or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 5s takes 64% of Apple's smartphone sales, 5c with 27%, survey finds
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 5s takes 64% of Apple's smartphone sales, 5c with 27%, survey finds

post #1 of 120
Thread Starter 
The newly released iPhone 5s is outselling its 2013 counterpart, the iPhone 5c, by a factor of more than two to one, though the iPhone 5c has carved out a respectable share of overall sales, according to new data.

iPhone 5s


Consumer Intelligence Research Partners polled customers on sales of both the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c in late September, after both devices went on sale. According to their latest figures provided to AllThingsD, 64 percent of iPhone buyers who bought in late September opted for the new flagship iPhone 5s.

The iPhone 5c, which was release the same day is is the company's new mid-tier handset, accounted for 27 percent of sales during that time period, according to CIRP. The legacy iPhone 4S, a handset first released in 2011 and now available free on contract, represented the remaining 9 percent of sales.

The new data also suggests that the iPhone 5c is not carving out a larger share of overall iPhone sales than the iPhone 4S managed last year, when it was the company's $100-on-contract handset.

With the iPhone 5c taking 27 percent this year, it's just slightly ahead of the 23 percent share the iPhone 4S captured during the same period in 2012, just after the launch of the iPhone 5.

iPhone


This marks the first year that Apple has launched two new iPhone models at the same time. While the iPhone 5s represents the company's latest premium device, with a new Touch ID fingerprint sensor and faster A7 chip, the iPhone 5c has been advertised as the company's mainstream handset, featuring a plastic chassis available in a range of colors.

Market watchers have been particularly interested in how the iPhone 5c will perform in Apple's smartphone lineup. Investors hope that the new mid-range model will allow Apple to grow its smartphone marketshare by appealing to new customers that wouldn't have otherwise purchased an iPhone.

But if sales of the iPhone 5c are too low, it could be a sign that the smartphone market is largely saturated. And, conversely, if the iPhone 5c were to prove exceptionally popular, it could eat in to sales of the flagship iPhone 5s and potentially hurt Apple's margins.

While Wall Street looks on with great interest ahead of Apple's upcoming quarterly earnings report, the company is unlikely to delve into specifics regarding sales of individual iPhone models. Apple has a policy of not breaking down sales of devices by specific models, citing competitive reasons.

Total sales of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c on their launch weekend in late September were 9 million units. About a week remained in the September quarter following that launch. The company will report its earnings from that quarter on Oct. 28.
post #2 of 120
So basically what this survet says is early adopters are buying the flagship device. Wow color me shocked.
post #3 of 120
They only sold 3 million iPhone 5s in one weekend? More than any other non-iPhone ever has in the same amount of time? What a collossal failure!

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #4 of 120
"With the iPhone 5c taking 27 percent this year, it's just slightly ahead of the 23 percent share the iPhone 4S captured during the same period in 2012, just after the launch of the iPhone 5."

Comparing just the 4s to the 5c sales gives an increase of 17,4 %.
I don't think that that is a bad increase. I think that the increase will be even more noticeable in the next couple of months.
Also that extra 4% comes mostly from the "free" iPhone share, not the 5s.
post #5 of 120

but, but, but no one wants to buy the 5C.

 

/s

 

how much more evidence do we need to show the 5C was a great move?

post #6 of 120
I was wrong, both the 4 and 4s accounted for 9% on the same period of time.
And yes, this shows the potential of the 5c.
post #7 of 120

To the anal-ysts:

 

1. You were proven many times (almost every time actually) you do not understand supply chain as TC suggested sometime ago, so it is impossible for you to understand and know the sales all together not to mention breakdown by model.

 

2. Who told you 5C is meant as mainstream iPhone model? I just read it's "For colorful", and 5S for "Forward thinking"....

 

3. Have you planned how much shares are there to steal from small investors with this "news" and "data"? 

post #8 of 120

"But if sales of the iPhone 5c are too low, it could be a sign that the smartphone market is largely saturated. And, conversely, if the iPhone 5c were to prove exceptionally popular, it could eat in to sales of the flagship iPhone 5s and potentially hurt Apple's margins."

 

So, bottom line, if the 5c sells well that's bad. If the 5c doesn't sell well that's bad. Either way Apple is doomed. I think we get the picture.

 

And what spin will the tech media put on this? We know the answer to that too. Today the 5c will be officially declared an epic fail and, you guessed it, Apple is doomed.

 

But Samsung puts out turd after turd throwing everything it can at the wall and nobody cares. Well, that is comforting in a way I guess.

post #9 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

but, but, but no one wants to buy the 5C.

/s

how much more evidence do we need to show the 5C was a great move?

"The new data also suggests that the iPhone 5c is not carving out a larger share of overall iPhone sales than the iPhone 4S managed last year, when it was the company's $100-on-contract handset."

There hasn't been much evidence yet that the 5c was a "great move" unless I've missed a lot.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #10 of 120
Text Error in report- switch 5s with 5c in fifth paragraph.
post #11 of 120
Example of how bad blog writers have gotten.

"The new data also suggests that the iPhone 5c is not carving out a larger share of overall iPhone sales than the iPhone 4S managed last year, when it was the company's $100-on-contract handset.

With the iPhone 5c taking 27 percent this year, it's just slightly ahead of the 23 percent share the iPhone 4S captured during the same period in 2012, just after the launch of the iPhone 5."

Ok, in the first paragraph, you say the 5c is NOT carving out a larger share..

The in the very next paragraph, you say, based on numbers, it's nabbed an extra 4% and HAS carved out a larger share.. Either you're intentionally trying to put a bad spin on this or incompetent.. I say both.. heh
post #12 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


"The new data also suggests that the iPhone 5c is not carving out a larger share of overall iPhone sales than the iPhone 4S managed last year, when it was the company's $100-on-contract handset."

There hasn't been much evidence yet that the 5c was a "great move" unless I've missed a lot.

 

You missed a lot.  Look at the numbers.

 

First off the 5S is selling more than the 5.  I'll be conservative and say the 5S is selling 15% more units.

 

The 4S was 23%, the 5C is 27%.  That is a 17% increase just in unit share alone.  Now add in the increased number of 5S units sold and we are looking at a 20%+ increase in sales.

 

From the numbers it looks like the 5C is outselling the 4S in units by 20%-25% while producing better margins.

post #13 of 120
So that's 2.8 million 5Cs and 6.2 million 5Ss (assuming 9 mil 5C 5S). Versus 4 million Galaxy 4Ss in it's first weekend. Sounds like a bit of trouncing to me, esp since the Galaxy data look cooked when the total first month shipment was 10 million (dishonesty, who'd have think it!?). The 5C is doing its job = the iP 5 refreshed.
post #14 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

You missed a lot.  Look at the numbers.

First off the 5S is selling more than the 5.  I'll be conservative and say the 5S is selling 15% more units.

The 4S was 23%, the 5C is 27%.  That is a 17% increase just in unit share alone.  Now add in the increased number of 5S units sold and we are looking at a 20%+ increase in sales.

From the numbers it looks like the 5C is outselling the 4S in units by 20%-25% while producing better margins.

So then you're basing your "how much more evidence do we need" on this single report, even tho you've dismissed other reports that are painting the 5c sales in a lesser light. Why are you considering this particular one so reliable? The 5c could be a "great move" but I'd think you'd expect a bit more in the way of evidence before arriving at that as a factual conclusion.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #15 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


"The new data also suggests that the iPhone 5c is not carving out a larger share of overall iPhone sales than the iPhone 4S managed last year, when it was the company's $100-on-contract handset."

There hasn't been much evidence yet that the 5c was a "great move" unless I've missed a lot.

 

 

Yes, but the article makes little sense because then it goes on to say the iPhone 5c is carving out 27% opposed to last years 23% for the 4S. If true, that is a 4% increase. 

 

More importantly, where was the survey conducted? My understanding was the iPhone 5c was intended to really appeal overseas. 

 

Further, the iPhone 5C also allows Apple to turn out more 5Ss by freeing up machinery used to manufacture the 5Ss that would also have to be used to make the iPhone 5. With higher margins, the iPhone 5c seems like a pretty good move to me, but time will tell. I doubt early adopters are rushing out to get the 5C, and doubt Apple would expect as much. 

post #16 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Yes, but the article makes little sense because then it goes on to say the iPhone 5c is carving out 27% opposed to last years 23% for the 4S. If true, that is a 4% increase.

Except that the 5C is only 1 of 2 new iPhones released this year, so the 4% figure isn't accurate because last year 1) the 4S was a year old and 2) the 5 was the only phone released. When not even looking at the ratio on how the 5C compares to the 5S the 4% figure could be double.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
post #17 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkzombie View Post

"With the iPhone 5c taking 27 percent this year, it's just slightly ahead of the 23 percent share the iPhone 4S captured during the same period in 2012, just after the launch of the iPhone 5."

Comparing just the 4s to the 5c sales gives an increase of 17,4 %.
I don't think that that is a bad increase. I think that the increase will be even more noticeable in the next couple of months.
Also that extra 4% comes mostly from the "free" iPhone share, not the 5s.

 

The comparison is not valid. We don't know if 5s sold better than 5 last year or vice versa. All we can say is that the ratio improve. I would venture to guess that 5s sell better than 5 last year so the unit improvement of 5c vs 4s is going to be better than 17.4%.  But that is a guess not a certainty. 

post #18 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


"The new data also suggests that the iPhone 5c is not carving out a larger share of overall iPhone sales than the iPhone 4S managed last year, when it was the company's $100-on-contract handset."

There hasn't been much evidence yet that the 5c was a "great move" unless I've missed a lot.
 
I agree. The figures 4% more share the iPhone 4S did last year, are (1) modest (2) need to be set against the background of a plentiful supply of the 5C with limited supply of the 5S; preorders taken for the 5C, not for the 5S. Against that background the split looks low for the 5C.
 
Still, it's good for the 5S.
post #19 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


So then you're basing your "how much more evidence do we need" on this single report, even tho you've dismissed other reports that are painting the 5c sales in a lesser light. Why are you considering this particular one so reliable? The 5c could be a "great move" but I'd think you'd expect a bit more in the way of evidence before arriving at that as a factual conclusion.

 

This adds to the evidence that the 5C was the #2 or #3 phone sold at all the major US carriers, even though it was out for only 10 days in Sept.  It will probably be a solid #2 for Oct-Dec. 

 

I'm sorry but i tend to give Apple the benefit of the doubt unlike the media and trolls on this site because of their past history.  How many times have they released a loser product in the last 5 years?

 

3GS

4

4S

5

iPad1

iPad2

iPad3

iPad4

iPadMini

MacbookAir

MacbookPro

 

add the 5S and 5C to that list

post #20 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzos View Post

So that's 2.8 million 5Cs and 6.2 million 5Ss (assuming 9 mil 5C 5S). Versus 4 million Galaxy 4Ss in it's first weekend. Sounds like a bit of trouncing to me, esp since the Galaxy data look cooked when the total first month shipment was 10 million (dishonesty, who'd have think it!?). The 5C is doing its job = the iP 5 refreshed.

not exactly. The 9 million initial week number include sale through to customers and inventory build (mostly 5c inventory build since 5s has been sold out everywhere). The 64% 5s and 27% 5c number are sale through ratio.  And there is no discussion about where the survey is taken. So it is likely to be just a local preference (e.g. US) and we cannot extrapolate this number to world wide number. Do we  know if China or Japan has the same break down between 5s and 5c sales? (I don't think so)..

post #21 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post


Yes, but the article makes little sense because then it goes on to say the iPhone 5c is carving out 27% opposed to last years 23% for the 4S. If true, that is a 4% increase. 

More importantly, where was the survey conducted? My understanding was the iPhone 5c was intended to really appeal overseas. 

Further, the iPhone 5C also allows Apple to turn out more 5Ss by freeing up machinery used to manufacture the 5Ss that would also have to be used to make the iPhone 5. With higher margins, the iPhone 5c seems like a pretty good move to me, but time will tell. I doubt early adopters are rushing out to get the 5C, and doubt Apple would expect as much. 

IF the numbers are fairly accurate (big IF IMO) it would only be a 4% increase despite a whole lotta Apple advertising and promotion of the 5c. I'd think you'd be more likely to see that as a disappointing increase considering the efforts in promoting it.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #22 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I'm sorry but i tend to give Apple the benefit of the doubt unlike the media and trolls on this site because of their past history.  How many times have they released a loser product in the last 5 years?

Fair enough. You don't require much evidence then, with past history being a reliable enough prognosticator. You're correct that Apple has been pretty successful with most other products
Edited by Gatorguy - 10/14/13 at 6:44am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #23 of 120

The real WIN with the 5C is capturing the youth market.  These phones will be the HOTTEST Christmas gift for age 10-18.  And once you get sucked into the Apple Eco-system you stay 90% of the time.

 

It's really cool to have a different phone than your parents (5S or 5 VS 5C) and the colors add to the differentiation.

An additional benefit is when the 6 comes out next year.  The 5C will be free, 6C $99 and 6 at $199. Those are powerful price points and the plastic body will allow margin safety to lower prices even more in emerging markets.

post #24 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


IF the numbers are fairly accurate (big IF IMO) it would only be a 4% increase despite a whole lotta Apple advertising and promotion of the 5c. I'd think you'd be more likely to see that as a disappointing increase considering the efforts in promoting it.

 

for the last time its NOT a 4% increase.

Its a 17% increase. 

post #25 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by xofruitcake View Post

The comparison is not valid. We don't know if 5s sold better than 5 last year or vice versa. All we can say is that the ratio improve. I would venture to guess that 5s sell better than 5 last year so the unit improvement of 5c vs 4s is going to be better than 17.4%.  But that is a guess not a certainty. 

I agree with you on that, we don't know how much the 64% and 27% actually are.

I still think that the difference in ratio is significant.
post #26 of 120
Quote: "But if sales of the iPhone 5c are too low, it could be a sign that the smartphone market is largely saturated."

It could also be an indication that the 5c is simply overpriced, particularly since its primary competitor is a used iPhone 5, perhaps picked up from a friend who's upgraded to a 5s. And that iPhone 5, if it has been treated well, will look much better.
post #27 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

for the last time its NOT a 4% increase.
Its a 17% increase. 

I was replying to TBell's assumed numbers.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #28 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With the iPhone 5c taking 27 percent this year, it's just slightly ahead of the 23 percent share the iPhone 4S captured during the same period in 2012, just after the launch of the iPhone 5.

In other words they could have stuck to their old strategy of demoting the previous flagship one level, and would have sold almost the same (27% vs 23%)?

post #29 of 120

This is exactly what the 5c should be doing. How would a regular 5 have sold? A 5 with a more expensive case? How much would it have cannibalized sales of the 5s? I think the 5c strategy worked out perfectly, no cannibalization and higher margins from those who did buy it.


Edited by Ingela - 10/14/13 at 7:10am
post #30 of 120
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
There hasn't been much evidence yet that the 5c was a "great move" unless I've missed a lot.

 

You missed the numbers.

 

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
So then you're basing your "how much more evidence do we need" on this single report, even tho you've dismissed other reports that are painting the 5c sales in a lesser light.

 

Probably because this one has numbers and every single other report has nothing more substantial than “I think so”.

 

Originally Posted by Ingela View Post
How much would it have cannibalized sales of the 5s?

 

Not at all, given that absolutely no iPhone has done that.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #31 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You missed the numbers.


Probably because this one has numbers and every single other report has nothing more substantial than “I think so”.


Not at all, given that absolutely no iPhone has done that.

Nearly all the AI articles on 5c sales included "numbers" IIRC. Some like this one were simple percentages and not units, while others offered numbers of units and no percentages and I thought one surmised both. I believe there were even some with "price cut" numbers. Could be wrong. Why are these "numbers" more reliable/factual than other "numbers". I guess you're saying a survey from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners should be considered accurate from now on?
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #32 of 120
Let me break this down for simple minds like mine. The 5C is selling way more than the 4S did at this point last year. The 5C is a Very Successful Product.

Did I call it? Yes.

Will analysts try to hide the success d the 5C? Yes.

Will the analysts fairly quickly be proved ridiculously wrong? Yes.
post #33 of 120

to know if the 27% Vs 23% is meaningful, we need to know the margin of error of the data.  Those numbers are close so with a modest margin of error they are statistically a tie. 

post #34 of 120

I think Apple is doing this deliberately and they are playing it smart.

 

In the first month(s) of release, iPhones sell predominantly to existing Apple owners.  I believe the data is showing diminishing percentages of *new* iPhone adopters year to year.  Apple priced the 5c 'higher than expected'  The faithful look at the prices and go "$100 bucks more for a 5s?  I'll take that one."  Had Apple priced the 5c lower there very well could have been more cannibalization.

 

Once the initial rush sales spike is over, I'm betting Apple will lower the pricing on the 5c and allow it to go after more market share without completely throwing margins under the bus.

 

At its current pricing I don't thing 27% is bad at all.

post #35 of 120
They must have surveyed inventory managers since we all know Apple just stuffed the inventory channels. /s
post #36 of 120
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Quote: It could also be an indication that the 5c is simply overpriced, particularly since its primary competitor is a used iPhone 5, perhaps picked up from a friend who's upgraded to a 5s. And that iPhone 5, if it has been treated well, will look much better.

I think this is Apple's strategy. It's actually priced "just right". It's not cannibalizing it's flagship, while providing a less expensive option with great margins. What they will do is lower the price or allow retailers to discount more. Overall this puts huge pressure on Android while not tarnishing the Apple brand.
post #37 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbenaltogeth View Post
 

to know if the 27% Vs 23% is meaningful, we need to know the margin of error of the data.  Those numbers are close so with a modest margin of error they are statistically a tie. 

 

Oh, don't let facts get in the way of a good argument.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #38 of 120

Just to note:

 

This is a U.S.A. survey only.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #39 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

I


I think this is Apple's strategy. It's actually priced "just right". It's not cannibalizing it's flagship, while providing a less expensive option with great margins. What they will do is lower the price or allow retailers to discount more. Overall this puts huge pressure on Android while not tarnishing the Apple brand.


The gap is so big in Europe atleast that it wont give android any problems expanding even further. Actually its the opposite for Apple. Apple is going to have more problems later if they dont sell bigger volumes than earlier.  It is apple that is going to be such a niche soon that any services will work lastly on it (eg. web pages and services etc.). It all now hangs on the ipad. The iphone is a lost cause already (OK, maybe not in the states but elsewhere).

 

There are plenty of services only android now and its so cheap that they can throw in a phone on the side just for kicks. Bought a 7000 Euro geothermal pump. the UI app is only for android. Not even 2 Years later is there an iphone version. Well thats why they gave a 250 Euro android phone on the side for free.

 

Soon there wont be any users below adulthood using iphones... There almost now isnt anymore (here in the Europe). Well Apple is knowingly being samsungs best buddy making a whole industry for Samsung. Apple doesnt want to cater to the most, Samsung can have them.

 

Well its alright,  I get it,  they don't like to make devices only to the richest of us. It is Apples right to chose its customers and its the customers right to chose its vendor.

 

If i where apple i would try to keep the foothold better but as apple is only interested in getting its margins increasing with every iteration then this strategy will have the same consequences to the ipad as the iphone has suffered.You can accelerate only as much with gasfumes.


Edited by habi - 10/14/13 at 8:14am
post #40 of 120
Originally Posted by habi View Post
It is apple that is going to be such a niche soon that any services will work lastly on it (eg. web pages and services etc.). The iPhone is a lost cause already

 

Thanks for the FUD.

 

There are plenty of services only android now…

 

Can you name one?

 

Soon there wont be any users below adulthood using iphones... There almost now isnt anymore (here in the Europe).

 

Utterly ludicrous.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • iPhone 5s takes 64% of Apple's smartphone sales, 5c with 27%, survey finds
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 5s takes 64% of Apple's smartphone sales, 5c with 27%, survey finds