or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft launches official Remote Desktop app for Apple's iOS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft launches official Remote Desktop app for Apple's iOS

post #1 of 42
Thread Starter 
Microsoft on Thursday released an official Remote Desktop application for iPhone and iPad, giving Windows users the ability to access their Windows machine on the go.

Remote


Microsoft Remote Desktop is a free application available on the iOS App Store, compatible with both iPhone and iPad. It's a 12.6-megabyte download that requires iOS 6.0 or later.

According to Microsoft, the new application offers access to a Windows PC with RemoteFX. Features of the software include:
  • Access to remote resources through the Remote Desktop Gateway
  • Rich multi-touch experience with remote desktop protocol (RDP) and RemoteFX supporting Windows gestures
  • Secure connection to your data and applications with breakthrough Network Layer Authentication (NLA) technology
  • Simple management of all remote connections from the connection center
  • High quality video and sound streaming with improved compression and bandwidth usage
  • Easy connection to external monitors or projectors for presentations

Remote


Word of Microsoft's new Remote Desktop apps for both iOS and OS X was made by the company last week. New versions are also said to be coming to Android, Windows, and Windows RT.

The new Remote Desktop application is the latest in a series of gradual software launches for Apple's iOS platform from Microsoft. The biggest product still in the works, and hotly anticipated by iPad users, is a touch-optimized version of Microsoft Office.
post #2 of 42
Lmao! So it's out on ios BEFORE it's own products? Seriously, it sounds like the best decision MS could make in this case. Just bite down, accept it, and make the most of it.
post #3 of 42

I want to to punch my display every time I see that horrendous metro UI. Or whatever they're calling it these days. I've got a name for it, I know that much. 

post #4 of 42

Why?

post #5 of 42
Plenty of 3rd party ones though.. not really a big splash, unless it does something others don't.
post #6 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post
 

I want to to punch my display every time I see that horrendous metro UI.

It's not worth it man, it's not worth it.

post #7 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

Lmao! So it's out on ios BEFORE it's own products? Seriously, it sounds like the best decision MS could make in this case. Just bite down, accept it, and make the most of it.

This helps them avoid putting Office on iOS at less than $20 per app (to compete with Pages, numbers, keynote), yet allow them to gouge their own faithful…  

 

Clever Girl….

post #8 of 42
I wish iOS had native support for a bluetooth mouse specifically to control remote Windows desktops. Using Windows without a mouse is a pain.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #9 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Using Windows without a mouse is a pain.

What? Using WINDOWS is pain!

post #10 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I wish iOS had native support for a bluetooth mouse specifically to control remote Windows desktops. Using Windows without a mouse is a pain.

Not to mention the hovering in a corner to get to the desktop UI in 8. Supposedly a nightmare right now with other remote tools. So glad I don't support Windows anymore.

I wonder what is meant by 'Easy connection to external monitors or projectors for presentations'. Will that be Airplay?
post #11 of 42

I hope it works better than the OS X version. The OS X version crashes constantly. All you have to do is look at the screen wrong and it will quit unexpectedly. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #12 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

Plenty of 3rd party ones though.. not really a big splash, unless it does something others don't.

For one thing, it squats on 12.6 Mb of your iDevice storage.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #13 of 42
I'm not seeing it on the app store. Anyone?
post #14 of 42

Edit: Removed first post because I accidentally double posted.


Edited by runner7775 - 10/17/13 at 11:56am

iPad 16 GB(1st gen), iPod touch 8 GB (4th gen), iPod shuffle (2nd gen), iPod shuffle (4th gen)

Reply

iPad 16 GB(1st gen), iPod touch 8 GB (4th gen), iPod shuffle (2nd gen), iPod shuffle (4th gen)

Reply
post #15 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysisftw View Post
 

What? Using WINDOWS is pain!


Windows is easy if you are used to it. I have used every version of Windows since 2.0. For me, Windows stopped being a pain with Windows 95. But with version 8 the change is so drastic I broke my streak and I didn't bother. Windows 7 is my home for the foreseeable future.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

Lmao! So it's out on ios BEFORE it's own products? Seriously, it sounds like the best decision MS could make in this case. Just bite down, accept it, and make the most of it.

 

I've had the Remote Desktop app on my Surface Pro as long as I can remember.

 

Edit: Actually quoted the post I was responding to.

iPad 16 GB(1st gen), iPod touch 8 GB (4th gen), iPod shuffle (2nd gen), iPod shuffle (4th gen)

Reply

iPad 16 GB(1st gen), iPod touch 8 GB (4th gen), iPod shuffle (2nd gen), iPod shuffle (4th gen)

Reply
post #17 of 42
Office, hotly anticipated by iPad users? I think not. Pages and Numbers are more than enough, and they work very well with iCloud. And there's also Google's free QuickOffice. Nobody needs Microsoft's products anymore.
post #18 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

Office, hotly anticipated by iPad users? I think not. Pages and Numbers are more than enough, and they work very well with iCloud. And there's also Google's free QuickOffice. Nobody needs Microsoft's products anymore.

 

Except anyone who's owns or is working at a business that doesn't serve chicken wings.  I'm actually pretty sure they'd use office too, now that I think about it.

post #19 of 42

"giving Windows users the ability to access their Windows machine on the go."

Whew! Whenever I have to access a Windows computer, I feel like I've gotta go.


Edited by Cpsro - 10/17/13 at 11:29am
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnash View Post
 

 

Except anyone who's owns or is working at a business that doesn't serve chicken wings.

 

Except anyone who isn't working in marketing and doesn't need to follow whatever the old boys club is using to be accepted.

 


Edited by auxio - 10/17/13 at 11:32am
 
Reply
 
Reply
post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post
 

For me, Windows stopped being a pain with Windows 95. 

To each his/her own! I'm sure for some people DLL Hell is pure sweetness. Some people just love virus definition updates, scans, defragging and complete, annual OS reinstalls to remedy "odd" behavior, too.


Edited by Cpsro - 10/17/13 at 11:35am
post #22 of 42
Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

Except anyone who's owns or is working at a business that doesn't serve chicken wings.  I'm actually pretty sure they'd use office too, now that I think about it.

 

iPad. Three years now. Hasn’t needed Office. Sold to thousands of businesses and schools in the hundreds of thousands.

 

You’re obviously embarrassingly wrong. Why would you even say something like this?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #23 of 42
I wonder what kind of resolution support there will be. With airplay display and a bluetooth keyboard the only missing part is a bluetooth mouse before I can use an iOS-device as a thin client in the office.
post #24 of 42

By remote control is the only way I'd touch that train wreck.

post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

I'm not seeing it on the app store. Anyone?

Now showing up for me (when I do a search for "Microsoft Remote Desktop").

post #26 of 42

I don't have a Windows computer  but do have several Macs, iPads, and iPhones. Is there a Apple Remote Desktop app to control OS X out for iOS? 

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

iPad. Three years now. Hasn’t needed Office. Sold to thousands of businesses and schools in the hundreds of thousands.

 

You’re obviously embarrassingly wrong. Why would you even say something like this?

Well then those businesses are the exception then, the majority do use M$ products..  My apologies for the glib comment, it was meant to be funny.

post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post
 

Now showing up for me (when I do a search for "Microsoft Remote Desktop").

Yeah it took a bit, seems to work pretty well from the short test I put it thru.

post #29 of 42

deleted

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #30 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post
 

To each his/her own! I'm sure for some people DLL Hell is pure sweetness. Some people just love virus definition updates, scans, defragging and complete, annual OS reinstalls to remedy "odd" behavior, too.

Everything you say is true. I have been seriously considering switching to Mac someday. I never even considered it until I became an iOS fan.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #31 of 42
Team Viewer works better anyway.
post #32 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post
 

Everything you say is true. I have been seriously considering switching to Mac someday. I never even considered it until I became an iOS fan.

If/when you switch, don't expect any miracles, give yourself a couple weeks to get basically acclimated, and you'll do fine. You will be so glad to have rid yourself of all the time-consuming chores, expense and slow-downs associated with Windows management. It's also a nice feeling to no longer be contributing to the heavy-handed marketing machine of Microsoft, as embodied by Steve "Monkeyboy" Ballmer.

post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry91403 View Post

Team Viewer works better anyway.

 

While I agree with you Team Viewer is blocked by many company firewalls but RDP is often not in order to allow "Helpdesk" to remote control a machine.

 

Personally however I prefer Dameware because it can be setup to automatically install and remove the client on the desired machine when you try to connect to it. Nice feature that one. Saves on explaining over the phone how to install the client.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post
 

I hope it works better than the OS X version. The OS X version crashes constantly. All you have to do is look at the screen wrong and it will quit unexpectedly. 

 

That's because the Mac version of RDP hasn't been updated in about 5 years. There is however supposed to be a new version coming out for Mac shortly. Here's hoping.

post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post
 

If/when you switch, don't expect any miracles, give yourself a couple weeks to get basically acclimated, and you'll do fine. You will be so glad to have rid yourself of all the time-consuming chores, expense and slow-downs associated with Windows management. It's also a nice feeling to no longer be contributing to the heavy-handed marketing machine of Microsoft, as embodied by Steve "Monkeyboy" Ballmer.


At work I used a Mac regularly from 1987 to 1994 but things have changed a lot since System 7, where my familiarity ends.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #35 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post
 


At work I used a Mac regularly from 1987 to 1994 but things have changed a lot since System 7, where my familiarity ends.

 

You're the inverse of me.

 

I used to maintain my girlfriend's (now wife's) Mac for her in the late 1990s and found Mac OS to be positively archaic at that time.  Having to install huge amounts of RAM to prevent large applications from overwriting each other due to lack of proper memory protection, painstakingly tracking down extension conflicts, etc.  No thanks.

 

However, when I first read about Rhapsody (now OS X) and it's marrying of BSD UNIX (I was using Linux at the time) with an easy to use UI and backwards compatibility for existing Mac OS applications (something Linux was lacking), I was really excited to try it out.  I've been hooked ever since.

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

 


At work I used a Mac regularly from 1987 to 1994 but things have changed a lot since System 7, where my familiarity ends.

You're the inverse of me.

I used to maintain my girlfriend's (now wife's) Mac for her in the late 1990s and found Mac OS to be positively archaic at that time.  Having to install huge amounts of RAM to prevent large applications from overwriting each other due to lack of proper memory protection, painstakingly tracking down extension conflicts, etc.  No thanks.

However, when I first read about Rhapsody (now OS X) and it's marrying of BSD UNIX (I was using Linux at the time) with an easy to use UI and backwards compatibility for existing Mac OS applications (something Linux was lacking), I was really excited to try it out.  I've been hooked ever since.

Designing a great UI for a rock solid foundation was easier than fixing Windows.
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


Designing a great UI for a rock solid foundation was easier than fixing Windows.

 

Admittedly, Windows NT was a good attempt (the other OS I used around that time).  But OS X surpassed it in a hurry.

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #38 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Everything you say is true. I have been seriously considering switching to Mac someday. I never even considered it until I became an iOS fan.

Same here. Have been using Windows ever since I learned how to use a computer. Started with Windows 95, but I totally gave up when I learned about Windows 8 and it's totally "new" Metro interface. I thought to myself: "If I had to learn how to use an OS all over again, I might as well learn how to use a Mac."

And I did. Switched entirely to Mac and liking every minute of it.
post #39 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

Lmao! So it's out on ios BEFORE it's own products? Seriously, it sounds like the best decision MS could make in this case. Just bite down, accept it, and make the most of it.
If your meaning Windows Phone then your right (not sure who wants to RDP on there phone though). If your talking about tablets then no. There's been a win 8 RPD app since it launched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Not to mention the hovering in a corner to get to the desktop UI in 8. Supposedly a nightmare right now with other remote tools. So glad I don't support Windows anymore.
You just press the windows key to get to the start menu. If your on an RDP window the instruction goes to the remote machine. Not that hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

Office, hotly anticipated by iPad users? I think not. Pages and Numbers are more than enough, and they work very well with iCloud. And there's also Google's free QuickOffice. Nobody needs Microsoft's products anymore.
Unless you want to connect to an external datasource, and if your reports aren't running off an external datasource then your business needs to have a look at how it's managing it's data. Until the other products get this feature and get it to work simply, I can't really take them seriously.
post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Designing a great UI for a rock solid foundation was easier than fixing Windows.

Admittedly, Windows NT was a good attempt (the other OS I used around that time).  But OS X surpassed it in a hurry.

I agree; NT, with SP3, was quite stable. I was the least annoying OS Microsoft ever released. Hardly any pop-ups when connecting stuff, hardly any 'it looks like you're (...), shall I (...) crap.

Though there was the occasional error. Weird error, like copying a user profile that was also logged in: "Copy Profile error. The command completed successfully"

Or this one:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft launches official Remote Desktop app for Apple's iOS