or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › As BlackBerry lays of 40% of workers, Apple sees opportunity to recruit talent
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

As BlackBerry lays of 40% of workers, Apple sees opportunity to recruit talent

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 

Less than a week after BlackBerry announced plans to slash 40 percent of its workforce, Apple hosted a recruitment drive near the company's corporate headquarters in Canada.

 


Apple reportedly held the event to hire new talent on Sept. 26 in Waterloo, Ontario, according to the Financial Post. Invitations to the event were reportedly sent out by Apple to BlackBerry employees via the employment-focused social networking site LinkedIn.

In that note, Apple informed prospective employees that most of the jobs it is hiring for will be based out of its Cupertino, Calif., headquarters. The iPhone maker promised immigration assistance and relocation compensation for candidates that may be hired.

Just six days before — the same day Apple launched the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c — BlackBerry announced it would be laying off 40 percent of its workforce. A few days after that, BlackBerry revealed it had agreed to a $4.7 billion buyout from a Toronto holding company.

Apple isn't alone in looking to pick up potential talent from BlackBerry, as Intel also reportedly held a recruiting fair just a few days later.

Once virtually synonymous with the idea of mobile productivity, BlackBerry was slow to react to the emergence of competition from Apple's iPhone and other devices running Google's Android operating system. The years since its peak have seen BlackBerry, formerly known as Research in Motion, plummet in terms of both market share and revenue.

post #2 of 44
Is only Apple left to hold up the American economy almost single-handedly now?
post #3 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

Is only Apple left to hold up the American economy almost single-handedly now?
Lol! Don't they hold a tenth of all corporate cash in the US? Yeah, our government could learn a thing or three from this company (on how to generate money and value, not just borrow it)
post #4 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

Is only Apple left to hold up the American economy almost single-handedly now?

Over exaggeration of the century?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #5 of 44
Good! Maybe Apple will start taking exchange support seriously.
post #6 of 44

Grab a few engineers maybe, but don't grab any management or upper management types, as Blackberry's management has got to be the biggest bunch of clueless morons ever.

post #7 of 44

I hope  the Apple can get some of their good RF engineers.  BlackBerry phones still have some of the best cellular transceivers in the business.  Even with the new generation, you can place a call on a Z10 where the iPhone 5c or 5s has no service.

 

I'm not sure how much success they'll have convincing engineers to move to the US though.  While Canadians generally have no problems with Americans, the current government fiasco over healthcare and the polarized politics have made it more difficult for us Canadians to take the country seriously.

post #8 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by therfman View Post
 

I hope  the Apple can get some of their good RF engineers.  BlackBerry phones still have some of the best cellular transceivers in the business.  Even with the new generation, you can place a call on a Z10 where the iPhone 5c or 5s has no service.

True. But the iPhone's less than superior antenna is not a product of inferior engineering. It's one of the very few examples of form over function amongst Apple products.

post #9 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

Grab a few engineers maybe, but don't grab any management or upper management types, as Blackberry's management has got to be the biggest bunch of clueless morons ever.

Easy to kick someone when they are down. When Apple was down, were their middle managers clueless morons? Well, some of those clueless morons are still at Cupertino and seemingly much more clued in.

post #10 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by therfman View Post

I'm not sure how much success they'll have convincing engineers to move to the US though.  While Canadians generally have no problems with Americans, the current government fiasco over healthcare and the polarized politics have made it more difficult for us Canadians to take the country seriously.

Because Apple won't give them health insurance?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #11 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

So let them stay up north and starve, their choice. They are not exactly essential. 
Beat me to it!!😁😁
I was about to say something about being hungry making the US look decent.
post #12 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Apple was down, were their middle managers clueless morons? Well, some of those clueless morons are still at Cupertino and seemingly much more clued in.

???

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #13 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post
 

Easy to kick someone when they are down. When Apple was down, were their middle managers clueless morons? Well, some of those clueless morons are still at Cupertino and seemingly much more clued in.

I don't mind kicking people, regardless if they're down or not. As long as it's deserved, then they deserve to be kicked.

 

And yes, Apple's bad period was due to bad management.

post #14 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by therfman View Post

I hope  the Apple can get some of their good RF engineers.  BlackBerry phones still have some of the best cellular transceivers in the business.  Even with the new generation, you can place a call on a Z10 where the iPhone 5c or 5s has no service.

I'm not sure how much success they'll have convincing engineers to move to the US though.  While Canadians generally have no problems with Americans, the current government fiasco over healthcare and the polarized politics have made it more difficult for us Canadians to take the country seriously.

You are a riot! Your country has screwed up their healthcare system so bad, my Mother's doctor left Ontario after seeing his patients die or become drug addicts while waiting for their appts with specialists that took over a year. By the time their appt was approaching, one patient had succumbed to his back injury and the other was addicted to pain killers.

Add to the mix, Ted Cruz is Canadian. I would gladly trade him for a couple of engineers from Waterloo. At least they can get fired for not doing their job.

Disclosure: like a lot of Americans, I blame both parties.
post #15 of 44
Don't need to move to Cupertino. Just open an office in Canada and work from there.
post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Easy to kick someone when they are down.
It isn't a matter of kicking people when they are down, it is addressing real cultural issue that RIM has that would suggest that Apple would better off looking elsewhere for managers.
Quote:
When Apple was down, were their middle managers clueless morons?
Actually many where, that is why Steve cleaned house when he retook control of Apple!
Quote:
Well, some of those clueless morons are still at Cupertino and seemingly much more clued in.

Maybe a very few but Steve put his dream team in place and went to town restructuring Apple into a businesses that could survive until they could deliver new products.
post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerofTruth View Post
You are a riot! Your country has screwed up their healthcare system so bad, my Mother's doctor left Ontario after seeing his patients die or become drug addicts while waiting for their appts with specialists that took over a year. By the time their appt was approaching, one patient had succumbed to his back injury and the other was addicted to pain killers.

Yes... having read your little rant I can only deduce that the Canadian health care system is a mess and drives patients to drug addiction or death, and that the US health care system is much better, more efficient, fairer and doesn't drive people to drug addiction and death.

post #18 of 44
Apple might as well just buy RIM with the spare change from last weeks interest on their cash pile. I'm sure they won't miss it anyway...
post #19 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerofTruth View Post

You are a riot! Your country has screwed up their healthcare system so bad, my Mother's doctor left Ontario after seeing his patients die or become drug addicts while waiting for their appts with specialists that took over a year. By the time their appt was approaching, one patient had succumbed to his back injury and the other was addicted to pain killers.
Our problem is that what was sold to many Americans is not what we got. That largely due to the fact that Democrats know they can't be honest with Americans as we would reject what they are really up to.
Quote:
Add to the mix, Ted Cruz is Canadian. I would gladly trade him for a couple of engineers from Waterloo. At least they can get fired for not doing their job.

Disclosure: like a lot of Americans, I blame both parties.
The current mess is 100% a creation of the Democrats, even big labor has seen the light in that regard. Obama won using a good old fashion bait and switch game, people are finally realizing that. That doesn't mean the Republicans have a good track record, but currently they are just responding to the demands of many Americans to check Obama.

In any event back to Apples future Canadian employees. The problem isn't the countries state but rather the culture shock of going to work in the Bay Area. There are many things to adapt to from the earthquakes to vastly different climate to the overwhelming number of criminals from the south. Hell for most Americans California sucks as a state. So for transplants from Canada it won't be easy to adapt.

I do hope the hired engineers ask for a huge pay raise because the other big problem for Apple in the Bay Area is cost of living.
post #20 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjapk View Post

Apple might as well just buy RIM with the spare change from last weeks interest on their cash pile. I'm sure they won't miss it anyway...

Apple is not in the charity business, and Apple should not buy Blackberry, because it's not worth it.

post #21 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morky View Post

Good! Maybe Apple will start taking exchange support seriously.


Maybe Microsoft will start taking non-Windows device support seriously. Oh wait, what's this RT thing?

ActiveSync sux.

post #22 of 44
Apple will probably get some very talented people out of this. When a company starts down, the best people tend to be the most eager to leave. They're the ones who have the best chance of finding new jobs.

This remark practically begs for a comment: "I'm not sure how much success they'll have convincing engineers to move to the US though. While Canadians generally have no problems with Americans, the current government fiasco over healthcare and the polarized politics have made it more difficult for us Canadians to take the country seriously."

You're talking about Canada right? The country that's headed down the same path as the NHS in the UK. The country where people could get a CAT scan for their dog or cat the same day but often waited months to get one for themselves.

And as outrageous as that sounds, it was actually even worse. Those human/pet CAT scans were being done on the same machines. Canada's Obamacare-like bureaucracy had only allocated enough money to scan people eight-hours a day. After hours, they were used for pets because pet owners paid for their scans.

If you want to see just how bad the NHS is, Google "hospital formal complaint" I just did. The top four hits are for the NHS. Only when you get to #5 do you find procedures for U.S. hospitals. And in the U.S., if you don't like a hospital, you can transfer to another. In the U.K., the NHS decides if, when, where and how you are treated.

After WWII, the British had to cope with adapting from being a world power to becoming one dependent on the U.S. for any influence they had in the world. Many did that by concluding that, "Well, we may be nothing on the world stage, but at least we have the NHS."

Europeans don't agree, fleeing to their home country at the slightest sign of a sickness. And the recent expose of scandals of the NHS, people dying unattended and lying in their own s___t, have begun to break down that mystique. Pouring money at the problem isn't helping.

But what's scary is that, judging by what has happened so far, those who want to bring us Obamacare seem likely to create something far worse. Liberals in Congress aren't even pretending the scheme will work and are desperate to make sure that neither they nor their staff are enrolled.

If I were a Canadian considering taking a job in the U.S., I would be worried about Obamacare, but what'd bother me would be the impact it will have before it collapses.
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuide View Post
 


Maybe Microsoft will start taking non-Windows device support seriously. Oh wait, what's this RT thing?

ActiveSync sux.

 

Is it ActiveSync or Apple's implementation? I actually don't know. Never have email problems, actually, but keeping calendars in sync is really problematic. I advise users not to accept or change meetings on their iOS devices. Also, there is an API for setting out of office. Such an obvious need, and Apple is becoming the de facto choice for corporate smart phones. They need to spend a lot more in this area.

post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

 

So let them stay up north and starve, their choice. They are not exactly essential. 

Phew, Apple ][ - way too serious - be kinder to therfman and chill a little.
 

The fact that Apple is even considering hiring Blackberry software engineers indicates that Apple understands (even if you do not), that whatever company you work for and however fucked-up that company's management might be, software engineering talent is vital to continued product advancement.  The US seems to be dominated by hardware engineers, they don't seem to get UX.  Canadian (and European) software engineers have a great deal to offer in this area.

post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerofTruth View Post


You are a riot! Your country has screwed up their healthcare system so bad, my Mother's doctor left Ontario after seeing his patients die or become drug addicts while waiting for their appts with specialists that took over a year. By the time their appt was approaching, one patient had succumbed to his back injury and the other was addicted to pain killers.

Add to the mix, Ted Cruz is Canadian. I would gladly trade him for a couple of engineers from Waterloo. At least they can get fired for not doing their job.

Disclosure: like a lot of Americans, I blame both parties.


Wow.  A tag like "HammerofTruth" clearly calls for a comment like "the lady doth protest too much, methinks".

 

We're getting way off-topic here, but since you insist:

 

The "socialist" Canadian health care system is doing quite well in providing for their citizens actually, despite individual failures that any system has to contend with.

From the US perspective, my point would be that "ObamaCare" simply offers a safety net to the impoverished citizens of the US.  That's not "socialist" - merely normal human compassion.

 

Your thoughts?

post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumergo View Post
 

(even if you do not)

 

I most certainly understand, which is why I wrote that Apple should grab a few engineers, but definitely not any manager types from that failed Canadian company. And I am also correct when I state that they are not essential, as Apple has been doing just fine without them, and will continue to do just fine, with or without them.  

post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumergo View Post
That's not "socialist" - merely normal human compassion.

 

Your thoughts?

 

It is disgusting, it will be marred by incompetence, deceit, fraud and it will lead to a lower quality of service. 

post #28 of 44

Agreed, but Apple should/will grab whatever appropriate talent whenever they need.

post #29 of 44
Funny now a few will be working for the other side.........who will the bash now?.??
post #30 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

Is only Apple left to hold up the American economy almost single-handedly now?

Apparently.  It's better than Microsoft doing it.  They'll make everyone do those STUPID dances like they do at their Microsoft Stores.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSAXEVXvNz8

post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

 

It is disgusting, it will be marred by incompetence, deceit, fraud and it will lead to a lower quality of service. 


Do you live in Canada, or are you "an exceptional American" who thinks they have any understanding at all about anything north of the 49th?   "incompetence, deceit, fraud", you must be thinking about the medieval GOP and their approach to civilized government.

 

I wish I could add a smiley face to my comments . . .

post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

 

I most certainly understand, which is why I wrote that Apple should grab a few engineers, but definitely not any manager types from that failed Canadian company. And I am also correct when I state that they are not essential, as Apple has been doing just fine without them, and will continue to do just fine, with or without them.  


Yes Lass,we understand - you're just hyperventilating . . .

post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by therfman View Post

I hope  the Apple can get some of their good RF engineers.  BlackBerry phones still have some of the best cellular transceivers in the business.  Even with the new generation, you can place a call on a Z10 where the iPhone 5c or 5s has no service.

I'm not sure how much success they'll have convincing engineers to move to the US though.  While Canadians generally have no problems with Americans, the current government fiasco over healthcare and the polarized politics have made it more difficult for us Canadians to take the country seriously.

That may be true - but at least we didn't create Justin Bieber
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Our problem is that what was sold to many Americans is not what we got. That largely due to the fact that Democrats know they can't be honest with Americans as we would reject what they are really up to.

Nonsense. In what way are the Democrats lying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The current mess is 100% a creation of the Democrats, even big labor has seen the light in that regard. Obama won using a good old fashion bait and switch game, people are finally realizing that. That doesn't mean the Republicans have a good track record, but currently they are just responding to the demands of many Americans to check Obama.

Bull. The ACA was passed by both houses of Congress - including plenty of Republicans. And Congress is free to try to appeal it if they wish.

Oh, and btw, please explain why this plan was so good when Romney implemented it in Massachusetts, but it's now terrible. Even more to the point, it's almost exactly the same plan the Republicans proposed in opposition to Hillarycare in 1992. So why was it a great idea when the GOP proposed it in 1992 and a terrible idea now?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That may be true - but at least we didn't create Justin Bieber

 

... but you've got Miley to balance that out.  :p

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumergo View Post


Do you live in Canada, or are you "an exceptional American" who thinks they have any understanding at all about anything north of the 49th?   "incompetence, deceit, fraud", you must be thinking about the medieval GOP and their approach to civilized government.

I wish I could add a smiley face to my comments . . .

I am an exceptional person, and I was in fact referring to the American system, not the Canadian. Canada barely registers a faint blip on my radar.
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumergo View Post

 "ObamaCare" simply offers a safety net to the impoverished citizens of the US.  That's not "socialist" - merely normal human compassion. Your thoughts?

 

1. The impoverished already had multiple safety nets. Was it perfect? No. Did something have to be done, yes. But ObamaCare is not it, imo.

2. ObamaCare does more than simply provide a safety net for the impoverished, it affects practically everyone. People are losing their jobs or are having their hours reduced because of this.  

3.  it will be a lot more expensive than Obama's projections (look at the C.B.O numbers) and will contribute to what could be the bankrupting of the country.  Think I'm exaggerating, look at this little gem: "CBO projects that federal debt held by the public would reach 100 percent of GDP in 2038, 25 years from now, even without accounting for the harmful effects that growing debt would have on the economy..." 

And the national debt is not give a true account of how dire the situation really is: 

Oh, and yes, Apple should hire BlackBerry engineers. Just because the company was run into oblivion by 2 clueless Co-CEOs does not mean that all of its employees are also clueless. I'm sure there is a lot of talent there to be poached.

post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
1. Nonsense. In what way are the Democrats lying?
2. Bull. The ACA was passed by both houses of Congress - including plenty of Republicans. And Congress is free to try to appeal it if they wish.
 

 

1. In what way are the Democrats lying? Well, for starters, it's true cost. Not exactly a lie, but they weren't exactly being honest about his either.

2. Including plenty of Republicans:  I think that a  single Republican in the House voted for this. One. In any case, it wasn't "plenty of Republicans."


Edited by Neruda - 10/10/13 at 6:47pm
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Apple will probably get some very talented people out of this. When a company starts down, the best people tend to be the most eager to leave. They're the ones who have the best chance of finding new jobs.

This remark practically begs for a comment: "I'm not sure how much success they'll have convincing engineers to move to the US though. While Canadians generally have no problems with Americans, the current government fiasco over healthcare and the polarized politics have made it more difficult for us Canadians to take the country seriously."

You're talking about Canada right? The country that's headed down the same path as the NHS in the UK. The country where people could get a CAT scan for their dog or cat the same day but often waited months to get one for themselves.

...
If I were a Canadian considering taking a job in the U.S., I would be worried about Obamacare, but what'd bother me would be the impact it will have before it collapses.

LOL

post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

 

So let them stay up north and starve, their choice. They are not exactly essential. 

 

I can assure you that they're unlikely to starve.  I'm in Canada a lot and the economy is far healthier than the US.  Google and others are also recruiting from RIM, so the best are picking the job they want, not the other way around.

post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by therfman View Post

I hope  the Apple can get some of their good RF engineers.  BlackBerry phones still have some of the best cellular transceivers in the business.  Even with the new generation, you can place a call on a Z10 where the iPhone 5c or 5s has no service.

I'm not sure how much success they'll have convincing engineers to move to the US though.  While Canadians generally have no problems with Americans, the current government fiasco over healthcare and the polarized politics have made it more difficult for us Canadians to take the country seriously.
Back 15 years ago when usd was worth a buck sixty Canadian, politics wasn't such an issue. Canadians were clamoring for jobs in the USA.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › As BlackBerry lays of 40% of workers, Apple sees opportunity to recruit talent