or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Mac shipments continue to shrink as Apple loses ground in US PC market
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mac shipments continue to shrink as Apple loses ground in US PC market - Page 3

post #81 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post
 

If being the most powerful company in the world is being held back...then what the hell does that make every other company?

Read posts a little more carefully.  The world "held" was past tense.   Apple was held back in the 90's because they offered proprietary crap that most of the consumers are not interested in.    They are heading back in that direction.   iPods and iPad are one thing.   $3K laptops with proprietary crap in them is a completely different story.

post #82 of 275
Baloney? These WS extortionists make this up all the time. Somehow these next two weeks are important for the shysters. A lot of options on the line. They need something to justify the manipulation.

When apple reports Gartner and idcwill simply scratch their heads and say they got it wrong. Laughing all the way to the bank. They claim they earned their keep, in a way they will have.
post #83 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Windows 8 is garbage, Apple has nothing to worry about

LOL.  While I am a MAC OS fan, the statement that "Windows 8 is garbage, Apple has nothing to worry about" is obviously incorrect.   Here are the current OS breakdowns.  Apple is FAR behind all versions of windows, including Windows 8

 

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

 

post #84 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDO2000 View Post

Let's be honest if you buy a MBP there is no need to buy for at least 3 years minimum. My MBP 17" mid 2010 i7 with 8g ram runs perfectly fine with photoshop cc, illustrator cc, chrome, and spotify open at all times. Computers are at a point that unless you're running high end 3d programs, video work, or games there is no reason to upgrade unless you just want to.
My 2011 MBA has a hard time running a Thunderbolt Display without cranking up the fan. I've found that I have to avoid flash and MS outlook if I have other apps running. Also my battery life has degraded some. Nevertheless, I'm holding out until next year. I'm banking on a performance boost with Mavricks to tide me over.
post #85 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdninja View Post

The new iMac's are nice. But, no DVD drive built in or even hope of Blu-ray. Thunderbolt ports with nothing to plug into it other than a couple of high priced HDDs i cant even find at my local Best Buy. No touch screen like many Windows 8 PCs now enjoy. Having to reach behind the iMac to plug in an SD card or USB memory stick is downright awkward and backwards, bordering on the impossible at times. I have a 2011 iMac which I love, but may be my last iMac. Dell's latest 27 inch All in one, is pretty compelling. Hdmi in, Blu-Ray, touchscreen, are all there. Other PC makers offer you these extras too. No matter what Apple's ideals are, people still want these options in their PCs. Granted a lot of Apples sales are now iPads, but, there will always be a market for people who need and want the versatility and the power of a full blown PC. We still watch DVDs and Blu-rays. Many of us have capped internet plans, so steaming everything or downloading media is not an option. We still would like to use our huge 27 inch monitors for our Xbox's or PS3's(once an option on iMac's). Even on the MacPro side, expandability, has become limited to a mass of wires. Apple has lost its way for me. Apple keeps taking away options. iTunes is definitely one motivation for them. Make it dramatically easier to download something rather than just pop in a disc. I guess I'm part of the marketshare Apple is no longer interested in keeping. This is shortsighted. Android tablets are getting better and better with each passing year. iOS 7 just looks horrid on an iPad. So marketshare will shrink there too in time. I love OSX. I love iOS 6. The hardware is not enough to keep me buying anymore. Maybe Its just time to move back to Windows. SIGH....

SIGH LOUDER! We can't hear you.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #86 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post
 

Maybe if they'd released the darn MBP refresh instead of artificially holding it back for the sake of Mavericks, their numbers wouldn't be down.

 

I know, right? Rocket science.

 

Nope, I don't think it's Mavericks. As one reply has already predicted, it'll be Thunderbolt 2 that's the hold up. Nothing artificial about it.

 

Apple won't release a new MacBook Pro that can't drive their own 4K thunderbolt display, which is surely in the pipeline. Think about how hard it would be for Apple to market such a display if it can't be used by their flagship laptops. 

 

 

Mavericks has hinted that such a display is on the way: 

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/06/os-x-mavericks-wallpaper-hints-at-retina-thunderbolt-display-and-imac/ 

 

I think this October event will be huge. I think (hope!) we'll see a new Mac Pro, The Apple Retina Display (my guess for the name), and Haswell / TB2 rMPBs that can also drive the display.

 

This will also tidy up Apple's product tiers, as the iMac has felt more "pro" than the Mac Pro for far too long. This will be the year that the professional machines truly do stand apart from the consumer machines. Then hopefully next year we'll see some of this tech filter down into the MacBook Air (already predicted by those DisplaySearch rumors) and a Retina iMac in October 2014.

post #87 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macboy Pro View Post

LOL.  While I am a MAC OS fan, the statement that "Windows 8 is garbage, Apple has nothing to worry about" is obviously incorrect.   Here are the current OS breakdowns.  Apple is FAR behind all versions of windows, including Windows 8

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0
Vista was garbage, but windows 7 is good. I assume 8 is on par with 7. However, I think MS's problem is windows upgrades are irrelevant. Nobody gives a shit. I only use windoz because my IT guy built our firm's data structures around it. Apple OSX is superior for about 90% of the tasks performed on a laptop for probably 90% of the population. If it weren't for Word and the installed base, windows would have single digit market share.
post #88 of 275
Originally Posted by Macboy Pro View Post
The pricing of the system is WAY too high.

 

Nope. Also, they kept the old model around for a reason.

 
…and you have an unaffordable product for many consumers.

 

As most Apple products don’t break, nope.

 
…Apple pricing (outrageous).

 

Explains why they keep selling ever more, huh.

 
PROPRIETARY = FAIL

 

Patently false, as everything from Apple’s history shows. What is wrong with you?

 

If Apple discontinues the cMBP, they are pretty much giving up on the PC market.

 

Or they’ve managed to make the rMBP the same price, which will be the real reason for discontinuation.

 

Originally Posted by Macboy Pro View Post
the statement that Windows 8 is garbage, Apple has nothing to worry about is obviously incorrect.   Here are the current OS breakdowns.

 

Nice false assumption. Widespread ≠ good. Sorry.

 

Originally Posted by traversal View Post

Apple won't release a new MacBook Pro that can't drive their own 4K thunderbolt display, which is surely in the pipeline. Think about how hard it would be for Apple to market such a display if it can't be used by their flagship laptops. 

 

Well, that’s what the Thunderbolt Display has been to the Mac Pro for two years.

post #89 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

Nice false assumption. Widespread ≠ good. Sorry.

 

Where did MacBoy Pro state or imply that Widespread = good? What false assumption did he make?  He simply stated that Apple is far behind on market share compared to Windows.  That was not a statement as to the quality of the Windows product, nor was he making a correlation between market share and the quality of a product.

post #90 of 275
I'm just waiting for Apple to announce that the new 12-core Mac Pro is shipping so that I can use my credit card to place an order.
post #91 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

This needs to show a relation to tablet sales. Many are replacing PC's with iPads. How does this all shape up with iPads factored in...I would be curious.

Apple probably has more like 20 to 25% worldwide market share is my guess if they factored in tablets as a computer.  What is not really mentioned is that Apple has only announced new MacBookAirs that sold during the entire quarter.  The new iMacs, just started shipping, so I don't know if they really got a lot of new iMacs in those numbers and obviously, Apple has yet to release new MacMinis, MacPro, MacBookPro, and MacBookPro Retina.  I think this Q4 is going to be a LOT bigger due to a lot of new products released. My guess is the 22nd is going to be a 2 hour long release fest.  It's only going to take them maybe 1/2 hour to discuss iPads,  10 minutes to discuss iPods, 15 to 20 minutes to discuss the MacPro, and then an hour to discuss the Mac Mini and MacBookPros. Tim Cook mentioned there was an army of products coming out and so far, they've only released the preliminary recon.

post #92 of 275
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post
nor was he making a correlation between market share and the quality of a product.

 

So saying, “You are wrong in thinking this product is bad; look at the sales numbers for it,” is NOT making the aforementioned correlation?

 

Okay. :no: 

post #93 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

Where did MacBoy Pro state or imply that Widespread = good? What false assumption did he make?  He simply stated that Apple is far behind on market share compared to Windows.  That was not a statement as to the quality of the Windows product, nor was he making a correlation between market share and the quality of a product.

Is OS marketshare relevant to a thread about PC OEMs? Now that MS makes PCs that run Windows let compare their number of Apple's. How many Macs does Apple sell for every Intel-based Surface MS sells? Looks like Apple is trouncing MS in the PC unit sales. And in PC profits Apple is killing everyone.
post #94 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdninja View Post

The new iMac's are nice. But, no DVD drive built in or even hope of Blu-ray. Thunderbolt ports with nothing to plug into it other than a couple of high priced HDDs i cant even find at my local Best Buy. No touch screen like many Windows 8 PCs now enjoy. Having to reach behind the iMac to plug in an SD card or USB memory stick is downright awkward and backwards, bordering on the impossible at times. I have a 2011 iMac which I love, but may be my last iMac. Dell's latest 27 inch All in one, is pretty compelling. Hdmi in, Blu-Ray, touchscreen, are all there. Other PC makers offer you these extras too. No matter what Apple's ideals are, people still want these options in their PCs. Granted a lot of Apples sales are now iPads, but, there will always be a market for people who need and want the versatility and the power of a full blown PC. We still watch DVDs and Blu-rays. Many of us have capped internet plans, so steaming everything or downloading media is not an option. We still would like to use our huge 27 inch monitors for our Xbox's or PS3's(once an option on iMac's). Even on the MacPro side, expandability, has become limited to a mass of wires. Apple has lost its way for me. Apple keeps taking away options. iTunes is definitely one motivation for them. Make it dramatically easier to download something rather than just pop in a disc. I guess I'm part of the marketshare Apple is no longer interested in keeping. This is shortsighted. Android tablets are getting better and better with each passing year. iOS 7 just looks horrid on an iPad. So marketshare will shrink there too in time. I love OSX. I love iOS 6. The hardware is not enough to keep me buying anymore. Maybe Its just time to move back to Windows. SIGH....

 

What a mind-numbingly idiotic rant. Every line just got stupider and stupider, so I won't even bother. You're bitching about Bluray on an iMac? In 2013? Not a single person I know buys bluray discs. Not even for a bluray player attached to an HDTV, nevermind an iMac. But yeah, keep wishing for Apple to add archaic, obsolete technology with no future into their computers, and please, switch to a Windows PC and spare us your drivel.

post #95 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macboy Pro View Post
 

LOL.  While I am a MAC OS fan, the statement that "Windows 8 is garbage, Apple has nothing to worry about" is obviously incorrect.   Here are the current OS breakdowns.  Apple is FAR behind all versions of windows, including Windows 8

 

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

 

 

That link is supposed to prove what, exactly? DO you think marketshare has something to do with, oh I don't know, the fact that Apple doesn't even sell a laptop for under $1K, and that every fucking OEM under the sun sells Windows PCs for like $200 and up? Yes, windows is garbage. No amount of marketshare can negate that. People aren't going out of their way to buy Windows machines. They just buy a cheap laptop (HP, Acer, etc) and it just happens to run windows. When someone buys a Mac, they've gone out of their way to specifically buy a Mac. 

post #96 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post
 

Where did MacBoy Pro state or imply that Widespread = good? What false assumption did he make?  He simply stated that Apple is far behind on market share compared to Windows.  That was not a statement as to the quality of the Windows product, nor was he making a correlation between market share and the quality of a product.

 

Yes, that's actually exactly what he was doing. He countered the "windows is garbage" argument by specifically linking to marketshare. Try working on your reading comprehension. 

post #97 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScartArt View Post

How is your decision to replace a machine related to how often Apple should refresh their product?

It doesn't. Two trains of thought arrived at the station simultaneously. But Apple should release two a year because there will be two "down" periods for waiting for the next release in the same year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macboy Pro View Post

Read posts a little more carefully.  The world "held" was past tense.   Apple was held back in the 90's because they offered proprietary crap that most of the consumers are not interested in.    They are heading back in that direction.   iPods and iPad are one thing.   $3K laptops with proprietary crap in them is a completely different story.

They didn't falter due to proprietary tech, Apple faltered due to licensing and crappy design (hardware and software).
post #98 of 275
I've discussed the new iMac in numerous Mac forums, and many think the new iMac
is dysfunctional. People are astonished to find that this "all in one" has no
optical drive, and feel that it was removed prematurely, for the sake of pushing
consumers towards purchasing more content from apple. The argument that the
optical drive is antiquated is ludicrous. There are still $billions in sales of
videos, audio, and software. I often use the the super drive in my 2011 iMac to
rip CD's, burn movies, burn playlists, give photos and videos to friends, etc.
Of course you can buy an external drive, and hang one more ugly piece of
equipment from you iMac, but you shouldn't have to.

And the SD card reader is located on the back? Really? Now that's convenient.
And no USB ports in a convenient location either? That's ridiculous. I have
two USB extension cables running from the back of my iMac, just so I can have
quick access to a USB port. Most people I've conversed with don't give a crap
about how thin the new iMac is -- It still looks the same from the front.

Give me 1" iMac with an optical drive and some conveniently placed ports, and
then I'll consider purchasing one. I plan on keeping my 2011 for as long as
possible.
post #99 of 275

iPads eat into portable sales, and no competitive desktops... iMacs are beautiful, but very consumer, not at all business friendly. Mac Pro... oh the Mac Pro. I just don't see them appealing to large market (I will buy one). Funny observation, if you use a hackintosh you can really observe just how powerful, elegant and joy to use OSX is on the same hardware as Windows, it is amazing, if only Apple would make some decent hardware for it to run on. 

post #100 of 275
Originally Posted by zBernie in 1998
Ive discussed the iMac in numerous Mac forums, and many think the iMac is dysfunctional. People are astonished to find that this “all in one” has no floppy drive, and feel that it was removed prematurely, for the sake of pushing consumers towards purchasing CD content. The argument that the floppy drive is antiquated is ludicrous. There are still $millions in sales of videos, audio, and software. I often use the the floppy drive in my 1996 PowerMac to [whatever you can do with 1.4MB]. Of course you can buy an external drive, and hang one more ugly piece of equipment from you iMac, but you shouldn’t have to.

 

*cough*

post #101 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

*cough*

 

The iMac is just colored plastic and no internal expansion.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #102 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by zBernie View Post

Of course you can buy an external drive, and hang one more ugly piece of equipment from you iMac, but you shouldn't have to.

Of course you can buy a previous generation iMac instead of hanging around internet forums to post one more ugly piece of nonsense from you made up Mac, but you shouldn't. You really shouldn't!


PS: You burn playlists? Seriously? WTF is wrong with you? You sound like those douche bags that complained when the consortium that torrent TVs finally switched from the antiquated AVI/XviD to MP4/H.264. Their biggest complaint: I can no longer burn the AVI to play in my CD player. Get a fuçking Roku!
post #103 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
 

 

Yes, that's actually exactly what he was doing. He countered the "windows is garbage" argument by specifically linking to marketshare. Try working on your reading comprehension. 

Work on your own reading comprehension.  He countered the "Windows is garbage, Apple has nothing to worry about" argument with numbers about market share.  If Apple has nothing to worry about with OS X, then why is their market share not improving?  Windows can still be garbage, but its marketshare keeps people on Windows.

 

Apple has done an excellent job of getting the consumer market so stirred up with iOS devices that businesses, and the industry in general, have followed suit.  Apps come out first for iOS devices before most other mobile platforms.  Mindshare that drives marketshare that drives mindshare, etc.   The same cannot be said for OS X devices.  Businesses continue to ignore them, federal government IT can't stand them (please - just give them an integrated freakin' smartcard reader already, will ya?), and the software market continues to develop most apps for Windows machines, first.  That's not a testament to how great Windows is.  That's a testament to the marketshare of Windows.

post #104 of 275
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post
Windows can still be garbage, but its marketshare keeps people on Windows.

 

See, “it is because it is” is the most tenuous argument possible and the worst position in which a company can be.

 

And OS X’s marketshare against Windows is growing, by the way.

post #105 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
 

 

That link is supposed to prove what, exactly? DO you think marketshare has something to do with, oh I don't know, the fact that Apple doesn't even sell a laptop for under $1K, and that every fucking OEM under the sun sells Windows PCs for like $200 and up? Yes, windows is garbage. No amount of marketshare can negate that. People aren't going out of their way to buy Windows machines. They just buy a cheap laptop (HP, Acer, etc) and it just happens to run windows. When someone buys a Mac, they've gone out of their way to specifically buy a Mac. 

Don't forget the business side of the equation: What business wants to support an OS X device when the device can't access the systems that the business uses?  Cisco support for VoIP clients on OS X?  No feature parity with Windows.  Cisco/Juniper VPN support (especially client inspection)?  Sucks.  802.1X/NAC for OS X?  Always an also ran to Windows (try doing machine and user auth with certificates in OS X).  The ability to remotely manage the system, control software deployments, apply policies, etc.?  Always an also ran to Windows, especially with 3rd party support.  Has DISA even issued a STIG for Lion, much less Mountain Lion?  No.  

 

Windows has the marketshare, which means the vendors provide better/faster support for Windows, which sells more Windows machines, which keeps their marketshare up, etc.

post #106 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

See, “it is because it is” is the most tenuous argument possible and the worst position in which a company can be.

 

And OS X’s marketshare against Windows is growing, by the way.

Apple OS X device sales are dropping, but marketshare is growing against Windows.  Wow - that's fucking awesome.  Our sales aren't shit, but dammit we're doing better than Windows!  See - we got an extra 1% marketshare in 2013!  Woo-hoo!

 

If OS X marketshare is growing against Windows, it's because Windows sales are dropping faster than OS X sales due to iOS device proliferation.  Hopefully, the October news will be better for Mac sales, but the last three quarters don't paint a rosy picture compared to the previous 4 quarters (which all showed consistent declines in growth, unfortunately).  http://investor.apple.com/results.cfm

 

Q3 2013: The Company sold 3.8 million Macs, compared to 4 million in the year-ago quarter. 

Q2 2013: The Company sold just under 4 million Macs, compared to 4 million in the year-ago quarter

Q1 2013: The Company sold 4.1 million Macs, compared to 5.2 million in the year-ago quarter

Q4 2012: The Company sold 4.9 million Macs during the quarter, a 1 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter

Q3 2012: The Company sold 4.0 million Macs during the quarter, a two percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter.

Q2 2012: The Company sold 4 million Macs during the quarter, a 7 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter.

Q1 2012: The Company sold 4.89 million Macs during the quarter, a 26 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter.


Edited by runbuh - 10/9/13 at 9:59pm
post #107 of 275
Let me repeat, the numbers are fictitious pulled from where there is no sunlight (or Redmond).

They figured apple gave them a gift to manipulate the stock another week (by apple announcing a later report date).

Apple will report good numbers. Expect increase not a decrease of 11 percent. Total BS.
post #108 of 275

Sales are shrinking and willl continue to shrink, but who cares?  PCs and Laptops arent the future, so it's ridiculous debating the undeniable fact that sales will continue to drop.

post #109 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by zBernie View Post

I've discussed the new iMac in numerous Mac forums, and many think the new iMac
is dysfunctional. People are astonished to find that this "all in one" has no
optical drive, and feel that it was removed prematurely, for the sake of pushing
consumers towards purchasing more content from apple. The argument that the
optical drive is antiquated is ludicrous. There are still $billions in sales of
videos, audio, and software. I often use the the super drive in my 2011 iMac to
rip CD's, burn movies, burn playlists, give photos and videos to friends, etc.
Of course you can buy an external drive, and hang one more ugly piece of
equipment from you iMac, but you shouldn't have to.

And the SD card reader is located on the back? Really? Now that's convenient.
And no USB ports in a convenient location either? That's ridiculous. I have
two USB extension cables running from the back of my iMac, just so I can have
quick access to a USB port. Most people I've conversed with don't give a crap
about how thin the new iMac is -- It still looks the same from the front.

Give me 1" iMac with an optical drive and some conveniently placed ports, and
then I'll consider purchasing one. I plan on keeping my 2011 for as long as
possible.

Have you heard of the internet or idevice? Apple is missing out on the CD market. How am I suppose to buy music in non digital format from Apple? /s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The iMac is just colored plastic and no internal expansion.

Real post? If not, iMacs are aluminum and the vast majority don't care about the latter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

Work on your own reading comprehension.  He countered the "Windows is garbage, Apple has nothing to worry about" argument with numbers about market share.  If Apple has nothing to worry about with OS X, then why is their market share not improving?  Windows can still be garbage, but its marketshare keeps people on Windows.

Apple has done an excellent job of getting the consumer market so stirred up with iOS devices that businesses, and the industry in general, have followed suit.  Apps come out first for iOS devices before most other mobile platforms.  Mindshare that drives marketshare that drives mindshare, etc.   The same cannot be said for OS X devices.  Businesses continue to ignore them, federal government IT can't stand them (please - just give them an integrated freakin' smartcard reader already, will ya?), and the software market continues to develop most apps for Windows machines, first.  That's not a testament to how great Windows is.  That's a testament to the marketshare of Windows.

No it's not. IT is afraid of change. Job security with Windows.
post #110 of 275
No surprise. Last year, rMBP was literally the only game in town for retina display, and Ultrabooks comparable in build quality to MBA were only beginning to come out. This year, the PC vendors have finally delivered retina display laptops and ultrabooks you'd actually want to buy, while Apple's offerings have changed only incrementally, leaving existing users with little incentive to upgrade.
post #111 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What a mind-numbingly idiotic rant. Every line just got stupider and stupider, so I won't even bother. You're bitching about Bluray on an iMac? In 2013? Not a single person I know buys bluray discs. Not even for a bluray player attached to an HDTV, nevermind an iMac. But yeah, keep wishing for Apple to add archaic, obsolete technology with no future into their computers, and please, switch to a Windows PC and spare us your drivel.

Walk into any Best Buy and there are aisles and aisles of blurays. Everyone I know buys blurays and has a collection of blurays. My PS3 plays bluray beautifully. As for every other PC maker, bluray drives are a matter of fact. Bluray will be around for a long time. By the way, I do play bluray on my iMac via external drive and an third party software. I, as a fan of Apple was just thinking out loud, about how nice it would be to have an internal bluray drive that played on OSX natively. I have said nothing derogatory to anyone in this forum. You are the third person to say something stupid and rude. Not one of your arguments have any facts to support anything you say. Now I'll just go any watch a Bluray and laugh.
post #112 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdninja View Post


Walk into any Best Buy and there are aisles and aisles of blurays. Everyone I know buys blurays and has a collection of blurays. My PS3 plays bluray beautifully. As for every other PC maker, bluray drives are a matter of fact. Bluray will be around for a long time. Get your head out of your -ss. By the way moron, I do play bluray on my iMac via external drive and an third party software. I, as a fan of Apple was just thinking out loud, about how nice it would be to have an internal bluray drive that played on OSX natively. The only thing mind numbing is to have to answer a flat headed moronic Neanderthal like you because you can't say anything without insulting someone. Your words are beyond stupid. I only responded to you because I think you are the troll. I have said nothing derogatory to anyone in this forum. You are the third person to say something stupid and rude. Not one of your arguments have any facts to support anything you say. You just prove your ignorance by opening your mouth. Now I'll just go any watch a Bluray and laugh about what a dope you are.

I have a Blu Ray player and watch them regularly on an HDTV.  Red Box is almost always out of Blu Ray before DVD. That said, why does it matter if the iMac has a Blu Ray drive? I rarely used my DVD drive in my 2000 Dell computer.  I have a 2008 Mac Pro with a DVD drive and I use it like every other year.   It makes perfect sense to take the optical drive out and let the few people need one to attach an external drive. An external is actually better because you can share between computers.  

If you are part of the .000001% of people that use an optical drive regularly and get your panties in a twist over having it attached externally, then buy the current Mac Pro. The horror of having an external drive must be worth the extra $1500 to get a Pro.

I'll take your word for it that you are a smart person, which is why I didn't suggest buying a Windoz machine. =)


Edited by ash471 - 10/9/13 at 11:35pm
post #113 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What a mind-numbingly idiotic rant. Every line just got stupider and stupider, so I won't even bother. You're bitching about Bluray on an iMac? In 2013? Not a single person I know buys bluray discs. Not even for a bluray player attached to an HDTV, nevermind an iMac. But yeah, keep wishing for Apple to add archaic, obsolete technology with no future into their computers, and please, switch to a Windows PC and spare us your drivel. You're nothing but a troll. 

I would love for an iMac with a Blu-ray drive. I was hopeful of that in 2010. But then seeing the trend of the Macs, I knew it was foolish to expect one anymore.

I certainly am not bitching about it in 2013 like wierdninja here. But for me it is a nice-to-have. And since I would be beyond stupid to think it would ever come to a Mac, I have bought an external Sony Blu-ray drive, which works without any issues on my iMac. No complaints there.

Having said that, Blu-ray still is a pretty viable option. Maybe Apple should strike a deal with the movie studios to include a 'movie package' to be offered on iTunes, which would include the movie + the special features offered by discs. Till then, there are a lot of people who love documentaries and making-ofs and commentaries on their favourite movies.

So when I buy a Blu-ray, I buy it for the entire package. And when I already got a hard copy of the movie, I don't want to re-buy it on iTunes, which is why I use by Blu-ray drive to allow me to have a copy running on iTunes as well!
post #114 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post
 

Apple OS X device sales are dropping, but marketshare is growing against Windows.  

What's sales? This is just guesstimate from third party that usually have any clue about but tech presses love to quote them. As for numbers you posted you can see for yourself that there was increase and decrease. meh.

post #115 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdninja View Post


Walk into any Best Buy and there are aisles and aisles of blurays. Everyone I know buys blurays and has a collection of blurays. My PS3 plays bluray beautifully. As for every other PC maker, bluray drives are a matter of fact. Bluray will be around for a long time. Get your head out of your -ss. By the way moron, I do play bluray on my iMac via external drive and an third party software. I, as a fan of Apple was just thinking out loud, about how nice it would be to have an internal bluray drive that played on OSX natively. The only thing mind numbing is to have to answer a flat headed moronic Neanderthal like you because you can't say anything without insulting someone. Your words are beyond stupid. I only responded to you because I think you are the troll. I have said nothing derogatory to anyone in this forum. You are the third person to say something stupid and rude. Not one of your arguments have any facts to support anything you say. You just prove your ignorance by opening your mouth. Now I'll just go any watch a Bluray and laugh about what a dope you are.


Not to sound as progressively aggressive as you are, but I've never seen any person around me who buys Blu-Ray disks (though they do know pretty much exactly what it is and what is does). Apple seems to be the only company that understands the future every single time, and actually set out to do things that define the future as well. The era of optical disks is about to end. Everything is now on the cloud, which is much easier for everyone to obtain.

 

So, the external drives are for the ones like you who continue to prefer optical disks in the world of internet. Also, the whole removable content carriers (like thumb drives) will be soon out of date when the internet is powerful and accessible enough. That's what I feel.

post #116 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScartArt View Post
 

Given Apple would never lower the price I would at least expect the CPU speed to be increased to justify the cost. For a machine which first launched at a relatively competitive price, now 10 months down the road just looks uncompetitive.

 

If Haswell hasn't been available at the price point or quantities that Apple wants up until this point then they should have refreshed the MBP a few months ago with 802.11ac, PCIe SSD and a clock speed increase. Then introduce Haswell when available. That way whenever a customer wishes to purchase a new machine they are getting an up to date machine. At the moment if somebody purchases a MBP they are getting a year out of date machine.

 

Exactly, that happened to those smaller speed bump upgrades that we had years ago?

post #117 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysisftw View Post
 


Not to sound as progressively aggressive as you are, but I've never seen any person around me who buys Blu-Ray disks (though they do know pretty much exactly what it is and what is does). Apple seems to be the only company that understands the future every single time, and actually set out to do things that define the future as well. The era of optical disks is about to end. Everything is now on the cloud, which is much easier for everyone to obtain.

 

So, the external drives are for the ones like you who continue to prefer optical disks in the world of internet. Also, the whole removable content carriers (like thumb drives) will be soon out of date when the internet is powerful and accessible enough. That's what I feel.


This works for HD as long as you have more atleast around 24Mbps connection and not everybody has them. Another thing is that the HD rental market eg just sucks outside the US. The amount of titles is just horrible and now even itunes has dumped the rental on many titles (eg netflix/viaplay what a joke of a service outside the US). Who buys movies today? I dont know why you would want to own something that you watch 1-2 times...

post #118 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Apple probably has more like 20 to 25% worldwide market share is my guess if they factored in tablets as a computer.  

Apple would have roughly 18% worldwide market share if tablets were counted as computers.

71.8 million Windows PCs and 30.5 million Android/other tablets last quarter... for a grand total of 102.3 million.

And Apple with 3.8 million Macs and 14.6 million iPads last quarter... for a grand total of 18.4 million.

Not bad.
post #119 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysisftw View Post
 


Not to sound as progressively aggressive as you are, but I've never seen any person around me who buys Blu-Ray disks (though they do know pretty much exactly what it is and what is does). Apple seems to be the only company that understands the future every single time, and actually set out to do things that define the future as well. The era of optical disks is about to end. Everything is now on the cloud, which is much easier for everyone to obtain.

 

So, the external drives are for the ones like you who continue to prefer optical disks in the world of internet. Also, the whole removable content carriers (like thumb drives) will be soon out of date when the internet is powerful and accessible enough. That's what I feel.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysisftw View Post
 


Not to sound as progressively aggressive as you are, but I've never seen any person around me who buys Blu-Ray disks (though they do know pretty much exactly what it is and what is does). Apple seems to be the only company that understands the future every single time, and actually set out to do things that define the future as well. The era of optical disks is about to end. Everything is now on the cloud, which is much easier for everyone to obtain.

 

So, the external drives are for the ones like you who continue to prefer optical disks in the world of internet. Also, the whole removable content carriers (like thumb drives) will be soon out of date when the internet is powerful and accessible enough. That's what I feel.

 

 

Not being aggressive, just responding to people that can say rude baseless things, call me names behind a wall of anonymity.  I should ignore them,  and I will from now on.  They add nothing to the discussion.  Blu-ray will be around for a long while yet.  Everyone I know has a collection of Blue-rays.  Everyone.  Everyone I know has a capped internet too.  Prohibitively expensive to stream and download everything.  I have Netflix, buy media from iTunes, use Hulu.  But Blu-ray quality can't be matched most of the time.  Extra features on the discs too.  I use an external drive on my iMac.  But the point of an AIO is that i have more desk space, less clutter.  I have to buy an extra drive and software to play the Blu-ray.  Apple has no interest in adding blu-ray or DVD, because they have an ecosystem of iTunes.  This is their buisiness model.  Blu-ray is alive and well.  Just go to any big box store.  Go to any discount store .  They are everywhere.  I don't want to go Windows.  But Apple is making it hard for me to stay.  My point is, Apple should offer options.  but, they won't.  When everyone can get fast cheap unlimited internet, then optical disks may go the way of the dinosaur.  But, thats not happening anytime soon.

post #120 of 275
Don't like it? Don't buy it. Let Apple worry about sales.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Mac shipments continue to shrink as Apple loses ground in US PC market