or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 5c orders lower than expected, insider says

Apple's iPhone 5c orders lower than expected, insider says - Page 2

post #41 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Explain.

Island, I agree, the numbers do look a bit fishy.  So was trying to understand what he was thinking.  

my guess (and this is only a guess) is that much of the sales he's counting in Sep. Qtr. is all the channel fill (because Apple would correctly count that as revenue) and that he therefore either knows or has estimated that a great deal of that inventory has not sold to customers.  Therefore even with increased customer sales in Dec. Qtr., the channels will not need to fully replenish their inventory.  It's theoretically possible that there would be greater customer sales in Dec. Qtr. than Sep. Qtr. but that Apple would show the reverse because of how revenue is recognized in GAAP.

Edited by JamesMac - 10/11/13 at 9:41am
post #42 of 181
And let's not forget in January the Wall Street Journal reported that Apple was cutting their iPhone 5 components by half, supposedly because or weak sales. Apple stock got hammered. We know now that wasn't true. Why should we treat these stories any different?
post #43 of 181
Could the demand for the 5s have been underestimated? It's a more positive point of view 1wink.gif

For the 5c, we should wait after Christmas and for data from China, India... before judging the success or not of this model.
post #44 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Plastic not so fantastic.

Why get a Volkswagen when you can get a Mercedes for $100 more.

Quote:
 Originally Posted by Harmon

If Apple really wanted to move the 5c's (which apparently they do from all the advertising they have for them) the price should have been $49 w/ contract or $499 off contract to begin with.  $49 is much more in the impulse purchase range and would have garnered a lot more attention from the masses without killing Apple's margins.  
Quote:

Actually, it appears that Apple intended the 5c to play a much bigger role than the 4s last year.

Changing the body and then advertising the crap out of it would indicate that Apple is hoping for high sales of the 5c... maybe even in line with the 5s.

There are several factors at work here.

First, Apple has ample capacity to churn out last year's guts in a plastic case - while challenges somewhere in the supply/production process are limiting their ability to meet demand for the 5s. So they're pushing the 5c partly because they know they can meet any practical demand for it that they can gin up with the marketing.

Second, the "production experience" factor has already amortized the cost of gearing up for making the internals of the 5c - even with the one or two bits they updated; so with the plastic case, margins are probably higher than the old model of selling the 5 as this year's exact $99 [subsidized] phone. 

So Apple has plenty of incentive to push the model they have most readily available - at least until they can gear up to have the 5s in immediate stock (and work out a few of the bugs that are coming up with both the new phone, e.g., the simultaneous 64 bit/iOS 7 transition, crash rates, frequency of early sub-point OS updates, etc.).

Third, however, lots of people may know a little more about tech than some are giving credit, and marketing the 5c as "a new model" when it's really "old wine in new bottles" may not be striking the marketing chord Apple hoped for. 

People knew for sure that the 4s was last year's model in the last release cycle and accepted it as such, whereas word on the street (or at least quite a few streets) re the 5c may be, "Hey, Apple's pushing the old one posing as a new one for not much less."

And as the (early) Rolling Stones noted, "Who [with an extra hundred bucks] wants yesterday's papers/who wants yesterday's news..."  Plus the unlocked price may be - just as many click-baiting pundits have opined - to give devils their occasional due - a bit to a lot beyond the reach of some international markets where there are openings below the 5s level.

Therefore, if Apple's "we'll put it in a new cute case and make big margin as people lap it up based on the halo of our corporate image" is coming across as a bit of hubris, I think Harmon's notes on sweet spot pricing for their strategy to work may be pretty spot on.  With all the stores giving $50 off on the 5c, the up front price for many IS effectively $49.... ...which may be what it should have been (along with his $499 unlocked suggestion which would break - in the US - a psychological barrier, namely "less than $500" and would put it a little more in reach elsewhere).  I.e., although it cuts across Apple's grain, a case where a little less margin might well result in commensurately higher sales and eventual higher net profit, since demand for the 5s is pretty much a given...

...given that the consensus of reviews (and I've read at least 10) that the 5s overall is the best smart phone currently available anywhere (except among the growing "screen size envy" contingent).

Finally, they will, yes, still sell many, many 5c's over the next year, if likely less than they hoped, but the 6c - with Touch ID and 64 bitness - may be a better seller next year. Especially if they learn a few things from this first foray into phone "re-cladding" and fine-tune their red pencils and marketing.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #45 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

There was nothing wrong about the 5C, just the pricing. 

In any case although Kuo is the best analyst, he is saying - as already pointed out -  that Apple massively  overstuffed the channel with 10 million sold ( into channel ) in one week, and now only 11 million will sell into Christmas. 

Thats nuts.

And Apple have a clear answer here. Replace the 4S with an 8G iPhone 5C ( even with a price increase). Nothing to worry about long term. Remember the original iPhone was overpriced. 

If he had said 3 million sold in the first 10 days and then his prediction of 10.4 million in the 1st fiscal quarter... well, I would say that seems much more accurate.  [for actual sell through... although I'd probably add 2-3 million more for the holiday quarter]

Edited by island hermit - 10/11/13 at 9:49am
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #46 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

Island, I agree, the numbers do look a bit fishy.  So was trying to understand what he was thinking.  

my guess (and this is only a guess) is that he's counting sales in Sep. Qtr. as all the channel fill (because Apple would correctly count that as revenue) and that he therefore either knows or has estimated that a great deal of that inventory has not sold to customers.  Therefore even with increased customer sales in Dec. Qtr., the channels will not need to fully replenish their inventory.  It's theoretically possible that there would be greater customer sales in Dec. Qtr. than Sep. Qtr. but that Apple would show the reverse because of how revenue is recognized in GAAP.
How would Kuo know if there is unsold inventory? I can't imagine any reseller disclosing that information to him. So basically his initial estimate was a guess and his reduced estimate is the same.
post #47 of 181
I'm getting the 5c for all my kids now. I'm sure I'm not the only one following this trend. These analysts are all worthless. Ignore them.
post #48 of 181
It is not my personal phone, but I have a 5c right here that my company bought for app development and testing.

The 5c has a very good feel to it and looks really nice and feels good in the hand. It feels better in the hand than any of the Samsung plastic phones I've had in hand. It feels good and solid. Very nice for an intro iPhone.

My personal phone is currently a 5 but UPS brought my 5s by yesterday and my wife had left the house 1frown.gif.

But I have no hesitation in recommending a 5c to a regular Joe who is price conscious.
post #49 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ealvarez View Post

Could the demand for the 5s have been underestimated? It's a more positive point of view 1wink.gif

For the 5c, we should wait after Christmas and for data from China, India... before judging the success or not of this model.

So far, Apple has not broken down its phone sales by product.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #50 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

my guess (and this is only a guess) is that much of the sales he's counting in Sep. Qtr. is all the channel fill (because Apple would correctly count that as revenue) and that he therefore either knows or has estimated that a great deal of that inventory has not sold to customers.  Therefore even with increased customer sales in Dec. Qtr., the channels will not need to fully replenish their inventory.  It's theoretically possible that there would be greater customer sales in Dec. Qtr. than Sep. Qtr. but that Apple would show the reverse because of how revenue is recognized in GAAP.

11.4 million in the channel for the 2012 4th quarter? Wow! I think even that is high..

21.8 million in the channel for both quarters... well, that sounds more in line.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #51 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Maybe it wasn't a mistake but a signal. That folks claiming Apple is going to phablet the iPhone are wrong. At least for the foreseeable future. Think about it, Apple investing in a whole new case production in the current size is a risky biz for just one years use. Same with changing up the home button for the new touch id. Depending on the margins they might need several yrs to really see a return on those investments. So using then for one year and then moving on to something else might not be in the game. Despite what folks like Munster and his 'real' TV say

Particularly when you consider that with things like Skype and Facetime audio the iPad Mini can be a phablet already. Why would Apple have to make a phone that is just barely smaller than that.

That's why i speculated that this year is just a huge "transition" year for Apple.  And i think in the early months of this year it was highly speculated that this year was going to be full of flatness for Apple both figuratively and financially.  I think with iOS 7 and the new line-up of Macs, Apple is hinting at the future of the company for the next few years.  Better battery life, better this and that, but nothing earth-shattering until the next few years.  2014 and 2015 i think are going to be big years for Apple.

Thinking more about it.  this year we had to have a *tock* year and Apple *had* do do more than just a 5s.  I don't think waiting another year for two new iPhone models would be a smart decision.  If there was a big *mistake* it was keeping the 4S around and not making the 5c the budget phone.  But if they re-branded the 5c to 4S specs, it would have been a disaster.  My old iPhone 4 on iOS 7 is painfully slow and choppy.  I'm assuming the 4S is no different.  iOS7 was made for the min. specs on the iPHone 5.

So in short, i understand why Apple did what they did, but it's just not paying off as well as anyone expected.  i'd even venture a guess that not even Apple expected such lack of love for the 5c.

I just upgraded to a 5s from my 4 and it's insanely faster.  Just bought my better half the 5c from her 4 and she loves it.  So now we have one of each, and i'd have to say...I love the design of the 5c better than the 5s, just wish the 5c had the A7 M7 and touch ID.  It's not cheap at all and it feels great in your hand.  The 5s just feels too delicate and much lighter.  Despite getting gold (because it's different) i feel i have to put a case around it just in case...

post #52 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Hey I am here to amuse you lol.

Ok I'll be decisive:  He is flat out wrong. 

Apple will show great numbers for the 5C in the holiday quarter.

That's much better.  lol

We don't want anyone to think that you are wavering.  ;)

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #53 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Maybe it wasn't a mistake but a signal. That folks claiming Apple is going to phablet the iPhone are wrong. At least for the foreseeable future. Think about it, Apple investing in a whole new case production in the current size is a risky biz for just one years use. Same with changing up the home button for the new touch id. Depending on the margins they might need several yrs to really see a return on those investments. So using then for one year and then moving on to something else might not be in the game. Despite what folks like Munster and his 'real' TV say

Particularly when you consider that with things like Skype and Facetime audio the iPad Mini can be a phablet already. Why would Apple have to make a phone that is just barely smaller than that.

What do you consider to be a phablet? It is 4.8", 5", 5.3", 5.7" 6"? Just curious what is the dividing line between what you would consider a smartphone vs. a phablet. I am not a fan of Samsung at all but I will admit that their ability to include a much larger display in the Galaxy S4 and Note 3 while keeping the actual size of the phone about the same was a smart move. Apple could also probably make a 4.8" to 5" iPhone model that does not have a noticeably larger footprint than the current model. Even the Galaxy S4 is pocketable and I doubt Apple would go that large. I still think they should retain a 4" model alongside a larger one to give people a choice. The 4" version could also probably shrink in size if they can come up with a clever way to reduce the forehead and chin on the iPhone which takes up a lot more space than Android phones.  The forehead part would be easy to do but the home button would be far more problematic to reduce in size especially now that you have a fingerprint scanner.

It might be a few years off but I won't be surprised to see a return to clamshell type designs. These new flexible OLED screens would allow you to fold your iPhone like an old flip phone in two parts which acts as a case when not in use. Then you flip it out and have a nice big 6" display when you want to use it. It would also allow you to carry it easily. Perhaps they could also figure out a way to keep it closed for voice calls so that you aren't holding a huge phone to your face. Perhaps a second smaller display with access to phone features on the back. We are just getting started and smart phones today will look just as antiquated in 10 years as the Motorola Razr does to us today. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

post #54 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Does it really matter if the price of a 5c is $50, $100, or even free? That is a tiny fraction of the total cost of ownership over a 2 year contract commitment. Depending on your carrier and plan the total cost over 2 years is likely to be around $1,700. I really don't understand why anyone would choose a 5c over a 5s with just a $100 difference since that works out to only an extra $4.16 per month over the contract for a much better phone. 

I guess that would depend if you are stupid enough to sign up to a really expensive plan. My daughter has a £7.50 per month plan and wants a 5c but not at £480.

Her iPhone 4 should have been good for another year or so but iOS 7 has turned that into something with all the responsiveness as a cheap Android phone. Will probably end up getting a second hand 4s or 5 from eBay once all the 5s upgraders have their new phones and the market becomes flooded.

post #55 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Does it really matter if the price of a 5c is $50, $100, or even free? That is a tiny fraction of the total cost of ownership over a 2 year contract commitment. Depending on your carrier and plan the total cost over 2 years is likely to be around $1,700. I really don't understand why anyone would choose a 5c over a 5s with just a $100 difference since that works out to only an extra $4.16 per month over the contract for a much better phone. 

Here is he reason why I bought my better half the 5c.  She's been off-contract with AT&T on a discounted rate $48/mo unlimited Data plan (from the Gen 1 iPhone, and with corporate discounts from AB) since then.  I bought her an iPHone 4 off contract 2 years ago and this year she got the 16gb 5c off contract.  She pays so much less for her service that financing a phone would be ludicrous.  Plus, she wanted the green phone and could care less about touch ID or the other improvements.

I got myself the 5s because i'm switching to T-Mobile's $50/mo. plan and I travel 50% of the year in China.  So i need the all-in-one phone off contract.  The Added security features and camera improvements will allow me to travel without my Point and Shoot also.  And since the "Big 3" don't reduce the rates after the subsidy is paid off, i gave AT&T the finger and moved to T-Mobile.

That's why...

post #56 of 181
Quote:

Actually, it appears that Apple intended the 5c to play a much bigger role than the 4s last year.

Changing the body and then advertising the crap out of it would indicate that Apple is hoping for high sales of the 5c... maybe even in line with the 5s.

All that based on no data and two weeks of speculation? 5C will sell better than the 4S did last year. The target consumers for the 5C and 5S are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillio View Post

The evidence keeps coming in that 5c was a bad idea. I know it's not enough for some of you who by default give Apple all the credit, but even Apple can make mistakes, you know. It's happened in the past, and this kind of attitude to endorse anything just because Apple did it, and for Apple to think that they know best what people want without regarding those people's opinions, is what can get them in trouble. That's how BlackBerry went down, because they thought they knew what their customers wanted better than their customers. 

I'm a big Apple fan, but I reserve to be critical of them, too, especially of late, after the 5c came out and after iOS7. 

Evidence? There is no evidence. The 5C is probably selling better than almost every other phone.

Blackberry went down because they didn't know what to do when the iPhone was announced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

That's why i speculated that this year is just a huge "transition" year for Apple.  And i think in the early months of this year it was highly speculated that this year was going to be full of flatness for Apple both figuratively and financially.  I think with iOS 7 and the new line-up of Macs, Apple is hinting at the future of the company for the next few years.  Better battery life, better this and that, but nothing earth-shattering until the next few years.  2014 and 2015 i think are going to be big years for Apple.

Thinking more about it.  this year we had to have a *tock* year and Apple *had* do do more than just a 5s.  I don't think waiting another year for two new iPhone models would be a smart decision.  If there was a big *mistake* it was keeping the 4S around and not making the 5c the budget phone.  But if they re-branded the 5c to 4S specs, it would have been a disaster.  My old iPhone 4 on iOS 7 is painfully slow and choppy.  I'm assuming the 4S is no different.  iOS7 was made for the min. specs on the iPHone 5.

Your assumption is wrong. iOS 7 runs near perfectly on my 4S.
post #57 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ealvarez View Post

Yes - I agree. And I am with Landcruiser. The kids are getting the C. And really, there is nothing cheap about the 5c. The future is bright for the plastic model. 

post #58 of 181

Why would anyone get product A when product B is better and "just $100 more" is asked a lot.  The answer is "because for some people the 'better' part isn't worth $100."  A guy I work with got a green 5c and asked me why I spent more to get the 5s.  My wife, who got a 5c to replace her 4 asked the same question.  My answer of "faster processor and better camera and fingerprint thingie" struck them as somewhat lame.  Metal versus plastic was completely irrelevant.  For them, spending an extra $100 to get basically the same iPhone experience is basically a waste of money.

Also, Apple doesn't really care if they lose 5c sales to the 5s or vice versa.  Why should they?  Does anyone think Apple sold fewer phones in the past month because they rolled out two models?  That they would have done better if they had just rolled out the 5s and left the 5 as-is?  I don't.  People like to think they are getting the "latest and greatest" so by repackage the 5 as the 5c, people get that experience and are happy to buy it (to replace their pre-5 iPhones).

The only relevant question is whether people are buying an iPhone instead of an Android or something else.  Which model of iPhone is almost completely irrelevant.

post #59 of 181
I'll wait for the official numbers.
post #60 of 181

Apple's iPhone 5c orders lower than expected, insider says

How stupid can you possibly be, AI users ask

Originally Posted by dillio View Post
The evidence keeps coming in that 5c was a bad idea.

When you have even one piece of that evidence, let us know.

Im a big Apple fan, but

Wahh wahh wahh, even Apple can make mistakes, wahh wahh wahh, you know no one is infallible, wahh wahh wahh… how about something substantive instead of this useless dreck?

Originally Posted by heroinsmoker View Post
They should have upgraded the specs to be close to the 5S.

You are now the LEADER in the most accurate username race. Stop smoking heroin and learn what the 5C is.

No one is going to upgrade to a 5C if it isn't any better than a 5.

No one is stupid enough to actually believe this. Stop pretending.

If they wanted a 5 they would have gotten one already.

Or they would buy this. Now. Because it’s $100 cheaper. Just like Apple has done for the past five years.

This was one of the most idiotic product ideas I've ever seen at Apple. "We'll sell them last year's phone - but thicker and in plastic colors!"  

Ah, but “We’ll sell them last year’s phone, with absolutely no change whatsoever in any capacity” was EFFING GENIUS, was it? :no: 

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #61 of 181
I do not believe the analysts. Because the iPhone 5C to nov. 1. comes in 51 countries !!!!
post #62 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Plastic not so fantastic.

I don't think it's the plastic that buyers object to. I suspect it's the repellant inorganic colors! Horrid, nasty, ugly stuff.

post #63 of 181
I suspect Apple restricts the kind of offers its partners can give on its flagship phone, whereas it does not on the 5c, and that's why we're seeing more offers.
post #64 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

All that based on no data and two weeks of speculation? 5C will sell better than the 4S did last year. The target consumers for the 5C and 5S are different.
Evidence? There is no evidence. The 5C is probably selling better than almost every other phone.

All that based on no data and two weeks of speculation?

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #65 of 181

He, 512ke was commenting on the author who said that Apple was wrong and missed expectations. He then commented on the story by introducing the notion that it's very likely that Apple is very happy with the results and that analysts are full of malarky. The "might" was the notion that we do not know what Apple is thinking or what their expectations are.  So, according to us, the sales of the 5c and %s may be perfectly in line with Apple's expectations. Who cares what the analysts want or say.

I thought this was pretty obvious.

post #66 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I'll wait for the official numbers.

It's unlikely that Apple will say how many 5c models they've sold, so we'll always be stuck with analysts' guesswork.

Personally, I don't see a problem; if more people are buying the 5s then the 5c has done its job.

post #67 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post

I agree.  If Apple really wanted to move the 5c's (which apparently they do from all the advertising they have for them) the price should have been $49 w/ contract or $499 off contract to begin with.  $49 is much more in the impulse purchase range and would have garnered a lot more attention from the masses without killing Apple's margins.  

I don't understand Apple's strategy with the 5c. It doesn't seem priced to sell (the problem isn't that it is "too expensive" at $100 with contract. The problem is that it is only $100 less than the 5s, which is a much better product). At the same time, Apple is advertising it far more than they are the 5s. So it seems like it is being marketed to sell.

I think the production issues with the 5s really caught Apple off guard, forcing them to promote the 5c like the latest greatest, as opposed to like they did the 4s last year.

post #68 of 181
Quote:

11.4 million in the channel for the 2012 4th quarter? Wow! I think even that is high..

21.8 million in the channel for both quarters... well, that sounds more in line.

That's why I said 'my guess is' in my first post, because, I agree that number sounds very high.  Don't forget though that you need to also factor in direct sales and subtract that from the 11.4.  Maybe they sold as many as 2 million directly??  and put 9.4 through the channel?

post #69 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

iOS 7 runs near perfectly on my 4S.

It also runs better on my iPhone 4 than iOS6 did. Although, I am seeing a few (rare) crashes, but did not see any at all with iOS6.

post #70 of 181

I'd like to see the 5C's sales after the holiday quarter. I see the 5C mainly aimed at the younger crowd. I've said it a few times here before and I'll say it again, the $99 price point is actually pretty good. Now you can get 2 iPhone 5C's for the price of just 1 iPhone 5S. If you have children who want phones, and/or are due for an update this holiday season you can get 2 phones for $198. I think thats huge at a time where money is hard for people. This is where I see the 5C is cheaper (not cheap, cheaper!). For this reason alone I think it will be a hit this holiday season.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #71 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by diz_geek View Post

I don't think this phone is really for people to be upgrading from the iPhone 5 - this is for the 3/3GS/4/4S people.

Yeah, upgrading from the 5 to the 5C would be kinda dumb, unless you really really like those bright colors, but again, I don't think this is the audience for the 5C.

Really? What about all those millions of 4/4S 'people' who have 64GB?

To not offer that capacity was (is) a complete mistake.

post #72 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why should we treat these stories any different?

Because the 5C is being discounted by many retailers?

See, e.g., http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/walmart-drops-price-phone-5c-45-best-buys/story?id=20474818

post #73 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I'd like to see the 5C's sales after the holiday quarter. I see the 5C mainly aimed at the younger crowd. I've said it a few times here before and I'll say it again, the $99 price point is actually pretty good. Now you can get 2 iPhone 5C's for the price of just 1 iPhone 5S. If you have children who want phones, and/or are due for an update this holiday season you can get 2 phones for $198. I think thats huge at a time where money is hard for people. This is where I see the 5C is cheaper (not cheap, cheaper!). For this reason alone I think it will be a hit this holiday season.

The actual price is not the subsidised American price.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #74 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Lower than WHO expected?
Were 5C sales lower than APPLE expected?
Were they lower than the phone the 5C replaced, last year's 4S at this time?

The guy 1) makes a prediction, 2) sees his prediction is s/not true/WILDLY INCORRECT/, and 3) proclaims that Apple failed to meet expectations.

Yeah, they failed to meet his arbitrary number.

In other words, HE failed. HIS prediction was WRONG.

APPLE might be very happy with their sales numbers for the 5C.

We'll find out in 17 days how Apple feels.

But realize, people waiting to buy a new iPhone weren't waiting for a iPhone 5 'repackage' they were waiting for the 5s.

Now... the 5c is less expensive to make, and has slightly higher (we think) margins than the 5s (and 4s, again, speculation).

The more and more I think about it, the 'c' stands for 'Carrier' or 'Commercial'  as it's the one that Carriers want to sell.

I think you'll see the 'c' prominently displayed with '$50-$100' off sales during the holidays.   And we haven't seen China Mobile come online yet.   I do think that's the market this was targeted for.

And this fits into my theory that the 5c will have more frequent incremental upgrades (my guess it will have at least m7 in the next iteration, and likely in the spring,  maybe even another  by summer (A7) and by the release of the 6(s?) the 5c will be a 5s in everything but skin (touchID).     Hence the buzz will be more continual ('"Improved" 5c', the '"Even Faster" 5c', "FASTEST 5c EVER MADE!"), and will have more reasons to keep 'the $99 phone' in the customer's field of vision.

post #75 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

I don't think it's the plastic that buyers object to. I suspect it's the repellant inorganic colors! Horrid, nasty, ugly stuff.

But- but- but-............ Jony Ive designed them!

Personally I love 'em.
Now iOS 7- that's another story.

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #76 of 181

Lower than expected by Apple, or lower than projected by clueless and corrupt Wall Street analysts?

post #77 of 181
Quote:

I'm not sure about the whole "if Steve" argument but I do believe that there is a lot riding on the 5c. It's Tim's first real departure from product tradition and if it flops then the analysts will be shouting, "I told you so!!".

Product tradition? What tradition? Use of color? Use of plastic? Going down-market? Apple has done all these thing before in mobile devices.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #78 of 181
So much for the "cannibalization" theory of 5C killing off 5S sales.
I'm sure Apple would much prefer that customers buy the higher margin 5S.

Also, Touch ID will be a key enabler for next-gen password security and purchase authorization.
I think Apple might disrupt brick-and-mortar retail sales before they disrupt the TV industry.
Just go to an Apple Store and buy something with Easy Pay through the Apple Store app for a preview.
Easy Pay combines strong loss prevention with inventory control and ties into customers' iTunes accounts.
And there are 575 million iTunes accounts. Lots of leverage into the greater retail sector.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #79 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

I think the production issues with the 5s really caught Apple off guard, forcing them to promote the 5c like the latest greatest, as opposed to like they did the 4s last year.

Correlation always equals causation?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #80 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

I don't understand Apple's strategy with the 5c. It doesn't seem priced to sell (the problem isn't that it is "too expensive" at $100 with contract. The problem is that it is only $100 less than the 5s, which is a much better product). At the same time, Apple is advertising it far more than they are the 5s. So it seems like it is being marketed to sell.

The average joe/jane is more price aware than us. To them it's $100 less and thAts all that matters.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 5c orders lower than expected, insider says