or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon activated 3.9M iPhones in Q3 2013, up 26% from 2012

Verizon activated 3.9M iPhones in Q3 2013, up 26% from 2012

post #1 of 39
Verizon activated about 3.9 million iPhones in its third fiscal quarter of 2013, the carrier revealed on Thursday, representing more than half of its total smartphone activations.

iphone-5s-features-20130910.jpg

Verizon Chief Financial Officer Fran Shammo announced that the iPhone accounted for 51 percent of its 7.6 million total smartphone activations in the third quarter. That would place total iPhone activations for the three-month period at about 3.9 million.

In the same three-month period a year ago, Verizon activated 3.1 million total iPhones, meaning that Apple saw a 26 percent year-over-year growth through the largest carrier in the U.S.

With total smartphone activations up 12 percent year over year, that means Apple's iPhone outpaced the rest of the company's lineup by a significant margin. In the same quarter a year ago, Apple launched the iPhone 5, placing this year's performance in an equivalent quarter.

Unsurprisingly, Verizon also revealed that it faced iPhone shortages at the end of the third quarter, when Apple launched its new flagship iPhone 5s and mid-range iPhone 5c. The carrier did not offer details on sales of any specific iPhone model.

The carrier also revealed that iPhone upgraders are helping to drive its wireless data revenue higher. Verizon noted that a significant number of iPhone customers are now upgrading from 3G devices like the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S to Apple's 4G LTE devices like the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c, and LTE users tend to use more bandwidth.

Smartphones continue to take an even larger share of Verizon's total subscribers, growing to 67 percent in the third quarter. That was up from 64 percent of Verizon's postpaid customer base in the preceding quarter. More than 40 percent of its customers are also now on shared data plans.

Apple will report its own earnings for the company's fourth quarter of fiscal 2013 in a few weeks, on Oct. 28. The quarter will represent just over a week of sales of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c, which moved 9 million units in their launch weekend.
post #2 of 39
I'm sure the media will find a way to spin this in a negative way. Probably focus on the flat sequential growth.
post #3 of 39
More signs Apple is in trouble. /s
post #4 of 39

Doomed zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

post #5 of 39

I wish they'd break down the numbers.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #6 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Have they ever broken down numbers by model? If Apple doesn't do it no way would a reseller.
post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Have they ever broken down numbers by model? If Apple doesn't do it no way would a reseller.

Let me say it again.

Now, look at your reply. If I had said "should' as in, They should break down the numbers, then your reply makes sense.

Just wanted to point that out.

I also wish Apple would break down the numbers.

You probably wish they'd all break down the numbers too.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #8 of 39
So I have to assume that the vast majority of the billions of Android phones sold every three seconds are bought to use as paper weights
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #9 of 39

I wish they’d break down the lies erected by Google and tell us about the effing Android phones on every carrier.

Heck, give us a snapshot of NETWORK INFORMATION to see what these phones are even DOING.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #10 of 39
iPhone great news

* 26% increase Year On Year AND at HIGHER MARGINS than last year

* They could have sold even more, but for supply constraints for the 5S

Looking forward to seeing their earnings for last quarter.
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The carrier also revealed that iPhone upgraders are helping to drive its wireless data revenue higher. Verizon noted that a significant number of iPhone customers are now upgrading from 3G devices like the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S to Apple's 4G LTE devices like the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c, and LTE users tend to use more bandwidth.

An iPhone, or any other device, can only use the "bandwidth" available to it from the carrier.  But the user can transmit or recieve as much data as wanted.  Or that they can afford.  LTE moves data faster therefore allowing the movement of more data in a given period of time.  If that spurs the user to move more data because of the greater satisfaction derived from that speed then the carrier would profit.  LTE users use more "bandwidth" as they do not have a choice unless LTE is turned off in the device.

I hope that is not to technical for AppleInsider reporters.

post #12 of 39
Quote:

Let me say it again.

Now, look at your reply. If I had said "should' as in, They should break down the numbers, then your reply makes sense.

Just wanted to point that out.

I also wish Apple would break down the numbers.

You probably wish they'd all break down the numbers too.
No I don't wish Apple to break down the numbers. No reason to give competitors that kind of information. Honestly I don't get why people are so obsessed with 5C sales figures. Why is it so important for the world to know this?
post #13 of 39
Originally Posted by 2old4fun View Post

An iPhone, or any other device, can only use the “bandwidth” available to it from the carrier. LTE users use more "bandwidth" as they do not have a choice unless LTE is turned off in the device.

Okay, but in connecting to the network, is the band on which LTE is pushed required to be a wider range on a single device than 3G? 

For example, a single device would tune to 700.xxxMHz or something because there’s another device at 700.xxyMHz, but is the range (leeway, whatever you want to call it) larger when connecting to LTE than it is 3G?

Or am I totally off base here? :p

post #14 of 39
Quote:

Why? So you can declare the 5c an epic fail because it isn't what YOU declared it should be?

post #15 of 39

A device that is going to move 10 megabits of data that can move the data at a rate of 1 megabit per second will be connected for 10 seconds.  If it can move the data at 10 megabits per second then it will be connected for one second, allowing more devices to connect and move data.

post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I wish they’d break down the lies erected by Google and tell us about the effing Android phones on every carrier.

Heck, give us a snapshot of NETWORK INFORMATION to see what these phones are even DOING.

It's not necessarily lying, it's just a matter of presenting the world the numbers you want them to see.

One can not deny the fact that the sum of all Android handsets, regardless of version, is greater than the sum of all iPhones.

It's when you start digging a bit deeper that a clearer picture emerges on the health of any one ecosystem.

For example, Android has 80% marketshare and Apple only 14% means very little if you don't drill down a bit into what all this means.

For example, Android handsets are available through most of the world's major carriers. iPhones aren't (think China mobile or any of India's carriers). Good analysis depends on the analyst drilling through this kind of data and refusing to go out on a limb until all of the data has been taken into account.

As for tech publications, Appleinsider included, most of the postings are the same tired old rehashed arguments.

Only DED tries to make some sense of all this data. He may not always be right but his postings on this site are the ones truly worth reading IMO.

post #17 of 39
Note that Verizon activations are not all new sales. Some number of those activated phones are passed down or used resales. Not sure why Verizon doesn't announce actual device sales tho it could be for simple competitive reasons.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Why? So you can declare the 5c an epic fail because it isn't what YOU declared it should be?

Hmmm... I haven't done that yet, why would you think I will do it now.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #19 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Note that Verizon activations are not all new sales. Some number of those activated phones are passed down or used resales. Not sure why Verizon doesn't announce actual device sales tho it could be for simple competitive reasons.

The spin doctor is in!!!
post #20 of 39
Quote:

No I don't wish Apple to break down the numbers. No reason to give competitors that kind of information. Honestly I don't get why people are so obsessed with 5C sales figures. Why is it so important for the world to know this?

Well, people who have invested heavily in AAPL will want some form of barometer on how well Apple is doing, and, probably more importantly, how well Tim Cook is doing.

The 5c seems to be a new strategy for Apple under Cook and they want to know that it is working. if it doesn't seem to be working then they will move onto the next thing, the new iPads. If there is a change in strategy there as well then they'll be watching it. If it does really well then Cook might get a pass (that is based on the assumption that investors feel the 5c isn't doing as well as they feel it should). If the new iPads don't do well... then... well, you get it.

Big investment houses hate change. It makes them all twitchy. The 5c is a departure from the Apple norm. They are twitching.

For you and I it's just a game we play.

... but you know all that.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #21 of 39
Quote:

I don't see the relevance of Verizon announcing how well HW vendors did. It would be akin to stating how many tower equipment widgets or servers they bought that quarter. Since their profit center is subscribers that is the number that matters. In fact it's the subscribers that use recycled devices and/or are outside their 2 year contract that make them the most money since that expensive subsidy, especially with the iPhone and top tier Android devices, that earn them the least per month

I had to talk my roommate into getting a new iPhone to replace his iPhone 3GS. My argument was that the [US] carriers screw you everyday so when you an get them to fork over $450 subsidy to another company without affecting your monthly fees you do it.
Edited by akqies - 10/17/13 at 9:07am
post #22 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, we basically know how it's working out for HP, HTC and a few of the others. I don't think it's necessary to rub salt in their wounds. :lol:
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #23 of 39
Quote:

Why?  What would the numbers prove?

What if it was 30% 5c?  You would then yell from the mountain tops it is in the US only, and just one provider.

What if it was 15% 5c?  You would then yell from the mountain tops it is a failure- discounting any point you made previously about numbers being US only.

My point- you will use numbers to prove your agenda/point rather than take numbers for what they are.

Edit: Beat me to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

I don't see the relevance of Verizon announcing how well HW vendors did. It would be akin to stating how many tower equipment widgets or servers they bought that quarter. Since their profit center is subscribers that is the number that matters. In fact it's the subscribers that use recycled devices and/or are outside their 2 year contract that make them the most money since that expensive subsidy, especially with the iPhone and top tier Android devices, that earn them the least per month

I had to talk my roommate my roommate into getting a new iPhone to repce his iPhone 3GS. My argument was that the carriers screw you everyday so when you an get them to fork over $450 subsidy to another company without affecting your monthly fees you do it.

Perhaps that's one of the reasons that Verizon doesn't report smartphone sales numbers. Thanks.
post #25 of 39

What most people are missing is this: Android does not have a dominant marketshare of the Smartphone market, at best they are marginally ahead with iOS in the total number of smartphone users. What they do have however, is a dominant position in the glorified feature phone market. You get a lot of things like this. http://techsvault.com/samsung-sm-w2014-another-flip-phone-with-android/ and this http://www.intomobile.com/2013/10/17/5-android-flipphones-you-cant-buy-europe-and-us/. What the iphone numbers should be compared to are the likes of s4, htc one, lg g2, motorola droids, nexus, xperia, those are the lines of phone that competes with the iphone. If we did that, the numbers would not be so lopsided. There is a reason why the iphone kills in web usage even with android numbers being so much larger, the answer is simple, most are feature phone. That's where android is growing like wild fire, it is simply all feature phones are now shipping with android in them. http://venturebeat.com/2013/10/16/facebook-ad-profit-a-staggering-1790-more-on-iphone-than-android/. That is also the reason why most apps still launch on ios first despite those inflated android feature phone numbers.

post #26 of 39
Yep I was right. LA Times headline was "iPhone sales flat despite launch of 5S, 5C". Completely ignoring the YOY increase or that comparing back to back quarters usually isn't meaningful.
post #27 of 39
Quote:

Well, people who have invested heavily in AAPL will want some form of barometer on how well Apple is doing, and, probably more importantly, how well Tim Cook is doing.

The 5c seems to be a new strategy for Apple under Cook and they want to know that it is working. if it doesn't seem to be working then they will move onto the next thing, the new iPads. If there is a change in strategy there as well then they'll be watching it. If it does really well then Cook might get a pass (that is based on the assumption that investors feel the 5c isn't doing as well as they feel it should). If the new iPads don't do well... then... well, you get it.

Big investment houses hate change. It makes them all twitchy. The 5c is a departure from the Apple norm. They are twitching.

Considering Apple's stock has actually gone up since these 5C doom stories I don't think Wall Street cares all that much. Or they realize the 5C is a long tail play and not something Apple was expecting to be an immediate best seller. Most likely they're just happy the more expensive phone appears to be selling the best. 1wink.gif
post #28 of 39
Quote:

Apple has already public ally up guidance as they are required too. Really what more is needed here.
Quote:
A few in the investment community might fell as you describe above, but much of the noise you here about Apple and the 5c lately, is about stock manipulation which seems to have reached a all time high. Every real statistic we have seen so far indicates a very successful launch for Apple, so these attempts to color this success as a failure are at times rather humorous or worst despicable.
Quote:
I have to call baloney on this one too. If that was true at all they wouldn't invest in Apple, because in the end it took radical change for Apple to get to where it is now. Beyond that rational investors realize that remaining static is often a more miserable fate for a company. Honestly look at RIM or Nokia, they are the definition of what happens to companies that avoid change.
Quote:

What we are seeing lately isn't a game at all and can be very damaging to a company like Apple. Reporting news as fact when it comes out of somebodies ass is not ethical at all. The fact that there are gullible people willing to lap it up really says something not so nice about such people.
post #29 of 39
Quote:

Considering Apple's stock has actually gone up since these 5C doom stories I don't think Wall Street cares all that much. Or they realize the 5C is a long tail play and not something Apple was expecting to be an immediate best seller. Most likely they're just happy the more expensive phone appears to be selling the best. 1wink.gif

Let's look at this way, if the 5c was indeed a best seller then Apple really would have failed with the 5s launch. What Apple and frankly much of the industry wants is a very successful 5s launch to get the new technology on the market. Strong 5c sales might actually be seen as a negative in some corners, if it significantly impacts 5s sales. In the end I really think the obsession with 5c sales is more due to some people out there actively trying to find wrong with Apple so that they can either feel self important or use it for market manipulation.
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Apple has already public ally up guidance as they are required too. Really what more is needed here.
A few in the investment community might fell as you describe above, but much of the noise you here about Apple and the 5c lately, is about stock manipulation which seems to have reached a all time high. Every real statistic we have seen so far indicates a very successful launch for Apple, so these attempts to color this success as a failure are at times rather humorous or worst despicable.
I have to call baloney on this one too. If that was true at all they wouldn't invest in Apple, because in the end it took radical change for Apple to get to where it is now. Beyond that rational investors realize that remaining static is often a more miserable fate for a company. Honestly look at RIM or Nokia, they are the definition of what happens to companies that avoid change.
What we are seeing lately isn't a game at all and can be very damaging to a company like Apple. Reporting news as fact when it comes out of somebodies ass is not ethical at all. The fact that there are gullible people willing to lap it up really says something not so nice about such people.

Apple didn't up its guidance. Apple just let everyone know that earnings would be in the upper region of its earlier guidance.

I keep hearing this talk about stock manipulation. You'd think Apple was a penny mining play. Too many shares; too many shares traded daily; to many shares in the hands of big investment houses... for this to be out and out manipulation.

This launch was a failure? Oh boy. The 5s alone could keep Apple afloat for a long long time. I don't see anyone questioning the 5s and what it brings to the table.

You can't blame anyone for questioning the 5c strategy. It's a different play for Apple. Will it make a difference? Big question. I don't buy all this nonsense that the 5 would be harder to make. If that were the case then they would have slightly altered the 5s to make the case easier to produce.

As far as not investing in Apple at all because of the radical change of late... bingo! You got one. Exactly. Err on the side of caution is all I see. Be careful boys... she could tip over at any time. "Look at RIM!! Look at Nokia!!"... exactly the type of thinking I'm talking about.

Edited by island hermit - 10/17/13 at 4:15pm
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #31 of 39
Quote:

When Apple has to actually announce that they will be on the high side of guidance then you can imagine that there will be quite a bit of money that doesn't want to be left on the short side at the end of the month.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Why?  What would the numbers prove?

What if it was 30% 5c?  You would then yell from the mountain tops it is in the US only, and just one provider.

What if it was 15% 5c?  You would then yell from the mountain tops it is a failure- discounting any point you made previously about numbers being US only.

My point- you will use numbers to prove your agenda/point rather than take numbers for what they are.

Edit: Beat me to it!

Seems to me that you are the one making up numbers for your agenda. I have no agenda.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #33 of 39
Quote:

Error on the side of caution is all I see.

Just further proof you have no clue what you're talking about.

post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Error on the side of caution is all I see.

Quote:

Just further proof you have no clue what you're talking about.

This is the best thing about having a stalker... they point out your typos and then you can go back and correct them.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #35 of 39
Quote:

This is the best thing about having a stalker... they point out your typos and then you can go back and correct them.

Anytime sweetheart. And let's not pretend error was a "typo" for err.

post #36 of 39
Quote:

Anytime sweetheart. And let's not pretend error was a "typo" for err.

Sure, pumpkin.

[I like it when he gets so bossy]

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

The spin doctor is in!!!

If you think that that the difference between Verizon-announced activations and that of device sales is unimportant 9to5 put up an article this morning that makes it clearer.

"For the record, what Verizon announced was that 51 percent of its activations were iPhone, not 51 percent of its phone sales.

If you doubt the importance of this distinction, I have one word for you: T-Mobile. As of 11th April, the carrier had two million iPhone activations. Its iPhone sales as of the same date? Zero: T-Mobile didn’t start selling iPhones until the following day."
post #38 of 39
Quote:

If you think that that the difference between Verizon-announced activations and that of device sales is unimportant 9to5 put up an article this morning that makes it clearer.

"For the record, what Verizon announced was that 51 percent of its activations were iPhone, not 51 percent of its phone sales.

If you doubt the importance of this distinction, I have one word for you: T-Mobile. As of 11th April, the carrier had two million iPhone activations. Its iPhone sales as of the same date? Zero: T-Mobile didn’t start selling iPhones until the following day."

Same can be said about Android. Keep spinning. And we shouldn't be impressed by Google's activation numbers then.
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Same can be said about Android. Keep spinning. And we shouldn't be impressed by Google's activation numbers then.

How many Android smartphones did Verizon say they activated? The same would apply to those too tho I doubt the number of used activations would be as high as with iPhones. Common perception is that Android phones aren't passed down but just thrown in a drawer or the garbage.

Now if it's Google's stated activations you're referring to the numbers reportedly aren't sourced from carrier activations in the first place. Instead they rely on Google Services activations, with each unique Google Android device only counted once. Re-gifting doesn't count as another activation, nor do Amazon Kindle, Nook or forked Chinese Android devices. Google has no way of accurately counting those knock-offs.

Of course that isn't proof that those Google activation reports should necessarily be blindly trusted. There's a lot of big companies well-versed in word play. What one of them factually says vs. what we think they said or were reported to say may be wildly different.

In any event whatever Android numbers may really be has nothing to do with the iPhone numbers Verizon announced or what they meant by them.
Edited by Gatorguy - 10/18/13 at 9:43am
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon activated 3.9M iPhones in Q3 2013, up 26% from 2012