or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Supply chain visit makes analyst 'confident' about larger iPhone in 2014

Supply chain visit makes analyst 'confident' about larger iPhone in 2014 - Page 3

post #81 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Ever heard of bluetooth? How about speaker phone? Hell, most people I know rarely even use their phones for voice calls anymore. I spend a hell of a lot more time looking at my display than I do holding it up to my ear. 

If you don't use the phone part, get a bloody iPad mini.
post #82 of 100
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Or a clean one, whichever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #83 of 100
Quote:

Add the ability to make phone calls and I would be all over that, well after Apple releases a retina version that is.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #84 of 100
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
Add the ability to make phone calls and I would be all over that, well after Apple releases a retina version that is.

You can, provided you’re only calling other Apple devices.

post #85 of 100
Quote:

Where did I say I didn't use the phone part? I actually talk quite a lot on my iPhone but even now I use a jawbone headset. I simply said I spent more time looking at my display as do most people than talking on my iPhone. 

Do I really need to keep explaining why the iPad Mini is not even close to being an option? There is a world of difference between a 4" iPhone and a iPad Mini. Just because I want a bigger display does not mean I want an iPad Mini or even a Galaxy Note 3 size. You can fit a Galaxy S4 in your front pocket but the same cannot be said about an iPad mini. There is a world of difference and options in between those two extremes. I want something I can fit in my pocket. Besides which the data plans for an iPad are outrageous compared to phone plans. I get unlimited LTE data along with unlimited voice and text for $50 a month. Data plans for tablets don't come close to matching phone plan prices and I do not know of any unlimited data plans for tablets. Without a texting or voice option that would add further costs and layers of complexity to using an iPad Mini as an iPhone replacement. You would have to use a VoiP service or something like Skype for calls and good luck calling your local 911 from Skype in an emergency. 

post #86 of 100
Sony calls that a phone? Lol, while holding it with both hands like it's part I of the two commandments.

Here's iPhone6, or so the internet tells me

How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #87 of 100

My First smart phone was a Motorola Droid.  I had to get it because the Verizon network was the only one that covered all of my

sales territory (still is sadly enough) when I got it and the iPhone was not available on Verizon at that time.  I always thought the 3.5" screen was too small so I upgraded it to a Samgung Galaxy Nexus when it was available.  With an android phone you have to have an unlockable one so you can put any version of Android on it you like.  The OS updates are almost non-existant in most cases for Android phones.  It has a 4.65" screen and I can read all of the text on it with my bifocal contacts in.  I have tried several time with my wife's 5s and just cannot read much of the text even with the font set to the largest size and bold.

I want a 4.5" to 5" iPhone.  I just have a hard time seeing the current 4" screen mainly because it is still as narrow as the 3.5" display.  It does not seem like much but that extra 1/2" or so of width makes a big difference in the fonts.

I have been using the Galaxy Nexus for over a year now.  It EASLY fits in my pockets (Shirt and pants) and I have a rubber case on it.  I am 6'-4" and have large hands so I can easily operate it one handed.  I know people here might disagree, but this phone is not too big for me in any way.

I honestly do not know if there is a big enough market to justify the R&D and manufacturing cost of a larger display iPhone or not, but based on the number of larger Android phone I see I think it would increase Apple's iPhone sales significantly if there was a larger screen option.  

I just do not see why there seems to be such a passionate hatred of larger phones in the Apple community?????

post #88 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or a clean one, whichever.

The bloody one is cheaper. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #89 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

That is my contention and I stand by it. I firmly believe it would draw in a lot of Android buyers who refuse to by an iPhone due to the screen size.

And how many people do you think that is? I think many more have switched from a big phone to a iPhone than vice versa.
post #90 of 100

post #91 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I've seen that audio amplifier before, in a different size. But the front screen, I presume it turns your iPhone into a TV? Looks cool, wonder what it sounds like...
post #92 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Sony calls that a phone? Lol, while holding it with both hands like it's part I of the two commandments.

Here's iPhone6, or so the internet tells me

I think having an edge-to-edge display would work ok. That would allow the iPhone to maintain the same width and push the display size up to 4.3". It may need to be OLED.

Perhaps they can find a way to merge the front-facing camera with the proximity sensor or just have a row of say 5 dots with the middle one being the camera, the next two being the speakers and the furthest ones being other sensors. This would allow them to shrink the top and bottom bezels a bit. I think they should have the camera on the back in the middle too and maybe even share a sensor because you never use the back and front ones at the same time. This way they can capture the same quality, save some space and perhaps reduce parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger 
I just do not see why there seems to be such a passionate hatred of larger phones in the Apple community?????

The really large phones like the Note look silly but people go on about getting more options a lot and it's contrary to what Apple typically does. Things like PCIe slots in the Mac Pro, the 17" laptop, NFC support, the mid-range tower, matte displays etc. Then there's an assumption that without these options, there's a large audience being missed out on but the reality is that these options are important for a minority. Apple sold almost as many iPhones in 3 days as Samsung sold Galaxy S4s in a month. Samsung as usual rushes to get something to catch up:

http://www.ibtimes.com/samsung-galaxy-s5-release-date-coming-device-hit-market-february-after-january-unveiling-1421584

The iPad was an exception and they would have lost marketshare to much cheaper tablets without the mini. With the iPhone, Apple isn't in any hurry to change strategy and certainly isn't under pressure from other form factors when they are selling their current models in record numbers. The biggest determining factor in marketshare, as many studies have shown, is price. That's why the iPad mini helped too. Apple always prices larger models higher in every lineup so it simply won't boost their marketshare significantly. It might not do any harm to it but there's not an incentive to go really big. If they change the scale a little, that works as a redesign, which people expect with a major revision. An 'edge-to-edge' display would be an interesting feature to talk about, even if it'll resemble the HTC One.
post #93 of 100

If Apple decides to offer two different sizes of iPhone there will be a very clear difference between the two. 4" and 4.5" just isn't going to happen because they would be too close together. Apple hates ambiguity and I know from trying to sell their products in a previous decade that customers offered too many similar looking products have a terrible time making a decision.

Today we see highly simplified product lines from Apple.

Nearly every model of Mac comes in just two stock configurations and no more than two different sizes. A few binary choices (i.e. small and light vs. powerful, 11" vs. 13", high end vs. low end) quickly point nearly every potential customer to a computer that meets their criteria. For the minority of customers interested in a custom configuration there's the build to order program and even there Apple has tried to make decision making as painless as possible by offering a lot of binary choices.

The iDevice market is strange because it offers both fewer choices and more choices at the same time.

The iPad offers a binary choice between full size and mini.

iPad has Retina vs. non-Retina while there is currently just one mini.

But there are more choices to be made. Wi-Fi vs. 4G and black vs white are binary, but some models have just one capacity while others have three.

Still it mostly follows the simple Mac model.

The iPhone is the true outlier because it doesn't offer a choice of size, yet comes in 3-6 different colours.

But before Apple decides to make both a 4" iPhone and a ~5" iPhone the people in upper management will have to be presented with a very good argument that two sizes are needed and that the user experience of both will be equally good for their respective target audiences. There will also have to be a business case showing that offering two sizes of iPhone will increase profits. Without all that coming true we can continue to expect just one size of new iPhone each year.

I believe the target market for a larger iPhone is huge and is mostly made up of people with small to medium sized hands. Almost every Galaxy Note I've ever seen has been in the hands of a woman of Asian heritage. It appears that the ease of typing on the big keyboard and the extra large display for photos and videos are the key factors. In countries with character based written languages the stylus may be an additional advantage, but I have no direct observations to back that up.

Personally I'm stuck. I won't carry anything larger than a 4" phone, but my eyes need a 6" display and the ability to scale every UI element in every app. So Tim, when Apple builds an iPhone that can warp space-time give me a call ;)

post #94 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I think having an edge-to-edge display would work ok. That would allow the iPhone to maintain the same width and push the display size up to 4.3". It may need to be OLED.

Perhaps they can find a way to merge the front-facing camera with the proximity sensor or just have a row of say 5 dots with the middle one being the camera, the next two being the speakers and the furthest ones being other sensors. This would allow them to shrink the top and bottom bezels a bit. I think they should have the camera on the back in the middle too and maybe even share a sensor because you never use the back and front ones at the same time. This way they can capture the same quality, save some space and perhaps reduce parts.

The bezels on quality displays are getting thinner but there is also production of a device that withstand reasonable impacts to deal with. I am not sure this is possible without the display actually wrapping the edge a bit so the effective look and feel is edge-to-edge but actually being over the edge.

I don't see Apple adopting OLED for their smartphones, tablets or other such devices. There are just too drawbacks to make it worth considering.
post #95 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

Because to remain silent would make it look like the Apple community is only asking for jumbo phones. 

Someone has to speak up on this side of the opinion divide, lest you people take our voice from us. 

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #96 of 100

This is why I'm happy I waited an extra year with my iP3S to buy the iP5, didn't want anymore "S" (.5) models. Realized the full number updates (4,5,6) are the true innovative ones to buy. Glad to see the next will (allegedly) be bigger and hope they also keep the current size. Of course the 5s will still be available in 2014, but curious to see if the '6' will get offered in 4" and 5+" sizes - hopefully it will. Either way I'm all in on a bigger screen and I think it could break sales records as I think it will keep them in top sales and bring in new buyers who want a bigger screen.

Edited by mesomorphicman - 10/10/13 at 8:34pm
post #97 of 100

nope.

it is giving it out for free on contract

post #98 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can, provided you’re only calling other Apple devices.

You know most of my friends and family have or are starting to use Viber and all all them have iPhones, so a iPad Mini may be a viable option for a phone as well, hmmmmm. I like iOS V7 a whole lot more the V6, enough that I just might buy a Retina version of the Mini when it is released.

post #99 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post

If you use your phone for something other than calling more than you use it for calling then you have something wrong with you and should buy an iPad not a phone.
by definition phones are supposed to be used to make calls.

That's simply not true, maybe three years ago. With the overwhelming amount VOIP software like; Viber, Hangouts, Facetime, ect., large amounts of the populous just aren't making traditional GSM calls anymore, even SMS is being slowly replaced with the likes of WhatsApp, Kik and especially Facebook Messenger used by the kids. The company I work for has gone completely VOIP for their phones because of the enormous cost savings. Most of our mobile IP’s here in Switzerland offer unlimited internet, you pay accordingly to the download speed now, not the data capacity. Here is the payment chart for Swisscom. As you can see from the table a all the time on internet solution is very inexpensive.

So using your iPhone without ever making a traditional call is a very acceptable practice nowadays and frankly GSM calls will probably see the same fate as phone booths, they'll exist you'll just have to look real had to find it.
Edited by Relic - 10/11/13 at 6:03am
post #100 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The irony is that he thinks he speaks for everyone.

He doesn't speak for everyone- but he does for several people- like me.  I would prefer a larger iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I think many more have switched from a big phone to a iPhone than vice versa.

The key word is "iPhone".  I would buy a 3" iPhone before I bought a 4.8" Android- although I'd much prefer the screen.  I want iOS.  And I want a Bigger screen.  iOS outweighs my desire for a screen, but the desire is still valid.

Again- I think they should offer an additional size.  Not a replacement.  They do this with every other product line and don't have a problem with it for developers (see- iPad/iPad Mini).

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Supply chain visit makes analyst 'confident' about larger iPhone in 2014
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Supply chain visit makes analyst 'confident' about larger iPhone in 2014