or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Facebook advertisers see 1,790% higher returns on iOS than Android
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Facebook advertisers see 1,790% higher returns on iOS than Android - Page 2

post #41 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

+1
Every Google hater claims android is all about advertising, yet apples users click on more ads?
Something smells here.
Who here has ever clicked on taking fb ad? I for one never have.

I just checked fb on my android phone, one suggested post every 20-60 regular posts and easily discernable as ads. Maybe ios fb has a lot more ads and people are clicking on them by mistake?

Um... no?

 

See posts #36 and #38 (esp. #38) above.

post #42 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Um... no?

See posts #36 and #38 (esp. #38) above.
Um, no.
Those posts make no sense.
post #43 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydbm4 View Post


I would love to know where you get this kind of bogus info?

Nike had the SDK and API ready for distribution last summer. Tim Cook is on Nike's board of directors. Guess who nixed the API in favor of Apple exclusivity? Take a wild guess.

BTW, it is the Nike+ Fuelband. Not 'fitband'. At least get the product name correct before going into derp mode.

Can you provide any proof to back your claim? A company's board of directors job is general in nature and seldom get involved in the product decisions.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #44 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Um... no?

See posts #36 and #38 (esp. #38) above.
Post 38 mentions poor android users in india/china.
Indian fb users are about 5% of population.
China is at 0.05% of population.
USA is about 50%

So fb ad revenue would not be significantly affected by poor android user's in India /china.
post #45 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Why would this be surprising? Most Android users are not 'smart phone' users. That is not a degradation towards them, but the fact that most of the Android market is 'Feature-Smart' where people want mostly just a phone, but opt for the larger screen. Price point, Android wins. For those wanting a Smart Phone to use as a smart phone was intended, buys Apple for the most part. 

Cheap phones will [probably] always be the vast majority, simply because most people just want a phone to make calls, text, and perhaps share photos. It will take another couple (2-3) generations before computing is done handheld by the masses. 

Are those devices still counted in this study if they aren't used as smartphones with the FB app, or used at all?
post #46 of 123
Most android users are jobless leeches who are losers in life .
post #47 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


I come across that as well with folks I know that bought their Android phones.  Most had the same line: "It was the cheapest phone they had".  Even with iPhones going for as low as $49, it doesn't matter... cheap or free will always prevail with these people.


That doesn't even bother me.  What's really shameful are the Android fanboys here and in other forums that continue ripping on any product/app that doesn't support Android and preaching to the world "These are missing out on 'millions' of Android customers by not making it work on Android" bull$h!t.


Simple truth.  The majority of Android users don't spend money.  I lost track of how many times I've read the exact same metrics over the years.  Fandroids know it, but don't want to acknowledge it.


Fandroids will simply say that "Well, Android users are smart with their money" or "iOS users are just a bunch of rich trust-fund kiddies that like wasting money", or the typical name-calling that they are so good at doing since they have no valid argument to debate with.


This just cracks me up.

Why are you worried about these welfare leeching Hyundai driving android idiots? It's called envy
post #48 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Can you provide any proof to back your claim? A company's board of directors job is general in nature and seldom get involved in the product decisions.

The way he worded his post tells you that he can't possibly prove it. It's merely something he wants to believe but has no proof to back it up. He presents you with the same, circumstantial evidence that he used to come to his decision and then includes a question as bait to see if you will magically come to the same unscientific conclusion, which he follows up with a statement that attempts to make you look stupid if you don't choose the obvious answer he'd framed up. If you don't take the bait and present an argument that destroys his fanciful desires then he can claim he never actually stated it. I'm hoping my post will get him to commit to it.
post #49 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by moooooser View Post

Slight math correction for the author:  One order of magnitude means 10x.  Two orders of magnitude means 100x.  While the ~18x is certainly a very, very impressive number, it is not even close to being "nearly two orders of magnitude higher".  When I see this type of error in the mainstream media (especially prevalent on CNN) I usually just ignore it.  But I've come to respect some of the in-depth reporting from this site, so it pains me to see it here.  Hopefully this comment is construed as helpful as opposed to snarky.  Cheers!

Regardless, point is ios destroys android again
post #50 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealCBONE View Post

First, seriously? Someone actually clicks on stupid Facebook ads? iOS users click on them like they've got the antidote or something. That's what needs to get answered: Why the F are they clicking on stupid Facebook ads in the first place?

There u go, cheap ass android user
post #51 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydbm4 View Post
 

anyone that throws a ROM on their Android device usually has ad blocking built in.

Well. this line surely made me giggled. Talks about someone who has nothing better to do in life. Throwing a ROM on a PHONE!?! WTF?

post #52 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
I didn't know Nike only had one board member and the CEO of Nike can't make a decision on his own.

Everything is conspiracy, you know. How else can a respectable company ignore such a respectable OS even if all the data in the world showing otherwise? Makes me giggle every time seeing how stupid these people can be.

post #53 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Well. this line surely made me giggled. Talks about someone who has nothing better to do in life. Throwing a ROM on a PHONE!?! WTF?

When you live with your MOM
And your girlfriend's your PALM
You have plenty of free time
To play with a ROM.
post #54 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealCBONE View Post
 

Do you really believe that he couldn't influence the other board members or CEO in any mutually beneficial way, or that Nike stayed iOS only out of the goodness of their hearts and their love for all things Apple?

So the Next Web magazine pulled out of Android because of what? Who's in Apple is on the board of the Next Web? or the Next Web doing this out of their love for Apple? You guys crack me up! Keep up the good work!


Edited by matrix07 - 10/16/13 at 9:57pm
post #55 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Android users don't spend money on anything other than their collection of phones with outdated OS's.

 


Fixed that for you...
post #56 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydbm4 View Post


I would love to know where you get this kind of bogus info?

Nike had the SDK and API ready for distribution last summer. Tim Cook is on Nike's board of directors. Guess who nixed the API in favor of Apple exclusivity? Take a wild guess.

BTW, it is the Nike+ Fuelband. Not 'fitband'. At least get the product name correct before going into derp mode.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


Spin in all you like but the average Fandroid doesn't install ad blockers or adds a custom ROM.
Thats a good one. So Andrea Jung is on Apple's board so I guess Avon used to get exclusive beauty apps on the iPhone.

I didn't know Nike only had one board member and the CEO of Nike can't make a decision on his own.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealCBONE View Post
 

Do you really believe that he couldn't influence the other board members or CEO in any mutually beneficial way, or that Nike stayed iOS only out of the goodness of their hearts and their love for all things Apple?


It's really funny to read how these guys are spinning it.  They refuse to even entertain the notion that Nike booted Android out simply because of ROI reasons.  No.  It HAD to be a shadow-meeting in a board room between Cook and the CEO.  Of course in this case they can say that without providing any proof that board of directors can tell a CEO how to market its products.

I read about Nike's booting of Android due to support reasons from various Android-centric sites.

post #57 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealCBONE View Post

Do you really believe that he couldn't influence the other board members or CEO in any mutually beneficial way, or that Nike stayed iOS only out of the goodness of their hearts and their love for all things Apple?

Hey genius, if there's money to be made Nike would have release it for Android. Unless Apple is paying for exclusivity (doubtful), no company would not develop for a viable platform. Android isn't viable for Devs because many can't make money off Android.
post #58 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Hey genius, if there's money to be made Nike would have release it for Android. Unless Apple is paying for exclusivity (doubtful), no company would not develop for a viable platform. Android isn't viable for Devs because many can't make money off Android.

If true... that's really sad.

Android has something like 80% of the market... while iOS only has 11%

It seems like Android's phenomenal market share isn't really an advantage.
post #59 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post


If true...

 

It's not.  ;)

post #60 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

It's not.  1wink.gif

Phew... that's a relief

1biggrin.gif
post #61 of 123

I don't find these figures a surprise. When you consider Apple only sell flagship mobile devices but Android comes in both really cheap devices and flagship. It makes sense that people who buy flagship will spend more money on apps etc than cheap phone users.

 

The cheap device users who just want a cheap phone will bring down the average clicks per 1000 adverts. An interesting figure would be to compare just using Android flagship figures.

post #62 of 123
Where can I get some of that "negative ROI"?

Can I get it at a discount?
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #63 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydbm4 View Post
 

Between UA, ad blocking, custom ROMs and Apple webkit, the short answer is: 'sort of'.

Bwa-hahahahahahaha !!! yup, EVERY droid dork out there is loading custom ROMS and webkits to tweak their droid dork phone!!!

 

yeah, thats it!!

we can all go log-outnow, its been solved

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply
post #64 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealCBONE View Post
 

Do you really believe that he couldn't influence the other board members or CEO in any mutually beneficial way, or that Nike stayed iOS only out of the goodness of their hearts and their love for all things Apple?

Actually they must have done it because they couldn't afford a 100+ dev team to constantly update their app to try and beat fragmentation in android.

post #65 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post


+1
Every Google hater claims android is all about advertising, yet apples users click on more ads?
Something smells here.
Who here has ever clicked on taking fb ad? I for one never have.

I just checked fb on my android phone, one suggested post every 20-60 regular posts and easily discernable as ads. Maybe ios fb
has a lot more ads and people are clicking on them by mistake?

Also consider a lot of Android users may be using Google plus instead of fb.

look.

They say "google gets most of it's revenue from advertising"

apple users click on more ads only means "apple users are main reason for googles revenue" or something along those lines.

post #66 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Where can I get some of that "negative ROI"?

Can I get it at a discount?

Could it be the same as 103% of all profit ¿
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #67 of 123

I have a few apps in the App Store, churning along, most of my money is from the Mac dev day job. But it all helps. Everytime I show them off to Android owners they ask when will I port 'em, or why I haven't I yet. Did I know that the market was huge?

 

I reply with one question and one statement.

 

the question is:

 

1) How many apps have you paid for?

 

the statement is

 

2) I am not a charity.

 

The answer to 1) is always 0.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #68 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post


Post 38 mentions poor android users in india/china.
Indian fb users are about 5% of population.
China is at 0.05% of population.
USA is about 50%

So fb ad revenue would not be significantly affected by poor android user's in India /china.

Thats true, it means that even in rich countries Android users don't pay for shit.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #69 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post


If true... that's really sad.

Android has something like 80% of the market... while iOS only has 11%

It seems like Android's phenomenal market share isn't really an advantage.

Correction on Facts:

 

Apple was about 18% of worldwide sales last Quarter, but that is not the installed base for all Phones. And the iOS market includes the iPod touch and the iPad. Nevertheless Apple users clearly both pay for apps more readily, click to ads more readily and buy from those ads more readily ( thats where a lot of the money comes from, FB probably tracks what is bought).

 

This is good news for Apple, but they should ask why FB is taking them to lunch on advertising revenue on the iOS platform. I don't know why either, but FB is taking a lot of it. 

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #70 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post
 


Fandroids will simply say that "Well, Android users are smart with their money" or "iOS users are just a bunch of rich trust-fund kiddies that like wasting money", or the typical name-calling that they are so good at doing since they have no valid argument to debate with.

This just cracks me up.

Wow there must be a lot of trust fund babies in the world. If you think that was the case and in the US we have 99% complaining about the 1% with the money. Apple should only have 1% of the market share then since the 99% are not spending money like the 1% are or so they claim.

 

I put this way, most people who will buy cheap fail to understand quality and will be destine to always have no money since they have the buy the cheap product 10 times over since it breaks all the time. In the end they spend more and have lots of broken things lying around their place.

post #71 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post
 

 

 

 

 


It's really funny to read how these guys are spinning it.  They refuse to even entertain the notion that Nike booted Android out simply because of ROI reasons.  No.  It HAD to be a shadow-meeting in a board room between Cook and the CEO.  Of course in this case they can say that without providing any proof that board of directors can tell a CEO how to market its products.

I read about Nike's booting of Android due to support reasons from various Android-centric sites.


Where was the spin? You really think Tim Cook isn't a persuasive guy? You honestly think he couldn't get a quick 10 minutes with Phil Knight or Mark Parker to make an advantageous push? You think he doesn't have the clout or cash to throw Nike what amounts to a fraction of a bone for exclusivity that Apple would earn back 10-fold? There's no need for shadowy, backroom deals or to present some absurd scenario. Sometimes companies make decisions that aren't the best they could be (see Apple getting rid of Jobs, Ballmer having a job, BlackBerry still making devices, Nokia going Windows Phone, etc.). The Nike software isn't super complicated or computationally taxing with constant deep updates. They could easily have hired someone with Android experience and no problem making iOS and Android apps to make it with support for a handful of flagship Android phones (people with money only buy Android flagships and iPhones) and have the best of both worlds for almost nothing, but they didn't. There's no need for strawmen or moronic analogies when there is a simple explanation (and it's probably not Android is teh suck and they are poor, Apple rules because it's for smart, rich kids).

post #72 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post
 

Thats true, it means that even in rich countries Android users don't pay for shit.

No it means that Android users are less susceptible to click/purchase advertising than ios users.

I read a few different reports on this news and a few stats were given by Facebook Advertising team.

1. Men window shop/women buy (A far larger proportion of users who click/through/purchased via FB ads were women)

2. By far the larger proportion were in the older age category

3. By far the larger portion of purchases were for Apps

 

Do we deduce from this then that Android users are mostly young males who prefer free ad supported app versions, while ios users are made up of old women who like to pay for apps with no ads?

post #73 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

No it means that Android users are less susceptible to click/purchase advertising than ios users.
I read a few different reports on this news and a few stats were given by Facebook Advertising team.
1. Men window shop/women buy (A far larger proportion of users who click/through/purchased via FB ads were women)
2. By far the larger proportion were in the older age category
3. By far the larger portion of purchases were for Apps

Do we deduce from this then that Android users are mostly young males who prefer free ad supported app versions, while ios users are made up of old women who like to pay for apps with no ads?

Does it matter who is paying in terms of sex or age? The iPhone is hammering Android.

As for the young males who prefer "free ad supported" apps, that's true enough of younger males. But it also means that the apps advertising to them are wasted as they avoid all ads and don't spend.

No money in Android whichever way you look at it.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #74 of 123
Originally Posted by Lloydbm4 View Post
It is just much simpler to get analytics from iDevices.

 

Anything to back that statement up? Android devices are just as viewable.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #75 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
 

Actually they must have done it because they couldn't afford a 100+ dev team to constantly update their app to try and beat fragmentation in android.


Yes, because Nike couldn't figure out how to support their super complex (it's not), feature heavy (it isn't), computationally crippling (nope), Bluetooth software other than by throwing monkeys with typewriters at it. Why would they need to constantly update the app that ties into their expensive shoe and band product because some poor people outside of their target markets with what amounts to a pile of burner phones have an old version of Android? That's stupid. 

post #76 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post
 

I have a few apps in the App Store, churning along, most of my money is from the Mac dev day job. But it all helps. Everytime I show them off to Android owners they ask when will I port 'em, or why I haven't I yet. Did I know that the market was huge?

 

I reply with one question and one statement.

 

the question is:

 

1) How many apps have you paid for?

 

the statement is

 

2) I am not a charity.

 

The answer to 1) is always 0.


The question you should ask is: Would you pay for my app if it was out there?

 

Not: How many apps that suck have you paid for?

post #77 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Does it matter who is paying in terms of sex or age? The iPhone is hammering Android.

As for the young males who prefer "free ad supported" apps, that's true enough of younger males. But it also means that the apps advertising to them are wasted as they avoid all ads and don't spend.

No money in Android whichever way you look at it.

Right, that must explain why android adoption is so low then.

I have never (purposefully) clicked through and purchased via an in app ad on either platform. I do all my product research via pc/mac. I'd say that that's the same for most users.
post #78 of 123
I'm going to talk in name of all Android users: We don't care.
post #79 of 123
Originally Posted by bolo127 View Post
I'm going to talk in name of all Android users: We don't care.

 

You’re not the ones who are supposed to care. The people who make apps for your platform are.

 

Thanks for the pointless info.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #80 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolo127 View Post

I'm going to talk in name of all Android users: We don't care.

actually he does make a good point, he reconfirmed the research and data, Android users do not care so why try advertising to them, so make them pay for all their apps.

 

The issue for the developers and they know this, if you charge and do not use the advertising model to fund your development then some Chinese company will knock off your product and put it on the google store, market place or play store or what name of the day that google is using, for free and do not mind making a fraction of what the real developer need to live on.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Facebook advertisers see 1,790% higher returns on iOS than Android