or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces Oct. 22 iPad event: 'We still have a lot to cover'

Apple announces Oct. 22 iPad event: 'We still have a lot to cover' - Page 2

post #41 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Gregory View Post

Anyone care to speculate as to if the mini will always lag behind the standard iPad as far as CPU/GPU, display and RAM goes? If there are similar specs vs the screen size I wonder if the price point can be kept where it is...
I'm guessing we see an A6 and no retina as crazy as that sounds.  I suppose we could see an A6X/Retina- that would be fine too- but I'm hoping for an A7 with Retina- even if that demands a price increase to anywhere between $349-$399.

I am hoping that Apple just jumps head-first into the 64 bit world.  Particularly since iOS 7 is developed for it.  I would be a little disappointed if the mini only had an A6/A6X- although I'd still buy it.

I agree totally that Apple should jump on the 64-bit A7X opportunity for all new iPads and AppleTV. This will give them a year lead, minimum, over the competition... By then, it may be too little, too late!    I hope that the only consideration is A7X price -- not supply constraints.   Apple can afford reduced margins to gain first-to-market advantages.

A7X iPad Minis and A7X AppleTVs could be the breakthrough gaming and content streaming offering that takes AppleTV out of "hobby" status.

'Boom!'
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #42 of 115
So Apple rented out Yerba Buena to unveil.... Smart Covers!
post #43 of 115
We still have a lot to cover
post #44 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

So Apple rented out Yerba Buena to unveil.... Smart Covers!

And on the fashion front, we're announcing the fabulous, flirtatious new Apple SmartyPants. Whether you're on the go, or just spending an afternoon curling up with a good e-book...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #45 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayder View Post

hmmm... "cover"? keyboard cover?

Kickstand too- Oh please oh please

Where's the new Apple TV?

post #46 of 115

"A lot to cover"

I think this refers to they have a lot more pixels to cover for the new retina iPad mini. It could also mean a 12" iPad. It could also mean a new 4K Retina Cinema Display, on and on and on and on......

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

post #47 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

OMGROFLMAO!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #48 of 115
Quote:

Ahhh... Ughhh...

Brings back memories... As a lad of 16, I went to a strip joint and saw a 5'6" 350 lb woman strip...

It's like a car accident or a fire -- no matter how bad it is, you just can't help watching!

FWIW, the girl looked like the one that is second from the right.
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #49 of 115

Smart Cover, Retina Display (more pixels), larger iPad (more surface) ....

What will Apple be covering more of?

Perhaps they will be covering more ... products.

post #50 of 115

Come on guys, it's obvious. At the WWDC keynote Tim Cook said they had a lot of other stuff they didn't have time to go over.

We all know there's the new iPad, Mini, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro along with the possibility of an Apple TV or iWatch. Having a lot to cover simply means they have a lot of things to show us in terms of number of products.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #51 of 115
Here it comes: the 6.5" iPhone 6 with 8-core Exynos and NFC. Also, everything that Ming-Chi Kuo Claus promised us for Xmas /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #52 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Next year will likely see the arrival of a larger iPad. Holding off until then.

The rumor mill has done its job: neutralizing Apple's sales with unsubstantiated future "promises." Now Apple just has to do what the rumor mill posted. Still waiting for the so-called "iPhone Mini" from 2009.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #53 of 115
"a lot to cover"?
1. an iCloud update is in the making, maybe we will get 50GB for free, and more to come.
2. iPad would have more pixels?
exciting. iPad 5th gen, iPad mini 2, and MacBook Pro are all I want for this holiday season.
post #54 of 115
I think "a lot" could mean a larger sized iPad, or just that they have more than iPads to cover, which aligns with Cook's comments on a new product category coming this fall. I think the leaves along with "cover" indicate that they may introduce a smart cover that recharges the iPad via solar power, perhaps using induction, but most likely not due to the lack of efficiency.
post #55 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Gregory View Post

As far as the fingerprint ID tech, being that you could use the iPad in either mode (vs a phone which tends to be portrait) the tech would have to be able to recognize your print from all four angles. I'm sure if they include the sensor on the iPad it WILL be smart enough to do this.

You do realize that Touch ID on the iPhone 5s works in any direction right? Why wouldn't it work the same on the iPad?
post #56 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Come on guys, it's obvious. At the WWDC keynote Tim Cook said they had a lot of other stuff they didn't have time to go over.

We all know there's the new iPad, Mini, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro along with the possibility of an Apple TV or iWatch. Having a lot to cover simply means they have a lot of things to show us in terms of number of products.

Exactly.  It means they won't just be showing off one new product.  If (which I doubt) any kind of actual cover is featured as the highlight we've got a real problem.

The could have announced "we've got a grab bag of random announcements to make" but that didn't fit on the invitation.

post #57 of 115
Quote:

Gahhhh!!!! Can't unsee!!!!

post #58 of 115
It's easy... Leaves... falling... fall... picking apples... AppleCider!

Apple is starting a line of hard apple cider!!
post #59 of 115

I heard that one analyst said that 'lot' refers to the parking lot at the convention center.  They have 'a lot' to cover.

They will be covering the entire parking lot in iPads, MacPro's, iPhone's etc.

First come, first serve basis, help yourself. 64 item limit per person!

Go!

post #60 of 115

I'm guessing it's the obvious that Apple is talking about in a lot to cover.  A lot of products, that is.  New iPad, iPad mini, MacBook Pro's, Mac Pro, Cinema Display, Mavericks release.

We've already seen the new iPad covers, nothing new or stunning there.  I doubt Apple has figured out a larger iPad, but maybe.  Not sure they need to offer that up - yet.  They can talk up A7 processor and fingerprint scanner and new screens (IGZO maybe) and these things along would be worthwhile for a keynote.  But we'll also hear about the new MacBook's and maybe even the Pro and new ACD too.  It's going to be a long presentation.

post #61 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larz2112 View Post

Where I grew up we called that thing a "leaf", as in "the leaf doesn't fall far from the tree".

Actually the saying is "the apple never falls far from the tree". But you're right that is a leaf.
post #62 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

Almost every Apple event announcement includes a "hint" of what will be presented, as you surely know. You are suggesting that, for the first time, we should take a phrase like this literally. Good luck with that.

Last year's event was 'we've got a little more to show you':

That was for the iPad mini. This event could have a larger iPad but it doesn't seem very likely to me.
post #63 of 115
Who wrote this article?! Stem? It's not the stem, the apple logo has no stem, the design features the leaf from the apple logo.
post #64 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Invite

The invitation features the top of the Apple logo, focusing on its "stem."

It's s leaf, not a stem.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #65 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

A chap at work is using a Surface Pro as his only work computer now.  At first I felt sympathy for him (!), but he's extremely satisfied with it.  This is a very successful guy by the way, in a very senior position of a very high tech software company, so when he tells me it's a good work solution, I'm happy to believe him.

Playing around with it myself, the keyboard really did make a difference.  I love my iPad, and would probably be able to make it work as my primary work device, but I need a decent keyboard, and I've just not found a Bluetooth option for the iPad that I especially like.

And to me, that's the difference.  For all practical purposes, the surface is esentially a mini laptop with a touch screen.

But I understand exactly what you are saying regarding the iPad +bluetooth keyboard.

Honestly, I would much rather have a bluetooth->USB adapter where I could plug in my own keyboard of choice.

post #66 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Last year's event was 'we've got a little more to show you':

That was for the iPad mini. This event could have a larger iPad but it doesn't seem very likely to me.

Yeah, note "little," prefiguring the Mini.

The hint in this one is "cover," or the phrase "lot to cover." I don't think the hint is the word "still," unless it is a reference to tracking your bio data while moving or still.

Cover = coverage? DirectTV style satellite TV?

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Macintosh 512Ke.......

post #67 of 115
There are a slew out there, and I'll bet my bottom dollar a bunch of those reviewers panning iPad vs whatever that RT / Pro thing was for lack of a keyboard had one or more evaluation gimme samples of the very cover they were opining for.

It's not just a keyboard cover -- there is going to be "more" underneath, probably both screen-wise and A7-wise.

I like the new cover colors, though. I hope they fit my current pad.
Edited by VicAustin - 10/15/13 at 12:40pm
post #68 of 115
"'We still have a lot to cover'" Well, maybe a larger iPad? Anyway as usual it will be interesting.
27" iMac, i7 2.8G CPU, 16 GB, 2TB Hd, Radeon HD 4850,  MacBookPro 13",  iPad2 64Gb, 2 x  iPhone4S 32Gb, 1 x 64Gb iPhone5S, 1Tb TimeCap,  2 x Apple TV.   Got my AAPL when they were $12.50 each.
27" iMac, i7 2.8G CPU, 16 GB, 2TB Hd, Radeon HD 4850,  MacBookPro 13",  iPad2 64Gb, 2 x  iPhone4S 32Gb, 1 x 64Gb iPhone5S, 1Tb TimeCap,  2 x Apple TV.   Got my AAPL when they were $12.50 each.
post #69 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Smart Cover, Retina Display (more pixels), larger iPad (more surface) ....

What will Apple be covering more of?

Perhaps they will be covering more ... products.
Thank you for a sensible reply, finally.
post #70 of 115
New iPad leather back covers that need to be returned in a week like the colored 5s ones because they stain so easily?

post #71 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

OBVIOUSLY the Mac Pro is available in all the colors in the invite.
Because wearables cover nothing? Because they still have a ton of promised products to release this year? 
Or the other macs they mention. I think the pro for business is least likely of all there devices to be wanted in color. I figure the new Mac book pro might, and the mini. Hope the 6tg gen full IPad is a major improvement since it's been a year and a half.
post #72 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I'm guessing we see an A6 and no retina as crazy as that sounds.  I suppose we could see an A6X/Retina- that would be fine too- but I'm hoping for an A7 with Retina- even if that demands a price increase to anywhere between $349-$399.
I really think Apple will seize the day and go 64 bit on all pads. It would be a huge win for them going into the shopping season and really all through most of next year.
Quote:
I am hoping that Apple just jumps head-first into the 64 bit world.  Particularly since iOS 7 is developed for it.  I would be a little disappointed if the mini only had an A6/A6X- although I'd still buy it.

I think they will also. 64 bits could be implemented in the Mini with reduced RAM (compared to the next iPad) and maybe without touch ID. I mention RAM because the one thing iPad needs more than a 64 bit chip is RAM. So I'm expecting someplace between 2 & 4 GB of RAM in the next full size iPad.
post #73 of 115

With the introduction of the new iPad and iPad mini there will be a lot of old iPads just stuffed into our junk drawers or worse yet dumped in the trash. I wanted to help the environment by recycling my old device so I checked Gazelle and got a pretty good offer. After some further research I found a Charity in West Palm Beach FL that is doing the same thing as Gazelle but using the proceeds from their business to help people in need. Looks pretty good to me. Here's the link sell.rebootcharity.org.

post #74 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

A chap at work is using a Surface Pro as his only work computer now.  At first I felt sympathy for him (!), but he's extremely satisfied with it.  This is a very successful guy by the way, in a very senior position of a very high tech software company, so when he tells me it's a good work solution, I'm happy to believe him.

Playing around with it myself, the keyboard really did make a difference.  I love my iPad, and would probably be able to make it work as my primary work device, but I need a decent keyboard, and I've just not found a Bluetooth option for the iPad that I especially like.
You know Steve Balmer?
post #75 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

"A lot to cover"????

Maybe I am out of my mind, or obsessed with this issue, but that sounds a lot like wearables to me.

In that case, Phil Schiller has the most to cover.:p 

post #76 of 115

"We've got a lot to cover"... The obvious double meaning: iPads (because of the SmartCovers) and there will a lot of stuff talked about. 

New iWork software? New GarageBand? New Logic for iPad? New games?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #77 of 115

Do the leaves in the background refer only to a fall/autumn event or is it something more? And does cover refer to iPad covers? There will be an even bigger clue in there somewhere... "leaves" is also another name for "pages"

post #78 of 115
iCondoms?

post #79 of 115
Hi everyone! New here.

I long for a MacBook Pro Retina with Wi-Fi /ac-standard an 16 Gb RAM in the 13" model.

I also wish Apple would release iPad Mini with Retina and with European LTE-bands (like they did with 5S and 5C). Hopefully with AX7 processor and Tounch ID.

I work a lot with photos and love my Retina Mac / but what about the pixels in all other Mac sreens? They suck. And what anout /ac-standard i Mac, execpt from Air and Time Capsule who already has that?

Gets 1000 Mbit/s down at home and have a new TC.
post #80 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

You know Steve Balmer?

No.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple announces Oct. 22 iPad event: 'We still have a lot to cover'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces Oct. 22 iPad event: 'We still have a lot to cover'