or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Some iPhone 5s owners reporting 'Blue Screen of Death' with iWork apps

Some iPhone 5s owners reporting 'Blue Screen of Death' with iWork apps - Page 2

post #41 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Same here - so far, iOS 7 has been a total train wreck to most people - and you can't even roll back to 6 if you wanted to.

Elaborate more on iOS7 being a "total train wreck to most people" please.  What is "most people"??  Just the one or two people you know, or some published grand mass of people?

In my immediate circle, I know probably 70 people that upgraded to iOS7 on the iP4x and iP5's and not one single problem.  What does that say?  As far as I can perceive, iOS7 has been a great success.  Some things can be ironed-out as I'm sure they will, but for you to make a blanket-statement like that is ignorant at best.

post #42 of 76
They had to pick blue? This is going to be a disaster. It was just on the news.
post #43 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I know right? They talk about iOS 7 being tightly integrated with the hardware? I would have expected the death screen color to match the iPhone case. Anything less is un-Apple-like.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #44 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

There is a difference between a blue screen, and a blue screen of death. OS X has had a blue screen for years. You sometimes see it when first rebooting after an OS update, but usually only briefly. This iOS blue screen appears to be a minor crash of some sort but it recovers quickly, unlike the infamous BSOD on Windows which in many instances is unrecoverable without reinstalling the OS. Big difference. This issue on iOS is far less problematic than the Windows variant but being eagerly published by the sensationalist press as yet another misstep by Apple.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #45 of 76

welcome to iOS Vista... Steve Jobs gave the job to Forstall - now we know why he never let Ive and company near it. 

post #46 of 76
Originally Posted by agramonte View Post
welcome to iOS Vista... Steve Jobs gave the job to Forstall - now we know why he never let Ive and company near it. 

If you get anywhere near a coherent thought, hop on.

post #47 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eideard View Post

So, no one ever asks the inevitable first couple of questions, e.g., is your iOS device jail-broken, have any cheapo unapproved apps on board?

Uh, this happens on iPhone 5s' running iOS7. iOS7 hasn't even been jailbroken yet -- let alone for the iPhone 5s, so that should answer your question.

post #48 of 76
It's not fair, my one doesn't do it no matter how hard I try.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #49 of 76
Quote:

You're missing the important point of iOS7 - the screen colors match the plastic on the 5c.
post #50 of 76
Quote:

And Tim Cook gave it to Federighi. Ive just works in the design department. Kernel panics are Federighi's department.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #51 of 76

Why didn't all this come up in devs Beta??

post #52 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Elaborate more on iOS7 being a "total train wreck to most people" please.  What is "most people"??  Just the one or two people you know, or some published grand mass of people?

In my immediate circle, I know probably 70 people that upgraded to iOS7 on the iP4x and iP5's and not one single problem.  What does that say?  As far as I can perceive, iOS7 has been a great success.  Some things can be ironed-out as I'm sure they will, but for you to make a blanket-statement like that is ignorant at best.

I know at least 10 people who have upgraded as well, and pretty much none of them feel genuinely happy with 7 one way or another...the main difference here is that we are no longer talking about bugs; it's about an overall dissatisfaction with the OS experience as a whole.

Thin fonts, too bright, terrible calendar app, flawed iPad version, lower battery life, slowness, UI lags, crashes all over the place, bad UI color choices etc. Never before have we seen such a flawed paradigm dismantlement at Apple - not even with OS X, which was a much more ambitious change for all, yet perfectly right in the medium term.

And to top the issues above:

- you HAVE to use the horrid iTunes 11;
- absolutely no possibility to roll back to 6.

NONE of the above are objectively or technically justified.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.10.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.10.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.

post #53 of 76
Quote:

I know at least 10 people who have upgraded as well, and pretty much none of them feel genuinely happy with 7 one way or another...the main difference here is that we are no longer talking about bugs; it's about an overall dissatisfaction with the OS experience as a whole.

Thin fonts, too bright, terrible calendar app, flawed iPad version, lower battery life, slowness, UI lags, crashes all over the place, bad UI color choices etc. Never before have we seen such a flawed paradigm dismantlement at Apple - not even with OS X, which was a much more ambitious change for all, yet perfectly right in the medium term.

thats 9 problems without the etc.

Which means each and every person you know who upgraded to iOS 7 has a problem.

I call BS on that.

I call BS on crashes all over the place too.

well you also put slowness and UI lags as 2 different points but it can be solved by reseting the phone.

The calendar app is the same with different colors lmfao.

You have a bold fonts option.

scratch that.

The entire comment is BS

post #54 of 76
I know at least 10 people who have upgraded as well, and pretty much none of them feel genuinely happy with 7 one way or another...

I know even more. And all of them feel happy with it. Your anecdotes are either worthless or as valid as everyone else’s.

Get over it.

Which wasn’t possible for any other OS anyway, so quit whining.

Thanks for that; is this your objective and technical assessment? You need to try again.

post #55 of 76
Quote:

The UI crashes will certainly make DELTA's purchase of SURFACE tablets look smart.   Enterprise expectations of software and hardware is higher.  I guess we should take back all the jokes about the Surface crashing on Delta Pilots.

post #56 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post

Why didn't all this come up in devs Beta??

Because there was no 64 bit Dev beta of the OS or 64 bit hardware to run it on. And no 64 bit beta iWork apps either.

This is at most a temporary inconvenience which will be sorted out by next update.

post #57 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Because there was no 64 bit Dev beta of the OS or 64 bit hardware to run it on. And no 64 bit beta iWork apps either.

This is a valid excuse for third party APPS, but not APPLE when it controls the hardware iOS and the iWork apps.   They should have internally  tested the hell out of this.  Sure it will be fixed soon but they can't blame Forestal again.     Maybe they should not have done both a big hardware and software upgrade at the same time.

post #58 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2kW View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

This is a valid excuse for third party APPS, but not APPLE when it controls the hardware iOS and the iWork apps.   They should have internally  tested the hell out of this.  Sure it will be fixed soon but they can't blame Forestal again.     Maybe they should not have done both a big hardware and software upgrade at the same time.

I was simply replying to a poster who asked why the devs did not discover the problem. Situations like this are the nature of the industry. Because the 64 bit hardware and software require each other to be compatible, they can't release one without the other. We still don't know what the actual cause of the issue is so it is impossible to speculate about what Apple did or should have done.

Edited by mstone - 10/13/13 at 1:09pm

post #59 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I know right? They talk about iOS 7 being tightly integrated with the hardware? I would have expected the death screen color to match the iPhone case. Anything less is un-Apple-like.

Well the Windows version had all that ugly white text that could give a clue as to the cause of the crash.  At least Apple's version is much more aesthetic.

post #60 of 76
Remove and reinstall app.
post #61 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaba View Post

You should also upgrade your CRT television and throw out your cassette player, and maybe get an online bank account.

that was aimed at me?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #62 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Huh? Am I missing something here? They just joined today and it's their first comment.

I think you missed the ... 'Oh wait a minute' which is a long hand way of saying /s
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #63 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I got no problem being a pussy.
I don't want to be a guinea pig. 1biggrin.gif

Gotchya! 1cool.gif
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #64 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclymoa View Post

Wow! Just coz I join today and add to this post doesn't mean I'm a newbie!
I'm a huge apple fan, but, in this case, unless you are trying to tell me the blue screens were my imagination, you should open your mind and see what others experience.

I have been running iOS7 on multiple devices since the first Beta, zero problems and that includes on older iPhones and iPads. I suspect your installation may have gone wrong. Simply assuming there 'is a problem' because 'you have one' is the stuff of legend and unfortunately trolls, sorry if I took you for one, and as you say you are not, I believe you. Try backing up, wiping the device and installing from scratch.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #65 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Try backing up, wiping the device and installing from scratch.

Exactly what I've seen recommended many times.

If it fails, take it to a Genius Bar and have them look at it, but I would always do a backup and restore before taking it in the Geniuses.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #66 of 76
Quote:

This is just a grab bag of negativity spewing in every direction.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #67 of 76

You only get the BSOD when you hold it wrong.

post #68 of 76
As suggested by the AppleCare agent, I restored the iPhone 5s as new phone then installed one app from the App Store, Pages, to see if it will fix the bsod. It didn't. It still crashes.
post #69 of 76
Mi
Quote:
Originally Posted by solitaryan View Post

As suggested by the AppleCare agent, I restored the iPhone 5s as new phone then installed one app from the App Store, Pages, to see if it will fix the bsod. It didn't. It still crashes.

My 5s has never crashed, I tried cutting and pasting big slabs of text between numbers, pages and keynote, closing them, opening them, double tapping and flicking them away, opening, pasting, locking the phone, unlocking the phone, iCloud is on but no sign of blue screens, no signs of shutting down, all works exactly as it should.

I must just be lucky.
post #70 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Mi
My 5s has never crashed, I tried cutting and pasting big slabs of text between numbers, pages and keynote, closing them, opening them, double tapping and flicking them away, opening, pasting, locking the phone, unlocking the phone, iCloud is on but no sign of blue screens, no signs of shutting down, all works exactly as it should.

I must just be lucky.

It happens to 2% of the people.

post #71 of 76
Playing Real Racing 3, I got the blue screen of death while purchasing "free" gold (watch a 2 minute video, receive a gold coin). After watching the video, I exited back to Real Racing 3 and the blue screen came up. Then the 5S rebooted. Hopefully there will be an update that solves the issue.
post #72 of 76
Dude I don't make up anything! He said the phone had "a lot of software issues" to which he offered to do a full restore at that time I demanded a new phone!
post #73 of 76
For those crying about ios 7 can I suggest building a bridge to get over it?
post #74 of 76
Well, it looks like Apple have ticked off yet another Enterprise Feature - have random BSODs appear in order to get System Administrators to consider the software useful!

As for iOS 7, I have had random reboots as well. Hopefully, the Diagnostics and Usage data my phone sends automatically will help Apple resolve the issue.
post #75 of 76
I had this issue, my replacement 5s worked well for a few days. Now it's crashing again. Is this a software issue? If it is I'm willing to wait for 7.1. If not, it's starting to frustrate me
post #76 of 76
Its both a 5s and ios 7 problem. It doesnt happen on iphone 5 because iphone 5 is a 32 bit and 5s is 64 bit which some 3rd party apps are for 32 bit iphones
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Some iPhone 5s owners reporting 'Blue Screen of Death' with iWork apps