or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Some iPhone 5s owners reporting 'Blue Screen of Death' with iWork apps

Some iPhone 5s owners reporting 'Blue Screen of Death' with iWork apps

post #1 of 76
A number of iPhone 5s owners have taken to Apple's support pages to report that their devices are occasionally plagued by a Windows-like "Blue Screen of Death" that resets the device when they are using Apple's iWork suite of apps.

image via PCMag

Posts regarding the Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) began to appear on Apple's support boards in September, with users claiming that their iPhone 5s units would crash when using Apple's iWork apps. Some users have posted videos showing the problem occurring when accessing the multitasking function while using an iWork app, while others say the problem occurs after quitting one of the apps.

The issue, which has also been reported for the iPad, causes an iOS device's screen to show only blue. The device then resets. Some have reported that the issue has occurred even outside the use of Apple's iWork apps, including while using Siri and while switching between other apps.

Apple has yet to comment on the matter.

The iPhone BSoD issue could be seen as an ironic twist, as the name comes from a problem that has plagued Microsoft's Windows operating system since version 3.1. Windows' BSoD would display text informing users that their "PC ran into a problem and needs to restart." The bug was prevalent enough that the Blue Screen of Death has its own Wikipedia page.

One apparent workaround for the iPhone BSoD is to disable iCloud syncing for iWork apps. Other users suggest exiting from an iWork app to the iOS home screen before attempting to switch to another app.

post #2 of 76

just be happy you have your 5s :P 

post #3 of 76

I haven't seen a BSOD in aeons.  Thanks for the memories, Apple.

post #4 of 76
It's happened to me a single time while using iPhoto on the 5S. Sudden solid blue screen and then, bam, the iPhone rebooted. I've used iPhoto several other times without issue.

Mark
post #5 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

It's happened to me a single time while using iPhoto on the 5S. Sudden solid blue screen and then, bam, the iPhone rebooted. I've used iPhoto several other times without issue.

Mark

On iPhoto launch, or were you interacting with iPhoto when it happened? Thanks

post #6 of 76
That's all the more reason I dodged a bullet in keeping my iPhone 5 locked on iOS 6. And no, I don't dare update my apps. They work. It's going to be this way until iOS 7 beta testing is finished, hopefully by next year.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #7 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That's all the more reason I dodged a bullet in keeping my iPhone 5 locked on iOS 6. And no, I don't dare update my apps. They work. It's going to be this way until iOS 7 beta testing is finished, hopefully by next year.
Do we know for sure this is an ios 7 problem and not a 5S problem? I'm running iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 and haven't come cross this issue at all.
post #8 of 76
It's a 5s issue.

Even with the iOS 7 betas I've been running on my iPhone 5 since it dropped in June, I've experienced crashes here and there, but *never* a blue-screen crash. Never. Not even once. And I don't experience them now, nor do I experience any crashes. I highly doubt it's an iOS issue. It seems to be iOS in relation to the iPhone 5s.

Additionally, Apple will likely fix this very soon. Because unlike BSODs on *other* platforms, this one's actually fixable, and by a company that actually cares about doing it.
post #9 of 76

It crashes on iPhoto and Pages for me, but I don't really use them very much...they are now free, which was a nice surprise, thanks Apple! I am having issues with it hanging.  Once I have not been able to answer a call...swipe, swipe, swipe and nothing.  Had to reboot the phone.  A few times my 5s has said 'No SIM' and I had to reboot....that is a bigger concern for me.

Even with these annoyances I really really like the 5s.  I find myself holding my thumb on the home button on my iPad mini and waiting for it to unlock...;)

post #10 of 76
I've had one random reboot on my 5s, but no blue screen. Happened just today, while exiting Settings.
post #11 of 76
I've got a 5s and it's happened twice while using Facebook. I don't have iWork loaded. It's nasty!
post #12 of 76
Quote:

I've used iOS7 on multiple devices since the first beta, it is fine, don't be a pussy. 1wink.gif
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #13 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclymoa View Post

I've got a 5s and it's happened twice while using Facebook. I don't have iWork loaded. It's nasty!

If course it did, I believe you, really i do, all your posts seem to back up that you are a genuine ... Oh wait a minute .... 1oyvey.gif
post #14 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

If course it did, I believe you, really i do, all your posts seem to back up that you are a genuine ... Oh wait a minute .... 1oyvey.gif

Huh? Am I missing something here? They just joined today and it's their first comment.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #15 of 76
You know, I have had no problems at all. I don't know, but like anything else it is always about proper preparation. Making sure all updates are completed etc.
post #16 of 76

Thanks for a great column - these are precisely the symptoms I've been observing.

post #17 of 76
A clue that this is iPhone 5s related,
The only device with A7 chip...

Using iPod touch 5 iOS7 (A5 chip)
Have not experienced these issues.
post #18 of 76
I picked up my 5s on day one and never had any issues with crashes. There was the odd app that was not compliant with iiOS 7 but that is to be expected.

I read about the blue screen issue today and can confirm iit exists. I ran Pages loading up a document and then switching back to the Documents tab (upper left corner), then double clicked home button and the blue screen and reset occurred. I tested this twice.

I have the same document on my iPad 3 upgraded to iOS 7 and followed the same steps and could not get the blue screen and reset to occur.
post #19 of 76

This look like a problem on the 5s only. I hope Apple fix this fast, as I do not think it happens on other IOS devices. I wonder if it might have something to do with the 64 bit processor on the Apple iPhone 5s?

post #20 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's a 5s issue.

Even with the iOS 7 betas I've been running on my iPhone 5 since it dropped in June, I've experienced crashes here and there, but *never* a blue-screen crash. Never. Not even once. And I don't experience them now, nor do I experience any crashes. I highly doubt it's an iOS issue. It seems to be iOS in relation to the iPhone 5s.

I'm sure it's an iOS issue. Remember that it's running in 64-bit on 5s, and have the iWork apps even been updated lately?

JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #21 of 76
Quote:

I've used iOS7 on multiple devices since the first beta, it is fine, don't be a pussy. 1wink.gif
You should also upgrade your CRT television and throw out your cassette player, and maybe get an online bank account.
post #22 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaba View Post

You should also upgrade your CRT television and throw out your cassette player, and maybe get an online bank account.

Sorry not meant for you digitalclips.
post #23 of 76
I never had this problem on my iPhone 5 with iOS 7, but get it on random occasions on my 5S, usually when switching apps, sometimes when swiping them to death.

I also find the FB App occasionally bombs after slowing down and becoming unresponsive and it can be hit and miss answering calls by swiping. Again, not iPhone 5 issues, only 5S.
post #24 of 76
I had this issue. Called apple and they were kind enough to offer a replacement. Problem is my replacement just crashed again today. I rarely use iWork, and the crashes seem random (I was using spotify the last time it happened) it seems like a hardware issue.
post #25 of 76
Quote:

Wow! Just coz I join today and add to this post doesn't mean I'm a newbie!
I'm a huge apple fan, but, in this case, unless you are trying to tell me the blue screens were my imagination, you should open your mind and see what others experience.
post #26 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

I haven't seen a BSOD in aeons.  Thanks for the memories, Apple.

Same here - seems like Cook is really able to emulate Ballmer now.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
post #27 of 76
Quote:

This is not a beta software issue. When an OS is installed on millions upon millions of phones, it simply isn't beta, regardless of what anyone says. Having said that, fully tested software and hardware can still have issues. Good for you that you are a conservative luddite but referring to iOS7 as beta is to make an ignorant statement.

post #28 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's a 5s issue.

Additionally, Apple will likely fix this very soon. Because unlike BSODs on *other* platforms, this one's actually fixable, and by a company that actually cares about doing it.

Cripes, every second post of yours sounds like a statement from the Apple PR department. Relax, your shares are fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL View Post

I'm sure it's an iOS issue. Remember that it's running in 64-bit on 5s, and have the iWork apps even been updated lately?

How can either of you say it is just a iPhone5s issue or just an iOS issue?  The two go hand in hand and neither is unflawed.

Edited by stelligent - 10/12/13 at 7:24am
post #29 of 76
I experienced this issue two days ago and I took my phone into a genuis bar appointment. He ran diagnostics and his exact words were "wow you've got a lot of software issues" he offered to reset and restore my phone I asked for a replacement. Seeing as to how I've just purchased this phone and there are no refurbs on the market yet, I'll take a new phone.. So far no BSOD yet I'm not sure it'll stay that way...
post #30 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNupe View Post

I experienced this issue two days ago and I took my phone into a genuis bar appointment. He ran diagnostics and his exact words were "wow you've got a lot of software issues" he offered to reset and restore my phone I asked for a replacement. Seeing as to how I've just purchased this phone and there are no refurbs on the market yet, I'll take a new phone.. So far no BSOD yet I'm not sure it'll stay that way...

This sounds dubious. I don't know what kind of diagnostic would yield the assessment of "a lot of software issues", which is utterly meaningless. Also, "a lot of software issues" don't go away with a phone replacement.

You're making this up.
post #31 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclymoa View Post

Wow! Just coz I join today and add to this post doesn't mean I'm a newbie!
I'm a huge apple fan, but, in this case, unless you are trying to tell me the blue screens were my imagination, you should open your mind and see what others experience.

Par for the course here. A lot of vitriol for anyone who dares to show Apple is not always perfect. There are some genuinely good posters on this forum, you'll just have to filter out the crud.

Welcome, by the way.

post #32 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

This sounds dubious. I don't know what kind of diagnostic would yield the assessment of "a lot of software issues", which is utterly meaningless. Also, "a lot of software issues" don't go away with a phone replacement.

You're making this up.

I would imagine "software issues" is referring to a diagnostic showing a lot of app crashes or springboard crashes. The diagnostic they run shows this.
post #33 of 76
Quote:

Have fun in the past.

I'm running iOS 7 on a 5S and, other than a few random "reboots" (Apple icon appears on black screen for 5-10 seconds, and then everything goes back to normal), I have no issues. And the benefits over iOS 6 (I can't imagine ever going back) are tremendous.
post #34 of 76
So, no one ever asks the inevitable first couple of questions, e.g., is your iOS device jail-broken, have any cheapo unapproved apps on board?

Cripes, I just went through this with a friend who couldn't get his chainsaw to run properly while my identical saw a year or so older, same level of maintenance, ran fine. He was using the cheapest crap gas he could find while I bought a good grade from a station run by the Chevron distributor - and which sold to most contractors in the area.

I gave him half a can of my gas and he ended up running just fine after a little while of using better quality fuel.
post #35 of 76

I too have had the blue screen symptoms on my 5s, just once (I was using Snapseed and it happened when I hit the Home button to exit). XCode confirms that it was a kernel panic.

I think it's obvious that iOS 7 64-bit is less mature than 32-bit: the 32-bit version got lots of beta testing with Apple's developers, the 64-bit version was only tested in-house by Apple (and by a tiny number of trusted developers) since Apple wanted to keep secret the move to 64-bit. So 5s users are at the technological leading edge where things are always a little less stable.

Personally, I'm not concerned: Apple will (IMHO) be all over this because the reputation of its new flagship iPhone is involved. I expect an iOS 7 update soon that, whether or not it is acknowledged, corrects a bundle of 64-bit issues. It's just like buying a new Mac model - the day you get it you have to update the OS and a month later you get a firmware update, then it all settles down and just works  ;-)

OS X and iOS user

OS X and iOS user

post #36 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Do we know for sure this is an ios 7 problem and not a 5S problem? I'm running iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 and haven't come cross this issue at all.

What is it that lawyers like to say? "The situation is evolving rapidly and we will withhold making a statements until the facts are all in"? 1wink.gif

I wish I could say with more certainty that it was just a 5s problem. So far, that is what it appear to be.

Even if my 5 won't BSOD, every major iOS version since 2008 had bugs, and Apple has always fixed them. The worse for my user experience was a keyboard bug which would cause a key to repeat infinitely while entering text. Also iOS 5.0 wouldn't pair with the particular Bluetooth headset that I owned, but this was eventually fixed in a point release. So, yes, I will upgrade to 7, just when it has a few higher numbers after the decimal point. 1cool.gif

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #37 of 76
Quote:

I got no problem being a pussy.
I don't want to be a guinea pig. 1biggrin.gif

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #38 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Have fun in the past.

I'm running iOS 7 on a 5S and, other than a few random "reboots" (Apple icon appears on black screen for 5-10 seconds, and then everything goes back to normal), I have no issues. And the benefits over iOS 6 (I can't imagine ever going back) are tremendous.

No issues, but random reboots? What--did you train yourself to ignore random reboots by using a Motorola Droid? (GOOGLE SLAM BABY! HIGH FIVE!)

Oh I am having fun in the past. It's a blast!

Let's see, iOS 6 works, it's stable and smooth on my iPhone 5, I can read the fonts, the screen has higher contrast, no beta testing of broken apps, no kernel panics. It just works. Yup. Fun in the past, circa early 2013. I'm just waiting for you guys to finish beta testing iOS 7. Thank you, and keep up the good work.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #39 of 76
Quote:

No issues, but random reboots? What--did you train yourself to ignore random reboots by using a Motorola Droid? (GOOGLE SLAM BABY! HIGH FIVE!)

Oh I am having fun in the past. It's a blast!

Let's see, iOS 6 works, it's stable and smooth on my iPhone 5, I can read the fonts, the screen has higher contrast, no beta testing of broken apps, no kernel panics. It just works. Yup. Fun in the past, circa early 2013. I'm just waiting for you guys to finish beta testing iOS 7. Thank you, and keep up the good work.

Same here - so far, iOS 7 has been a total train wreck to most people - and you can't even roll back to 6 if you wanted to.

post #40 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Same here - so far, iOS 7 has been a total train wreck to most people - and you can't even roll back to 6 if you wanted to.

Train wreck? Most people I've spoken to about it (IRL, not just online) have said give it a week and it becomes normal. A few complain about the aesthetic choices, but nothing one can't live with. The biggest on-going concern seems to be the wispy thin fonts at smaller sizes when seen against a brightly colored background. Darker backgrounds seem to help.

All I didn't want to do was go from a solid user experience to one that was flaky around the edges until Apple ironed out the bugs. I would like to go from solid to solid, and the reality of all major OS releases (even the ones without the UI overhaul) have been that the new major releases are flakier than whatever version came before, but things get ironed out by the time version x.1.0 ships.

I expected to be called names for expressing my opinion, but that's OK. It's part of the forum experience. There are lots of people who wanted to beta test iOS 7. People paid $99 just for the privilege of doing it back in June. Insane! I hope none of them had an iPhone 4S because they could have waited until September and spent their $99 to beta test iOS 7 on a brand new iPhone 5c. :D

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Some iPhone 5s owners reporting 'Blue Screen of Death' with iWork apps