or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple seeds OS X 10.9 Mavericks Server GM to developers ahead of Oct. 22 special event

Apple seeds OS X 10.9 Mavericks Server GM to developers ahead of Oct. 22 special event

post #1 of 39
Apple on Friday released the Golden Master version of its upcoming OS X 10.9 Mavericks Server to developers, signaling that work on the forthcoming software has been completed.

Mavericks Server GM

Friday's seed, dubbed build 13S440, comes a little over two weeks after Apple issued the final version of OS X 10.9 Mavericks to developers at the beginning of October.

With both the consumer and server versions of the next-generation Mac operating system seeded, it is anticipated that Apple will soon release Mavericks to the public. While no official release date has been set, the OS is anticipated to be announced at an upcoming special event scheduled for next week.

Apple on Tuesday sent out invitations for its special media event, at which many expect the company to unveil a fifth-generation iPad and second-generation iPad mini. AppleInsider will be at the event offering live coverage from 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.
post #2 of 39
A tidal wave of downloads to follow mavericks launch lol
post #3 of 39

I wonder if the Safari scrolling bug has been fixed yet. 

post #4 of 39
Why does Apple still bother with the server version if they don't sell any actual servers?
post #5 of 39

Apple still sells server software because any Mac can become a server by installing it, just as almost any Windows PC can become a Windows server by installing their server software. The only things about the Apple Xserve that made it different from other Macs was the ability to be mounted in a rack and the fact that you had more flexibility with hardware configuration. Other than that, the Apple Xserve was just another Mac. The second reason Apple still sells server software is that it's super cheap and enough people are buying it to justify its continued development. And the reason Apple's server software is so cheap is because it's mostly just a graphical interface that allows an admin to access features already present in OS X. It's 90% about unlocking functionality that's already there.

Edited by gravenstein - 10/18/13 at 4:50pm
post #6 of 39

I couldn't agree more...well said!

post #7 of 39
IPv6 support in the server.app someday?, jeez!
post #8 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiepaul View Post

Why does Apple still bother with the server version if they don't sell any actual servers?

I guess you could ask why MS bothers with a server version if they don't sell actual servers, but the fact is Apple does sell servers and has never stopped selling servers.
post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Tim Cook View Post

I am running Mavericks 10.9. It is the most over-rated and fuxored OS release to-date. Apple once again changes things for the sake of changing them.My biggest commplaint...amongst MANY....you can't open folders in separate windows anymore...WHAT THE HELLLLL?

We all overlook things, act stupid, and make idiotic comments from time to time, but if someone does that as their first post after choosing an excessively trollish username I can't help but think you damn well that you can open new windows in Finder or have never even used Mavericks, but instead just spreading anti-Apple FUD.
Edited by akqies - 10/18/13 at 7:52pm
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

I guess you could ask why MS bothers with a server version if they don't sell actual servers, but the fact is Apple does sell servers and has never stopped selling servers.

Huh? Your comment makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. MS are not in the desktop / server hardware business. Plenty of third party builders perform that role. And MS Windows Server has a huge install base compared to Apple which has basically zero pennetration with OSX Server. Apple on the other hand are the sole supplier of compatible hardware with Mac OS X and decided to kill off their only dedicated server hardware. Apple is a consumer oriented company now.
My question is extremely valid and your rebuttal makes no sense.
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiepaul View Post

Huh? Your comment makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. MS are not in the desktop / server hardware business. Plenty of third party builders perform that role. And MS Windows Server has a huge install base compared to Apple which has basically zero pennetration with OSX Server. Apple on the other hand are the sole supplier of compatible hardware with Mac OS X and decided to kill off their only dedicated server hardware. Apple is a consumer oriented company now.
My question is extremely valid and your rebuttal makes no sense.

Your comment made no qualification that if a company stopped making a rack-mounted server then they should also stop selling server SW.

Note that MS does sell HW that runs Windows, none of which has ever shipped with Windows server.

No, your comment isn't valid because you fail to see the benefit that Apple's current server SW and HW holds because they no longer offer a rack-mounted server.
post #12 of 39
I am running Mavericks 10.9. It is the most over-rated and fuxored OS release to-date. Apple once again changes things for the sake of changing them.My biggest commplaint...amongst MANY.......WHAT THE HELLLLL?

This dangerous idiocy still up after two hours? Embarrassing.

you can't open folders in separate windows anymore

Are you sure you even know what a computer is?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #13 of 39
"Dedicated" server hardware. They no longer build 1U's, but today you could buy a mini with OSX Server if you wanted. So I am not sure why you care one way or another. If you don't like OSX Server, please.. don't buy it.
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by macotor View Post

"Dedicated" server hardware. They no longer build 1U's, but today you could buy a mini with OSX Server if you wanted. So I am not sure why you care one way or another. If you don't like OSX Server, please.. don't buy it.

And they only charge $20. It's no where near as full featured or as powerful as any other platform's server option but for $20 it's pretty phenomenal.
post #15 of 39
Quote:

I am running Mavericks 10.9. It is the most over-rated and fuxored OS release to-date. Apple once again changes things for the sake of changing them.My biggest commplaint...amongst MANY....you can't open folders in separate windows anymore...WHAT THE HELLLLL?

Hey, hey, hey, get lost...

post #16 of 39
Quote:

my IQ suddenly dropped to -1000

post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Friday released the Golden Master version of its upcoming OS X 10.9 Mavericks Server to developers, signaling that work on the forthcoming software has been completed.

Mavericks Server GM

Friday's seed, dubbed build 13S440, comes a little over two weeks after Apple issued the final version of OS X 10.9 Mavericks to developers at the beginning of October.

With both the consumer and server versions of the next-generation Mac operating system seeded, it is anticipated that Apple will soon release Mavericks to the public. While no official release date has been set, the OS is anticipated to be announced at an upcoming special event scheduled for next week.

Apple on Tuesday sent out invitations for its special media event, at which many expect the company to unveil a fifth-generation iPad and second-generation iPad mini. AppleInsider will be at the event offering live coverage from 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.

That will be more than welcome - a true update to a true desktop OS. I am tired of hearing about iOS crap. Oh, no - we are talking about the feature-deficient OS X Server...my bad.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
post #18 of 39

the sarcasm tag is /s.

post #19 of 39
I can't wait, think there are some great improvements. It won't cost much and I know I won't have the hassles I'm having with my recent upgrade to windows 8.1 on my other pc.
post #20 of 39

HAS SAFARI WINDOW LAG WHEN DRAGGING ANY SORT OF CONTENT IN THE WINDOW BEEN FIXED YET?

CHOPPA, CHOPPA, SLOW, CHOPPA...ETC.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

That will be more than welcome - a true update to a true desktop OS. I am tired of hearing about iOS crap. Oh, no - we are talking about the feature-deficient OS X Server...my bad.

Well, we haven't seen it yet, maybe they'll do a better job with this one than they did with 10.7 and 10.8.  After all, 10.6 Server was a pretty good release.

Somehow, I suspect they won't.

Apple's horrible recent server releases have left me in a really bad position, I'm not at all sure what to recommend to many of my clients.  I want to sell an all-Apple solution, but not only do I no longer have any server-class hardware to recommend, I no longer have a decent server operating system.  Windoze is NOT an option, which leaves me with a Linux solution, and while 10.6 Server was both reasonably powerful AND easy enough for my more advanced clients to do simple management tasks, Linux is over their heads.  Sure, it's more billable time for me, but that's really not what I'm trying to do.

post #22 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

HAS SAFARI WINDOW LAG WHEN DRAGGING ANY SORT OF CONTENT IN THE WINDOW BEEN FIXED YET?

CHOPPA, CHOPPA, SLOW, CHOPPA...ETC.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Yes, but I am still getting the issue where I open Finder via an app and it takes many seconds before it will show the contents of the folder.

Also, why does Apple make Finder items load so much just to show you a simple file structure. When I'm at a remote location using WiFi, like at a Starbucks, it's faster for me to use Back To My Mac screen sharing to access my iMac at home then bring up Finder than it is to simply access the file structure from within Finder in Back To My Mac.
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

Well, we haven't seen it yet, maybe they'll do a better job with this one than they did with 10.7 and 10.8.  After all, 10.6 Server was a pretty good release.

Somehow, I suspect they won't.

Apple's horrible recent server releases have left me in a really bad position, I'm not at all sure what to recommend to many of my clients.  I want to sell an all-Apple solution, but not only do I no longer have any server-class hardware to recommend, I no longer have a decent server operating system.  Windoze is NOT an option, which leaves me with a Linux solution, and while 10.6 Server was both reasonably powerful AND easy enough for my more advanced clients to do simple management tasks, Linux is over their heads.  Sure, it's more billable time for me, but that's really not what I'm trying to do.

Yep, indeed my feeling as well. For another example, just look at the disaster called AirPort Utility 6 compared to 5.6 - I have never deleted the latter and still use it for my Extreme base, of course.

post #24 of 39
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Is this endemic to just the Server version of OS X? Because it has never happened, ever, with any DP of Mavericks plain.

Yes, but I am still getting the issue where I open Finder via an app and it takes many seconds before it will show the contents of the folder.

That’s just due to your hard drives spinning down when idle and having to spin back up to load said content into RAM. I’ve noticed it takes a little longer in Mavericks than previously. 

There are still quite a few issues in Finder in the GM. Files don’t appear properly when you create them, renaming doesn’t show up right, and if you’re QuickLooking through several files with the arrow keys and want to move back and forth, they either blank out entirely or QuickLook crashes.

This is pretty basic stuff that shouldn’t have stuck in the OS past DP1… :\

Oh, and of course, Dashboard’s weather widget refuses to stay where I put it. CONSTANTLY moving every time it loads, and has been in every version of OS X since 10.4.6. 

post #25 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That’s just due to your hard drives spinning down when idle and having to spin back up to load said content into RAM. I’ve noticed it takes a little longer in Mavericks than previously.

There are still quite a few issues in Finder in the GM. Files don
’t appear properly when you create them, renaming doesn’t show up right, and if you’re QuickLooking through several files with the arrow keys and want to move back and forth, they either blank out entirely or QuickLook crashes.

This is pretty basic stuff that shouldn’t have stuck in the OS past DP1… 1hmm.gif

Oh, and of course, Dashboard’s weather widget refuses to stay where I put it. CONSTANTLY moving every time it loads, and has been in every version of OS X since 10.4.6. 

All my Macs use SSDs, it's present in all Macs, including the one I started as a fresh installation, and this only started after a few of the Mavericks betas.

As for Dashboard widgets, since Apple can't monetize them they seem to not care about them yet also can't seem to get rid of it. It seems strange that they can't properly pin something to a relative point on a display, which includes Finder windows maintain their size and place, and columns within the window maintaining their size. I'd even settle for column width's autosizing to the longest file name so I don't have to drag that small area on the bottom to read names in column view.
post #26 of 39
I understand one of the many benefits of osx server is that, not like windows servers, it supports standards like webDAV. That means that in the intranet, ipad clients can be content producers, as the documents can be saved in the intranet (and not only in the cloud), then shared, seen and edited by osx or even windows clients on common computers.
Imo, this makes osx server trully strategic in the planned expansion of IOS use in the enterprise.
The policy of microsoft has always been the opposite: adopting standards, then modifying them for propietary use, finally killing those standards.
post #27 of 39
All my Macs use SSDs

Ah, so that’s just Finder being unoptimized, then. Wondered where that extra speed loss was coming from.

post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravenstein View Post

The only things about the Apple Xserve that made it different from other Macs was the ability to be mounted in a rack and the fact that you had more flexibility with hardware configuration.

IMHO the only truly important feature of the Xserve was its support for LOM (lights-out management) -- the ability to power it on/off remotely. This can be accomplished with any other Mac, but only with an external remote control power switch and careful use of the "shutdown -u" command: if you cut power too soon, you risk corrupting the system; if you don't cut power to the system soon enough, you'll not be able to remotely power up again.

Secondarily, yet still important in mission critical deployments, the Xserve supported redundant power supplies.

Edited by Cpsro - 10/19/13 at 1:01pm
post #29 of 39

Mac OS X Server offers a reasonable option for many users* to host their own e-mail services and (generally) keep even the NSA's prying eyes out**. The NSA may only collect the message headers of your e-mail as it transits the Internet. If you send e-mail between family members that all use the same mail server, those messages are never transmitted in the clear over the Internet.

*Not most users, due to remaining technical difficulties and expense.

**Please let's not get into arguments over what the NSA can or can't do, legally or illegally, as I don't believe there is any question that hosting one's own e-mail server offers more privacy, particularly for intra-family communications.

post #30 of 39
Quote:

And they only charge $20. It's no where near as full featured or as powerful as any other platform's server option but for $20 it's pretty phenomenal.

Bought lion server for $20. Would have returned it if possible.

It was the most fux0r3d app I've ever installed on any hardware. The thought that someone would attempt to use it to host business operations was sad and laughable.

After setting many options only to have them revert after rebooting I reformatted the had and dumped it.

Don't care if they ever fixed it - could never trust a platform that was released as buggy as lion server 10.7 was...
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

It's easy to get a refund for iOS and Mac App Store apps. If it's an Apple product you get refunded instantly without it being reviewed.
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

It was the most fux0r3d app I've ever installed on any hardware. The thought that someone would attempt to use it to host business operations was sad and laughable.
[...]
Don't care if they ever fixed it - could never trust a platform that was released as buggy as lion server 10.7 was...

Professional administrators--those operating in a business environment--commonly wait for the 10.x.3 release (or higher) of Mac OS X Server before upgrading to the next major 10.x release. This avoids bugs, security holes or instability that weren't evident at first or that Apple's development team knew of but could not remedy in time for the public launch. Early incarnations of Server, which first appeared in Lion 10.7.0, were particularly buggy, as was the migration utility for users who were previously running Mac OS X Server. Server seems clearly to have been unleashed on the public when it was, just to meet a milestone, when the software wasn't even close to being ready. You are not alone in having wasted a lot of time on it.

The Server app obtained through the App Store also isn't half the story of running a significant Mac server.  The legacy ServerAdmin and WorkGroup Manager are also still needed under Lion for a (semi-complete) GUI management facility. Mountain Lion did away with ServerAdmin, with much of its functionality migrated to Server. Administrating Mountain Lion Server is considerably easier for small-to-medium sized operation--and probably more difficult for large operations. It will be interesting to see what changes and improvements appear in Mavericks Server--the trajectory generally seems to be a good one, though.

Edited by Cpsro - 10/20/13 at 11:24am
post #33 of 39
Quote:

Can I ask how many widgets you have?  I only ask because I only have a few (9 to be exact), and everything has always stayed where I put it. I was thinking that maybe if you have a lot of them, Dashboard for some reason rearranges them.  Just a totally random thought, on my part.

post #34 of 39
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Can I ask how many widgets you have?  I only ask because I only have a few (9 to be exact), and everything has always stayed where I put it.

Just ten. I couldn’t stand a screen full of clutter. :p 

post #35 of 39
Quote:

Just ten. I couldn’t stand a screen full of clutter. :p 

Ah.  Oh well, my "brilliant" idea goes down the drain. :)

post #36 of 39
LOM and hot swappable power supplies is the reason OS X Server is not serious on the hardware front.

The software side speaks for itself.

Long live 10.6.8 likely the last proper server version of OS X we'll ever see.
post #37 of 39
Quote:

Ah, so that’s just Finder being unoptimized, then. Wondered where that extra speed loss was coming from.

There is a new GM for Mavericks that was secretly released today.
post #38 of 39
Does Maverick audio and or video still stutter?

Stuttering has existed for 2 years. I recently booted up on 10.6.8 after using 10.8.x since it came out. 10.6.8 is very snappy compared to 10.8.5. Further 10.6 does not stutter.

Does Maverick return the snappy performance of 10.6?
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimoase View Post

Does Maverick audio and or video still stutter?

Stuttering has existed for 2 years. I recently booted up on 10.6.8 after using 10.8.x since it came out. 10.6.8 is very snappy compared to 10.8.5. Further 10.6 does not stutter.

Does Maverick return the snappy performance of 10.6?

I have never that issue with a shipping Mac OS X release so it's clearly not this blanket OS issue you are making it out to be.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple seeds OS X 10.9 Mavericks Server GM to developers ahead of Oct. 22 special event