooooh, so pretty.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #186 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post
 

Problems with Mac Line:

 

-Retina models still are expensive and have little memory (128gb? of course it is ssd but is this an iPad?), no updates in a long time are a joke. Haswell brings tremendous benefits once Apple shows how to use those CPUs. the retina 13" needs iris to be a viable option.

-cMBP are and look outdated and make the whole mac line look bad. Very expensive for what they offer.

-Air is the best laptop around, but has a shitty screen.

-a 17" retina would only do some good.

 

Maybe just one air model is more than enough (12")? The costs would come down, wouldn't canibalize retina 13", etc.

 

iMacs saw haswell too late. It's a crime to use 5400rpm drives. People see the possibility of a 4k screen around the corner.

The mini is a joke as it is. Terribly outdated and expensive despite great form factor.

 

Pros are waiting for the Pro.

 

OSX and especially iWork and iLife need more focus.

 

Apple is putting all it's effort on iphone and ipad with iOS.  That's the future.   I don't see the reason to innovate on desktop or laptop.  It's a shrinking market anyway.  I know, they won't disappear but why go after them when it's the post-pc era.  

post #187 of 275
Apple doesn't make cheap crap nor competes for that market. I wonder what Apple's share would be if they only include $500+ computers.
post #188 of 275
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
Apple doesn't make cheap crap nor competes for that market. I wonder what Apple's share would be if they only include $500+ computers.

 

I seem to remember Apple having 90% of the $1,000+ computer market.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #189 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

Show me a Retina MBA and I'll upgrade

 

I get your point and zero in on this only as an aside:

 

I don't get why people are so hung up on "Retina" everything. Sure, it's pretty, but it's not so much better as to be a deal-breaker in a side-by-side comparison, requires WAY more horsepower to operate, and with apps that aren't yet "optimized" it actually looks WORSE than a conventional display.

 

I get it, it's nice, but I think the desire for it far exceeds the actual benefit.

 

Makes me wish I had a feature like that in MY back pocket! :)

post #190 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

I don't get why people are so hung up on "Retina" everything. Sure, it's pretty, but it's not so much better as to be a deal-breaker in a side-by-side comparison, requires WAY more horsepower to operate, and with apps that aren't yet "optimized" it actually looks WORSE than a conventional display.

I get it, it's nice, but I think the desire for it far exceeds the actual benefit.

It has some benefit when you can scale to higher working resolutions for more workspace but quality-wise, I don't think it's as important as the panel type. The $499 10" iPad has a better quality display than the $999 11" Macbook Air and the iPad display is higher resolution. The Air still managed to win an award though:

http://awards.t3.com/categories/computer-of-the-year/macbook-air-11-inch

So did the iPad mini with the lower resolution. It's an inevitable progression of display tech though and it's only really 50% more pixels in each direction than the highest non-Retina resolutions available now.

I'd like to see the prices on the rMBPs come down so that the old quality displays can get removed from the MBP lineup. They'll have PCIe storage too. Laptops make up 75% of Apple's machines so they are impacted most by what happens with these.

The rMBP was updated last October so it's due about now. A 28W 13" dual-core with Iris at $1299 would be a good deal. If they can fit a 45W quad (possibly lower TDP if needed) in at $1599, even better and a 16GB RAM option or even just ship the $1599 one with 16GB. Then the 15" entry rMBP at $1799-1899 (it would be ok to move to $1899 as it has 8GB RAM vs 4GB), either with Iris Pro or a 750M.
post #191 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

[...] These aren't gas prices where it's based on futures

 

True, but neither are the prices immune to standard rules of supply and demand, as evidenced by what happened to hard drive prices after the tsunami and the overnight through-the-roof jump in RAM prices this month.

post #192 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post
 

What's sales? This is just guesstimate from third party that usually have any clue about but tech presses love to quote them. As for numbers you posted you can see for yourself that there was increase and decrease. meh.

Did you notice that the size of the increase dropped every quarter (decreased), and then shifted to an actual decrease in sales?  That's a downward trend for 6 quarters in a row.

 

 

post #193 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatrix View Post

Greatrix,
Just bought a new 27" iPad. Trouble is, my old 24" iPad is getting a bit cramped. It is bristling with external paraphernalia. Am giving it to the wife. Now have the task of transferring my Adobe programs etc. to the new machine.

I'm sure you mean iMacs and not iPads!
post #194 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

My guess is the 22nd is going to be a 2 hour long release fest.

 

I'd like that to be true, but I don't think it will be. Cook talked about new products coming at the end of 2013 and in 2014. I think we're looking at next spring before everything gets a refresh.

post #195 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
 

Not a single person I know buys bluray discs.

 

I call bullshit on that. You do so know people who buy discs. You even buy the odd one yourself from time to time. Everyone does.

 

I still buy lots of discs and so do my peers. Reasons? Prices for new releases on the iTunes store are 25% higher than Amazon. I can rip the disc and have an unencumbered file I can play anywhere, whereas if I buy from the iTunes store I wind up with DRM headaches. Finally, the image quality of a Blu-Ray still kicks the living crap out of an iTunes download. Look at any scene with a gradient background.

 

I buy iTunes downloads too sometimes, but it's in addition to discs, not instead of. It's way too soon to be declaring the death of the shiny physical disc.

post #196 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

And OS X’s marketshare against Windows is growing, by the way.

 

According the article to which we're responding, no, it's not. The whole point of the discussion is the assertion that Windows sales are up while Mac sales are down. The gap is widening, not shrinking. Since OS X is SOOO much better than Windows, one is inevitably led to wonder about Apple's sometimes arguably "questionable" hardware offerings as the culprit.

post #197 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysisftw View Post
 

So, the external drives are for the ones like you who continue to prefer optical disks in the world of internet. Also, the whole removable content carriers (like thumb drives) will be soon out of date when the internet is powerful and accessible enough. That's what I feel.

 

You're in your twenties, aren't you?

 

People have been trotting out this trite argument for over a decade now... the internet will soon be faster than light and infinite bandwidth will cost 6 cents a year and WiFi will radiate from manhole covers so there will be no need for internal or external storage. Despite there being no sign of any of that being any closer to reality now than it was 10 years ago, someone will share that enlightened vision of the future every time anyone bitches about short, impractical or overpriced media management offerings.

 

WHEN the internet actually IS "powerful and accessible" enough to eliminate the need for local storage, give me a call. In the meantime, I will continue to be annoyed about Apple charging me $200 for the insides of a 32 GB thumb drive and media conglomerates deliberately making it as inconvenient as possible for me to actually use the product I pay them for.

post #198 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

Blu-ray won’t see the end of the decade. That’s not conditional, by the way; I’m including the new 200GB discs in that, as well.

 

I'll bet you a shiny new Early 2020 AppleThing OohAh* you're wrong. You're right, physical discs will go, and Cloud delivery will become the norm, but just like Apple you're ignoring human inertia. Look how long it took to kill off CDs, and that was with songs at a buck a piece. With "virtual" movies going for $25 a pop and, Apple TV notwithstanding, still being primarily computer-centric, it's going to take a while for the average consumer to wrap her/his head around the value proposition of something with no tangible presence.

 

* I have no idea what form the personal computing device will have taken by 2020, so let's just agree that the payout is whatever is generally considered kewl when the time comes. Which might be tough... if that time was today, would the choice be an Air, rMBP or iPad?

post #199 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

It's amazing how low your technical comprehension is. The same model number on a component does not mean that the components are identical. Even if they were identical in their functional capacities there are still an innumerable number of factors to consider, including the calibration of the display. Why don't you actually read a fuçking review instead of posting stupid links.

 

Have you read up on the Monoprice monitor(s)? I suspect not, or you wouldn't have written what you did. That might put you in a position of being more guilty than the one you accuse...

 

It's a well-built, nicely adjusted piece of kit. It allows the buyer the choice of going short coin with limited options or paying more for luxury and convenience. The reviews are overwhelmingly positive, both from tech geek press types and actual users.

 

Like everything with the bitten fruit logo on it, the Apple monitor comes in a bit pricey, but people will want it anyway because it HAS the bitten fruit logo on it and it looks nice next to the credenza.

post #200 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macboy Pro View Post
 

I been saying this since the retina MBP came out.   The pricing of the system is WAY too high.  Combine that with the fact that the system is completely unserviceable for a user (i.e., upgrade memory or ssd) and the fact that the warranty is only 1YR without Applecare (3YR with Applecare) and you have an unaffordable product for many consumers.   There is not a large customer base for $3K laptops that are out of warranty in 1-3 years and the product is unrepairable except through Apple pricing (outrageous).

 

 

1->They are repairable

2->It's 3k???

omgwat 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Mac shipments continue to shrink as Apple loses ground in US PC market