or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 5s takes 64% of Apple's smartphone sales, 5c with 27%, survey finds
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 5s takes 64% of Apple's smartphone sales, 5c with 27%, survey finds - Page 3

post #81 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by daijones View Post

of course, the rise in sales in the opening weekend is partly due to additional markets

 

Not likely true. If a company can only build a certain amount of a product that is in high demand, the amount of markets is irrelevant to how many it can sell. For example, last year Apple sold 5 million in its opening weekend. This was not because it could not sell more, it was because that was all the inventory it had available. If it had another 4 million available last year in its opening weekend, it might have still sold them, without or without China. 

 

The amount of markets Apple makes available is likely determined by the inventory it has to sell. Does anyone believe if Apple took away China away, Apple still would not have sold 9 million? It added China because thanks to the 5C, it had more inventory on hand at launch. 

post #82 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post
 

 

Read about the PowerBook debacle and check back here (a great machine demanded by many but with insufficient supply at least until much later); I am not even talking about the ridiculous Performa/LC/Quadra situation. 

 

Which PowerBook debacle you are talking about? The slow G3, The hinge craking G4 Ti?, the stalled in time G4 Alu? Could you give me a reference please? I don't remember any production problems in the Performa/LC era, in that time Apple has the opposite problems of being unable to sold what they produce.

post #83 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post
 

 

Make it "more expensive" for the 5S and not "cheap enough" for the 5C...is that clear now?

 

 

Not really, but it is not important. Riddle me this: Why did Apple take the unprecedented step of raising its SEC guidance after the first week of iPhone sales? That does not seem like the actions of a company concerned about not selling enough of something. Whatever its expectations were, they became higher after the 5C and 5S went on sale. 

post #84 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress0660 View Post
 

 

Lets not get all upset because someone called you out on something. There's no citation that it didn't confuse customers. 

 

What?

 

Give it a rest. Precedent says that Apple wasn't worried about confusion in the past.

 

Citation. Sheesh. I guess everyone needs a citation now for every possible thing they can say on here.

 

Show me your citation to the contrary. How about precedent.

 

My precedent trumps your hollow citation request.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #85 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post
 

 

 

My apologies. I do not agree consumers would be confused any more than they would have been with the 4 and 4S. I, however, think the 5C is a good move on Apple's part for the other reasons mentioned. Moreover, do not forget display space. If you go to a Verizon or AT&T store, generally speaking, only the latest models get display space. Apple's move likely garner it more display space in stores. 

 

More display space. Hmmmm... good point. Last year and the year before and the year before etc... all I saw was the latest iPhone being advertised. This year I don't see any adverts at all for the 5s but I sure see a lot of brightly colored posters for the 5c.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #86 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

Example of how bad blog writers have gotten.

"The new data also suggests that the iPhone 5c is not carving out a larger share of overall iPhone sales than the iPhone 4S managed last year, when it was the company's $100-on-contract handset.

With the iPhone 5c taking 27 percent this year, it's just slightly ahead of the 23 percent share the iPhone 4S captured during the same period in 2012, just after the launch of the iPhone 5."

Ok, in the first paragraph, you say the 5c is NOT carving out a larger share..

The in the very next paragraph, you say, based on numbers, it's nabbed an extra 4% and HAS carved out a larger share.. Either you're intentionally trying to put a bad spin on this or incompetent.. I say both.. heh

It basically says whatever one wants to believe. 1smile.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #87 of 120

Next year

 

5C - $0

6C - $99 (Plastic case, touch ID, A7)

6 - $199

6L - $249

 

That's a powerful line up right there.  5C pricing may seem odd this year but everything will fall into place in 2014.

post #88 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

IF the numbers are fairly accurate (big IF IMO) it would only be a 4% increase despite a whole lotta Apple advertising and promotion of the 5c. I'd think you'd be more likely to see that as a disappointing increase considering the efforts in promoting it.

Nice spin: numbers go up = big disappointment

How big should the numbers be for you call it a success?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #89 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Nice spin: numbers go up = big disappointment

How big should the numbers be for you call it a success?

Considering all (or nearly all) of Apple's advertising efforts on the 2 new iPhone models have gone to the 5c with promotional support from print ads, POP displays, in-store-promotions, street posters and television ads I would think you might expect a bigger bump wouldn't you?
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #90 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post
 

 

Wrong - it means Apple has failed in its expectations to have the "budget" 5C as its biggest-selling phone; instead, it's gonna be sitting in inventories all over the world because no one could give a crap about it.

 

And some of the geniuses around here were still asking me for "facts" about my negative statements concerning the 5C - early price cuts, less than 1/3 of sales even though the flagship model is way more expensive...this means weak demand and nothing else. 

 

In fact, this reminds of Apple's dark years when it completely miscalculated demand for the PowerBook, not being able to fulfil orders as it should have...and Cook, the world's former "best COO", does it again...pathetic.

You are getting beyond obnoxious now.  Just yesterday you said the 5C was a failure because it didn't sell any.

You were, obviously, proven wrong with the facts:

-all carriers have said the 5C is the 2nd best selling phone (2nd only to the 5S)

-This report of ~3 million iPhone 5Cs were sold the first weekend- which is more than any Samsung (or any phone) has ever sold their first weekend.

 

So now you are changing your tune- from yesterday- from "The 5C was a failure because it didn't sell any" to "Apple failed because the 5C was supposed to be the best selling iPhone".  Which is even dumber than your previous dumb comment.  Who releases two products- one (5S) that is substantially improved and uses a year's newer technology- at a premium of only 15% more than the 2nd tier version (5C)- and expects the 2nd tier to sell better?

 

Your comments are asinine.  I assume you are an Apple fan (based on your signature)- and you disagree with the 5C.  And no matter what the facts say- you just can't be disproven.  Tallest Skil thought the iPad mini was a ridiculously dumb idea, but now knows it was a great move on Apple's part because the sales and numbers prove it.  I said I thought the iPad mini was priced wrong- it should have been $299- and that I wouldn't own one.  I also said the iPod Touch 5th gen was $50 too much and that I'd never own one.  I own both.  And I was wrong in both instances.  When the facts are shooting you between the eyes- let me tell you- it's ok to be wrong.  The 5C is not a failure- and, if you haven't held one in your hand (like I hadn't when I made the comment about the 5th gen iPod Touch)- then you really shouldn't comment on it.  It is a remarkably great build quality.


Edited by Andysol - 10/14/13 at 11:23am

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #91 of 120
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Apple sold the 4 and the 4s alongside each other in 2011.

 

And the 3G and 3GS alongside each other in 2009.

 

Originally Posted by macxpress0660 View Post

Citation needed...

 

You’d better be joking.

 

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
Next year

 

5C - $0

6C - $99 (Plastic case, touch ID, A7)

6 - $199

6L - $249

 

Nope. 6C will have an A8 and be launched in 2015. You’ve taken the 5SC and named it 6C, which it won’t be, because it’s in no way an iPhone 6.

 

5 - A6

5C - A6

5S - A7

6 - A8

6C - A8

6S - A9

 

Next year’s the 5C at $0, 5SC at $99, and 6 at $199. Year after is 5SC at $0, 6C at $99, and 6S at $199. Then the 6C at $0, 6SC at $99, and 7 at $199.

 

And this nonsense wouldn’t be happening if they’d just listened to me. Now we have the late ‘90s all over again. Thanks Performa 5210CD, PowerMac 5200/75 LC, Quadra 660AV, and LC 580. 

 

From those four names, without looking up specs, can YOU tell which one is the best? :no:

 

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Tallest Skil thought the iPad mini was a ridiculously dumb idea, but now knows it was a great move on Apple's part because the sales and numbers prove it.

 

Ap, bap bap, nope. I maintain it could be dumb. It sends the wrong message for what the future of devices will be, unless they go with a four tablet lineup. :p 

 

I totally agree with you about him, though. :lol: 5C was a “budget” phone in the hearts and minds of analysts ONLY, and at no time was it ever stated by anyone with any actual clout that it is anything but a 5-at-midrange replacement.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #92 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Considering all (or nearly all) of Apple's advertising efforts on the 2 new iPhone models have gone to the 5c with promotional support from print ads, POP displays, in-store-promotions, street posters and television ads I would think you might expect a bigger bump wouldn't you?

It's been on sale for three weeks. How many contracts were up?

The buyers of the 5C aren't the same as for the 5S.
post #93 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Next year’s the 5C at $0, 5SC at $99, and 6 at $199. Year after is 5SC at $0, 6C at $99, and 6S at $199. Then the 6C at $0, 6SC at $99, and 7 at $199.

I think you're right.  I also think next year they implement a bigger sized screen option too.  Hoping they keep a 4" 6, but also give us a larger (4.3 or 4.8) option additionally.  That would only expand the market- and I, personally, would love the larger screen.  Who cares about everyone else.  ;)

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #94 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

More display space. Hmmmm... good point. Last year and the year before and the year before etc... all I saw was the latest iPhone being advertised. This year I don't see any adverts at all for the 5s but I sure see a lot of brightly colored posters for the 5c.

 

True, but if you go in the stores, you will see both models on display. The 4S is still being offered, but it is not on display (at least at the stores I have been in).

post #95 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post
 

 

Wrong - it means Apple has failed in its expectations to have the "budget" 5C as its biggest-selling phone; instead, it's gonna be sitting in inventories all over the world because no one could give a crap about it.

 

And some of the geniuses around here were still asking me for "facts" about my negative statements concerning the 5C - early price cuts, less than 1/3 of sales even though the flagship model is way more expensive...this means weak demand and nothing else. 

 

In fact, this reminds of Apple's dark years when it completely miscalculated demand for the PowerBook, not being able to fulfil orders as it should have...and Cook, the world's former "best COO", does it again...pathetic.


The moment I read the headline, I immediately thought "I wonder how brlaywer is going to spin this to save face".

Needless to say, you spun it so fast to do damage control, you come across even more of a troll than had you just kept quiet and scurried to the back corner of the room.  You didn't disappoint.

However, it is fun to watch everyone calling you on it.  Frankly, you had it coming and deserved it troll.


Edited by sflocal - 10/14/13 at 12:45pm
post #96 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Considering all (or nearly all) of Apple's advertising efforts on the 2 new iPhone models have gone to the 5c with promotional support from print ads, POP displays, in-store-promotions, street posters and television ads I would think you might expect a bigger bump wouldn't you?

Not sure why you are asking me. I was asking you that question. I would like you to quantify what you think "not disappointing" means.

I'm going to tell you why I think the number is fine, but I expect quid pro quo from you. Simply put, the 5c is not an upgrade path for iPhone 5 users. It's virtually the same phone, and makes no sense at any price. It makes sense for someone using an iPhone 4 or 4S, and there are two kinds of iPhone 4/4S buyers: those who got their phone when it was new at $199+ (latest and greatest), and those who got it when it was last year's model selling for $99 (budget conscious). Based on last year's percentages, around 1 in 4 iPhone buyers is budget conscious. No amount of advertising will change you from one category to the other. If you got your iPhone 4/4S because it was the latest and greatest, you're not going to settle for the 5c. If $199 was too much for an iPhone 4/4S, it's still too much for the 5s. So the ratio isn't going to drastically change.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #97 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

If you got your iPhone 4/4S because it was the latest and greatest, you're not going to settle for the 5c. If $199 was too much for an iPhone 4/4S, it's still too much for the 5s. So the ratio isn't going to drastically change.

I had to talk my co-worker into getting the 5C because he was just going to get the 4S because it was free.  Even with the $50 GC best buy was doing- it was an act of congress for him to pony up $50 freakin' dollars.  Some people are just flat out cheap or don't care.

 

Newton is dead on- if you're a "latest greatest" guy (see- get new iPhone the first month it comes out)- then you're getting the 5s.  We haven't even begun to see the true sales of the 5C- and they are strong already!

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #98 of 120

"The new data also suggests that the iPhone 5c is not carving out a larger share of overall iPhone sales than the iPhone 4S managed last year, when it was the company's $100-on-contract handset.

With the iPhone 5c taking 27 percent this year, it's just slightly ahead of the 23 percent share the iPhone 4S captured during the same period in 2012, just after the launch of the iPhone 5."

 

"not carving out a larger share"

 

OR

 

"the iPhone 5c taking 27 percent this year, it's just slightly ahead of the 23 percent share the iPhone 4S"

 

SO, which is it????

 

Since, in my world, 27 IS "larger" than 23.... or and 17%  is a significant difference, anyone want to earn 17% LESS money?

post #99 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by habi View Post
 


The gap is so big in Europe atleast that it wont give android any problems expanding even further. Actually its the opposite for Apple. Apple is going to have more problems later if they dont sell bigger volumes than earlier.  It is apple that is going to be such a niche soon that any services will work lastly on it (eg. web pages and services etc.). It all now hangs on the ipad. The iphone is a lost cause already (OK, maybe not in the states but elsewhere).

 

There are plenty of services only android now and its so cheap that they can throw in a phone on the side just for kicks. Bought a 7000 Euro geothermal pump. the UI app is only for android. Not even 2 Years later is there an iphone version. Well thats why they gave a 250 Euro android phone on the side for free.

 

Soon there wont be any users below adulthood using iphones... There almost now isnt anymore (here in the Europe). Well Apple is knowingly being samsungs best buddy making a whole industry for Samsung. Apple doesnt want to cater to the most, Samsung can have them.

 

Well its alright,  I get it,  they don't like to make devices only to the richest of us. It is Apples right to chose its customers and its the customers right to chose its vendor.

 

If i where apple i would try to keep the foothold better but as apple is only interested in getting its margins increasing with every iteration then this strategy will have the same consequences to the ipad as the iphone has suffered.You can accelerate only as much with gasfumes.

 

That was quite a screwy dream you had there. Did you eat some bad Braunschweiger or something?
post #100 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Let me break this down for simple minds like mine. The 5C is selling way more than the 4S did at this point last year. The 5C is a Very Successful Product.

Did I call it? Yes.

Will analysts try to hide the success d the 5C? Yes.

Will the analysts fairly quickly be proved ridiculously wrong? Yes.

Plus the other shoe has yet to drop: China Mobile where, unlike the 5, the 5c IS compatible with their network. And that's, IMHO, why the 5"c" rather than the "old" 5...

 

Plus the design speaks to another aesthetic category to widen sales beyond simply price/tech.

post #101 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post
 

 

Not likely true. If a company can only build a certain amount of a product that is in high demand, the amount of markets is irrelevant to how many it can sell. For example, last year Apple sold 5 million in its opening weekend. This was not because it could not sell more, it was because that was all the inventory it had available. If it had another 4 million available last year in its opening weekend, it might have still sold them, without or without China. 

 

The amount of markets Apple makes available is likely determined by the inventory it has to sell. Does anyone believe if Apple took away China away, Apple still would not have sold 9 million? It added China because thanks to the 5C, it had more inventory on hand at launch. 

To be honest, I personally agree with you, but I didn't want to over-egg the pudding :)

post #102 of 120
T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Why not just use the 5 as it was then?

The 5 looks like the 5s and people will go for it instead of the 5s.

Just as people people go for the 4 and 4s instead of the 5 because they look the same design wise.

Now there is a differentiation. Aluminum vs plastic.
post #103 of 120
This is the case because Apple's pricing is wrong. Based on industry standard ratios between cost to manufacture and retail price, the 5c is overpriced. And it feels that way doesn't it? Be honest the 5s feels like worth more than a 5c $100. It's a clearly superior product. The 5c should have been priced around $450 off contract and $99 on contract, with the 5s for $650 off contract and $299 on contract.
post #104 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by daijones View Post
 

To be honest, I personally agree with you, but I didn't want to over-egg the pudding :)

 

 

LOL. . Yes, too many eggs in the pudding is bad. 

post #105 of 120

I dont there is a way for Apple to win on that stats.  People will find something negative to say on any sales figure. The 5c numbers will start to rise in the 2nd half of the cycle, especially if Apple reduce the price by $50 to $100 after 6 months.

post #106 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

This is the case because Apple's pricing is wrong. Based on industry standard ratios between cost to manufacture and retail price, the 5c is overpriced. And it feels that way doesn't it? Be honest the 5s feels like worth more than a 5c $100. It's a clearly superior product. The 5c should have been priced around $450 off contract and $99 on contract, with the 5s for $650 off contract and $299 on contract.

When you make a phone, you can price it any way you want. But that's the thing, the 5S is superior to the 5c. So if money isn't an object, peeps would splurge with extra $100 to get it. However, many people do consider price as an issue so they'll settle for the 5C.
post #107 of 120
This report says the 5s is outselling the 5c by two to one. Since they've figured the selling ratio they must know the total number of units sold so far, then exactly how many 5s units have been sold to date?
post #108 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

but, but, but no one wants to buy the 5C.

/s

how much more evidence do we need to show the 5C was a great move?

Wrong - do not just look at numbers, look at context. 5C was outsold 2-1, despite the fact that it was widely available throughout this period. 5S was in very poor supply and still could beat 5C easily.

I would say, there's a lot of upgraders from 4S who would have ideally liked the 5S, but did not have the patience to wait, so picked up 5C instead.

5C is a major mistake by Apple, and I believe Apple is curbing availability of 5S to push sales of 5C somehow. I expect that Apple will continue the same pricing and availability strategy internationally as well, to push more 5C units.

The 5C is the first ever phone that is so easily available in first month of sales!
post #109 of 120
Personally, I think everyone is missing out on a very important point about the iPhone 5c. And that is, it is not new. The iPhone 5c is pretty much the same as the iPhone 5. Both phones have the same CPU (Apple A6), same amount of RAM, etc. One of the notable changes is the front facing camera. In fact, the iPhone 5c is heavier, thicker and wider than the iPhone 5. Now the question becomes, why did Apple ditch the perfectly fine iPhone 5 and create the new iPhone 5c? The answer is very simply, LTE bands. The iPhone 5 only supports a very limited number of LTE bands. It might not be a huge problem in the US as the major carriers use the LTE bands that the iPhone 5 supports. But this is not the case in other parts of the world. For example, only 3 or 4 carriers in Hong Kong use the bands that the iPhone 5 supports. Customers who are on other networks would not be able to buy an iPhone because they might be tied to a contract. Apple is the type of company that wants to sell as many products to as many people as possible. They want to make their products more accessible. Since they always lower the price of the older model, they will face a problem if they do not provide an update version of the iPhone 5. Therefore, the iPhone 5c is the solution to their problem. The iPhone 5c is not meant to be cheap, it is meant to replace the iPhone 5 with more LTE bands making it more accessible to users. A lot of people are saying that the iPhone 5c is a failure because it only has 27% of all the iPhone sales, but consider the points I just mentioned. 27% is a huge amount for an upgraded version of the phone that is a year old.
post #110 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by macarena View Post


Wrong - do not just look at numbers, look at context. 5C was outsold 2-1, despite the fact that it was widely available throughout this period. 5S was in very poor supply and still could beat 5C easily.

I would say, there's a lot of upgraders from 4S who would have ideally liked the 5S, but did not have the patience to wait, so picked up 5C instead.

5C is a major mistake by Apple, and I believe Apple is curbing availability of 5S to push sales of 5C somehow. I expect that Apple will continue the same pricing and availability strategy internationally as well, to push more 5C units.

The 5C is the first ever phone that is so easily available in first month of sales!

 

I don't see how selling 3,000,000 phones in one weekend is a 'mistake' and 'failure'.

Keep smoking what ever you are smoking.

post #111 of 120
Originally Posted by clementmak View Post
Personally, I think everyone is missing out on a very important point about the iPhone 5c. And that is, it is not new. The iPhone 5c is pretty much the same as the iPhone 5. Both phones have the same CPU (Apple A6), same amount of RAM, etc. One of the notable changes is the front facing camera. In fact, the iPhone 5c is heavier, thicker and wider than the iPhone 5. Now the question becomes, why did Apple ditch the perfectly fine iPhone 5 and create the new iPhone 5c? The answer is very simply, LTE bands. The iPhone 5 only supports a very limited number of LTE bands. It might not be a huge problem in the US as the major carriers use the LTE bands that the iPhone 5 supports. But this is not the case in other parts of the world. For example, only 3 or 4 carriers in Hong Kong use the bands that the iPhone 5 supports. Customers who are on other networks would not be able to buy an iPhone because they might be tied to a contract. Apple is the type of company that wants to sell as many products to as many people as possible. They want to make their products more accessible. Since they always lower the price of the older model, they will face a problem if they do not provide an update version of the iPhone 5. Therefore, the iPhone 5c is the solution to their problem. The iPhone 5c is not meant to be cheap, it is meant to replace the iPhone 5 with more LTE bands making it more accessible to users. A lot of people are saying that the iPhone 5c is a failure because it only has 27% of all the iPhone sales, but consider the points I just mentioned. 27% is a huge amount for an upgraded version of the phone that is a year old.

 

You. Stick around. You’ll do good work.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #112 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by macarena View Post

Wrong - do not just look at numbers, look at context. 5C was outsold 2-1, despite the fact that it was widely available throughout this period. 5S was in very poor supply and still could beat 5C easily.

I would say, there's a lot of upgraders from 4S who would have ideally liked the 5S, but did not have the patience to wait, so picked up 5C instead.

5C is a major mistake by Apple, and I believe Apple is curbing availability of 5S to push sales of 5C somehow. I expect that Apple will continue the same pricing and availability strategy internationally as well, to push more 5C units.

The 5C is the first ever phone that is so easily available in first month of sales!

So much wrong, so little time. People who want the 5S aren't going to get the 5C. Again, the two models target two different audiences. The 5C targets the android, BBRY, WinMob refugees; those that don't need the latest and greatest; price conscious consumers; feature phone upgraders.
post #113 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


So much wrong, so little time. People who want the 5S aren't going to get the 5C. Again, the two models target two different audiences. The 5C targets the android, BBRY, WinMob refugees; those that don't need the latest and greatest; price conscious consumers; feature phone upgraders.

Restricting 5s sales, the more expensive/profitable product, to favor the CHEAPER product? How does that make sense in any world? I agree APPLE positioned the 5c at other phones, not the 5s, hence in part it's individual look, they HAVE a formal phone in the 4/4s/5/5s series: so now they go for fun and don't cannibalize their flagship which BTW makes the sales additive not zero-sum. And that's a smart move.

post #114 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by clementmak View Post

Personally, I think everyone is missing out on a very important point about the iPhone 5c. And that is, it is not new. The iPhone 5c is pretty much the same as the iPhone 5. Both phones have the same CPU (Apple A6), same amount of RAM, etc. One of the notable changes is the front facing camera. In fact, the iPhone 5c is heavier, thicker and wider than the iPhone 5. Now the question becomes, why did Apple ditch the perfectly fine iPhone 5 and create the new iPhone 5c? The answer is very simply, LTE bands. The iPhone 5 only supports a very limited number of LTE bands. It might not be a huge problem in the US as the major carriers use the LTE bands that the iPhone 5 supports. But this is not the case in other parts of the world. For example, only 3 or 4 carriers in Hong Kong use the bands that the iPhone 5 supports. Customers who are on other networks would not be able to buy an iPhone because they might be tied to a contract. Apple is the type of company that wants to sell as many products to as many people as possible. They want to make their products more accessible. Since they always lower the price of the older model, they will face a problem if they do not provide an update version of the iPhone 5. Therefore, the iPhone 5c is the solution to their problem. The iPhone 5c is not meant to be cheap, it is meant to replace the iPhone 5 with more LTE bands making it more accessible to users. A lot of people are saying that the iPhone 5c is a failure because it only has 27% of all the iPhone sales, but consider the points I just mentioned. 27% is a huge amount for an upgraded version of the phone that is a year old.

 

Another excellent point. 

post #115 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


When you make a phone, you can price it any way you want. But that's the thing, the 5S is superior to the 5c. So if money isn't an object, peeps would splurge with extra $100 to get it. However, many people do consider price as an issue so they'll settle for the 5C.

 

You assume people do not have other criteria. For example, some people might prefer a plastic case. Some people might like color options. Moreover, some people might not think $100 more is worth it for the 5S. 

post #116 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Restricting 5s sales, the more expensive/profitable product, to favor the CHEAPER product? How does that make sense in any world? I agree APPLE positioned the 5c at other phones, not the 5s, hence in part it's individual look, they HAVE a formal phone in the 4/4s/5/5s series: so now they go for fun and don't cannibalize their flagship which BTW makes the sales additive not zero-sum. And that's a smart move.
Who says they are restricting sales of the 5S? They make, they sell. There's only so many they can make.
post #117 of 120
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
Who says they are restricting sales of the 5S?

 

Every fandroid, claiming that Apple only “sells out” every iPhone by holding back stock at launch.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #118 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


Who says they are restricting sales of the 5S? They make, they sell. There's only so many they can make.

Apologies, yours wasn't the post where the speculation was the 5s was being restrained by Apple to push people to the (proved by it being in stock) 5c.

 

Not sure how that happened...

 

Ah, at the time I figured it was an expansion of and a support for your post. Elaborating on why constraining 5s to benefit the 5c made no sense in response to "and I believe Apple is curbing availability of 5S to push sales of 5C somehow."

 

[It all seemed to straightforward in my head]. part of the problem is the forum doesn't include the quotes within the quotes, IMHO.

post #119 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Apologies, yours wasn't the post where the speculation was the 5s was being restrained by Apple to push people to the (proved by it being in stock) 5c.

Not sure how that happened...

Ah, at the time I figured it was an expansion of and a support for your post. Elaborating on why constraining 5s to benefit the 5c made no sense in response to "and I believe Apple is curbing availability of 5S to push sales of 5C somehow."

[It all seemed to straightforward in my head]. part of the problem is the forum doesn't include the quotes within the quotes, IMHO.

Ah. No problem. I know a few posters like to quote 30 posts or write pages of text so it does get confusing.
post #120 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Restricting 5s sales, the more expensive/profitable product, to favor the CHEAPER product? How does that make sense in any world? I agree APPLE positioned the 5c at other phones, not the 5s, hence in part it's individual look, they HAVE a formal phone in the 4/4s/5/5s series: so now they go for fun and don't cannibalize their flagship which BTW makes the sales additive not zero-sum. And that's a smart move.

Well, under normal circumstances, it makes no sense to restrict supply of the 5S to push the 5C.

However, if you are sitting on tons of 5C inventory, on which demand is much lesser than you anticipated, you might do things that you normally wouldn't do!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • iPhone 5s takes 64% of Apple's smartphone sales, 5c with 27%, survey finds
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 5s takes 64% of Apple's smartphone sales, 5c with 27%, survey finds