or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Updated MacBook Pros to arrive in late Oct., new Mac Pro in mid Nov.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Updated MacBook Pros to arrive in late Oct., new Mac Pro in mid Nov. - Page 2

post #41 of 121
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Wriggle all you like.

 

It’s called asking a question. Traditionally, one responds to a question; it’s just polite.

 

I don’t have a clue how prices in the UK fluctuate.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #42 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

The rate they're going...

The rate you're going is making everything here look cheap.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #43 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Odd timing for the Pro. Most businesses don't spend much money on IT between November and early February due to their budget cycles. Small shops might for tax reasons, but it seems to be sub-optimal.

Still holding out hope that it will come in at $2k in order to try and expand its market appeal; the market for a "tower" has dropped a lot since the G5 enclosure debuted.

1) it was preannounced in June to be a 2013 delivery, so the timing of your timing comment is odd;-)

2) 'most businesses' don't use a Mac Pro as a desktops...  this is a niche product in a niche market. 

3) businesses that do use Mac Pros have been keeping $$ in the budget since before June;-)... even large businesses have their 4th quarter spending splurges to make sure they don't make 'too much' money in a particular quarter [less about taxes, and more about keeping expectations in line])

4) We all want Apple to lower their prices as consumers... but we have to look as 'investors' and think product line placement.

I do agree, that the 'workstation' market is ripe for a disruption.... and a $1999 highly functional base system would be great

post #44 of 121

What about IGZO for new RMBP? We were waiting this update so long... I guess we deserve it

post #45 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
 

Where are the mac mini rumors?  Man I'm starting to worry I won't see a haswell mini in 2013.

Just curious- what are you expecting out of a Haswell mini vs an Ivy Bridge mini outside of a minor power consumption savings and Wireless AC?  Performance-wise, it will be identical to the 2012 (if the iMac is any indication)- unless you go SSD.

 

Haswell is the most underwhelming desktop processor "upgrade" that has ever come out.  For Laptops it is arguably the best, but for desktop its inconsequential.


Edited by Andysol - 10/15/13 at 8:07am

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #46 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post
 

the iMac used to cost £595 here in the UK.  It now costs £1145 inc VAT. 

 

'Only Apple.'

 

Lemon Bon Bon.

The Mustang used to cost $2,368 here in the US.  It now costs $22,200 not inc TTL.

 

'Only Ford.'

 

Andysol.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #47 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post
 

Maybe Apple should push the iMac's price up into Mac Pro territory.  Afterall, they're a premium company, right?

 

Lemon Bon Bon.

 

Well a topped out iMac is current 2800BP(with VAT) or $4500USD before state sales taxes.

It's in Mac Pro territory.

 

and really, I think that's what Apple wants (or it thinks it's largest set of High End consumers want).   

post #48 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post
 

 

Well a topped out iMac is current 2800BP(with VAT) or $4500USD before state sales taxes.

It's in Mac Pro territory.

 

and really, I think that's what Apple wants (or it thinks it's largest set of High End consumers want).   

We are budgeting $10k for each of our Mac Pros. That is in line with the near topped out previous Pro prices. $2500 will get you a nice home computer, but most of us spend much more.

post #49 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
 

Just curious- what are you expecting out of a Haswell mini vs an Ivy Bridge mini outside of a minor power consumption savings and Wireless AC?  Performance-wise, it will be identical to the 2012 (if the iMac is any indication)- unless you go SSD.

 

Haswell is the most underwhelming desktop processor "upgrade" that has ever come out.  For Laptops it is arguably the best, but for desktop its inconsequential.

 

I expect a much improved GPU.   And finally, the new wireless system.

Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
Reply
Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
Reply
post #50 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proximityeffect View Post
 

We are budgeting $10k for each of our Mac Pros. That is in line with the near topped out previous Pro prices.

Pretty much what I was thinking.

Intel's latest IB 12 core Xeons are nearly 3k each, and even the lower end firepros(that are worth anything in performance anyway) will add nearly $1000-$1500 for the cost, never mind the higher end options.

 

Edit: Can't forget, that PCIe Flash especially does not come cheap either.

post #51 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post
 

...and if you want the DVD (which used to be included...IN the price...) you have to pay £60+ extra.

 

Don't be stingy, Apple...put an external in the box.

 

Apple.  Overpriced for what you get.

 

Lemon Bon Bon.

 

Should we send you a box is tissues because Apple releases something you can't afford? Go buy your 200£ Dell then and if that makes you happy then so be it. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #52 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
 

 

I expect a much improved GPU.   And finally, the new wireless system.

Oh ya- duh! Forgot about the Intel 5000 and that the mini is integrated.  Sorry!

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #53 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post
 

Just trash the iMac and the mini.

 

One Pro Can.  Fill it with your specs.  Done.  One studio monitor.  One can with your 'part susan' specs.

 

Not likely.  And frankly I prefer they not do that unless the mac pro is as inexpensive as the mini. Since that isn't going to happen this would be a loss for everyone.  Plus the Mac Pro is too huge to use as a HTPC.

 

Quote:
 

But no...they'd rather charge £500 for a computer with no keyboard, mouse or monitor.  Or £2045 inc VAT for an out of date and mediocre quad core with crap gpu and no monitor...or push up the prices of their AIO.

 

Lemon Bon Bon.

 

Mac Mini 2.5 Ghz i5 (dual core) 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD - £463

 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-Dual-Core-2-5GHz-Processor-Graphics/dp/B009XCJ4QM/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1381850765&sr=1-1&keywords=Mac+Mini

 

Intel NUC 1.8 Ghz i5 (dual core) Barebones with Win8 - £319

 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-BOXDC53427HYE-Desktop-PC-Integrated/dp/B00C9KMNUO/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1381850712&sr=1-3&keywords=Intel+NUC#productDetails

 

No keyboard, mouse, monitor, ram, hdd, or power cord.  For a £144 more I'd rather have OSX and a mini.

 

So bugger off to Win8 land if you think Apple pricing is so extortionate.  You've been whinging on AI for years.

post #54 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
 

Oh ya- duh! Forgot about the Intel 5000 and that the mini is integrated.  Sorry!

 

Yah, that's a huge improvement.   Even if it doesn't get the Iris Pro it'll be better.

post #55 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Still holding out hope that it will come in at $2k in order to try and expand its market appeal; the market for a "tower" has dropped a lot since the G5 enclosure debuted.

 

The key thing about the pricing is how much Apple accountants estimate they will save on shipping.

 

Assuming that the U.S. robots build them as cheaply as China would, Apple saves on shipping both because of the distance-to-market, and because of the new smaller form factor.

 

Whether that savings is as high as $500 is anyone's guess, but I think that would be pushing it.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #56 of 121
I'm still hoping for a Mac mini redesign (A shrunken like version of the new Mac Pro in iPod Touch anodized colours) and Aperture X. But I suspect both are unlikely to happen.
post #57 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

Can't forget, that PCIe Flash especially does not come cheap either.

Not expensive either, really:

240GB $460
480GB $720
960GB $1294

http://eshop.macsales.com/search/pcie+ssd
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #58 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Apple may be releasing the Mac Pro.

I'll say what few here seem to be saying.

Yay. Hurray. Good news. Woooo hooooo.

You'd think on an Apple news site there would be joy lol.

It's anxious anticipation for me. I only have $2500 to spend on a machine to replace my evil Windows disaster PC and I want it to be a Mac Pro. I'm not too confident that it'll be in that range, and I'm not at all confident that the configuration I'll need will be within that range.

I'm also hoping Apple announces a retina-style high-PPI desktop display, since I'm still working with an old 21" CRT that wastes a ton of desk space and isn't really that impressive (except for its "better than LCD" contrast ratio). Even if they do release a high-PPI display, it'll probably be another $1000+ expense I cannot afford.

I'm fed up with the Windows insanity I've suffered since 1992. My transition to Mac for audio and photography won't be complete without a desktop powered machine. Especially since my 15" MacBook Pro 3,1 now has a dead nvidia GPU.

You want us to shout with happiness and glee... I'm nervously awaiting the facts that will determine whether or not I'm stuck with what I have for another year (or two). Mac Pro with decent RAM/storage configuration & retina-class-ready output at $2500? I'll be shooting rainbows out my butt.
post #59 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Wishes he could afford a Mac Pro...I'm very curious as to what the price of this awesome Mac will be. I'm sure it will be through the roof and people will whine and complain like they were going to buy one but now aren't. I'm expecting it to be in the $2500+ range.

Remember folks...this is a professional workstation. Its not meant to for normal everyday Mac users like most of us.

Perspective...


  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_128K                                                                                        

http://www.davemanuel.com/inflation-calculator.php
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #60 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proximityeffect View Post

 
We are budgeting $10k for each of our Mac Pros. That is in line with the near topped out previous Pro prices.
Pretty much what I was thinking.
Intel's latest IB 12 core Xeons are nearly 3k each, and even the lower end firepros(that are worth anything in performance anyway) will add nearly $1000-$1500 for the cost, never mind the higher end options.

Edit: Can't forget, that PCIe Flash especially does not come cheap either.

The top end model wholesale should be:

E5-2697v2 12-core $2614
8GB RAM $100 (I'll leave this at the base because it can be bought cheaper elsewhere)
dual W9000 (or 2013 equivalent) - this depends on AMD and not the retail prices at all. Since AMD is in bad shape, I reckon they will have got a two for one deal and the retail price of dual W9000 will be ~$3000-4000 so wholesale about $2500
1TB SSD = $900 ($0.90/GB wholesale)
the rest of the parts I estimate at $300

$6400 plus 40% margins = $10,690 and 64GB RAM $800 from a 3rd party so maxed out could be ~$11.5k. The big unknown here is AMD's GPUs as it could make it go as high as $15k but AMD has $359m in assets after deducting liabilities. They made a loss of $74m the last reported quarter. If that keeps up for another 4 quarters or so, they could start to have liabilities that exceed their assets and it doesn't mean immediate bankruptcy but it's the start of it. If Apple sells 250k Mac Pros in the quarter and the average wholesale price they pay AMD between all the GPU options is $800 (the lower end options are always the higher volume so the average comes way down) and AMD has a gross margin of 40%, they'd make $80m profit just from one customer. That alone would counter all their losses and keep them pretty healthy for the next year.
post #61 of 121
Dimension...


To Approximate Scale:

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #62 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
1. Release of Mavericks
2. Sufficient supply of the new Intex Xeon chips
3. Thunderbolt 2- which as far as I know isn't anywhere yet

Definitely 2 and 3. I doubt 1 is that important to them.

Mavericks is key to the new Mac Pro -- and I suspect a new set of Mac Pro apps to drop at the same time!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #63 of 121
Try not to confuse "Pro" with "hobbyist/enthusiast"

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #64 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I bet this will simply just be released like the iMacs were. You don't need a special event to release an updated Mac mini unless they were going to totally change the form factor of it. You're probably not going to see anything significant as far as speed increases go anyways. Why not just get the current Mac mini?

Because Haswell has the potential fir huge performance increases on the Mini. It is all a matter of chip selection.
post #65 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Just trash the iMac and the mini.

One Pro Can.  Fill it with your specs.  Done.  One studio monitor.  One can with your 'part susan' specs.

Apple can streamline it's desktop that way and broaden it's appeal.  One can.  One monitor.  Configure as you like.

The desktop line has been broken for a long time.

And they wonder why they're slipping in sales?

Look at what they did to the Pro and iMac line over the last several years.  They could have taken advantage of the wintel switcher halo thing that's going on.

But no...they'd rather charge £500 for a computer with no keyboard, mouse or monitor.  Or £2045 inc VAT for an out of date and mediocre quad core with crap gpu and no monitor...or push up the prices of their AIO.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Sadly I have to agree with the above. I'm really hoping Apple has learned it lesson here with respect to the high prices it charges for the various Mac products. It has become a bit of a joke lately, you often pay twice as much for half the performance with its desktop machines.
post #66 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Just curious- what are you expecting out of a Haswell mini vs an Ivy Bridge mini outside of a minor power consumption savings and Wireless AC?  Performance-wise, it will be identical to the 2012 (if the iMac is any indication)- unless you go SSD.

Haswell is the most underwhelming desktop processor "upgrade" that has ever come out.  For Laptops it is arguably the best, but for desktop its inconsequential.

Baloney!

First the driving feature of Haswell is the GPU and depending upon which one Apple goes with will have a profound impact on performance. Beyond that Haswell is cool enough that the top end clock rate will offer real performance advantages. Even if those high end speeds only kick in for a few moments via turboing it is very useful considering the way Minis are used.

The above doesn't even consider the advantages of the new instructions in Haswell that software could be using soon. Nor does it consider that the Iris GPU is a very impressive OpenCL processor. For many users Haswell is a big win in the Mini.
post #67 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

The key thing about the pricing is how much Apple accountants estimate they will save on shipping.
Actually I'm not too certain it is a big deal. The Pros smaller size means many would go into a shipping container. Apple most likely has very good deals with the air freight companies.

The flip side here is that these will likely ship in mixed configurations so they wouldn't be able to pack a container with three configurations and be done with it.
Quote:
Assuming that the U.S. robots build them as cheaply as China would, Apple saves on shipping both because of the distance-to-market, and because of the new smaller form factor.
For things like iPads they might see huge savings from over seas production as the stocked units are all the same. With the Mac Pro I think it is more a matter of shipping a variety of configurations, customization if you will that leads to leveraging distance to market and the small form factor.
Quote:
Whether that savings is as high as $500 is anyone's guess, but I think that would be pushing it.

I suspect they are seeing significant savings in build time and of course a parts reduction. Since the GPUs aren't shipping with heat sinks and fans, right away they benefit cost wise there. Not that this stuff cost Apple a lot, after all we are talking extrusions here and dirt cheap fans. But the hardware reductions and tailored electronics do lead a lot of little cost savings that add up. Plus I can see Apple getting a very good deal from AMD for their GPUs.

If Apple really wanted too they could deliver a machine in this form factor, as a Mini replacement, for well under $1200. It would require a cheaper power supply and likely only one GPU slot. But one desktop chip would likely be cheaper that the Minis current mobile chip. Further they could offer the GPU as an option. It would end up being a very competitive desktop machine though.
post #68 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The top end model wholesale should be:

E5-2697v2 12-core $2614
8GB RAM $100 (I'll leave this at the base because it can be bought cheaper elsewhere)
dual W9000 (or 2013 equivalent) - this depends on AMD and not the retail prices at all. Since AMD is in bad shape, I reckon they will have got a two for one deal and the retail price of dual W9000 will be ~$3000-4000 so wholesale about $2500
1TB SSD = $900 ($0.90/GB wholesale)
the rest of the parts I estimate at $300

$6400 plus 40% margins = $10,690 and 64GB RAM $800 from a 3rd party so maxed out could be ~$11.5k. The big unknown here is AMD's GPUs as it could make it go as high as $15k but AMD has $359m in assets after deducting liabilities. They made a loss of $74m the last reported quarter. If that keeps up for another 4 quarters or so, they could start to have liabilities that exceed their assets and it doesn't mean immediate bankruptcy but it's the start of it. If Apple sells 250k Mac Pros in the quarter and the average wholesale price they pay AMD between all the GPU options is $800 (the lower end options are always the higher volume so the average comes way down) and AMD has a gross margin of 40%, they'd make $80m profit just from one customer. That alone would counter all their losses and keep them pretty healthy for the next year.

I want AMD to survive as much as anybody, however when was the last time Apple sold 250k a quarter of the Mac Pro? I'd be surprised if they do 5oK a year. Of course 50K = 100K GPUs.

This project will no doubt help AMD. For one it is a great marketing advantage and highlights their efforts with OpenCL. Certainly every little sale helps the bottom line. I'm just not sure it will save AMD because the bread and butter is dropping out of the GPU business and they have yet to recover in the desktop nor most of the mobile world. Sad really. It will be interesting to see AMD start shipping ARM products.
post #69 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


Baloney!

First the driving feature of Haswell is the GPU and depending upon which one Apple goes with will have a profound impact on performance. Beyond that Haswell is cool enough that the top end clock rate will offer real performance advantages. Even if those high end speeds only kick in for a few moments via turboing it is very useful considering the way Minis are used.

The above doesn't even consider the advantages of the new instructions in Haswell that software could be using soon. Nor does it consider that the Iris GPU is a very impressive OpenCL processor. For many users Haswell is a big win in the Mini.

Maybe if you didn't respond to every person individually, and used that oh-so-neat button called "Multi-quote"- then you could have read that I already said I forgot about the integrated graphics.  Benchmarks are identical to ivy bridge.  No processing advantage at all in the CPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
 

Oh ya- duh! Forgot about the Intel 5000 and that the mini is integrated.  Sorry!

 

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #70 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


Actually I'm not too certain it is a big deal. The Pros smaller size means many would go into a shipping container. Apple most likely has very good deals with the air freight companies.

The flip side here is that these will likely ship in mixed configurations so they wouldn't be able to pack a container with three configurations and be done with it.

 

But that's the issue isn't it? The Pro isn't shipped en masse like the iPad and iPhone are.

 

That's part of why it's feasible to make in North America, because it's shipping [largely] one at a time and not in shipping containers.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #71 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Sadly I have to agree with the above. I'm really hoping Apple has learned it lesson here with respect to the high prices it charges for the various Mac products. It has become a bit of a joke lately, you often pay twice as much for half the performance with its desktop machines.

 

I call BS.  Show me the same form factor machine with twice the performance at half the price for any of Apple's line up aside from the aged Mac Pro about to get replaced.

 

An Intel NUC is not half the price with double the performance of a Mini.

No windows AIO is half the price with double the performance of the iMac.  Not the Dell, Asus, Samsung, HP, Toshiba, etc.

 

Man, you've been whining for years about a xMac.  Finally you get a the new Mac Pro on the way and you're bitching about the price of Apple products.  Get a clue, it won't be nearly as cheap as you want it to be.  Not even close.

 

The lesson that Apple has learned about pricing is that if you price like Dell and HP you'll have volume and no profits.

 

The biggest joke are the folks that have been complaining about Apple for years and years and yet stick around here anyway.  What's worse is that when Apple finally moves closer to their holy grail device they bitch about how it's going to be too expensive and OMG they bought a PowerMac G4 MDD in 2003 for $1299 and Apple is so overpriced now (never mind that in 2013 dollars it's $2100).  Blah, blah, blah.

 

Jimminy Cricket.  Some folks will never ever be satisfied.

post #72 of 121

Back when Steve Jobs was still alive I believe the Mac Pro was discontinued. The evidence is clear. If they had intended to keep making them there would have been an update in 2011 and a more significant one in 2012 so buyers would feel comfortable that Apple wasn't abandoning them. Apple also would not have gone 8 months without a single sale in Europe because the product doesn't have regulatory approval. That alone says the Mac Pro was headed for the same fate as the 17" MacBook Pro.

What we saw last summer was a change of direction at Apple. They quickly rushed out minor speed bumps for an aging machine and tried to hang onto customers by promising something worth waiting for "later next year".

What changed? Probably a larger than expected stream of complaints about Final Cut Pro X, the seemingly endless criticism for not innovating, the opportunity to push "Made in America" and a dazzling set of concept drawings from Jony Ive. There's no room in Apple's consumer lineup for either domestic assembly or Mac Cube The Next Generation so the only option for them to do something really surprising was to resurrect the Mac Pro.

 

Others have already pointed out that the new Mac Pro is going to be an expensive machine. I'm not expecting them to maintain the US$2499 price point for the base model because parts alone will likely cost almost that much. Ivy Bridge E has some reasonably priced 6-core processors for an entry level machine, but even if Apple is getting a great deal on FirePro 7000s the cost of manufacture is going to be awfully close to the current retail price.

 

I don't think Apple is as price constrained on any of their other Mac models. Retail prices are set where the market will bear and investors will be happy. Only at Apple will you find a more expensive CPU in a $599 computer than a $1799 one.

post #73 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Maybe if you didn't respond to every person individually, and used that oh-so-neat button called "Multi-quote"- then you could have read that I already said I forgot about the integrated graphics.  Benchmarks are identical to ivy bridge.  No processing advantage at all in the CPU.

Except for the fact that it is realistic to have the CPU clocked faster. Oh and the GPU can be much faster.

People seem to discount the importance of the GPU in modern systems where as I see the GPU to be incredibly important in a Mini sized machine.
post #74 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

But that's the issue isn't it? The Pro isn't shipped en masse like the iPad and iPhone are.

That's part of why it's feasible to make in North America, because it's shipping [largely] one at a time and not in shipping containers.
Well this could be debated at length but i don't see the shipping being cheaper if you do low volume shipments. If Apple has one or two UPS trucks pulling up to the plant daily, to move a few hundred machines a day, I'm not sure they would get the costs of shipping under control.

This is actually an interesting discussion but more so I don't think most of us know what sort of rates Apple is getting.
post #75 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

I call BS.  Show me the same form factor machine with twice the performance at half the price for any of Apple's line up aside from the aged Mac Pro about to get replaced.
That is fine but the declining sales ought to indicate something to you.
Quote:
An Intel NUC is not half the price with double the performance of a Mini.
No windows AIO is half the price with double the performance of the iMac.  Not the Dell, Asus, Samsung, HP, Toshiba, etc.
What does NUC have to do with the Mini?
Quote:
Man, you've been whining for years about a xMac.  Finally you get a the new Mac Pro on the way and you're bitching about the price of Apple products.  Get a clue, it won't be nearly as cheap as you want it to be.  Not even close.
As far as I know there isn't a variant of the Mac Pro coming that qualifies as an XMac. The need for an XMac isn't irrational at all in fact the chaining markets demands something like the idea of the XMac.
Quote:
The lesson that Apple has learned about pricing is that if you price like Dell and HP you'll have volume and no profits.
I would fully expect Apple to make their profit goals on any sort of gap filling machine that may come. This idea that Apple can't make a profit on a desktop machine is garbage.
Quote:
The biggest joke are the folks that have been complaining about Apple for years and years and yet stick around here anyway.  What's worse is that when Apple finally moves closer to their holy grail device they bitch about how it's going to be too expensive and OMG they bought a PowerMac G4 MDD in 2003 for $1299 and Apple is so overpriced now (never mind that in 2013 dollars it's $2100).  Blah, blah, blah.

Jimminy Cricket.  Some folks will never ever be satisfied.
You have no idea. By the way the only way to effect change is to make people realize or know that you want change. It will be interesting to see how far Apple goes redoing the Mac Line up.
post #76 of 121

I know next to nothing about processors. Could this impact any Mac hardware deliveries?

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #77 of 121
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
I know next to nothing about processors. Could this impact any Mac hardware deliveries?

 

Doubt it, other than the fact that last I heard there aren’t even desktop chips for Broadwell… :grumble::???::no:

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #78 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Doubt it, other than the fact that last I heard there aren’t even desktop chips for Broadwell… :grumble::???::no:

Fudzilla put up an article about a month ago about that(The whole broadwell no desktop.).

 

Intel is more or less(according to them at least) ending Tick-tock for the desktop portion. CPU refreshes every 2 years.

So it will be Haswell, then Haswell-E, followed directly by Skylake in 2015, which more or less matches what is known of intel roadmaps.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


I want AMD to survive as much as anybody, however when was the last time Apple sold 250k a quarter of the Mac Pro? I'd be surprised if they do 5oK a year. Of course 50K = 100K GPUs.

This project will no doubt help AMD. For one it is a great marketing advantage and highlights their efforts with OpenCL. Certainly every little sale helps the bottom line. I'm just not sure it will save AMD because the bread and butter is dropping out of the GPU business and they have yet to recover in the desktop nor most of the mobile world. Sad really. It will be interesting to see AMD start shipping ARM products.

Whether AMD survives or not at this point really doesn't matter if you're hoping that they become more competitive with Intel at least. Their GPU segment is fine and one of the most successful, but AMD has already stated that they're tired of playing second fiddle to Intel and while they aren't giving up, the desktop market will receive less and less attention from them because of their inability to compete.


Edited by Jexus - 10/15/13 at 8:28pm
post #79 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Except for the fact that it is realistic to have the CPU clocked faster. Oh and the GPU can be much faster.

People seem to discount the importance of the GPU in modern systems where as I see the GPU to be incredibly important in a Mini sized machine.

Why do you keep mentioning the GPU like you're bringing something new to the table? Yes- I said the GPU is substantially improved. You aren't educating me on it. Hence- why I specifically mentioned ONLY the CPU.

And sure- they can clock it faster- but like I said in my FIRST post- if the iMac is any indication- they won't. So again- haswell has zero CPU benefit vs ivy bridge. Well- you'd save $10/yr in electricity. So that's good I guess.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #80 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It has become a bit of a joke lately, you often pay twice as much for half the performance with its desktop machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

I call BS.  Show me the same form factor machine with twice the performance at half the price for any of Apple's line up aside from the aged Mac Pro about to get replaced.

An Intel NUC is not half the price with double the performance of a Mini.
No windows AIO is half the price with double the performance of the iMac.  Not the Dell, Asus, Samsung, HP, Toshiba, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

What does NUC have to do with the Mini?


I like how you pretended to respond point-by-point to nht, but didn't address the point where he called you out on your assertion that you pay twice as much for half the performance when you buy a Mac.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Updated MacBook Pros to arrive in late Oct., new Mac Pro in mid Nov.