or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple begins decorating Yerba Buena Center for Tuesday's iPad event [u]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple begins decorating Yerba Buena Center for Tuesday's iPad event [u]

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
San Francisco's Yerba Buena Center for the Arts is starting to get Apple's traditional promotional window dressing ahead of the company's Oct. 22 iPad event.

iPad event prep


The decoration, seen in a photo by AppleInsider reader David Jones, appears to match Apple's Tuesday invitations for the event, with multicolored "leaves" from Apple's logo scattered in the background. The Yerba Buena Center is one of Apple's most preferred venues for product showcases, having hosted the original iPad's 2010 introduction, among others.

Also spotted was a design schematic depicting the finished layout.

iPad event prep


Apple is expected to unveil a redesigned 9.7-inch iPad featuring a thinner build and narrower bezels around the display alongside a Retina display-equipped iPad mini at the Oct. 22 event. Both devices are rumored to be available in Apple's new gold and space gray color schemes, introduced in September with the iPhone 5s.

The company will also likely show off updates to the next-generation Mac Pro desktop and OS X Mavericks operating system at the event. The new Mac Pro, which Apple will build in the United States, is rumored for a November launch, while Mavericks has already gone golden master and may be released before October is out.

AppleInsider will be on site for Tuesday's event and will bring live coverage alongside hands-on first impressions for any new devices.
post #2 of 36
Funny how it has become the 'iPad event'. In my mind this is the 'Mavericks event'. Not that I have any info but the graphics are different enough from IOS to make me think this is not all IOS related.
post #3 of 36

I think it's the color palette. Nothing I've seen in Mavericks makes me think that all those pastels are pointing to OS X.

post #4 of 36

 I can't wait. The iPads are such a big part of Apple now...

 

It will be interesting to see what they say about iPods, if anything.

 

iPods may be addressed closer to Xmas, though.

 

I would encourage everyone to watch the Keynote....the Keynotes are always interesting. :)

post #5 of 36

When their new Campus 2 presentation centre is built, they should just put LCD displays all over the walls instead of these silly analog posters

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply
post #6 of 36
I will not bother you with my wishful thinking....
...........
Would love to have one Mavericks event feat. Re-engineered iWork, iLife as week as rMBP and MacPro. That would be a lot to cover.

Then one iPad update with ios7.1 and iCloud with, for instance, a storage capacity for photostream similar as flickr's (now that would make it a super sticky walled garden).
...........

OK, I did it again .... Sooooo sowwwy
post #7 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

I think it's the color palette. Nothing I've seen in Mavericks makes me think that all those pastels are pointing to OS X.

Hmm..those colors don't really look that pastel to me.
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

I think it's the color palette. Nothing I've seen in Mavericks makes me think that all those pastels are pointing to OS X.

That's a good thing.
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #9 of 36
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Hmm..those colors don't really look that pastel to me.

 

I think he meant to say iOS. You’re right; the sentence doesn’t make sense this way.

 

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post
That's a good thing.

 

A VERY good thing, though Notes is already ruined.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #10 of 36
I think the metaphor for the flying leaves has something to do with a new implementation of "wireless-airplay" something. That and the word "cover" makes me think about a patent Apple recently got for their smart covers and wireless charging ecosystem.
post #11 of 36
Maybe it will be a iPad Mini retina, plus a iPad mini "C" with last years iPad mini in a plastic colored case.
post #12 of 36

The leaves also look like different layers covering eachother . Maybe they have made a really good device + app to view the world in desired layers adding info to your world. Although that would be more a google glasses thing maybe.

post #13 of 36

I think "Still have a lot to cover" is just what it sounds like. iPads, Mac Pro, MBP, Software, etc. The leaves are just indicating it is an Autumn event.  

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #14 of 36

Mavericks.  Can't wait to see what performance boost it might bring.

 

Hoping  to see more about the MacPro (doubt it will come in colors, though!).

And don't forget the mini.

 

With iOS7 (which I cannot stand) as standard now, I am no longer a potential iDevice customer; used to by one or two every year.  That said, I hope the new iPads are great and sell well so that Apple can continue to develop things and maybe I will buy when iOS8 comes out.  Or iOS9.  But perhaps my tastes are getting dated and times will pass me by; that day was sure to come but it might have arrived earlier than I had hoped...

 

With the money I will save I can trick my MacPro out just a little more.  Yay!

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post
 

 I can't wait. The iPads are such a big part of Apple now...

 

It's amazing that the iPhone got a small launch on their campus while the iPad gets the Yerba Buena Center in San Francisco. Certainly a sign of the times at Apple (although the iPhone still greatly dwarfs the iPad in profits for Apple).

post #16 of 36
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Its amazing that the iPhone got a small launch on their campus

 

iPod.

 
Certainly a sign of the times at Apple

 

iPhone got MacWorld AND WWDC that year.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

It's amazing that the iPhone got a small launch on their campus while the iPad gets the Yerba Buena Center in San Francisco. Certainly a sign of the times at Apple (although the iPhone still greatly dwarfs the iPad in profits for Apple).
Probably becaus all they were ready to announce was the iPhone. No need for a bigger place if there's only one product to announce. One could say iPhone is still most important because it got an event all to itself whereas the iPad is sharing the stage with Macs and possibly Apple TV.
post #18 of 36

"We have a lot more to cover"?

This might be too literal, but I think the "one more thing" is going to be something crazy with the ipad covers. There are already rumors that the hinges aren't the same as before.

post #19 of 36
For some reason, I'm not buying that this will be an iPad, Mavericks/Mac Pro-only event, it would feel too routine. I think the tag line along with the more colourful than usual invite rather suggests that they want to discuss a large video display, perhaps the long rumoured true Apple TV or a retina iMac?
post #20 of 36
Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post
perhaps the long rumored true Apple TV or a retina iMac?

 

They’re not making a TV and the iMac was just updated three weeks ago; it can’t get retina now.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

 I can't wait. The iPads are such a big part of Apple now...

It will be interesting to see what they say about iPods, if anything.

iPods may be addressed closer to Xmas, though.

I would encourage everyone to watch the Keynote....the Keynotes are always interesting. 1smile.gif


I'm holding out buying a new iPod Nano to see if they introduce a new one at any point this year. I agree, probably closer to Christmas.

As for iPad, I have a 1st Gen and a 2, I skipped the 3 and 4. I honestly believe Steve Jobs would never have greenlighted those last two, even with a Retina, simply because they were thicker and heavier than their predecessor. That's not like Apple at all and I believe he would have tore up their design and demanded them to "start over and don't come back til you have it right!" I may or may not trade in my 1st Gen for a 5, depending on how good it is. (Never getting rid of my 2) I'll wait for the Keynote.

I fully agree with Christopher126, they are amazing to watch! I have all the ones available on Podcasts and many others saved on my laptop.
post #22 of 36
Big, it will be.
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDavid311 View Post



 I honestly believe Steve Jobs would never have greenlighted

 

I think the same about iOS7.  I recall reading he was fussy even about button size, down to the pixel.  iOS7 is just too dang small, unclear and bright.  Thankfully my 2nd gen iPad is in perfect condition so I will continue using it for some time to come.  

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post
 

When their new Campus 2 presentation centre is built, they should just put LCD displays all over the walls instead of these silly analog posters

 

They'd better be IGZO.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDavid311 View Post

As for iPad, I have a 1st Gen and a 2, I skipped the 3 and 4. I honestly believe Steve Jobs would never have greenlighted those last two, even with a Retina, simply because they were thicker and heavier than their predecessor. That's not like Apple at all and I believe he would have tore up their design and demanded them to "start over and don't come back til you have it right!" I may or may not trade in my 1st Gen for a 5, depending on how good it is. (Never getting rid of my 2) I'll wait for the Keynote.

 

It doesn't matter.

Like Scott Forstall, Steve is no longer an officer of the company and has no say in how it is run.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #26 of 36
I solved it- a new Apple TV with an antenna for network coverage. 1biggrin.gif
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #27 of 36
Originally Posted by TheDavid311 View Post
I honestly believe Steve Jobs would never have greenlighted those last two, even with a Retina, simply because they were thicker and heavier than their predecessor.

 

You have to shut up. It’s for your own good; you look like a complete idiot.

 

Selection of products released by Apple under Steve Jobs that were heavier and/or thicker than their predecessors:

iMac (24” last-gen white) –> iMac (24” first-gen aluminum)

Mac Mini (Late 2009) –> Mac Mini (Mid 2010)

PowerMac G4 (AGP) –> PowerMac G4 (GigE)

PowerMac G4 (QuickSilver) –> PowerMac G4 (MDD)

PowerMac G4 (MDD 2003) –> PowerMac G5

PowerMac G5 –> PowerMac G5 (June 2004)

MacBook (Mid 2009) –> MacBook (Late 2009)

MacBook Air (13” Late 2010) –> MacBook Air (13” Mid 2011)

MacBook Pro (Early 2008) –> MacBook Pro (Late 2008)*

PowerBook G3 (Bronze) –> PowerBook G3 (FireWire)

PowerBook G4 (last-gen Titanium) –> PowerBook G4 (15” first-gen aluminum)

PowerBook G4 (DLSD) –> MacBook Pro

Xserve G4 –> Xserve G5

Apple Studio Display (17”) –> Apple Studio Display (17” ADC)

Apple USB Mouse (puck) –> Apple Pro Mouse

Apple USB Keyboard –> Apple Pro Keyboard

AirPort Extreme (802.11g) –> AirPort Extreme (802.11n)

AirPort Extreme (802.11n 5th gen) –> AirPort Extreme (802.11ac)

 

And now the “really important” stuff; the stuff that makes you look like a fool the most.

iPhone –> iPhone 3G

iPhone 3G –> iPhone 3GS

iPhone 4 –> iPhone 4S

iPod (4th gen) –> iPod photo (4.5th gen)

iPod nano (2nd gen) –> iPod nano (3rd gen)

iPod touch –> iPod touch (2nd gen)

 

*Yes, both screen sizes of the first unibody revision were LARGER and HEAVIER than their predecessors.


Edited by Tallest Skil - 10/18/13 at 8:22am

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Tallest Skil: four letters for you: d, a, m, n.

Better don't get you started on some Apple stuff, hein? 1smile.gif1smile.gif1smile.gif
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

I think it's the color palette. Nothing I've seen in Mavericks makes me think that all those pastels are pointing to OS X.

Color,
Timing (it was this time last year that the last iPad event was held).
Fact that Mavericks was already presented and anything here would be likely a very casual mention of the date and pricing.

A phrase like 'a lot more to cover' implies they are going to focus in the things apple hasn't had in a keynote or released on the QT already and the big for that is iPads

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You have to shut up. It’s for your own good; you look like a complete idiot.

Selection of products released by Apple under Steve Jobs that were heavier and/or thicker than their predecessors:
iMac (
24” last-gen white) –> iMac (24” first-gen aluminum)

Mac Mini (Late 2009) –> Mac Mini (Mid 2010)
PowerMac G4 (AGP) –> PowerMac G4 (GigE)
PowerMac G4 (QuickSilver) –> PowerMac G4 (MDD)
PowerMac G4 (MDD 2003) –> PowerMac G5
PowerMac G5 –> PowerMac G5 (June 2004)
MacBook (Mid 2009) –> MacBook (Late 2009)
MacBook Air (13” Late 2010) –> MacBook Air (13” Mid 2011)
MacBook Pro (Early 2008) –> MacBook Pro (Late 2008)*
PowerBook G3 (Bronze) –> PowerBook G3 (FireWire)
PowerBook G4 (last-gen Titanium) –> PowerBook G4 (15” first-gen aluminum)
PowerBook G4 (DLSD) –> MacBook Pro
Xserve G4 –> Xserve G5
Apple Studio Display (17”) –> Apple Studio Display (17” ADC)
Apple USB Mouse (puck) –> Apple Pro Mouse
Apple USB Keyboard –> Apple Pro Keyboard
AirPort Extreme (802.11g) –> AirPort Extreme (802.11n)
AirPort Extreme (802.11n 5th gen) –> AirPort Extreme (802.11ac)

And now the “really important” stuff; the stuff that makes you look like a fool the most.
iPhone –> iPhone 3G
iPhone 3G –> iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4 –> iPhone 4S
iPod (4th gen) –> iPod photo (4.5th gen)
iPod nano (2nd gen) –> iPod nano (3rd gen)
iPod touch –> iPod touch (2nd gen)

*Yes, both screen sizes of the first unibody revision were LARGER and HEAVIER than their predecessors.

You have far too much time on your hands and a peculiar way in which you use it. Your retort is a little excessive and unnecessarily harsh (not that that's anything new.)

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #31 of 36
I'd love a gold iPad Mini w/ retina. I'm sure that one will be hard to get though.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingbull View Post


Then one iPad update with ios7.1 and iCloud with, for instance, a storage capacity for photostream similar as flickr's

1. Such an iCloud update is more likely to be mentioned with iPhones
2. Shared photostreams, especially with the public website, basically is there. Only difference is the lack of a public homepage, which I admit is something I wouldn't mind Apple bringing back

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #33 of 36
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post
You have far too much time on your hands and a peculiar way in which you use it. Your retort is a little excessive and unnecessarily harsh (not that that's anything new.)

 

I’m sick of FUD.

 

Simple.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’m sick of FUD.

Simple.

Take it easy man. You're going to give yourself a heart attack. You sound like me arguing with people about the recent government shutdown 1smile.gif

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #35 of 36
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post
Take it easy man. You're going to give yourself a heart attack. You sound like me arguing with people about the recent government shutdown 1smile.gif

 

Oh, that was YOU, was it?! Well, it was [name]’s fault! [Gender pronoun] caused the [political party] to shut the government down, and you KNOW IT!

 

:p

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

For some reason, I'm not buying that this will be an iPad, Mavericks/Mac Pro-only event, it would feel too routine. I think the tag line along with the more colourful than usual invite rather suggests that they want to discuss a large video display, perhaps the long rumoured true Apple TV or a retina iMac?

Personally I think the reason for the bigger venue is the desire for a large and more diverse audience. Some sites focus in computers not devices so they wouldn't care about the iPhone. But there would be something here for them. And even some general tech and entertainment type media might be on the list

Why? Because this is the final announcement. Everything for the year they haven't talked about or done.

So what kind of stuff, it some or all of:
iPads
Mavericks release date and pricing
iOS/OS iLife and iWork
Pro apps
Apple TV STB revamp for AC wifi, perhaps also h.265 support
Mac Pro release date
New cinema displays, hopefully with HDMI and new sizes to make them useful as a TV screen and even perhaps 4k computer monitor use
New stuff in the iTunes stores, such as h.265 support both for small files and better quality. Pricing, release dates, finally getting extras back on the ATV and into iPads if not also iPhones. Better discovery
New Mac mini
New notebooks

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple begins decorating Yerba Buena Center for Tuesday's iPad event [u]
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple begins decorating Yerba Buena Center for Tuesday's iPad event [u]