or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's new retail chief was Britain's highest paid CEO, saw sales at Burberry triple

Apple's new retail chief was Britain's highest paid CEO, saw sales at Burberry triple - Page 2

post #41 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

I can see her being groomed as the CEO after Tim Cook retires many years from now.

She wears outdoor coats indoors though. Plus she's older than Tim so they'll reach retirement age around the same time. Federighi is only 43 and can take over in 10 years, similar age to Ive.
post #42 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

She wears outdoor coats indoors though. Plus she's older than Tim so they'll reach retirement age around the same time. Federighi is only 43 and can take over in 10 years, similar age to Ive.

I didn't realize she was older than Tim.

She's quite a bit older than me but I'd go out with her… just as soon as my imaginary relationship with Diane Lane ended.
post #43 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessagePad2100 View Post

Here's a video of her and her work at Burberry:

She seems like a badass.

EDIT:  I found this Ted Talk with her.  This answers your question very well.  Seems she likes to hold an iPad Mini during her talks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZNlN31hS78

EDIT 2:  This video seems almost like her interview at Apple - except it was from 2012.  She'll be an asset to Apple:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AfDJnzydR4

Apple fangirl 100%! :) 

post #44 of 78
Quote:

Yah, June vs November 1960.

post #45 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Apple does practice those keynotes a lot so hopefully they catch things like that. If not I predict a bit of cringing for Retrogusto and I. It's really is a bit much to put up with. My friends and me might even skip the keynote. 1cool.gif

It's excellent Queen's English. That particular phrase is better spoken than written, I might add.

I wouldn't skip any keynotes just because a woman with a slightly different dialect is speaking. Seriously.

post #46 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Yup.  When referring to oneself as the subject of a sentence, one should always use "I".

When referring to oneself as the object of a sentence, one should always use "me".

Correct: "I went home."

Incorrect: "Me went home."

Correct: "Give the book to me."

Incorrect: "Give the book to I."

This is true for compound subjects and objects joined by the conjunction "and."

Correct: "She and I went home."

Incorrect: "She and me went home."

Correct: "Give the book to Jane and me."

Incorrect "Give the book to Jane and I."

"Jane and me went to the library."? Nah…  Jane and I.

"He went to the library with Jane and me."? Even if correct, it feels unnatural. I would use "I" in that case.

That last is the closest to her usage in, "Christopher and I". 

You can argue "proper English" all day. It is a living language, ever evolving. How we use it is how it IS, rightly or wrongly.

In this case, I think her application was correct. In the Queen's English in particular. 

"You are free to join Christopher and I in the board room." is likely the most common way to put that, not "You are free to join Christopher and me in the board room."  The nuance is important. It feels quite different, all grammatical points aside. I understand why "I" is preferred. If it's wrong, perhaps it's time for the rules to change. Again. 

post #47 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormM View Post

Her sentence was "It gives every associate a platform to talk back to Christoper and I."  It needs to end with "me", as in "talk back to me", not "talk back to I".  But no real person has perfect grammar in their speech.

Pathetic and embarrassing that you graduated from Middle school, if you can't grasp the use of I.

post #48 of 78
Quote:

Language does not work that way. You feeling a word sounds more correct one way does not mean it's incorrect when use in another way.

Even English grammar varies a bit around the world. Beyond that if you come from yet another culture it is hard to drop elements from the language common there. For example a person of French origin may have lived in an English speaking country for years and still talk with a French flavor.
post #49 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Even English grammar varies a bit around the world. Beyond that if you come from yet another culture it is hard to drop elements from the language common there. For example a person of French origin may have lived in an English speaking country for years and still talk with a French flavor.

For example, I like the British aluminium over aluminum but don't like how they say schedule.

PS: The British spelling and pronunciation is not the original. They altered it after the fact yet it seems way too many people think it's the other way around.
post #50 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessagePad2100 View Post

Here's a video of her and her work at Burberry:

She seems like a badass.

That video is literally the first time I've seen a CEO from another company talk and sound like they were in Apple's league.  Hell, she seems like she could move apple forward dramatically.... those retail features are far more forward thinking than what Apples' doing now.  Apple retail was innovative when it first came out, but it hasn't been moving forward as fast as she has been moving Burberry forward it seems.

WOW.   Badass is right!

post #51 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Pathetic and embarrassing that you graduated from Middle school, if you can't grasp the use of I.
It isn't even clear that it is a mistake given her English background.

What is worst is people making all this noise about what they think is a grammar error in a speech. Anybody that has ever done public speaking has made errors during a speech. It is a fact of life. At least she didn't call the TB ports FireWire ports.
post #52 of 78

Yves Saint Laurent's CEO is only good enough to run special projects at Apple. But Burberry's CEO has the clout to take over online and in-store sales. Interesting. One thing is for sure - Angela Ahrendts is an upgrade to the fashion sense of the executive ranks at Cupertino. We will no longer see only untucked shirts and jeans at Apple's special events.

Did Ahrendts impress Cook when Apple and Burberry worked on co-marketing the iPhone 5s? Or did Burberry gain early glimpse of 5s as Ahrendts was interviewing for the job?

Edited by StruckPaper - 10/15/13 at 2:15pm
post #53 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

"He went to the library with Jane and me."? Even if correct, it feels unnatural. I would use "I" in that case.

Actually, to say "he went to the library with Jane and I" sounds to me like you did go to elementary school.

Whatever floats your boat....

post #54 of 78
Quote:

For example, I like the British aluminium over aluminum but don't like how they say schedule.

PS: The British spelling and pronunciation is not the original. They altered it after the fact yet it seems way too many people think it's the other way around.

The use of the word scheme has a more positive meaning in Britain than the USA. In Britain it seems to be OK to use the word in advertising and so forth in the same way we would use the word plan. In the USA a person with a scheme is likely up to no good. The word may reference a plan in both countries, but in the US schemes are often seen in a negative light, criminal even.

There are a lot of confusing differences between the two countries language wise with phrases often having meanings 180 degrees apart. I don't know enough about English in Britain to even comment on her usage, I do know enough not to criticize what is in effect another dialect.

Beyond that, the little bit I've heard of her so far indicates to me that she is probably far smarter than most of the people posting here as grammar Nazis.
post #55 of 78
Quote:

I don't mean this remotely in a sexist way -- perhaps its just reflective of my shallowness, more than anything else -- but its nice to have someone attractive-looking in Apple's senior management.

Ive comes close, but not quite..... the rest (Cook, Oppenheimer, Frederighi, Shiller) are not exactly easy on the eye.:) 

post #56 of 78
New plaid iMacs?

Where's the new Apple TV?

And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...

Where's the new Apple TV?

And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
post #57 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

New plaid iMacs?
You do realize she removed the famous plad from 90% of Burberry products?
post #58 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I don't mean this remotely in a sexist way -- perhaps its just reflective of my shallowness, more than anything else -- but its nice to have someone attractive-looking in Apple's senior management.

Ive comes close, but not quite..... the rest (Cook, Oppenheimer, Frederighi, Shiller) are not exactly easy on the eye.:) 

I believe Federighi is an attractive man, particularly with his hair and smile. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And in this arena, it is more about charisma than looks. On that front, advantage Federighi again.

post #59 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You do realize she removed the famous plad from 90% of Burberry products?

In haste to copy and paste this observation from elsewhere, I think (methinks?) you've misinterpreted the connotation.

post #60 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It isn't even clear that it is a mistake given her English background.

What is worst is people making all this noise about what they think is a grammar error in a speech. Anybody that has ever done public speaking has made errors during a speech. It is a fact of life. At least she didn't call the TB ports FireWire ports.

She's American.

Good point about speaking. In any case I bet her grasp of the English language is better than most posters on this forum.
post #61 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

She's American.

Good point about speaking. In any case I bet her grasp of the English language is better than most posters on this forum.

That makes sense. After all, the expertise of most posters is in either experts in product design or accounting, as indicated by the posts. 

post #62 of 78
Is Tim Cook thinking about grooming her as his successor?

You never know...
post #63 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

[I don't mean this remotely in a sexist way -- perhaps its just reflective of my shallowness, more than anything else -- but its nice to have someone attractive-looking in Apple's senior management.

Ive comes close, but not quite..... the rest (Cook, Oppenheimer, Frederighi, Shiller) are not exactly easy on the eye.1smile.gif

I'd say Federighi's pretty good looking. He's the kind of guy even a straight guy could fall for. Look at this picture, he could be on one of the Just for Men boxes:

Apple events typically don't have female speakers, even when it comes to outside companies. It's important here to have a level of confidence that shows you are in control of the stage. That quality doesn't come across with Angela in the videos posted earlier. It's not really important about gender or race when it comes to who's holding what positions. Marissa Mayer from Yahoo was asked about being a woman in tech and she said it's more about being a geek.

Without realising it, it's the people who focus on gender and race as qualifiers all the time that are being discriminatory because in order for a guy to hold a high position, they are judged by people on the outside on merit; for a woman, they are judged on gender. For those people, a lack of women always implies misogyny - in other words, it's not that enough women aren't high achievers, it's that there's discrimination. The fact is a lot of women prefer being mothers to being in business and this lowers the number of women at the top.

It always looks better to have a mix of gender and race but it should never be done just for the sake of it. When you do, you end up with a Sony advert:

You've got an old white guy with a younger Asian woman, a mixed race son and daughter and some friends of other races come over. It checks most of the boxes for being all-inclusive of race, age, and gender but it ends up looking like an uncommon situation. Angela has held a lot of high positions and the good thing about it isn't that she's overcome any discrimination, it's the fact that she's put in the effort to get where she is. I do think that people place too much importance on the roles of the people at the top though, a company's success comes from the entire staff team. Hopefully she won't just come in, cut down on staff to try and boost profits to walk away with a large bonus.

The stores could do with giving customers more confidence in the service like guarantees over repairs. It may not happen often but a few people have had to deal with Mac repairs that take weeks. This is a terrible service for someone who relies on a computer for business and they could have guarantees that if they can't fix the machine in 3 days or so, they give you a temporary replacement to use.
post #64 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by zogzog View Post

Is Tim Cook thinking about grooming her as his successor?

You never know...

Got no problem with that, as long as she passes this interview question:

"Would you hire John Browett to run Apple Retail?"

Acceptable answers: "No"

Unacceptable answers: "Maybe" and "Yes, I did in fact do just that."

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #65 of 78
So we'll be seeing a whole bunch of chavs walking around with iPads?
post #66 of 78
Quote:

I'd say Federighi's pretty good looking. He's the kind of guy even a straight guy could fall for. Look at this picture, he could be on one of the Just for Men boxes:

There is a difference between considering a fellow man attractive and falling for him. You sound confused. But that's ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Without realising it, it's the people who focus on gender and race as qualifiers all the time that are being discriminatory because in order for a guy to hold a high position, they are judged by people on the outside on merit; for a woman, they are judged on gender. For those people, a lack of women always implies misogyny - in other words, it's not that enough women aren't high achievers, it's that there's discrimination. The fact is a lot of women prefer being mothers to being in business and this lowers the number of women at the top.

Misogyny and discrimination are not the same. Stereotyping (what you are doing) is yet another thing. You sound confused. And this is not ok.
Quote:

You've got an old white guy with a younger Asian woman, a mixed race son and daughter and some friends of other races come over. It checks most of the boxes for being all-inclusive of race, age, and gender but it ends up looking like an uncommon situation. 

Just because he has grey hair doesn't make him much older; look carefully. Mixed families are not uncommon situations. You sound confused. 

Quote:

The stores could do with giving customers more confidence in the service like guarantees over repairs. It may not happen often but a few people have had to deal with Mac repairs that take weeks. This is a terrible service for someone who relies on a computer for business and they could have guarantees that if they can't fix the machine in 3 days or so, they give you a temporary replacement to use.

This is hardly the first thing that comes to mind when one considers what Ms. Ahrendts needs to hit the ground running to do. You sound confused. :)

Just pulling your leg ... a little. But, seriously, you should reconsider what you wrote about how women are perceived. That is a very, very dated view that you should not espouse openly in situations where you are known. 

post #67 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Misogyny and discrimination are not the same. Stereotyping (what you are doing) is yet another thing.

Stereotyping who?
Quote:

Mixed families are not uncommon situations.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/27/mixed-race-america/?_r=0

"As a share of the total population, mixed-race Americans are still a tiny minority, just 2.9 percent, or about nine million people."

It makes some sense to do it in ads as they might run the same ads internationally but the situations they depict are not what I'd say is common. The point really is that evening the numbers of race or gender for the sake of it just doesn't fit with the real world and it's not necessarily an indicator of a problem when the numbers aren't balanced.
Quote:

you should reconsider what you wrote about how women are perceived. That is a very, very dated view

If you mean the part about how women are judged by some on gender, that still happens. When Browett was hired, nobody once said 'good to see another middle-aged white guy in the job'. You know why? For the same reason that nobody needs to say that it's good to see a woman in the job or a black or hispanic or someone of a different sexuality. It's good to see talented people in the roles, nothing else is relevant. That's what equality is about. What's dated is for people to keep going on about how there's not enough women in the highest job positions e.g CEO roles, SVP roles. These jobs roles are being filled by women in many companies across the world.

http://www.makers.com/marissa-mayer/moments/distance-feminism

Angela Ahrendts has been CEO and in executive positions at a number of companies already.
post #68 of 78

I wonder how much Apple has to pay for this person, after salaries and bonuses are issued. There is no was she would have left such a high paying job and beeing chief of her own village without a pay increase that probably rivals Cook's.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #69 of 78
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
I wonder how much Apple has to pay for this person, after salaries and bonuses are issued. There is no was she would have left such a high paying job and beeing chief of her own village without a pay increase that probably rivals Cook's.

“Do you want to sell handbags for the rest of your life, or do you want to change the world?”

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #70 of 78
Quote:

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/27/mixed-race-america/?_r=0

"As a share of the total population, mixed-race Americans are still a tiny minority, just 2.9 percent, or about nine million people."

I challenge that stat. Black Americans make up more 2.9% of the population. Most self-identify as African-American but a significant percentage are in fact mixed.

Then you have many folks with mixed European backgrounds who are simply labeled as caucasian, not to mention Asians of similarly mixed heritage who are simply labeled as such.

Simply said, there is no chance in hell or on Earth that only 2.9% of the American population are of mixed backgrounds. No chance.

post #71 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

“Do you want to sell handbags for the rest of your life, or do you want to change the world?”

Your asking a girl that? Besides she's the head of retail, what ground breaking things is she going to come up with that will change anyones lives except those at Apple. Her job is to raise revenues, not find the cure for something.

post #72 of 78
Quote:

I challenge that stat. Black Americans make up more 2.9% of the population. Most self-identify as African-American but a significant percentage are in fact mixed.

Then you have many folks with mixed European backgrounds who are simply labeled as caucasian, not to mention Asians of similarly mixed heritage who are simply labeled as such.

Simply said, there is no chance in hell or on Earth that only 2.9% of the American population are of mixed backgrounds. No chance.

It really depends on your PoV. Do we just use what people identify with culturally or do we use a more scientific approach? Even the US President is seen as "a black man" despite having a white mother. We've heard for years that Barack Obama is the first black US president but how often do you hear him referred to as the 44th* white president of the US?

* Technically, since Grover Cleveland serves two non-consecutive terms Barack Obama is only the 43rd person to serve despite being the 44th president.
post #73 of 78
Quote:

...what ground breaking things is she going to come up with that will change anyones lives except those at Apple

You are asking this of an Apple employee? Many of Apple's concepts changes lives of many people. Hardware is obvious, but also retail, how people market and price goods and services. There are many areas in which Apple influences people's decisions. I think she is a great addition to the team and I very much look forward to seeing what she brings to the table; Apple retail table that is :) 

post #74 of 78
Your asking a girl that?

Now that you mention it, that’s an awesome pickup line.

post #75 of 78
Quote:

Now that you mention it, that’s an awesome pickup line.

"Come with me if you want to live!" hasn't been working out for you?
post #76 of 78
"Come with me if you want to live!" hasn't been working out for you?

The girls are getting younger; they haven’t seen Terminator these days.

If I go to work at Apple, I’ll be able to use the ol’ Zaphod Beeblebrox, though… “D’you wanna see my spaceship?”

post #77 of 78
Quote:

“D’you wanna see my spaceship?”

Yes, yes I do, I was beamed up twice last night by Scotty, and it was wonderful. These space jockey's can be kind of full of themselves though, Scotty kept saying that he was the aforementioned export on heavenly bodies and that he would help me find and destroy a black hole. Psssttt, yeah okay, do you know how big the rocket would have to be to do that. I'm not that dumb.

Edited by Relic - 10/16/13 at 1:53pm
post #78 of 78
Quote:

I was taught a simple rule in grade school. Does it sound right when you remove the other person from the sentence. IOW, "My husband and I enjoy tea." and "My husband and me enjoy tea." both sound fine to the ear, but only "I enjoy tea." sounds correct. "Me enjoy tea." just a doesn't work.

Bingo.  I'm surprised how many people get that wrong.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's new retail chief was Britain's highest paid CEO, saw sales at Burberry triple