or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Retina iPad mini expected to be slightly thicker to accommodate bigger battery

Retina iPad mini expected to be slightly thicker to accommodate bigger battery - Page 2

post #41 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Excluding black bars, 16:9 movies on a 4:3 iPad mini display an image that is bigger than the full screen 16:9 7" tablets. That "extra inch" on 7" tablets is plastic/glass bezel while on the iPad mini it's useable screen space.

At least on the Nexus7 when they say it's a 7" screen that's what it means. The entire 7" 16:9 display is available for playing movies/video. There's no inch lost for the bezel. It's all usable screen space.

It doesn't matter of course. Highly unlikely Apple will ever take the iPad to 16:9. My only point earlier was that IMO 16:9 would be useful for the Mini even if the larger iPads are better creation/work devices at 4:3. Has nothing at all to do with the screen real estate on any non-Apple tablet..
Edited by Gatorguy - 10/14/13 at 5:21pm
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #42 of 46
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post
it took the full sized 3 gen.

I don’t think that’s a valid metric. For example, it took the iPhone four generations to get a retina display, and yet the iPad took three. They came out, initially, at different times, and so it would be silly to assume tech that had become standard would take as long as it had to get in a new product.

Another example. It “took” three generations for 802.11n to get into the MacBook Pro, but it was in the first-gen MacBook Air. The latter came out much later than the former, and so, since the tech was already available, it went in immediately.

Thing about retina 8.9” displays is… they don’t exist. And so regardless of the iPhone having had retina since before the iPad mini even existed, it has naturally taken some time to create them. Same with the iPad (which, admittedly, came out before the first retina iPhone).

I figure if we hear a few more reports of the appropriate panels being made, a retina mini is close to a lock.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #43 of 46
16:9 is only good for watching movies and video. No good for internet surfing nor e-book reader. With 4:3; you can do all the above! Black letter box at top and bottom do not bother me at all!
post #44 of 46
Am I the only person who would prefer lightness to retina? Who thinks lightness should be the aim. The marketing "gimmick"

I use my iPhone for iBooks, possibly at the cost of my eyes, because the iPad is too heavy.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #45 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Am I the only person who would prefer lightness to retina? Who thinks lightness should be the aim. The marketing "gimmick"

I use my iPhone for iBooks, possibly at the cost of my eyes, because the iPad is too heavy.

No- but if it is a negligible amount heavier- then Retina would be the preference.  With what their "predicting" (take that with a grain of salt)- it wouldn't even be noticeable.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #46 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

Don;t care about the thickness since it is minor! Love to have a state of the art components inside of the iPad Mini Retina.

iPad Mini Retina should have the A7X, 4GB RAM, M7, 802.11 ac, IGZO display, dual flash camera and option for 128GB storage.

Price is not a big deal for me either! $1,200 is okay!

Nice - but what would they sell next year!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Retina iPad mini expected to be slightly thicker to accommodate bigger battery
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Retina iPad mini expected to be slightly thicker to accommodate bigger battery